Matt Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
The problem for him last season was that Adkins continually played him out of position. He was a striker at Rochdale, we bought him as a striker and he scored goals here, whilst playing as a striker. He hit the ground running right after he signed season before last.

I think he could be one to thrive under a good man manager and someone that knows where to play him and how those behind him can play to his strengths. Hopefully he'll get back to his scoring form and along with the midfield, Billy, and a target man to be signed, he can chip in with a nice handful of goals.

Sharp's partner up front?

Will CW play a three man attack? Billy, Done and this elusive/mythical "Target Man" ?

Not sure where he's going to fit in at the moment in the first XI.

Played in the correct position, he's a real asset. He's easily the most intelligent player in the squad.

Just don't play him on the fucking left.....ever.

Let's not forget he missed a large chunk of pre season through injury so at best was always playing catch up injury wise. Players have to be adaptable and fill in the odd time here and there but Mattys talent was totally wasted by Adkins last season. By the end his confidence looked totally drained

I don't see any first team role for him. He's not good enough.

The only role I think he could play is Sharp's. But Sharp is better than him, far more reliable. He does more than just poach goals - which Done only did for a relatively short period btw.

No way is he a partner for Sharp because he's completely useless outside the box. They were horrendous when they played together last season. Done's incapable of link up play and usually makes the wrong runs. I don't know how anyone could say he's the most intelligent player in the squad.

Utility player, impact sub and back up for Sharp. No more.

Last edited:
His best position was as a lone impact striker up front away from home. Unfortunately what footballer there was in him was totally destroyed by Adkins and at Coventry ,his worst performance as a Blade he was a broken man. I really felt for him as he made mistake after mistake ,2 of which they fucked up but eventually they scored , but Adkins had left him out on the left with no protection in front from Adams or behind from McEveley ,he was just held out to sacrifice as player after player attacked him. I would have had Adkins up against the wall if I was him. Hopefully he can come back revitalised and refreshed with a point to prove and we may see a good player ,Wilder has already seen something obviously but what position ,god knows.

He needs to come back refreshed, confident and full of energy. If that's the case he's a decent asset to the squad, even if he won't be a regular. As I said, he's not good enough to start regularly but he is better than what he's shown recently, his confidence has took a hit due to playing out of position and always being forced to try things he's not good at. Hopefully he'll regain that confidence when he's given a simplified role further up the pitch.

Agree with most of what has been written can't see him as a partner for Sharp or Adams (or even McNulty). Was a shock signing (for me) when he came and I don't think we needed him even then but he seems a decent hard working lad with a reasonable turn of speed (2nd only to Adams in the seniors). Just stop him from wasting his energy chasing lost causes and there is maybe a super sub roll for him.

Agree with most of what has been written can't see him as a partner for Sharp or Adams (or even McNulty). Was a shock signing (for me) when he came and I don't think we needed him even then but he seems a decent hard working lad with a reasonable turn of speed (2nd only to Adams in the seniors). Just stop him from wasting his energy chasing lost causes and there is maybe a super sub roll for him.
I think one of Done's strengths comes from chasing lost causes. I'm sure he turned some of those lost causes into goals and good chances last season. He can't defend though. "Chasing" should only be done while attacking.

He can't defend though.

he did start out his career as a defender I gather, but it was when Keith Hill put him up front at Rochdale, in quite a central position, he really found his niche and was up there with the top scores in the division. Given Wilder hasn't transfer listed him I'm hoping he will play him to his strengths.

Along with Billy, he was one of the very few that really that gave their all and were fit to wear the shirt in this shite season we've just had.

Done was at best a very average left winger / left back at both Barnsley and Rochdale, however he excelled when converted to a striking role. Adkins in his wisdom decided to move him back into a defensive role, where he again was at best very average. This decision appeared to destroy his confidence, as he put in a series of poor performances. This was another of Adkins bizare managerial decisions, during his nightmare of a season in charge. He has a lot to answer for.
I cant personally see how we can fit Sharp, McNulty, Done and Adams into the side. Sharp as captain, will always start and it appears likely that we will purchase a target man type striker also. Adams may revert to the left wing again, but I dont see both Done and McNulty getting regular starts in the team and I cant imagine that they will be content being a regular sub. Regarding Done and McNulty, I suspect at least one, if not both will be moving on.
As much as I rate Sharp and despite how well he has done, we were already well of for strikers, before Adkins signed him. The money should have been spent on defensive signings, where we were desperate for replacements. Adkins allowed his desire to sign Sharp to cloud his better judgement, ploughing ahead signing him, rather than considering how our limited transfer money could be spent on positions in the team, where we were clearly desperate for new players. This is in no way taking anything away from how well Sharp has performed, however it has left the squad top heavy with strikers, who are very similar in both stature and style of play.

