Matt Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good player if he can only stay fit :)

One of a group of players with a future here on the comeback trail, someone who will cope with the championship should we make it, journeymen take note on his attitude and work rate, it's the reason you'll not get a contract at the end of this season...

saw barca lose at seville at the weekend and they were only missing Messi
bit like us without Done

Agreed. On Saturday at Port Vale, it was his fast reaction that enabled him to score when others would have still been watching the ball. Last night he did his trade mark non-stop running at defenders and the keeper, and was rewarded with a good goal. I also feared the worst when he went down heavily on his shoulder, but hopefully he will be fine this morning, apart from maybe some bruises. Matt Done HAS to start every game for me, he makes things happen.

Agree. Vital player going forward.

The trick would be where to fit him in side.

Unless Adkins has a complete change of mind and adopts 4:3:3.

Personally I would drop Sammon and put him up top with Sharp with a roaming role. Adams and Flynn on flanks.

UTB

Agree. Vital player going forward.

The trick would be where to fit him in side.

Unless Adkins has a complete change of mind and adopts 4:3:3.

Personally I would drop Sammon and put him up top with Sharp with a roaming role. Adams and Flynn on flanks.

UTB

Dronnie mate, Flynn was terrible on Saturday at Port Vale, and Adams was tripping over his own feet last night against County (usually awkward clumsiness that teenage boys have), so I think you have to have a place for Sammon, not only for his height and aggression but because he also has pace and can keep big League 1 defenders in their place.

My first thought is well Done (no pun intended) on 2 goals in 2 games.

My second thought is can we keep hold of him in January when the inevitable bids come in.

Dronnie mate, Flynn was terrible on Saturday at Port Vale, and Adams was tripping over his own feet last night against County (usually awkward clumsiness that teenage boys have), so I think you have to have a place for Sammon, not only for his height and aggression but because he also has pace and can keep big League 1 defenders in their place.
I see absolutely feck all "chemistry" with Sammon and Sharp.

I am assuming that Sharp is the first name on Adkins team sheet as far as strikers are concerned.

I have seen good "chemistry" with Sharp n Mcnulty (briefly) and Sharp n Adams. I would bet my kidneys that this chemistry would exist with Sharp n Done. A strong hunch !!

While Sammon is tall, he doesn't use this height effectively in my opinion. And I do not see aggression in abundance either, not that this is vitally important. Connor's biggest attribute is his work rate which I admit is impressive and will be the major reason Adkins selects him.

Flynn is not match fit and so we have not seen the best of him. JCR will do fine until the real Ryan Flynn is back to his best.

Flynn will play an important role in the coming months. His workrate, energy, ability to skin a man, supply intelligent balls for the front men to feed of and also chip in a few goals himself will prove vital.

We have all seen what a raw talent Adams is. On form, he should always start. If not, it's a role from off the bench, late in the game.

So the conundrum is and remains how do you accommodate Done ?

As the team generally lacks pace, I do believe that you DO have to play him.

So who is the fall guy ?

The potential potency of a Sharp / Done partnership excites the hell out of me.

So sorry Connor, it's back on the bench for me fella !!

UTB

Only the skill of the Port Vale keeper (who was brilliant by the way, one of the best I have seen in a long while), stopped Billy from scoring a sure fire goal when Sammon crossed in from the by line. I think they play ok together, but it is all about opinions of course.

Sharp and Sammon up front, Matt Done and JCR out wide, with Adams coming off the bench for one of those two as the game wears on.

Sharp and Sammon looked great at Peterboro ,still early days. Done played wide left for a while last night ,but he has a lot of movement and was all over their back 4. We have a lot of players who look better as impact players coming off the bench ,JCR ,McNulty ,Baxter and Adams especially. With this in mind I would go 4-3-3 with :
Howard
Freeman Collins Edgar Wallace
Coutts Basham Flynn
Sammon Sharp Done

Harris and Brayford straight into their positions when fit ,J Wallace hopefully into Bashams place with Basham back to play CB.
Strong bench with Baxter ,Reed and Scougal who could all slip into midfield and Adams, Jcr and Mcnulty as impact players up front.

Any front 3 or 4 (wide men in the 442) consisting of Done, Sammon, Sharp, Adams and JCR should be able to hurt teams. They won't all be fit and in form for every game of the season so there will need to be an element of rotation. JCR and Adams are especially up and down so would probably only play one of them at a time with 2 or 3 of Sharp, Sammon and Done.

It does mean that McNulty's chances are likely to be few and far between though and as for DdG.......

Any front 3 or 4 (wide men in the 442) consisting of Done, Sammon, Sharp, Adams and JCR should be able to hurt teams. They won't all be fit and in form for every game of the season so there will need to be an element of rotation. JCR and Adams are especially up and down so would probably only play one of them at a time with 2 or 3 of Sharp, Sammon and Done.

It does mean that McNulty's chances are likely to be few and far between though and as for DdG.......

I think that (as last night showed) Matt Done is an injury risk with his shoulder, and Billy seems to have more pace than when he was younger, although he can't keep that up for 90 minutes. I think McNulty coming on for Done or Sharp towards the end of a game is a good option.

I think that (as last night showed) Matt Done is an injury risk with his shoulder, and Billy seems to have more pace than when he was younger, although he can't keep that up for 90 minutes. I think McNulty coming on for Done or Sharp towards the end of a game is a good option.

Not convinced Sharp has gained pace. I just think his timing and speed of thought gets him a bit of space and perhaps some league 1 CBs are too slow to recover from that. If you watch Sharp sprinting over say 20-30 yards, he's still pretty slow. That just shows how intelligent his movement is to get in behind defences as often as he does given his lack of pace.

Not convinced Sharp has gained pace. I just think his timing and speed of thought gets him a bit of space and perhaps some league 1 CBs are too slow to recover from that. If you watch Sharp sprinting over say 20-30 yards, he's still pretty slow. That just shows how intelligent his movement is to get in behind defences as often as he does given his lack of pace.

yes mate, to be honest it is rare that someone would get faster as they get older, so you are probably right, maybe he is fitter as well though

Much as I like him, I still believe that we didn't need to spend £500k (or whatever the fee was) on Sharp, which means we now have 5 decent strikers and are still lacking in central midfield, central defence and now, arguably, left mid/wing. I think a combination of Done, Adams and McNulty up front would have been sufficient and we still could have got Sammon on loan.

Love Matty Done - easily one of the best signings Clough made, if not the best. For me, his attitude and play was defined by the goal he scored at the Lane v Peterboro last season. If all the players had Done's attitude, I'd have no doubt we'd be top of the league.

I can't see how we can leave Done out of the side based on what we've seen of him since he joined. Work rate like his is always appreciated at the Lane but it's not often we've seen players with his goal scoring nous. Similar to Adams he could be used as a winger allowing us to push to 433 when possible.

Back
Top Bottom