League One Final Table 15-16 Prediction

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Deadbat’s Season Preview 2015-16

Well here goes nothing again…….pin it and come back and laugh at the end of the season but here is my season preview / predictions for the new season.

For the last two seasons I predicted 7th in 2013-14 which I got bang on and then predicted 4th last season and we finished 5th. So not done too bad. I also picked the top 2 who went up last season….however I got some teams miles off too!

Least I have not sat on the fence I suppose….

1. Wigan

Wigan may have been in free fall the last few seasons but they have actually invested wisely with some good acquisitions who should do really well at this level. The likes of Craig Davies and Will Grigg should score a hatful. They have signed proven league One players who are still young enough to develop in keeper Richard O’Donnell and also ex Wolves man Michael Jacobs. They have midfield battlers in likes of McCann, Perkins and also Cowie. At the back they have leadership and strength in Pearce and Barnett. They need to get off to a good start and adapt to the lower level and questions remain over a rookie manager in Gary Caldwell but having not been out of the Premier League and still have the Whelan family involved can chuck more money at it if needed. I would be very surprised if they not around the top 3 or 4 and I feel they may just nose the rest in a close fight at the top.

Key Man : Craig Davies, Striker

2. Peterborough

Have disappointed in recent seasons since coming back down and Darren Ferguson paid the price. However they still have some real talent in the squad and I expect a much better effort this season. There have a bigger squad than most at this level and some pace and attacking threats. Jack Collison. Washington, Vassell and Maddison offer the goal threats and with more unity under former Academy boss Dave Robertson. They will be right up there this term and if the prolific Gornley from Ireland gets going might be tough to stop.

Key Man : Michael Bostwick, Midfielder

Playoffs : Sheffield United to beat Barnsley

3. Sheffield United

Adkins has the feel good factor back at Bramall Lane and fans are much more positive. He has brought back Billy Sharp. Not sure Connor Sammon is much of a goal scorer but with talent around him like Sharp, Done, Adams and Murphy we should be much more of a goal threat. We have enough options in midfield too with the likes of Basham and a slim line Jose Baxter to create openings and there is a mix of experience and youth. Hopefully the shackles will be off and United can be less cautious and attack more. Have to make the home ground more of a fortress and ensure anyone who gets out of the Lane with even a point has worked like trojans to get it.

Still the big questions over the defence remain. We went into last season with this as a glaring weakness in terms of centre backs and it is very strange Adkins actually seems happy with Collins and McEvely; two players that are simply not reliable enough for a side going for promotion. The problem is by the time he realises it could be too late as a poor start last year cost us. The squad in comparison to many other contenders has more quality and experience than most. The division is much weaker and outside of Wigan there are no real stand out teams. United have a squad with depth that is the envy of most at this level and have to make it count. I feel we might have to do it the hard way but could be playoffs and promotion via this traditionally unlucky route.

Key Man : Jamie Murphy, Midfielder

4. Barnsley

Lee Johnson is an excellent young manager who has done well at Oldham and got Barnsley flying up the league last season. He has made one or two decent signings and he has longer to get the side playing his way. Marc Roberts and Alfie Mawson toughen up the defence. Mason Holgate is also a rough diamond. Young striker Connor Wilkinson will help leading scorer Sam Winnall. They have signed some good young loan players from Arsenal (Daniel Crowley) and Manchester United (Ben Pearson) too but I think this prediction is more based on Johnson’s abilities.

Key Man : Sam Winnall, Striker

5. Scunthorpe

This is my wild card if you like but Mark Robins is a decent manager and knows this league well. He has done some really astute business in the summer and has players who can get goals. They may have been nearer the bottom than top last season but will be a surprise packet. King, Wiseman and Laird from Preston are a trio of players that will improve the side massively. They have some young talent coming through and ex Blade Darius Henderson can come on and knock people about at the end of games.