After playing up front earlier in the season its clear that Done isn't a good fit with Sharp, and no doubt wouldn't fit with Mcnulty . Despite our strike force being slow, the fact that Done doesn't use his pace to stretch a back four with runs in behind, renders his pace ineffectual(when we've got the ball). He will use his pace to good effect when we haven't got the ball, in order to press back fours. He usually runs laterally , but he doesn't understand the runs a pacy striker needs to make in order to provide an option for a through ball (or to create space for the midfield or deep lying strikers to operate in). Adams has a similar problem - often refusing to play on the shoulder and coming too deep.To my mind Done is a box man(like Sharp and Mcnulty) who is better than them at pressing the ball, but having worse link play, hold up play and aerial ability. As for him playing left wing back: this was done due to long term injuries to Kieron Wallace and Bob Harris (he never really played at Fleetwood due to injury). His game is also extremely physical and his lack of preseason affected him more than most, particularly when we had to play more than one game in the week.

I see Done as a great option in a 4-3-3 on the left side if we're wanting to press, or as a Peschi type player to bring off the bench for the last 20 mins to lift the crowd and run at a tired defense.

I think we have very good options up front next year - sharp, Adams, done and if we can put our hands on our pockets and buy Ajose from Swindon that would be some strike force.

I once went to a soccer evening where Matt Le Tissier was one of the speakers who summed it up for me when he said managers should play people in their preferred positions, sticking Done as a left midfielder was one of many atrocious decisions that stupid scouse cunt Adkins made.

His best position was as a lone impact striker up front away from home. Unfortunately what footballer there was in him was totally destroyed by Adkins and at Coventry ,his worst performance as a Blade he was a broken man. I really felt for him as he made mistake after mistake ,2 of which they fucked up but eventually they scored , but Adkins had left him out on the left with no protection in front from Adams or behind from McEveley ,he was just held out to sacrifice as player after player attacked him. I would have had Adkins up against the wall if I was him. Hopefully he can come back revitalised and refreshed with a point to prove and we may see a good player ,Wilder has already seen something obviously but what position ,god knows.

Spot on
A perfect example Sitters of why I said by the end of the season his confidence looked completely shattered. It's one thing to be asked to cover a position for a game or two but almost half a season? He was left totally exposed at times..... Just like Adkins tactics

he did start out his career as a defender I gather, but it was when Keith Hill put him up front at Rochdale, in quite a central position, he really found his niche and was up there with the top scores in the division. Given Wilder hasn't transfer listed him I'm hoping he will play him to his strengths.

Along with Billy, he was one of the very few that really that gave their all and were fit to wear the shirt in this shite season we've just had.
After being totally impressed when he came, Matt Done was rubbish last season. It's not entirely fair to say he was always played out of position. He started up front and was dreadful. He rightfully lost his place and was then played in a position he's played for most of his career, and was dreadful.

He appears to have lost even the most basic of ball control. He earned some credit when he first arrived, but at this point in time he's entering "wage thief" territory like 2/3rds if the squad.

UTB

He has the potential to be our Vardy.
Unfortunately we could keep wasting him and put him on the wing.... Like England will with Vardy.
But he's not going to displace Sharp, and doesn't appear to link up well with him.

How much of our 6th season in the third division should we devote to finding out if you're right?

