Long's new deal 'almost wrapped up'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
According to our James. http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...-for-george-long-almost-wrapped-up-1-7934288?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't imagine he'll be signing this contract to be anything other than first choice next season, given that he could go and be back up for a Premier League team.

If he left we would get compensation for him to add to the budget and we'd be forced to sign a new first choice keeper - ideally the experienced, dominant and reliable keeper many of us would like to see.

As it is we're likely to see another keeper brought in to be back up to Long, and then there's Ramsdale too, who has to be factored into any decisions regarding the goalkeepers. It's important that it's managed correctly.

We ought to have been planning on telling him to fuck off at the first sign of any hesitation surrounding the signing of his contract. The way we've been dictated to by a player of his quality is embarrassing.

He's a bang average third division keeper, and we've needed a good one for a while now. A solid keeper can add valuable numbers of points to the board. And it's ultimately those fine margins that determine a season.

A new GK and Ramsdale coming up as no.2 was the route we should have been going down.

If there was a decent compo figure, I'd have taken it and got one of the quality, experienced frees in. Ramsdale could've stayed on the bench and still played some youth football, and maybe the JPT and other cup games.

We ought to have been planning on telling him to fuck off at the first sign of any hesitation surrounding the signing of his contract. The way we've been dictated to by a player of his quality is embarrassing.

He's a bang average third division keeper, and we've needed a good one for a while now. A solid keeper can add valuable numbers of points to the board. And it's ultimately those fine margins that determine a season.

A new GK and Ramsdale coming up as no.2 was the route we should have been going down.
Personally as good a prospect as Ramsdale is it's a bit early to name him as a regular no.2. If Long got for example a 2/3 week lay off I wouldn't be confident with this lad between the sticks. Not knocking him at all but he still has an awful lot to learn. George has improved greatly since coming back into the team and has saved us on a few occasions (would have been a cricket score at Bury) but agree that he needs to work on crosses and commanding his box. In goalkeeping terms he's still a baby though

So it looks like no Campionship Club fancied taking him on even as a number two or third choice then.

That's telling.

If there was a decent compo figure, I'd have taken it and got one of the quality, experienced frees in. Ramsdale could've stayed on the bench and still played some youth football, and maybe the JPT and other cup games.

I think the compensation works by offering the player a contract and him choosing to go elsewhere. I don't think we can choose to take the compensation as such.

According to our James. http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...-for-george-long-almost-wrapped-up-1-7934288?

I don't imagine he'll be signing this contract to be anything other than first choice next season, given that he could go and be back up for a Premier League team.

If he left we would get compensation for him to add to the budget and we'd be forced to sign a new first choice keeper - ideally the experienced, dominant and reliable keeper many of us would like to see.

As it is we're likely to see another keeper brought in to be back up to Long, and then there's Ramsdale too, who has to be factored into any decisions regarding the goalkeepers. It's important that it's managed correctly.

The interesting part will be when we find out what the release clause is that he's negotiated into his contract, because it's almost certain that he will have done so.

I hope we've learned our lessons from the past, when our contract negotiators have been numbskulls & incompetents !! We don't want to get caught with our pants down, yet again ........

UTB & FTP

I have cast the stones, read the runes and gazed into my crystal ball. I see a new keeper arriving a few games in from the start of the season.

I really hope the club haven't given in to high wage demands. It wouldn't surprise me though - being the football geniuses that they are they could have surmised that he's a huge asset because a PL team or two have been sniffing.

I don't think we should use Ramsdale (or Eastwood) as number 2 next season. At his age I think a combination of reserve team football and a loan move to non league is the right way to go. Willis would be a better option as a number 2 but I think he's going to be released.

If we sign a new keeper it needs to be one who'll at least challenge Long for a first team place, ideally one who's better than him. If Long ends up as back up and is unhappy, then sell him. I just think this could be unlikely if Long is on decent money - we won't want to be paying two keepers a high wage while we have so many other positions to strengthen. So the most likely scenario is Long as undisputed number 1 with someone as backup for him, which isn't ideal.

I think it would have probably been better if he moved on and gave us a chance to sign a new first choice keeper like Joe Lewis.

So it looks like no Campionship Club fancied taking him on even as a number two or third choice then.

That's telling.

With the money swilling around , even premiership clubs will snap up anything and loan them back out .

If I was Long I would be diapointed and worried at the same time.

Another player IMO who hasn't got a football brain , thinks he is better than he is .

His last interview was either very diplomatic , or he is deluded like a lot of them at the Lane . First job for Wilder with Long , is to get him de- brainwashed ,

Your job Sonny Jim is to stop the round ball going into the back of the onion bag . Pronto. Cushdey.

UTB

Signing a new contract only bumps his asking price up for us!

Still need another keeper to compete with him.

UTMB

Despite all the doubts about Long on this thread, the lad will be insisting on a release clause should a sizeable offer come in. That's where he is at present; not sure he'll make it at all, but he could get to the top.

I really hope the club haven't given in to high wage demands. It wouldn't surprise me though - being the football geniuses that they are they could have surmised that he's a huge asset because a PL team or two have been sniffing.