Key Man : Paddy Madden, Striker

6. Bradford

Just have a feeling buoyed by big crowds that could be around 15-20,000 every week at Valley Parade that they will have a good season. They have two big lads who will be threats in Hanson and also ex Blade Steven Davies. Also they have some creativity in Luke James (ex Hartlepool) and Josh Morris who was one of Fleetwood’s key men (caused United some real problems). Paul Anderson will give them some much needed width too. They will thrive on the home factor and win a lot more games here. If they can tighten up at the back then they will be right in the mix this season.

Key Man : James Hanson, Striker

7. Doncaster

Will be a real local feel about the top reaches of the division this next season. Doncaster were one of the best sides we saw at the Lane. They may have lost Kyle Bennett to Pompey but they have a lot of experienced players still with the likes of Richie Wellens, newcomer Richard Chaplow and Jamie Coppinger. They also have striking threats in Nathan Tyson and former Swindon man Andy Williams. If they can get off to a better start should be up and around the top 6.

Key Man : Richie Wellens

8. Swindon

A side that made the Play off final but have been ravaged over the summer losing key talents such as Gladwin and Luongo and seeing out of contract Foderingham released. Striker Andy Williams also moved on and Louis Thompson went back to parent club Swindon. Talents like Byrne and Kasim remain but the squad looks very small and will rely on wily business from Mark Cooper in the loan market. Can see the young squad not quite faring as well this time around.

Key Man : Nathan Byrne, Defender

9. Millwall

Another side that has come down but they have seen a lot of players move on or be released and the squad lacks leadership and experience. They can have a real home advantage with the intimidation of the fans which will be more of a factor at the lower level. Another rookie manager but one respected at the Den in Neil Harris. They have brought back experienced defender Tony Craig and have a talent in midfield in Nadim Abjou but the squad does have a lot of holes that need addressing. They might find things harder than they think.

Key Man : Lee Gregory, Striker

10. Rochdale

Had a really good season last season and were quite close to the playoffs. Manager Keith Hill always does well with limited resources. He continues to surprise. Ex Blades Brandy and McGinty have moved on after doing very little but they have a solid spine and ex Plymouth man Allesandra will add something different. The surprise factor is not there this time but they will still be around the upper echeleons.

Key Man : Ian Henderson, Striker

11. Bury

A newly promoted side but one that in my opinion will do very well as have tons of experience and seem to have a larger budget than they have had at this level than before. They have recruited some experienced strikers in Leon Clarke and Tom Pope and have players like Ryan Lowe and Daniel Naridello around too. Peter Clarke adds experience at the back. I midfield they have some athleticism with Etuhu and Jacob Mellis. David Flitcroft has done well to bounce back from leaving Barnsley and expect him to carry on Bury’s transition here.

Key Man : Leon Clarke, Striker

12. Coventry

The move back to the Ricoh did not quite herald the transformation that Sky Blues fans would have hoped but the first full season for Tony Mowbray should herald more stability. They have not really added many players with young striker Adam Armstrong coming in from Newcastle on loan and former Orient midfielder Romain Vincelot arriving. They have some experienced players such as Reda Johnson and Jim O’Brien but do lack genuine striking options and unsure the squad is strong enough to contend at the top.

Key Man : Adam Armstrong, Striker

13. Fleetwood

Had a superb season last year and skirted with the top 6. However they have lost a few key players in the summer and Josh Morris will be a real loss. In comes Jimmy Ryan from Chesterfield and Amari Bell from Birmingham. I think they will have enough to not be near the bottom but be difficult for them to be quite as high as last season. Graham Alexander is a good young manager and has to be commended for job he has done here.

Key Man : Jimmy Ryan, Midfielder

14. Gillingham

Stayed up fairly comfortably in the end and manager Justin Edinburgh continued to prove his talent after doing so well at Newport. They seem to be a bit more settled and have kept much of the squad together. They will not contend for promotion but will not be amongst the strugglers either and if they continue to be strong at home; they can surprise some of the bigger sides.

