Mark Cooper quote after game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slim Man

Reaction score
How refreshing to see after some of the quotes from opposition managers and fans last year and previous to that:

"Fair play to Sheffield United: you could see they came and waited for us to make a mistake and when you've got people like Billy Sharp and Connor Sammon in your team, they only need half a chance. I thought we didn’t do a lot wrong today. We got beaten by a side who I think will finish top of the league. If you finish above Sheffield United then you’ll have a champions medal around your neck."

I didn't think this result was possible. It's the first time we've won at their place for about 20 years I believe. We really have turned the corner.

Positive Nigel is the best thing to happen to this club in my lifetime.

UTFB!!! :adkins:

Nice of him to say so but I hope the players don't start listening to that sort of stuff.

If the team start getting complacent and believing their own publicity it could all come to a grinding halt.

I'm pretty sure Adkins and his team have the nous and the experience to make sure this doesn't happen.

It's August.

Nice of him to say so but I hope the players don't start listening to that sort of stuff.

If the team start getting complacent and believing their own publicity it could all come to a grinding halt.

I'm pretty sure Adkins and his team have the nous and the experience to make sure this doesn't happen.

It's August.

WHF - absolutley spot on . If it was April / May 16 . i would go with it with caution. Kidology / psychology comes into play . We want / need grounded footballers , who are focused at all times . Us fans have to follow suit.

Great start but think Orient and Tramere . past seasons.

Adkins is the man , and he will have this , all under control.

UTB

Sounds like our opponents think they need to score two to compete with us. That's encouraging because it will produce open games games where it is easier for us to score.

It's August.

He would have had the same issue at Southampton with more resources

Conceeded only 1 in the last 4 league games as well. Always one game at a time but I like it so far.

Doesn't do any harm though.
Can do, when/if we lose a few games.
Go back to the comments after the first game or view the shoutbox on match day if we've not scored yet.
Show me the table after 20 games, I might get start getting excited. The season doesn't really start until January that's when we need to be in contention or even better leading the way putting pressure on the others to match us every week.

The most impressive thing about the performance was that they're a good side in this league. Watching them yesterday you can see that they will be up near the top and are one of the toughest opponents we will face.....we turned up and beat them convincingly.

Flatulent Bob,

I agree that you should always take early results with a pinch of salt because you can't legislate for good luck, bad luck and ref decisions.

The most important thing is performances and consistency.

But you can't deny that we've looked comfortable and deserved to win all 4 games.

I can only see this team getting better and there's a possibility we'll do a Bristol City and be well clear by Xmas.

We haven't been playing great yet (like we did sometimes under Wilson) but the efficiency and ease that we create chances reminds me of the Dave Bassett era.

It's all well and good cautiously safeguarding our clubs expectations this season and rightly so. Beating teams like Peterborough & Swindon would be seen as a good yardstick to judge ourselves by. Well, we've beaten 2 of the league's better teams and in convincing fashion too. It's the lesser expected clubs that we need to be wary of where complacency can creep in and throw us the unexpected banana skin game.

I'm sure as others have posted above, Nigel Adkins & his staff will make sure we don't enter any of these " Banana skin " zones without caution.

UTB

How refreshing to see after some of the quotes from opposition managers and fans last year and previous to that:

"Fair play to Sheffield United: you could see they came and waited for us to make a mistake and when you've got people like Billy Sharp and Connor Sammon in your team, they only need half a chance. I thought we didn’t do a lot wrong today. We got beaten by a side who I think will finish top of the league. If you finish above Sheffield United then you’ll have a champions medal around your neck."

I didn't think this result was possible. It's the first time we've won at their place for about 20 years I believe. We really have turned the corner.

We listened to local radio on our way from the game and heard the whole interview, which I assume you didn't, may be wrong of course, so apologies if I am. He didn't half go on about how small their squad is, their budget is, how many players injured, how many players on international duty on and on. Sounded as if he was fighting for his job. Got a bit boring to be honest.

Feet on the ground please everyone. Remember how you felt after the Gillingham game? Well I certainly do. EVERY game in this league is a challenge............forget that and two things will happen.......... (a) we will sound like arrogant billy big bollocks and (b) defeat will follow soon enough..............you have been warned.

It's August.

The perfect time to lay down a marker and scare everyone from September onwards that they have to face the Blades at some point.

Can't get promoted by starting in February after the January window, it's too late.

February time should be when your forecasting when you will make it over the line and by how much.

Never thought Id hear an opposing manager say that about us. Nigel seems to be doing everything right and long may it continue.

Yes it is good that other teams praise our manager. Perhaps it is all about courtesy, and respect, which is a two way thing. May the off field battles and aggro of the past be forgotten . This way, we would be far more likely to succeed in the loan market , which our manager used to his advantage when he managed the Saints.

This time last year there was outrage at our keeping the ball in the corner with 5 to go at home to Crawley Town.
While it is early days, its nice to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom