Losing patience with cloughs tactics

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mancblade1889

Reaction score
Why does Clough persist with playing Baxter in a position that doesn't suit his game. He obviously isn't a centre forward everybody in the ground can see this. When Clough brings Baxter off why push Murphy down the middle. My opinion should have brought Baxter and Flynn off and put JCR and Che Adams on who is a CF. He may be young and raw but is a striker by trade. Ryan Flynn as much as I like his effort he couldn't beat an egg and bottles every challenge he goes into. This football is now getting very predictable and stale. These trips from Manchester for home games are now getting less appealing week by week. So come on board let's have a decent striker at the club to give Clough a different option than Baxter. Pretty please

Why does Clough persist with playing Baxter in a position that doesn't suit his game. He obviously isn't a centre forward everybody in the ground can see this. When Clough brings Baxter off why push Murphy down the middle. My opinion should have brought Baxter and Flynn off and put JCR and Che Adams on who is a CF. He may be young and raw but is a striker by trade. Ryan Flynn as much as I like his effort he couldn't beat an egg and bottles every challenge he goes into. This football is now getting very predictable and stale. These trips from Manchester for home games are now getting less appealing week by week. So come on board let's have a decent striker at the club to give Clough a different option than Baxter. Pretty please

Fair point but they did dominate midfield for most of the game

I disagree , i thought we were the better team in midfield ,it was the two end zones where we lacked ,the midfield had no one to aim for up front due to lack of movement ,and they protected the back 4 who apart from Harris were poor.
And Baxter showed he can lead the line at Doncaster last week ,I think his biggest problem is in his head.

best team we have played at BDTBL - including Bristol and Rochdale.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

Well done to their manager Johnson junior for putting a decent staring 11 together - lets see whether they are still in the game come February/March time or what they can do after injuries/suspensions, which will happen.

Crawley gave us a decent game and Gregory said that was the best he had seen them play - have been pretty shit to average ever since.

UTB

I disagree , i thought we were the better team in midfield ,it was the two end zones where we lacked ,the midfield had no one to aim for up front due to lack of movement ,and they protected the back 4 who apart from Harris were poor.
And Baxter showed he can lead the line at Doncaster last week ,I think his biggest problem is in his head.

yep - Baxter wasn't at the races today - probably to so with playing his old team - coupled with the fact he got done in the back twice and nearly did not come out for the 2nd half according to NC.

UTB

Feel a bit down after today to be honest. First half I thought Oldham looked comfortable. They were physically stronger, brighter, more creative and had obviously done their homework on United. I don't know if the weather (lots of rain) yesterday, caused the pitch to be heavy and as a consequence passes were under hit by United players which put Oldham in possession and on the offensive. Alcock was poor today especially in the first half. I think McCarthy could be affecting Alcock's confidence because McCarthy misplaces passes and then glares at Alcock and seems to be shouting at him.

Baxter was a passenger today, the poorest game I've seen him have.

best team we have played at BDTBL - including Bristol and Rochdale.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

Well done to their manager Johnson junior for putting a decent staring 11 together - lets see whether they are still in the game come February/March time or what they can do after injuries/suspensions, which will happen.

Crawley gave us a decent game and Gregory said that was the best he had seen them play - have been pretty shit to average ever since.

UTB

I would agree with that (best team we've had at the Lane). I couldn't believe how they gave us the run around in the first half

MoM for me was their No14, He controlled the midfield in the 1st half and was all over the place wanting the ball. We managed to subdue him in the second half.

Got to disagree there midfield wanted
Push forward where we look side to side for a simple pass which is great when 2-0 up but not when 1-0 down. I do agree about someone to aim but Baxter doesn't have the movement and runs a centre forward would. He gets the ball always with his back to goal and leaves himself with little options.

Baxter had his best run of form last season playing behind Porter. He scored 3 in 4 around December time in that position. This season too he played off either McNulty or Higdon and banged in 3 in 3. I really think we are wasting him playing him up top on his own

I thought they controlled the midfield for most of the game. They pressed us, won more loose balls and looked more composed for long spells. We had a good spell for 20 mins 2nd half but overall it was a point gained from a poor performance. Oldham were decent but as Swindon, Bristol etc have showed against us they are sadly a lot better sides.

I thought they controlled the midfield for most of the game. They pressed us, won more loose balls and looked more composed for long spells. We had a good spell for 20 mins 2nd half but overall it was a point gained from a poor performance. Oldham were decent but as Swindon, Bristol etc have showed against us they are sadly a lot better sides.

For the first time this season I'm starting to think we'll miss out on promotion again, although Preston and Bristol are both starting to slip up. Good win for Preston today. Yeovil also did us a favour

For the first time this season I'm starting to think we'll miss out on promotion again, although Preston and Bristol are both starting to slip up. Good win for Preston today. Yeovil also did us a favour

As POOR as we were today - we are actually 1 point nearer the top than at the start of play.

No damage done - not a step back or a step forward.

Played poorly, didn't lose and could actually have sneaked it - if Murphy had a little more composure near the end.

UTB

Here is my problem at the moment. Today undoubtedly a lot of players had a poor game. Our 2 main strikers are both injured and we are struggling to get anyone in. However I have a suspicion that even without these restrictions we would still have played the team selected today. Remember before Higdon and Mcnulty got injured he rarely played them. Today we had 2 strikers (I think they are strikers) on the bench but even with Oldham down to 10 men he still didn't put one of them on. I know they are only Kids but if you are not going to use them why bother having them on the bench in the first place.

I expect to turn up on Friday and see a similar team selection with Baxter up front on his own and Higdon and Mcnulty if fit on the bench. No new striker will have been brought in and we will be told we will review the situation in January and in any case we have now got plenty of options in that area. We will continue to fail to make a serious push for the top 2 and the whole cycle will repeat in the January window and in the loan window that follows.

