Massive Squad but are we at Risk?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
How unlucky for the new manager that our two most expensive signings are out with long term injuries ( Brayford ( Dec?) and Done ( Oct?))
We also have injuries to the following senior players: Kennedy, Coutts, Harris, Alcock, Flynn, Campbell-Ryce.

We have ambition to win this league but in that context what would a Risk Assessment tell us?

1. Big squad with nearly enough players to field 2 competitive League 1 sides.
2. Loads of strikers and midfielders but really short of defenders particularly central defenders.
3. Confidence high and some momentum built in pre-season.

I have a big unease about this level of injuries to key players at such an early stage of the season. Despite the size of the squad, can we afford any more and who are the key players we especially need to keep fit?

In defence:

Howard.
Even if we give Long his big chance we need the option of Howard in case it goes wrong.

Basham.
Some will say for midfield and I'd say as cover as well for Collins and McEveley who are of an age that suffers injuries and we literally have no other obvious cover for them than Basham.

In attack:

Murphy.
For obvious reasons.

Sharp.
Without him our front line leadership looks thin, not disastrous but thin.

Looking at things differently, if J. Wallace could get fully match fit then he would become a key player. Adams, McNulty, Baxter, Reed and maybe Sammon all have the potential to make themselves key players over the next couple of months and maybe Freeman, but I don't think any of them are there just yet.

I know Blades fans are pessimists but these things happen to us. Take two of those key 4 out and we are exposed, despite our big squad. Maybe I'm looking for re-assurance from Forum.

anigif_enhanced-10778-1409183280-14.gif

How unlucky for the new manager that our two most expensive signings are out with long term injuries ( Brayford ( Dec?) and Done ( Oct?))
We also have injuries to the following senior players: Kennedy, Coutts, Harris, Alcock, Flynn, Campbell-Ryce.

We have ambition to win this league but in that context what would a Risk Assessment tell us?

2. Loads of strikers and midfielders but really short of defenders particularly central defenders.

I have a big unease about this level of injuries to key players at such an early stage of the season. Despite the size of the squad, can we afford any more and who are the key players we especially need to keep fit?

In defence:

Howard.
Even if we give Long his big chance we need the option of Howard in case it goes wrong.

Basham.
Some will say for midfield and I'd say as cover as well for Collins and McEveley who are of an age that suffers injuries and we literally have no other obvious cover for them than Basham.

In attack:

Murphy.
For obvious reasons.

Sharp.

Looking at things differently, if J. Wallace could get fully match fit then he would become a key player. Adams, McNulty, Baxter, Reed and maybe Sammon all have the potential to make themselves key players over the next couple of months and maybe Freeman, but I don't think any of them are there just yet.

I know Blades fans are pessimists but these things happen to us. Take two of those key 4 out and we are exposed, despite our big squad. Maybe I'm looking for re-assurance from Forum.

If all the four key players you listed were injured at the same time, their potential replacements would be Long, J.Wallace, Adams and McNulty. Most clubs in this division would love to have those players in their first team never mind in reserve.

Thanks to the "massive" squad that Clough and Clough's brother (Simon) brought together we still have quality cover for all positions despite having NINE senior players currently unavailable (you forget Cuvelier). Such an extensive injury list would kill most clubs but not us.

Your unlikely worst case scenario of a centre back and Basham both being injured at the same time would result in K.Wallace at centre back, J.Wallace in central midfield or Adkins signing the centre back he has already stated he will be doing.

If both goalkeepers are out injured at the same time, we have the option of Willis or bringing in an emergency loan goalie. No club can afford to employ four permanent goalies and I'm sure you wouldn't expect us to.

Are you suitably reassured?

What is apparent is that we can't start offloading large numbers of senior players until we start to get at least a few of the nine injured players back.

In defence:

Howard.

Basham.

In attack:

Murphy.
For obvious reasons.

Sharp.

You won't unfortunately get a reassurance from me at present.
I am concerned that people are putting blind faith in Adkins with what is essentially Cloughs squad plus a couple. He is not a miracle worker.
The fact that a few are out may actually help matters by having more of a settled team - too many players can lead to experiments - ie: Clough and Warnock and Bassett.
Gills and Chezzer is probably as best we can ask for as a start - couple of decent results and the crowd will settle down and hopefully the players too.
I suppose all I can ask is the NA approaches the games in positive manner, move the ball a bit quicker and take "our" game to the opposition - whatever that game is.
Whilst not being arrogant, we are bigger than most in this division - about time we started showing and proving it. We needs clubs to say "fuck me, it's Sheff utd on Saturday"

UTB

Maybe our next two signings should be a doctorband a couple of nurses

• Banned
The underlying point I'm making is that we have say 5 KEY players who can be relied upon to affect games and affect results on a regular basis. Two of those are injured already.

Yes we can always replace them with good players but to gain promotion we will need our KEY players to be available. Lose two more during the next month and we are overstretched.

Adams, Reed, Wallace and Baxter etc may well become key players but IMO do not qualify as such at present.

• Banned
If all the four key players you listed were injured at the same time, their potential replacements would be Long, J.Wallace, Adams and McNulty. Most clubs in this division would love to have those players in their first team never mind in reserve.

