Matt Done

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

First season as a striker and has scored 16 goals so far. Seemed to have a golden touch but since been played out of position and dropped. I just can't understand the logic.
i don't get it either. .these players come in. play four games.. get benched .. vanish.. irrespective of if they play well or not it seems
edit.. just thought. he never played for Derby.. this new lad did i think??

i don't get it either. .these players come in. play four games.. get benched .. vanish.. irrespective of if they play well or not it seems
edit.. just thought. he never played for Derby.. this new lad did i think??

Four games is probably the average time it takes for them to fall out with Big Nige.

First season as a striker and has scored 16 goals so far. Seemed to have a golden touch but since been played out of position and dropped. I just can't understand the logic.
If you'd paid any attention to the updates over the last week or so he's been carrying a knock but presumably Clough thought he's ok for 20 mins and to do a job.

I'm not sure he was brought in as a striker, he admitted himself after his first couple of games that he's more accustomed to the wing but has done a job up front for Rochdale and for United. (No pun intended)

Personally I like him up front but would also look fine on the wing if fit and Flynn is out. Davis looks decent up front, but offers a different role.

I'm beginning to think Done is quite ordinary (or struggling with injury).

He reminds me of the much maligned Andy Gray. Signed mid season, starts scoring straight away but doesn't seem to make the team noticeably better.

Reactions: LSF
What about McNulty as well? Scored 12 this season and is hardly getting any time on the pitch.
Yeah got to feel for the lad as he was starting to show some good signs. He also played a good role on Tuesday when he came on, albeit with the game pretty much won.

He's a young lad though and he's still learning, plus I don't think he leads the line as well as Davis.

He'll get more chances before the end of the season and will grab some more goals

Yeah got to feel for the lad as he was starting to show some good signs. He also played a good role on Tuesday when he came on, albeit with the game pretty much won.

He's a young lad though and he's still learning, plus I don't think he leads the line as well as Davis.

He'll get more chances before the end of the season and will grab some more goals

He's definitely not the finished article but he looks a goal scorer and when you need a goal that's the type of player you want on the pitch.

He's definitely not the finished article but he looks a goal scorer and when you need a goal that's the type of player you want on the pitch.
Yeah agreed but I think the difference for me with Davis is that his hold up play allows the midfield to get closer to him. Holt, Flynn and murphy all seem to benefit from him holding the ball up

If you'd seen him you might agree, but, alas, you havent
He reminds me of the much maligned Andy Gray. Signed mid season, starts scoring straight away but doesn't seem to make the team noticeably better.
Good point Guesty, can't fault the lads commitment and pest like qualities, but he seems so uncoordinated at times.

Yeah agreed but I think the difference for me with Davis is that his hold up play allows the midfield to get closer to him. Holt, Flynn and murphy all seem to benefit from him holding the ball up

It's what you prefer in a striker I suppose. For me Davies has been nothing more than ok. He's played 6 matches, not scored and our record in those matches is won 2 drawn 2 lost 2. I'm not seeing anything in him that makes him first choice ahead of Done and McNulty who have scored 32 goals between them this season.

That's because there isn't any

I was surprised that he swapped Davis for done I thought he would want to add another striker on to the pitch and with the last 20 minutes to go Davis would have been there for the balls in the box
I think done, mcnulty and murphy would play well off Davis and could help all of there performances and create more goals for us
I just don't understand why we didn't chuck everything ato get the win today

I was surprised that he swapped Davis for done I thought he would want to add another striker on to the pitch and with the last 20 minutes to go Davis would have been there for the balls in the box
I think done, mcnulty and murphy would play well off Davis and could help all of there performances and create more goals for us
I just don't understand why we didn't chuck everything ato get the win today
He didn't have a choice, Davis was injured

He didn't have a choice, Davis was injured
O right I didn't know that still think we should have gone for it more even if it was playing murphy down the middle with done.
One of the problems I think this season is getting the ball in the box but not enough players making runs in the box

Makes me laugh, all this talk about Adams, Done, Diego, McNulty etc. being 'not quite ready', 'not the finished article' blah, blah. Do you think Crewe's team were all 'ready', 'the finished article' etc? No, but they ran rings round us for large periods of yesterday's game. And won.