Key Man : Cody McDonald, Striker

15. Walsall

Have not quite fared as well for the last few seasons and with small crowds and limited budget, it is hard for them to keep punching above their weight. Lost another key man in Richard O’Donnell but still have some talent in Romaine Sawyers and Tom Bradshaw who will get them enough goals to keep them away from the strugglers.

Key Man : Tom Bradshaw, Striker

16. Chesterfield

I could be miles off with this prediction but there is always one side who does well one

season and then falls off. I would not have pegged Chesterfield any higher than 10-12th even keeping their players but having lost Doyle, Darwika, Roberts and Clucas, I do not see them bouncing back from having the spine of their team ravaged. Sylvain Ebanks Blake is a player on his way down and Dean Saunders is a huge drop off from the excellent Paul Cook and worryingly has a record for taking teams down. They might just stave off such a turnaround but it will be tough.

Key Man : Tommy Lee, Goalkeeper

17. Burton

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink carried on the superb work started by Gary Rowett and the Brewers came up as Champions. Losing Adam McGurk to Portsmouth was a blow and the squad lacks experience at this level to some degree but they should carry on the momentum from last year to stay up.

Key Man : John Mousinho, Midfield

17.Oldham

Not quite the same after Gary Johnson left. They have Lee Croft back and have brought in experienced David Dunn but it is a thin squad on the whole with former Blade Danny Philliskirk counted on for the creativity. They have some striking options in Dominic Poleon, Jonathan Forte and also Jake Cassidy but Forte will not score as many goals this season and without this it will be tougher.

Key Man : David Dunn, Midfielder

1. Port Vale

Vale did ok for large parts of the season but then tailed off towards the end. They have lost some key players including striker Tom Pope. Ex Blade Michael Brown is still there but they have a real lack of quality in the rest of the squad and I fear they may have a season looking over their shoulders.

Key Man : Anthony Grant, Midfielder

1. Shrewsbury

Have bounced between the bottom two divisions in the last few years but I think the have enough to survive this time around. Young players such as Connor Goldson and Ryan Woods will continue to develop and they have some experience in the likes of Liam Lawrence. James Collins and Tyrone Barnett have to get the goals or they may be sucked into a scrap though at the bottom.

Key Man : Connor Goldson, Defender

1. Southend

Were literally seconds away from being back in League Two but a late leveller and then penalty drama saw them deny Wycombe to gain promotion. They lost striker Barry Corr who opted to for a bigger pay deal at Cambridge. However they have an excellent keeper in Daniel Bentley and a manager who has been about a bit in Phil Brown. Think they will need to be strong at home to survive but with lack of goal threats and a small squad it could be a step too far.

Key Man : Daniel Bentley, Goalkeeper

22.Colchester

Last day heroics saw them survive but one or two veterans have moved on. They have signed a few defenders in Brindley (ex Rotherham) and Briggs (ex Millwall) but have largely the same squad as last year. Ex Blade Chris Porter may be a good pro but the fact he is now captain and expected to lead from the front says it all about their chances this season. They will definitely be one of the stragglers.

Key Man : George Moncur, Midfielder

1. 23. Blackpool

I do not see the rot stopping anytime soon. The club is a mess. The arguments rage and the chairman clearly does not seem to give a damn. Most of the experienced players they did have left have moved on. They have brought in a few loan players that are inexperienced and a few lads from the Scottish Leagues but it looks a threadbare squad. Neil McDonald has the impossible task of trying to halt the slide but with arguments on (Nial Ranger who signed a new contract but already called the new manager out on twitter) and off the pitch (with Oyston and the fans); I cannot see how they can turn things around. If fans boycott games it will make it even harder for them.

Key Man : Colin Doyle, Goalkeeper

24. Crewe

Crewe stayed up by the skin of their teeth last year and do not seem to have brought many
notable players in losing a couple including the influential Anthony Grant. Unsure where the
goals will come from. They will continue to bring through the young talent but can see them
struggling this season.

Key Man : George Ray, Defender

And for a bonus laugh….

