Less derbies - a good thing?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Vassilis

Reaction score
We have lost games against Donny and Barnsley for next season and with Rotherham avoiding the drop we just have one 'real' local derby in 16/17 with Chesterfield.

Love a good derby but can't help but think it's easier to focus on beating teams when there is no history/pressure/local pride. Given the dire need to get out of this division, I'm happy to forego the derbies next season.

We did pretty well in the derbies this season.
6 points off Chesterfield, 6 points off Doncaster, 4 points off Bradford and didn't lose to the Dingles.

We actually struggled to beat other teams when there was no added incentive.

6 points off Chesterfield, 6 points off Doncaster, 4 points off Bradford and didn't lose to the Dingles.

Good point. However, I think historically derbies aren't a good thing. It's often used as an explanation for the overall poor showing of London clubs in the top flight, despite all the wealth.

UTB

Good point. However, I think historically derbies aren't a good thing. It's often used as an explanation for the overall poor showing of London clubs in the top flight, despite all the wealth.

UTB

It could be the case in London. However I don't think it affects us as profoundly up here. Barring the Pigs, no other club in our catchment area really competes with us in terms of support and infrastructure.

Although it would've been interesting to have seen how that theory would've worked out if we'd been promoted this season, with the Pigs, Dingles, Rovrum and to an extent Leeds and Huddersfield providing the competition.

Less of a northern league next season Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Charlton, MK Done and AFC Wimbledon or Plymouth joining us. Will add to the traveling time!

Never classed any of them as derby matches.

We should always focus on ourselves anyway even if Wednesday were in the same league as us.

God that actually makes it sound like a decent season:eek:

Well Milton Keynes is one journey I certainly won't be making. I refuse to recognise them as a legitimate club.

I didn't think I could disapprove of a club anymore than the cuckoos of MK. But when they came here during their promotion season it was just about the most cynical performance I'd ever seen from an away side.

I suppose if you're going to be universally hated, then you may as well play the part.

I didn't think I could disapprove of a club anymore than the cuckoos of MK. But when they came here during their promotion season it was just about the most cynical performance I'd ever seen from an away side.

I suppose if you're going to be universally hated, then you may as well play the part.

I remember that game, set of time wasting game-killing bastards.

If Wimbledon get promoted and beat them next season, I imagine that pretty much the whole football community will rejoice.

Who needs derbies at this level? Our local rivals have all done better than us and got out of this piss poor league.

We need to do the same by making BL a fortress and humiliating tin pot teams, not tother way around!

Shopping list to include hard, passionate and hungry.

I was hoping for Accrington to prevail through the League 2 play offs as I would definitely have gone but I won't be going to AFC Wimbledon or Plymouth. Obviously much quicker to get to the more local games. Worked out it was actually quicker to get to the Keepmoat from Handsworth than it is to Bramall Lane.

UTB
All those London local derbies never did Manchester United any harm!

I was hoping for Accrington to prevail through the League 2 play offs as I would definitely have gone but I won't be going to AFC Wimbledon or Plymouth. Obviously much quicker to get to the more local games. Worked out it was actually quicker to get to the Keepmoat from Handsworth than it is to Bramall Lane.
And from Low Edges/Jordanthorpe it must be quicker to get to Chesterfield's ground than Bramall Lane.

We have lost games against Donny and Barnsley for next season and with Rotherham avoiding the drop we just have one 'real' local derby in 16/17 with Chesterfield.

Love a good derby but can't help but think it's easier to focus on beating teams when there is no history/pressure/local pride. Given the dire need to get out of this division, I'm happy to forego the derbies next season.

Bit irrelevant IMO . What we have to do , and get into the mindset of is

Stop ALL teams coming to BDTBL enjoying it , and treating it like there Wembley , with the crowd , ground , facilities , all adding to the occasion .

Stop all teams taking a easy scalp, when playing the big boys Sheffield United at there ground .

Not local derbies but just local games , who perhaps bring more supporters than other teams . It's the media who hype these games up.

Just a excuse this Derby bollocks . . Next season we have to be professional and focused whoever we play .

Playing any of the teams from the league below or above coming in to league 1 , are on the same level as so called derbies.

We don't play S6.

UTB

Oxford just up the road for me. Looking forward to seeing the Blades there - Wilder's history there should give it an edge.
I went in the FA Cup a few years ago. I was glad I wasn't parked in the car park behind the goal, some of our efforts on goal could have caused some damage!

I'm so glad we had local sides to play against last season, we got nearly a third of our points against them and would've been in a relegation battle without them. :)

Just looking , but it will actually be quicker for me to get to Bristol Rovers , and cheaper , then to Sheffield
from Dublin , Madchester , ( one for the oldies there ) , and back .

Back
Top Bottom