Living hand to mouth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
We seem to have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

By all accounts we were 2m above the desired budget. The initial question there then is how you manage to get so far out of sync with your desired spend? We must have given away some daft contracts. Setting that aside, how we are currently run is my concern.

I've kept a tracker just for temerity's sake since we got relegated when the wage bill was quoted as 12m. I reckon at the end of 2015 season the wage bill was at around 7m and through the course of the 2015/16 season it came down to the 6m figure. Once the huge raft of about 33 players, young, old, perm, loans dropped off, and then new players added, I reckon we are at around 4.4m for the playing wage bill.

Just to keep the club running with such large overheads more akin to a more high profile set up, it must cost a few million to support absences of sponsorship etc.

That said, my biggest concern is how the club has gone from a lavish squad of around 50 to 31 (including 1st year pros) to the point now where it seems we have almost become hand to mouth in terms of the recruitment.

We unfortunately have managed to recruit in a fashion that means we still need at least 3 crucial players at this late stage - First choice centre half, first choice midfield general and first choice left sided option with pace. You could read that as Morgan+Murphy/Morsy/Grant/Diaguraga+Lavery. A first choice left back who can defend without having to compromise your centre half options could also be argued.

Of the 4.4m, I guestimate we have close to 800k per annum tied up in transfer listed players.

Is the key recruitment going to be compromised by Wilder's inability to shift James and Kieron Wallace's wages? Will he be forced to sacrifice McNulty, who he might like to keep if he gets Lavery?

I appreciate you can't have your cake and eat it, but we did just sell Adams for a decent amount of money. If the owners really want to get this team up and running, when in the league above tens of millions are being spent, surely some flexibility, within reason, could be shown on the recruitment side.

We of course wait and see how we go, but I don't feel we are in a good place right now with less than 48 hours of the recruitment window to go.

Is anyone else concerned that this is an emerging theme in terms of how the club is run?

My learned friend...

How much of that is actual fact and not fiction?

Are we to spend our time writing in response to something which isn't true or just a combination of utterings based on hearsay and gossip this last decade?

To answer, within reason on such matter, would make the responder, simply a fool.
Basing a response on fiction, there is no credible value.

Though if it were factual and there are links to such evidence provided by the OP, the points raised would be deemed worthy of your time, effort and energy to respond.

It's a decision ONLY the board can decide upon, fact or fiction?

LYDON QC

We seem to have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.

By all accounts we were 2m above the desired budget. The initial question there then is how you manage to get so far out of sync with your desired spend? We must have given away some daft contracts. Setting that aside, how we are currently run is my concern.

I've kept a tracker just for temerity's sake since we got relegated when the wage bill was quoted as 12m. I reckon at the end of 2015 season the wage bill was at around 7m and through the course of the 2015/16 season it came down to the 6m figure. Once the huge raft of about 33 players, young, old, perm, loans dropped off, and then new players added, I reckon we are at around 4.4m for the playing wage bill.

Just to keep the club running with such large overheads more akin to a more high profile set up, it must cost a few million to support absences of sponsorship etc.

That said, my biggest concern is how the club has gone from a lavish squad of around 50 to 31 (including 1st year pros) to the point now where it seems we have almost become hand to mouth in terms of the recruitment.

We unfortunately have managed to recruit in a fashion that means we still need at least 3 crucial players at this late stage - First choice centre half, first choice midfield general and first choice left sided option with pace. You could read that as Morgan+Murphy/Morsy/Grant/Diaguraga+Lavery. A first choice left back who can defend without having to compromise your centre half options could also be argued.

Of the 4.4m, I guestimate we have close to 800k per annum tied up in transfer listed players.

Is the key recruitment going to be compromised by Wilder's inability to shift James and Kieron Wallace's wages? Will he be forced to sacrifice McNulty, who he might like to keep if he gets Lavery?

I appreciate you can't have your cake and eat it, but we did just sell Adams for a decent amount of money. If the owners really want to get this team up and running, when in the league above tens of millions are being spent, surely some flexibility, within reason, could be shown on the recruitment side.

We of course wait and see how we go, but I don't feel we are in a good place right now with less than 48 hours of the recruitment window to go.

Is anyone else concerned that this is an emerging theme in terms of how the club is run?

I've been very concerned how the club is run for quite a few years.

If only we had a Board with ambition, common sense, a bit of football knowledge and a similar amount of wealth we would be dangerous !!

Oh well ....... dear Father Christmas, this year I would like ...... :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

we have to do what Barnsley did
recruit wisely , and build a squad that develops as it goes along, which I believe is CWs strategy
I dont have to point out Barnsley didnt get into their stride while December do I
they didnt panic, they didnt run around shouting we are doomed
they built a squad , tweeked it , added to it just a little in January
and reaped the rewards
we dont have to be top from september to april to go up .just get there by April

we have to do what Barnsley did
recruit wisely , and build a squad that develops as it goes along, which I believe is CWs strategy
I dont have to point out Barnsley didnt get into their stride while December do I
they didnt panic, they didnt run around shouting we are doomed
they built a squad , tweeked it , added to it just a little in January
and reaped the rewards
we dont have to be top from september to april to go up .just get there by April

Recruit and wisely. Yes.