Please don't fall for Clough's deflection techniques. The above reasons - and the utterly questionable 'injuries' - can't mask the fact that Clough is out of his depth in the bread-and-butter, week-in-week-out grind of the Third Division.

While he's waiting for players to be 'ready' or the 'finished article', other teams - with far less money and lower crowds - are getting on with the job in hand. Ask Barnsley.

At this rate, we could be bottom of the six local teams. What a fucking disgrace.

Last edited:
Makes me laugh, all this talk about Adams, Done, Diego, McNulty etc. being 'not quite ready', 'not the finished article' blah, blah. Do you think Crewe's team were all 'ready', 'the finished article' etc? No, but they ran rings round us for large periods of yesterday's game. And won.

Please don't fall for Clough's deflection techniques. The above reasons - and the utterly questionable 'injuries' - can't mask the fact that Clough is out of his depth in the bread-and-butter, week-in-week-out grind of the Third Division.

While he's waiting for players to be 'ready' or the 'finished article', other teams - with far less money and lower crowds - are getting on with the job in hand. Ask Barnsley.

At this rate, we could be bottom of the six local teams. What a fucking disgrace.

Back in November the manager indicated he wanted to play 4-4-2. Now he has two strikers he is presumably not confident enough in the midfield players he has assembled to play 4-4-2.

When he played both Done and Davis he chose to play 4-5-1 with Done out right. Get them up front close together man.

Davis was not showing any injury, nor was Baxter. There are injuries and injuries and excuses and excuses. If we had really wanted to go all out to win that game then both players would have continued. Just before Baxter went off he made two lungbusting runs to join Davis up front.

I think he took off Davis to protect him because the crowd roundly booed him when he took that ridiculous shot at goal.

To be fair when he hit that shot he had bugger all in terms of options.

Another game, another seat on the bench for Done. If he's not fit he should not be on the bench, simple. If a player has a groin strain the last thing needed with the Play-Offs coming up is 20 minutes on the pitch as sub so why have him on there when we had McNulty and Adams on there already?. With the play-offs coming up a player needs match practice and match-fitness.

It's dawned on me why we spent upwards of £700k on the lad - just to stop Rochdale scoring more goals and getting more points, we didn't want to play the lad at all.

It's interesting to note that Ian Henderson has replaced done in the League 1 leading goalscorers lists. How Done must be loving his football at Bramall Lane; I think he might be a little confused and a lot pissed off.:mad:

When selling the club to the lad I wonder if Clough told him we played 4-5-1 and he wouldn't be suitable to find a place in it? Total chaos.

Done actually started warming up about 60 minutes into the game, but then after a couple of minutes walked back in holding his groin. Maybe he was fine, but felt it again?

I'm not one to stick up for Clough, but Done did seem absolutely fine before that.

I'm beginning to think Done is quite ordinary (or struggling with injury).

I think sometimes we ask for too much. Done if truth be known , is a player who has spent his time at Rochdale , Barnsley and now SUFC . Just because someone signs for us , does not make them a instant super star . He is ordinary , or a championship club would have moved in for him . Done is a good average player but only a good average league 1 player . A red and white shirt does not mean he changes overnight , he is inconsistent , carries injuries , like a number of players at the lane , unfortunately.

UTB

Done when fully fit is dangerous at this level he's an opportunist striker .

Ask Rochdale if they want him back , think you'll know the answer.

Done and Davies will work but play them as a twin strike force not each doing his own thing.

Done when fully fit is dangerous at this level he's an opportunist striker .

Ask Rochdale if they want him back , think you'll know the answer.

Done and Davies will work but play them as a twin strike force not each doing his own thing.

Is it a situation then , that we don't play him to his full strengths , or out of position ( when fully fit ) . If so , a bit of a recurring theme running through the team. Just don't have a answer , without putting it at the Clough door .

UTB

Back
Top Bottom