Here are my predictions for the other leagues:

Premiership :

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Man City

4. Arsenal

Relegated :

18. Aston Villa

19. Bournemouth

20. Norwich

Championship :

1. Middlesbrough

2. Derby

Promotion in Playoffs : Burnley beat Hull

Relegated :

22. MK Dons

23. Birmingham

24. Charlton

League Two :

1. Cambridge

2. Portsmouth

3. Notts County

Promotion in Playoffs : Orient beat Oxford

Relegated :

23. Mansfield

24. Dagenham

Last edited:

Above should be...

17. Burton
18. Oldham
19. Port Vale
20. Shrewsbury
21. Southend
22. Colchester
23. Blackpool
24. Crewe

Not sure what happened there?

League One:-
1. Wigan
2. Sheff Utd
3. Doncaster
4. Peterborough (to win playoffs)
5. Burton Albion
6. Fleetwood

Don't really give a shit about anything else but for what it's worth.....

Prem:-
1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Man Utd
-----------------------------------
18. Leicester
19. Norwich
20. Watford

Championship:-
1. Derby
2. Middlesbrough
3. Ipswich (to win playoffs)
4. Wolves
5. Burnley
6. Blackburn

Very little idea about League Two. Fancy Portsmouth, Cambridge, Luton for promotion. Bristol Rovers as an outsider via the playoffs.

L1.

Top:SUFC
Donny
Bradford
Scunthorpe
Wigan
Rochdale
Walsall
Swindon
Fleetwood
Barnsley
Coventry
Shrewsbury
Millwall
Posh
Southend
Chesterfield
Bury
Oldham
Colchester
Port Vale
Burton
Gillingham
Blackpool
Crewe

Prem: Top:Arsenal
Man Utd.
Chelsea.

Championship: Top: Middlesbrough
Bottom: Rotherham

Lwague 2: Top: Portsmouth.

I'd go with

Prem:
1 - Man City
2 - Chelsea
3 - Man Utd
4 - Arsenal

Relegated:
Bournemouth, Leicester and Norwich

Champ:
1 - Boro
2 - Derby
3 - Forest
4 - Wolves

Forest to go up in play offs

Relegated:
Rotherham, MK Dons and Huddersfield

League one
1 - Wigan
2 - Blades (if we get 2 CB's in)
3 - Peterborough
4 - Bradford

Bradford to go up in play offs

Relegated:
Crewe, Colchester and Gillingham

I checked the League One odds today and the Blades are favourites at 9-2 - pretty short odds for outright. Billy Sharp is 7-1 favourite to be the top goal scorer.
The stand out for me was Che Adams at 50-1 as top scorer. Given the number of pre-season goals there might be a chance. Does anyone know if Baxter is nominated penalty taker still and who the reserve pen taker is? I fancy us to get a few more pens this season.

Foxy can we get as sticky?

we could all predict the 24 places and at the end of the season score them. Can you do a game in the predictions tab at the top??

3pts if the position is right
2pts if you get them one place out
1pt if you get them two places out

Anyway, mine are as follows:

1. Wigan
  2. Sheff Utd
  3. Doncaster
  4. Barnsley
  5. Burton
  6. Millwall
  7. Bradford
  8. Oldham
  9. Rochdale
  10. Coventry
  11. Scunthorpe
  12. Bury
  13. Southend
  14. Gillingham
  15. Fleetwood
  16. Walsall
  17. Peterborough
  18. Swindon
  19. Colchester
  20. Chesterfield
  21. Port Vale
  22. Shrewsbury
  23. Blackpool
  24. Crewe

These things are always interesting, and invariably impossible to do...that's not a criticism, it's just very hard to know every one of the 24 of the clubs inside out.

Indeed, it would appear we (Millwall) lack leadership & experience if you simply look at the released list; however, in reality Forde, Craig, Beevers, Webster, Abdou and Upson have all had experience of winning promotion from League One, and Cummings and Williams were key members of a MK Dons side that finished 3rd in League One.