Thanks to the "massive" squad that Clough and Clough's brother (Simon) brought together we still have quality cover for all positions despite having NINE senior players currently unavailable (you forget Cuvelier). Such an extensive injury list would kill most clubs but not us.

Your unlikely worst case scenario of a centre back and Basham both being injured at the same time would result in K.Wallace at centre back, J.Wallace in central midfield or Adkins signing the centre back he has already stated he will be doing.

If both goalkeepers are out injured at the same time, we have the option of Willis or bringing in an emergency loan goalie. No club can afford to employ four permanent goalies and I'm sure you wouldn't expect us to.

What is apparent is that we can't start offloading large numbers of senior players until we start to get at least a few of the nine injured players back.

Not really Sothall, that sort of team would not get us 4 and a bit points every 2 games. We could function but not with automatic promotion form.

Not really Sothall, that sort of team would not get us 4 and a bit points every 2 games. We could function but not with automatic promotion form.

Maybe not but you're talking about a hypothetical scenario where 13 Senior players are injured for most of the season and we don't sign anyone.

Neither of those things is going to happen so I won't be whittling about it.

All clubs will go through a run of injuries to key players . Its how you deal with them , with the replacements coming in to the team from the squad . Last season we looked at times as total strangers , whether this carries on this season , only time will tell . Too many players can create you problems , due to chopping and changing , all the time . A settled side may assist us short and long term.

I actually dont think we will off load any players , and lets hope the training / physio methods improve both performance and injury recovery time.

Back 4 still the weak link tho.

UTB

Maybe not but you're talking about a hypothetical scenario where 13 Senior players are injured for most of the season and we don't sign anyone.

We are not on the same wavelength here Sothall.

I'm trying to say we have 5 KEY players and we have lost 2 long term. We can't afford to lose a couple more because we need KEY players to win games for us.

Like I say above, other players will develop and strike form and become key players but at this stage those above are the ones IMO.

You are absolutely correct in all you say but IMO it is the signing of key players and the emergence of key players and the return to fitness of key players that will win promotion. For long enough we have had hardly any game changers/ match winners.

P.S. I am not including Coutts, Ryce, Flynn, Harris, etc as key players, just injured ones.

Last edited:
What has a Risk Assesment got do with anything FFS, corporate bollocks gone mad

I don't like jargon either, can't imagine why i used it. Thanks for reading it anyway, oh and you will get an e-mail asking you how you enjoyed the experience; if you complete it you will have the chance to win two match tickets for any SUFC European Games.:cool:

I know we're allowed to swear as much as we want on here but I don't think the 'M' word should be allowed unless we're taking the piss out of that lot from the Rust Bucket. I suggest a £5 fine for anyone that uses it when talking about United.

You won't unfortunately get a reassurance from me at present.
I am concerned that people are putting blind faith in Adkins with what is essentially Cloughs squad plus a couple. He is not a miracle worker.
The fact that a few are out may actually help matters by having more of a settled team - too many players can lead to experiments - ie: Clough and Warnock and Bassett.
Gills and Chezzer is probably as best we can ask for as a start - couple of decent results and the crowd will settle down and hopefully the players too.
I suppose all I can ask is the NA approaches the games in positive manner, move the ball a bit quicker and take "our" game to the opposition - whatever that game is.
Whilst not being arrogant, we are bigger than most in this division - about time we started showing and proving it. We needs clubs to say "fuck me, it's Sheff utd on Saturday"

UTB

Last sentence. ABSOFUCKINLUTELY BANG ON.

I know we're allowed to swear as much as we want on here but I don't think the 'M' word should be allowed unless we're taking the piss out of that lot from the Rust Bucket. I suggest a £5 fine for anyone that uses it when talking about United.

Massive point WhiteHawk:cool:

None of us should lose sight of the fact that the manager was deprived of the following players yesterday and the thrust of the OP still applies:

Brayford, Done, Harris, Adams, Baxter and of course Murphy ( for differnet reasons).

Just imagine the manager's team selection yesterday if all those players bar Murphy were available.

If we keep in touch until Xmas we will power ahead.

None of us should lose sight of the fact that the manager was deprived of the following players yesterday and the thrust of the OP still applies:

Brayford, Done, Harris, Adams, Baxter and of course Murphy ( for differnet reasons).

Just imagine the manager's team selection yesterday if all those players bar Murphy were available.

None of us should lose sight of the fact that the manager was deprived of the following - ( you mention them.) Also none of us should lose sight -

That none of the above are a true CH.

UTB

Why risk just trying to keep in touch when you have the tools to get the required players in yesterday to do more than that?

In defence:

Howard.

Basham.

In attack:

Murphy.
For obvious reasons.

Sharp.

I was just going to post a ten paragraph thread about the exact same thing but instead I opened the door and went outside

I was just going to post a ten paragraph thread about the exact same thing but instead I opened the door and went outside

In early August? Anybody notice you've gone?

It is indeed unfortunate that we have so many out at once. On the flip side, if we’d not sold Murphy and failed to sign a replacement, we would have been better covered to cope with the absence of Che and Done.

I am looking forward to seeing us with a near full squad to choose from though. I don’t really include Tel or Wallace as I don’t think we can count on them being fit for sustained periods but Adams, Done, Brayford and Harris returning will make us a very strong side for this league (so long as we don’t lose Howard, Edgar, Basham or Sammon).

Back
Top Bottom