How many in by tomorrow you reckon?

You only have to look at the career of Billy Sharp and that tells you everything you need to know about our inept board.

You only have to look at the career of Billy Sharp and that tells you everything you need to know about our inept board.

Tell me/us.

What is it we should know, comparing Billy Sharp to our board of directors?

If the owners really want to get this team up and running, when in the league above tens of millions are being spent, surely some flexibility, within reason, could be shown on the recruitment side.

But, but... that might result in promotion. It's very important that we set ourselves severe limitations - it's the number 1 commandment in the Blades Boardroom Bible. Equally important though is that when we do decide to go crazy and stretch the budget, we do it with the wrong manager and on the wrong players, such as shit right backs for £2m.

Could it be we got rid of him twice and then spent good money to buy him back?

That's a fact, cannot deny that.
I'm looking though for the comparisons between Billy Sharp's career and our "inept board" ...

£6m last season to finish a dizzying 11th in the 3rd division. What a joke we've become.

It hasn't been good so far this season but what a job Wilder volunteered to do.

It's no wonder agents and players rub their hands and expect fortunes when they come to us.

when he left first time hed scored 8 goals in 3 years
hes looking better now against league one teams
selling him then was hardly surprising ,

£6m last season to finish a dizzying 11th in the 3rd division. What a joke we've become.

It's no wonder agents and players rub their hands and expect fortunes when they come to us.

newcastle were among the big spenders in the prem but went down
money is a good tool only if its spent well
thats down to who the manager chooses to buy, weve come up short under recent managers

Wilder is just applying common sense , as befits our current status, we will get better , but not at a spectacular pace
as long as we are in the top 10 at xmas and just keep improving , will do me

Any ineptness of our board is largely down to the type of player they let our procession of managers buy. Too many players in the second half of their career, for whom promotion to the Championship would sound the death knell for their careers. Cast off to spend their remains days in L1/2, playing in front of crowds of 3000 on much reduced wages.

The often referenced Barnsley FC, put their faith in ambitious youth, with, of course, the likes of Adam Hammill.

With the ownership and board we have, surely it's more like ASS TO MOUTH!! Isn't it!?

If the £8m investment by the owners is believed for last season, that six million could well be understated.

We should be asking questions.

If we appoint a Manager who we believe has the credentials to take us forward and bring success to the club, should we also give him the responsibility of all transfers, in and out of the club? Should the Manager be looking at buying in players with the focus being on their resale value and not primarily on their worth to the club, as regards success? We bought Che Adams, we sold Che Adams, we made money (I hope, on his transfer to Birmingham City) but as for success, we are still in L1.

If the board are giving the Manager 100% backing, then surely that includes the players in, players out?
If we don't, and we appoint a Manager who only has to concentrate on the playing squad and his remit of being successful, we may as well follow the Tottenham Hotspur model of the Transfer Board buy in the players, the Manager is then instructed to make the very best of what he's been given to work with. If that fails, then it is the Manager who concedes his failures whilst the board then start to look for another Manager, who will, they hope, bring success.

It's okay for the Manger to want 100% on all transfers, but then he must be aware that what funds are given, are likely to be reduced. No one actually wins, the Board won't pay what the Manager wants, so we are left on a turntable of limited success, but are still failing to achieve the target set. The Manager knows the deal, until one day the frustration takes over and decides he cannot work under such conditions.

The supporters watch from the stands, read in the press, comment on the forums, but to no avail.

The board are constantly watching the progress of other Manager's at clubs who, have possibly lower budgets, but are becoming more successful.
We've gone from Adkins to Wilder, both of whom have been very successful, albeit at much different levels. If Wilder fails, are the board going to looking at a Manager from L2 who has been successful that season?

My learned friend...

How much of that is actual fact and not fiction?

Are we to spend our time writing in response to something which isn't true or just a combination of utterings based on hearsay and gossip this last decade?

To answer, within reason on such matter, would make the responder, simply a fool.
Basing a response on fiction, there is no credible value.

Though if it were factual and there are links to such evidence provided by the OP, the points raised would be deemed worthy of your time, effort and energy to respond.

It's a decision ONLY the board can decide upon, fact or fiction?

LYDON QC

Top response.

You never mentioned you'd been called to the Bar as well.

If the £8m investment by the owners is believed for last season, that six million could well be understated.

£6 million was the figure quoted straight from McCabe last year wasn't it?

You'd think he'd kno.....oh, erm, perhaps not....

But he looks younger....

tumblr_m8ndqzvmI31ruyz4so1_250.gif

Adam Hamill, has just turned 28.
That's why I mentioned him mate. He's an exception. Need mainly youth, with an injection of experience. Some of our old stagers could have done with an injection from Dignitas.

Back
Top Bottom