Forde (experienced Republic of Ireland international goalkeeper and last year's captain), Craig (an experienced defender brought through the Millwall academy & a player who captained us & then Brentford to promotion), Carlos Edwards (a seasoned & much respected pro), and Abdou (Millwall stalwart & never say die combative midfielder) offer good leadership.

But you are right to allude to 'holes'. There are question marks over our wingers - both outstanding in League Two (Fred on loan, Cowan-Hall bought from Wycombe), can they make the step up? Lee Martin will probably be ahead of both though.

The real question marks are up front - Philpot and O'Brien are promising youngsters, but you cannot rely on that to haul you out of League One...Lee Gregory scored 9 goals in his first professional season, promising, but still unproven, and Marquis scored 8 goals in 21 apps while on loan on at Gillingham, but isn't really rated by fans; he seems all huff and puff.

Rumours are we are trying to bring Steve Morison back from Leeds, but Id imagine there's a lot of negotiating to do on that to make it happen.

A prediction of 9th and a one to watch of Lee Gregory aren't bad guesses though.

I think if the strikers miss-fire & we don't bring in Morison or another striker, then midtable is likely.

Hard to beat, but a bit toothless.

If the strikers do find League One to their liking and start hitting some form then I think we should trouble the top 6.

But who really knows!!

For what it's worth, I think you will go up.

Last edited:
1. Sheff Utd
2. Wigan
3. Barnsley (win play-offs)
4. P'boro
5. Donny
6. Millwall

Relegated
Crewe, Colchester and blackpool

League one
1 - Wigan
2 - Blades
3 - Scunny (surprise package)
4 - Barnsley
5 - Bradford
6 - Doncaster
7 - Bury
8 - Cov
9 - Posh
10 - Gills

1. Wigan
  2. Bradford
  3. Barnsley
  4. Sheff Utd
  5. Doncaster
  6. Scunthorpe
We will be second up to about Feb and do our usual suicide run of three defeats to lower clubs which will drop us to sixth in a tight chasing pack. We will the have a recovery but not enough to catch Bradford who will go to the last day with the Dingles.

Of course, we will convincingly win the playoffs, like.

Pigs will just miss out on a playoffs place by a point or two.

pommpey

Deadbat’s Season Preview 2015-16

Well here goes nothing again…….pin it and come back and laugh at the end of the season but here is my season preview / predictions for the new season.

For the last two seasons I predicted 7th in 2013-14 which I got bang on and then predicted 4th last season and we finished 5th. So not done too bad. I also picked the top 2 who went up last season….however I got some teams miles off too!

Least I have not sat on the fence I suppose….

1. Wigan

Wigan may have been in free fall the last few seasons but they have actually invested wisely with some good acquisitions who should do really well at this level. The likes of Craig Davies and Will Grigg should score a hatful. They have signed proven league One players who are still young enough to develop in keeper Richard O’Donnell and also ex Wolves man Michael Jacobs. They have midfield battlers in likes of McCann, Perkins and also Cowie. At the back they have leadership and strength in Pearce and Barnett. They need to get off to a good start and adapt to the lower level and questions remain over a rookie manager in Gary Caldwell but having not been out of the Premier League and still have the Whelan family involved can chuck more money at it if needed. I would be very surprised if they not around the top 3 or 4 and I feel they may just nose the rest in a close fight at the top.

Key Man : Craig Davies, Striker

2. Peterborough

Have disappointed in recent seasons since coming back down and Darren Ferguson paid the price. However they still have some real talent in the squad and I expect a much better effort this season. There have a bigger squad than most at this level and some pace and attacking threats. Jack Collison. Washington, Vassell and Maddison offer the goal threats and with more unity under former Academy boss Dave Robertson. They will be right up there this term and if the prolific Gornley from Ireland gets going might be tough to stop.