UTB

Done was at best a very average left winger / left back at both Barnsley and Rochdale, however he excelled when converted to a striking role. Adkins in his wisdom decided to move him back into a defensive role, where he again was at best very average. This decision appeared to destroy his confidence, as he put in a series of poor performances. This was another of Adkins bizare managerial decisions, during his nightmare of a season in charge. He has a lot to answer for.
I cant personally see how we can fit Sharp, McNulty, Done and Adams into the side. Sharp as captain, will always start and it appears likely that we will purchase a target man type striker also. Adams may revert to the left wing again, but I dont see both Done and McNulty getting regular starts in the team and I cant imagine that they will be content being a regular sub. Regarding Done and McNulty, I suspect at least one, if not both will be moving on.
As much as I rate Sharp and despite how well he has done, we were already well of for strikers, before Adkins signed him. The money should have been spent on defensive signings, where we were desperate for replacements. Adkins allowed his desire to sign Sharp to cloud his better judgement, ploughing ahead signing him, rather than considering how our limited transfer money could be spent on positions in the team, where we were clearly desperate for new players. This is in no way taking anything away from how well Sharp has performed, however it has left the squad top heavy with strikers, who are very similar in both stature and style of play.
Sharp kept him in a job for 6 months ,would you honestly have trusted Adkins to bring in 2 or 3 other players to bolster a team that was basically held together by Sharps goals. Don't forget he never scored more than 1 in a game so he scored an important goal in half our games. We would have been in massive trouble without him ,one of the few things Adkins did , which harks back to his bizarre decision not to select him at Bury when he was fit.

If he's played on the left he's out of position, but if he's played as a striker he's not the right partner for Sharp.

Logically then you'd conclude that a partner for Sharp needs to be bought, and Done, when used, needs to be in his preferred striking role, which despite there still being the partnership issue to contend with whenever he's used, will hopefully see him chip in with some goals.

A good man manager like Wilder will realise the position he needs to be played and will allow for the above to take place.

Fair point mate but the bigger problem from the point of view of Done, is that he's lost at least 2 yards of pace and that is one of his few assets. Without that, he's just another average L1 player and therefore a waste of a squad place .......

UTB & FTP

But he's not going to displace Sharp, and doesn't appear to link up well with him.

How much of our 6th season in the third division should we devote to finding out if you're right?

UTB
No I agree,
Maybe he isn't compatible with Sharp of maybe neither of them get the right kind of service.
sharp needs pullbacks and crosses on the deck- in the box.
Done needs balls over the top and threaded through the oppositions defense.
Let's not forget, not only did our midfield have a zero goal threat but they created very little too.
That said you're right, how long do we leave it? And should we really have to buy midfielders just to suit the strikers we already have.

I think the pre-season injury hindered Done last season. He never seemed to get going at all. As alcoblade said, he started up front originally and if we're being honest he was very poor.

He can't link up with Sharp and to me has to be a backup option to him. It's whether he's happy to do that. With him, Sharp and McNulty we have three similar type strikers who need a partner they can link up with and it wouldn't surprise me if Done or McNulty left.

No I agree,
Maybe he isn't compatible with Sharp of maybe neither of them get the right kind of service.
sharp needs pullbacks and crosses on the deck- in the box.
Done needs balls over the top and threaded through the oppositions defense.
Let's not forget, not only did our midfield have a zero goal threat but they created very little too.
That said you're right, how long do we leave it? And should we really have to buy midfielders just to suit the strikers we already have.
It's a better option than trying to find strikers to suit the midfielders we've got.

If he's played on the left he's out of position, but if he's played as a striker he's not the right partner for Sharp.

Logically then you'd conclude that a partner for Sharp needs to be bought, and Done, when used, needs to be in his preferred striking role, which despite there still being the partnership issue to contend with whenever he's used, will hopefully see him chip in with some goals.

A good man manager like Wilder will realise the position he needs to be played and will allow for the above to take place.

But how do you know all this.

Done didn't come back in to the side until October after injury by which point you had sold your season ticket so unless you saw him a couple of times on the telly you have probably based your in depth, expert analysis on having never seen him play on the left.

Here's a thought...sell him.

He's proven he can score goals when played correctly and is one of the few saleable assets we have. If we're after a target man and we've got Sharp, with Adams as backup and (hopefully) some goalscoring midfielders/wingers to come, we're (again, hopefully)not going to be short of goals. Free up his wages and use 'em to strengthen area where we're weaker.

He looked like he'd lost a yard or two of pace last year and, frankly, I don't see where he's going to fit in. He's a decent player, but we have better in Billy.

I think the club should listen to offers for him.

But how do you know all this.

Done didn't come back in to the side until October after injury by which point you had sold your season ticket so unless you saw him a couple of times on the telly you have probably based your in depth, expert analysis on having never seen him play on the left.

Do you ever post about anything other than Barney's season ticket?

I came on to say it all depends on how Wilder wants to play, but if we are going to have 4-5 strikers then why not get 4-5 different ones?
Keep you're poacher (Billy)
Keep your pace (done)
Keep your wild card (Che)
Bring in a target man and
Look for a player with all the above.

Back
Top Bottom