I don't think we should use Ramsdale (or Eastwood) as number 2 next season. At his age I think a combination of reserve team football and a loan move to non league is the right way to go. Willis would be a better option as a number 2 but I think he's going to be released.

If we sign a new keeper it needs to be one who'll at least challenge Long for a first team place, ideally one who's better than him. If Long ends up as back up and is unhappy, then sell him. I just think this could be unlikely if Long is on decent money - we won't want to be paying two keepers a high wage while we have so many other positions to strengthen. So the most likely scenario is Long as undisputed number 1 with someone as backup for him, which isn't ideal.

I think it would have probably been better if he moved on and gave us a chance to sign a new first choice keeper like Joe Lewis.
If Long did go and we signed a first choice keeper, I don't think we'd have had many other options but to install Ramsdale as no.2. It would have taken a bit of forward planning, but there could have been the option to keep Willis if Wilder prefers him as a no.2 but there's always the chance he'd have been released before Long went/first choice keeper arrived.

If Long did go and we signed a first choice keeper, I don't think we'd have had many other options but to install Ramsdale as no.2. It would have taken a bit of forward planning, but there could have been the option to keep Willis if Wilder prefers him as a no.2 but there's always the chance he'd have been released before Long went/first choice keeper arrived.

Maybe not, especially if any new keeper was on decent money as you'd expect. In that case I'd look to rotate Ramsdale and Eastwood as the backup keeper making sure they both play plenty of games, at least at U21 level. Not ideal but the budget could dictate. As I said, it has to be managed correctly with the young keepers we have. We need them both to develop.

For all those saying something along the lines of "He's out of contract and no one has taken him on as a cheap option", he's go for a hefty sum no? He's been at the club since he was a bairn and has played a large number of games. The compo would be substantial.

Can you imagine if any of our players actually read this, are you Blades fans or what. If you can't support them without all this abuse, then please don't bother.

If a players goes out and gives 100% that's all we can ask.

Have you ever played football, did every cross, pass, shot go where it was supposed to go, it you play that miss pass on purpose.

As a young lad I probably abused players, and today if they can't be bothered, I'll suggest we swap places, but I will stand up and applaud anyone who gives everything to wear that red and white shirt.

Onwards and upwards

Can you imagine if any of our players actually read this, are you Blades fans or what. If you can't support them without all this abuse, then please don't bother.

If a players goes out and gives 100% that's all we can ask.

Have you ever played football, did every cross, pass, shot go where it was supposed to go, it you play that miss pass on purpose.

As a young lad I probably abused players, and today if they can't be bothered, I'll suggest we swap places, but I will stand up and applaud anyone who gives everything to wear that red and white shirt.

Onwards and upwards

Yes, because there's such horrendous abuse on this thread isn't there?

And the first consideration before posting anything should be 'what if our players read this'?

Welcome news.

When he was younger, and a worse player, he looked steady when he had Harry Maguire in front of him. Ask any 'keeper and they'll tell you; having confidence in your defence makes you a better goalie. What the lad needs is a rock solid partnership in front of him. He's spent most of his career with Neil Collins in front of him and made it this far...I'd say that's no mean feat.

97 appearances aged 22. That's superb for a lad his age. 'Keepers get better as they get older, everyone knows that. We'd be mad to let him go.

Long needs 1st team football and he knows he won't get that in the premier league,him resigning is a formality really as he knows his chances here are far better.Wilder may bring in another keeper but I think the money can be better spent elsewhere, Ramsdale will put long under pressure next season he's
only just 18 but top class keepers come through at a young age (I have alluded to this in previouse posts ). Best prospect I have ever seen ( keeper ) in a blades jersey and I go back quite a long way.

I have cast the stones, read the runes and gazed into my crystal ball. I see a new keeper arriving a few games in from the start of the season.
So long as that few games is before end of August or we will be waiting till January.

Lots of assumptions on this thread.

How do we know the club have been dictated to by Long? Maybe we offered him a contract, he thought about it for a while and then signed it?

How do we know that no other clubs came in for him? Maybe he had 10 offers but decided he was better off football-wise staying at the Lane?

Not every young footballer is Jordan Slew.

6-4 and can't deal with routine crosses. Drops the ball with alarming regularity. No sense of command or authority. No communication with the back four. Inability to hold onto the ball when stopping run of the mill shots, often blocking the ball back into the danger zone. Beaten on his near post and/or from distance far too often.

What's not to like?....

6-4 and can't deal with routine crosses. Drops the ball with alarming regularity. No sense of command or authority. No communication with the back four. Inability to hold onto the ball when stopping run of the mill shots, often blocking the ball back into the danger zone. Beaten on his near post and/or from distance far too often.

What's not to like?....

He's a blade!

Daniel Bentley at Southend was highly rated with rumours of £1m+ offers before last season. I didn't think he was much better than Long. Likewise people always go on about Tommy Lee and he wasn't all that when we played Chessy.
I don't think Long is bad for a L1 keeper and young enough to improve.
Who are we going to get who's significantly better? Chances are it will be a Simmo/Howard type. My approach would have been to give Long til the end of the month to make his mind up and if he hadn't signed by then, look at getting someone else in.

What's not to like?....

100% agree we need a new keeper!

Back
Top Bottom