Key Man : Michael Bostwick, Midfielder

Playoffs : Sheffield United to beat Barnsley

3. Sheffield United

Adkins has the feel good factor back at Bramall Lane and fans are much more positive. He has brought back Billy Sharp. Not sure Connor Sammon is much of a goal scorer but with talent around him like Sharp, Done, Adams and Murphy we should be much more of a goal threat. We have enough options in midfield too with the likes of Basham and a slim line Jose Baxter to create openings and there is a mix of experience and youth. Hopefully the shackles will be off and United can be less cautious and attack more. Have to make the home ground more of a fortress and ensure anyone who gets out of the Lane with even a point has worked like trojans to get it.

Still the big questions over the defence remain. We went into last season with this as a glaring weakness in terms of centre backs and it is very strange Adkins actually seems happy with Collins and McEvely; two players that are simply not reliable enough for a side going for promotion. The problem is by the time he realises it could be too late as a poor start last year cost us. The squad in comparison to many other contenders has more quality and experience than most. The division is much weaker and outside of Wigan there are no real stand out teams. United have a squad with depth that is the envy of most at this level and have to make it count. I feel we might have to do it the hard way but could be playoffs and promotion via this traditionally unlucky route.

Key Man : Jamie Murphy, Midfielder

4. Barnsley

Lee Johnson is an excellent young manager who has done well at Oldham and got Barnsley flying up the league last season. He has made one or two decent signings and he has longer to get the side playing his way. Marc Roberts and Alfie Mawson toughen up the defence. Mason Holgate is also a rough diamond. Young striker Connor Wilkinson will help leading scorer Sam Winnall. They have signed some good young loan players from Arsenal (Daniel Crowley) and Manchester United (Ben Pearson) too but I think this prediction is more based on Johnson’s abilities.

Key Man : Sam Winnall, Striker

5. Scunthorpe

This is my wild card if you like but Mark Robins is a decent manager and knows this league well. He has done some really astute business in the summer and has players who can get goals. They may have been nearer the bottom than top last season but will be a surprise packet. King, Wiseman and Laird from Preston are a trio of players that will improve the side massively. They have some young talent coming through and ex Blade Darius Henderson can come on and knock people about at the end of games.

Key Man : Paddy Madden, Striker

6. Bradford

Just have a feeling buoyed by big crowds that could be around 15-20,000 every week at Valley Parade that they will have a good season. They have two big lads who will be threats in Hanson and also ex Blade Steven Davies. Also they have some creativity in Luke James (ex Hartlepool) and Josh Morris who was one of Fleetwood’s key men (caused United some real problems). Paul Anderson will give them some much needed width too. They will thrive on the home factor and win a lot more games here. If they can tighten up at the back then they will be right in the mix this season.

Key Man : James Hanson, Striker

7. Doncaster

Will be a real local feel about the top reaches of the division this next season. Doncaster were one of the best sides we saw at the Lane. They may have lost Kyle Bennett to Pompey but they have a lot of experienced players still with the likes of Richie Wellens, newcomer Richard Chaplow and Jamie Coppinger. They also have striking threats in Nathan Tyson and former Swindon man Andy Williams. If they can get off to a better start should be up and around the top 6.

Key Man : Richie Wellens

8. Swindon

A side that made the Play off final but have been ravaged over the summer losing key talents such as Gladwin and Luongo and seeing out of contract Foderingham released. Striker Andy Williams also moved on and Louis Thompson went back to parent club Swindon. Talents like Byrne and Kasim remain but the squad looks very small and will rely on wily business from Mark Cooper in the loan market. Can see the young squad not quite faring as well this time around.

Key Man : Nathan Byrne, Defender

9. Millwall

Another side that has come down but they have seen a lot of players move on or be released and the squad lacks leadership and experience. They can have a real home advantage with the intimidation of the fans which will be more of a factor at the lower level. Another rookie manager but one respected at the Den in Neil Harris. They have brought back experienced defender Tony Craig and have a talent in midfield in Nadim Abjou but the squad does have a lot of holes that need addressing. They might find things harder than they think.