I look forward to being pleasantly proved wrong.

We've been on a good run, but we must pay close attention to what we're good at and what we're not so good at.

I think we've done well away from home and have found a way of playing that is quite effective in that we restrict the home team and have some players that can create when they are given a bit of space.

In a couple of home games, Yeovil and Crewe, we've been far superior against teams in very poor form. Against reasonable teams like Barnsley and Oldham it's been obvious that we've not been good enough going forward.

Although Clough has seemed quite keen to address our problems after disappointing results, he's been unable to bring in the strikers that he's wanted. What's happened is that we've gone away and ground out a good result with a positive performance and maybe he's been lead to think that we're fine again, we don't need a striker that badly.

But it remains a fact that we haven't had a home win with Baxter starting up front since September 13th (Rochdale). I think he is yet to score as a lone striker at home this season. In the long run we can't expect our midfielders to score all our goals.

Should Baxter as a lone striker mainly be considered as an away tactic?

We've been on a good run, but we must pay close attention to what we're good at and what we're not so good at.

I think we've done well away from home and have found a way of playing that is quite effective in that we restrict the home team and have some players that can create when they are given a bit of space.

In a couple of home games, Yeovil and Crewe, we've been far superior against teams in very poor form. Against reasonable teams like Barnsley and Oldham it's been obvious that we've not been good enough going forward.

Although Clough has seemed quite keen to address our problems after disappointing results, he's been unable to bring in the strikers that he's wanted. What's happened is that we've gone away and ground out a good result with a positive performance and maybe he's been lead to think that we're fine again, we don't need a striker that badly.

But it remains a fact that we haven't had a home win with Baxter starting up front since September 13th (Rochdale). I think he is yet to score as a lone striker at home this season. In the long run we can't expect our midfielders to score all our goals.

Should Baxter as a lone striker mainly be considered as an away tactic?

Good post. I mentioned elsewhere that Baxter hasnt scored whilst playing up front. I really do believe we are wasting him. I think Clough is trying to get a team that incorporates Baxter and Scougall. For me it has to be one or the other if neither can play in a two in midfield

Please tell me what you will do when you've lost patience?

What you all fail to appreciate is that in this centenary year commemorating World War 1 Clough is paying homage to the British army's tactics. Advancing on a broad front with minimal penetration. In the later stages the tank became important - that slow lumbering unreliable vehicle - so expect Higdon and Porter to play a significant part.

What you all fail to appreciate is that in this centenary year commemorating World War 1 Clough is paying homage to the British army's tactics. Advancing on a broad front with minimal penetration. In the later stages the tank became important - that slow lumbering unreliable vehicle - so expect Higdon and Porter to play a significant part.
I suspect Major General McCabe approves

The main problem yesterday was the players poor form rather than tactics - Flynn, Murphy, Baxter and Scougall lacked the nous desire or touch to unlock the Oldham defence, Campbell Rice scored from the right as soon as he came on then immediately switched to the left when he insisted of beating the full back and then bringing it back on the inside before he tried to 'cross' and never looked a threat
The back four apart from Harris were woeful and well Doyle was Doyle!
What did disappoint me was that Mr Clough did not change anything in the last ten minutes to try to win the game despite the poor performances of the players on the park !
More a point won yesterday rather than two lost - Oldham did look one of the better sides to visit the Lane this season !!

Just wait until Mr McCabe splashes the cash in January ....oh yeeeeee of little faith.
Don't think its a matter splashing the cash.
The elephant in the room is players and agents see us as a pariah club that might damage their reputations. Until the board show some balls and say enough is enough we will not have ANYTHING to do with Evans we will struggle to bring in new players and make current players comfortable with this will we won't we charade.

Don't think its a matter splashing the cash.
The elephant in the room is players and agents see us as a pariah club that might damage their reputations. Until the board show some balls and say enough is enough we will not have ANYTHING to do with Evans we will struggle to bring in new players and make current players comfortable with this will we won't we charade.

I think your question is answered Blade56, reports are that Evans is about to commence discussions with several clubs. I smiled at the report I read, apparently Ched is disappointed at being let down by United, yep, it must hurt when you act selfishly and leave your club in the lurch. Even now Evans is making protestations that he's been let down. I wonder if he's ever given a thought to anyone but himself?

I think your question is answered Blade56, reports are that Evans is about to commence discussions with several clubs. I smiled at the report I read, apparently Ched is disappointed at being let down by United, yep, it must hurt when you act selfishly and leave your club in the lurch. Even now Evans is making protestations that he's been let down. I wonder if he's ever given a thought to anyone but himself?
If that's true blood I wish I could give you a thousand likes for bringing it to my attention. Any source articles?

Update - Found this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/convicted-rapist-ched-evans-contract-4677785

If true the hatchet shit storm will be nothing compared to Blades wrath. If true he's shown his true colours.

Last edited:
Think about spending my hard earned money and my very little free time on something else. Why you ask?
Curiosity.
So how do you judge when to stop going, When we've gone in to fourth, third, second or first place. Or perhaps if we lose a couple of places? maybe you're predicting a rapid fall down the table- are you?

If that's true blood I wish I could give you a thousand likes for bringing it to my attention. Any source articles?

Update - Found this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/convicted-rapist-ched-evans-contract-4677785

If true the hatchet shit storm will be nothing compared to Blades wrath. If true he's shown his true colours.

I saw it earlier on the NewsNow site (pretty reliable I've found). Seems it's on the Mirror's online site, they cite Tom Hopkinson in Sunday People Sport as the source. Saw your update, seems you've seen the same report. None of this surprises me, so expect to see Evans wearing someone else's colours soon.

Back
Top Bottom