Matt Fitzpatrick on SSN - "England are like Sheffield United....."

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Funnily enough, there were moments where we said exactly the same last night--not "they always let you down", more the complete inability to do really basic stuff !

I cannot beleive that if you are a fan of both you have only just come to this conclusion.
As pointed out elsewhere it has been like this since the 70s

England last night were just like watching United.

Drowned by expectation levels, 11 colleagues who appear to play like total strangers, thrown together without a system apart from maybe a single instruction to keep possession ( which leads to endless balls sideways in own half before the inevitable'hoof'), all players seemingly trying very hard, never enough men in the penalty area by the time the ball arrives ( unlike Iceland), every player trying hard but not prepared to COMMIT.

I wish the Blades looked a bit like Iceland. Nice kit, that would work as an away kit in red white and black, all worked like stink, knew exactly what they were doing, fit as butcher's dogs - reminded me of watching Bassett's Blades - runs for tin hat....

I wish the Blades looked a bit like Iceland. Nice kit, that would work as an away kit in red white and black, all worked like stink, knew exactly what they were doing, fit as butcher's dogs - reminded me of watching Bassett's Blades - runs for tin hat....
But then we'd have to act like their fans and all that 'ugh' ad infinitum would seriously get on my nerves. The Radio Gaga hand clapping was pretty impressive though :)

A

Drowned by expectation levels, 11 colleagues who appear to play like total strangers, thrown together without a system apart from maybe a single instruction to keep possession ( which leads to endless balls sideways in own half before the inevitable'hoof'), all players seemingly trying very hard, never enough men in the penalty area by the time the ball arrives ( unlike Iceland), every player trying hard but not prepared to COMMIT.
At least their twat of a manager resigned (before he was sacked).

What is it Woody! that makes players crumble when the pressures on playing for England and blades.Not comparing the qualities of both
as the gulf is massive,just the reaction both squads have to pressure.In my opinion fear is the culprit fear of the consequences of losing ,other clubs and countries play under pressure but very few react that rabbits in headlights.How do you solve it! both England and blades lose to inferior opposition ,in England's case and probably ours as well management is probably more to blame than the players as most of us would accept that both teams struggle to beat inferior teams.A good manager is able to take away most of the pressure and give the players. be leaf in what there doing ( Brian clough is a great example who would have made a really good England manager ) it is aside from basic coaching ability and we and England make a habit of picking the wrong ones.I can name managers who have this ability who managed both,not actually winning anything but getting the best out of what's available.
England. = Ramsey , Bobby Robson.
Blades == Harris,D Bassett, n Warnock.
I may have missed one or two but in my opinion management failure to get the best from what is available is a bigger problem than lack of ability ( a bit more nous wouldn't go amiss though ) how often have we and England come up short when the pressures on.
One can say the players should have more bottle ! but a good manager builds a team spirit we lack this.

What is it Woody! that makes players crumble when the pressures on playing for England and blades.Not comparing the qualities of both
as the gulf is massive,just the reaction both squads have to pressure.In my opinion fear is the culprit fear of the consequences of losing ,other clubs and countries play under pressure but very few react that rabbits in headlights.How do you solve it! both England and blades lose to inferior opposition ,in England's case and probably ours as well management is probably more to blame than the players as most of us would accept that both teams struggle to beat inferior teams.A good manager is able to take away most of the pressure and give the players. be leaf in what there doing ( Brian clough is a great example who would have made a really good England manager ) it is aside from basic coaching ability and we and England make a habit of picking the wrong ones.I can name managers who have this ability who managed both,not actually winning anything but getting the best out of what's available.
England. = Ramsey , Bobby Robson.
Blades == Harris,D Bassett, n Warnock.
I may have missed one or two but in my opinion management failure to get the best from what is available is a bigger problem than lack of ability ( a bit more nous wouldn't go amiss though ) how often have we and England come up short when the pressures on.
One can say the players should have more bottle ! but a good manager builds a team spirit we lack this.

Well I think it's about character - that of the manager to lead and him being able to put together a team full of characters.

Forget budgets about which so many obsess with on here. Look at the 'budgets' of Iceland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Slovakia etc. It's about managers and their characters who give their all for them. The sum of the parts adds up way beyond what England and SUFC have produced over recent years.

We need captaincy on the pitch. When one side digs in and defends like Iceland did you need a bit of guile to attract them up field or to try some different ways of nipping round them but English players don't know how to do it because they aren't clever enough, they have been told to do what the manager tells them and that's that.

You need unpredictability, imagination, creativity.

Iceland is mocked because the manager is a dentist - but that's exactly why they are good. Probably half the team have got degrees - they are cleverer than us....it showed.

We need captaincy on the pitch. When one side digs in and defends like Iceland did you need a bit of guile to attract them up field or to try some different ways of nipping round them but English players don't know how to do it because they aren't clever enough, they have been told to do what the manager tells them and that's that.

Iceland is mocked because the manager is a dentist - but that's exactly why they are good. Probably half the team have got degrees - they are cleverer than us....it showed.

Watching England was worst than having toothache . No chance of that with Iceland due to man in charge .:D

I don't know about Iceland but in the UK all a degree means is that you can afford higher education. The academic standards are so low you could shave a chimp and he'd get a 2:2. I work with people with 'degrees' frequently and have done since I graduated and some of them really are as thick as shit.

Anyway, I've heard it suggested that because many of the England players are young and relatively inexperienced they needed a 'touch line manager' like Conte and I think there may be something in that.

I don't know about Iceland but in the UK all a degree means is that you can afford higher education. The academic standards are so low you could shave a chimp and he'd get a 2:2. I work with people with 'degrees' frequently and have done since I graduated and some of them really are as thick as shit.

Anyway, I've heard it suggested that because many of the England players are young and relatively inexperienced they needed a 'touch line manager' like Conte and I think there may be something in that.

It's a touch line manager and senior players taking responsibility with everyone knowing there job on the field , that's required .

Bit basic but you get so many involved in the background , everything becomes complicated. It's not about a level of intelligence more common sense with all knowing there task .

England FA like a Plc or local authority . It will never change .

UTB

My missus said watching England is like watching United. Then she disappeared for an hour and came back with just 10 mins to go. Yes, Just like United, she said, when we can't break down teams at home. And aren't Iceland just like Bassett's team in the 90s. All effort.
Why don't we play like that instead of like England. Wouldn't it be cheaper and get everybody together again like when Warnock was manager?

Yes love I said.

I think I've noticed a trend.

Every team that beats us or England runs their bollocks off

Might be worth a try....:)
Wilson Kipketer and Mo Farah in midfield with Usain Bolt leading the line. That's most of the scouting sorted with a couple of continentals chucked in. Don't worry, I won't chuck my expenses form in, McCabe would shit his pants. :)

Would help if we had a system of play that suited the players, can make up for many shortfalls if everyone knows what they're role is. Iceland is an excellent example.

When has Sturridge ever been a right winger? Shrek in midfield? Joe Hart a keeper ;)?

Just strikes me of trying to shoehorn people in. I must play Wayne, he's my captain and Englands record goal scorer but Kane's had such a good season, so has Vardy, what shall I do? I know I'll play him in midfield.

Top idea Woy. o_O

Would help if we had a system of play that suited the players, can make up for many shortfalls if everyone knows what they're role is. Iceland is an excellent example.

When has Sturridge ever been a right winger? Shrek in midfield? Joe Hart a keeper ;)?

Just strikes me of trying to shoehorn people in. I must play Wayne, he's my captain and Englands record goal scorer but Kane's had such a good season, so has Vardy, what shall I do? I know I'll play him in midfield.

Top idea Woy. o_O
I think the emergence of Vardy, Kane, Dier and Alli just confused him. I think he more or less knew his team two years ago and was building the team accordingly. Then, when all these players suddenly came on the scene he was desperate to incorporate them into the side and, in trying to do so, muddled his own thinking.

I also think he demonstrated why he's never been a top manager. I don't think he can deal with pressure.

Back
Top Bottom