Key Man : Lee Gregory, Striker

10. Rochdale

Had a really good season last season and were quite close to the playoffs. Manager Keith Hill always does well with limited resources. He continues to surprise. Ex Blades Brandy and McGinty have moved on after doing very little but they have a solid spine and ex Plymouth man Allesandra will add something different. The surprise factor is not there this time but they will still be around the upper echeleons.

Key Man : Ian Henderson, Striker

11. Bury

A newly promoted side but one that in my opinion will do very well as have tons of experience and seem to have a larger budget than they have had at this level than before. They have recruited some experienced strikers in Leon Clarke and Tom Pope and have players like Ryan Lowe and Daniel Naridello around too. Peter Clarke adds experience at the back. I midfield they have some athleticism with Etuhu and Jacob Mellis. David Flitcroft has done well to bounce back from leaving Barnsley and expect him to carry on Bury’s transition here.

Key Man : Leon Clarke, Striker

12. Coventry

The move back to the Ricoh did not quite herald the transformation that Sky Blues fans would have hoped but the first full season for Tony Mowbray should herald more stability. They have not really added many players with young striker Adam Armstrong coming in from Newcastle on loan and former Orient midfielder Romain Vincelot arriving. They have some experienced players such as Reda Johnson and Jim O’Brien but do lack genuine striking options and unsure the squad is strong enough to contend at the top.

Key Man : Adam Armstrong, Striker

13. Fleetwood

Had a superb season last year and skirted with the top 6. However they have lost a few key players in the summer and Josh Morris will be a real loss. In comes Jimmy Ryan from Chesterfield and Amari Bell from Birmingham. I think they will have enough to not be near the bottom but be difficult for them to be quite as high as last season. Graham Alexander is a good young manager and has to be commended for job he has done here.

Key Man : Jimmy Ryan, Midfielder

14. Gillingham

Stayed up fairly comfortably in the end and manager Justin Edinburgh continued to prove his talent after doing so well at Newport. They seem to be a bit more settled and have kept much of the squad together. They will not contend for promotion but will not be amongst the strugglers either and if they continue to be strong at home; they can surprise some of the bigger sides.

Key Man : Cody McDonald, Striker

15. Walsall

Have not quite fared as well for the last few seasons and with small crowds and limited budget, it is hard for them to keep punching above their weight. Lost another key man in Richard O’Donnell but still have some talent in Romaine Sawyers and Tom Bradshaw who will get them enough goals to keep them away from the strugglers.

Key Man : Tom Bradshaw, Striker

16. Chesterfield

I could be miles off with this prediction but there is always one side who does well one

season and then falls off. I would not have pegged Chesterfield any higher than 10-12th even keeping their players but having lost Doyle, Darwika, Roberts and Clucas, I do not see them bouncing back from having the spine of their team ravaged. Sylvain Ebanks Blake is a player on his way down and Dean Saunders is a huge drop off from the excellent Paul Cook and worryingly has a record for taking teams down. They might just stave off such a turnaround but it will be tough.

Key Man : Tommy Lee, Goalkeeper

17. Burton

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink carried on the superb work started by Gary Rowett and the Brewers came up as Champions. Losing Adam McGurk to Portsmouth was a blow and the squad lacks experience at this level to some degree but they should carry on the momentum from last year to stay up.

Key Man : John Mousinho, Midfield

17.Oldham

Not quite the same after Gary Johnson left. They have Lee Croft back and have brought in experienced David Dunn but it is a thin squad on the whole with former Blade Danny Philliskirk counted on for the creativity. They have some striking options in Dominic Poleon, Jonathan Forte and also Jake Cassidy but Forte will not score as many goals this season and without this it will be tougher.

Key Man : David Dunn, Midfielder

1. Port Vale

Vale did ok for large parts of the season but then tailed off towards the end. They have lost some key players including striker Tom Pope. Ex Blade Michael Brown is still there but they have a real lack of quality in the rest of the squad and I fear they may have a season looking over their shoulders.

Key Man : Anthony Grant, Midfielder

1. Shrewsbury

Have bounced between the bottom two divisions in the last few years but I think the have enough to survive this time around. Young players such as Connor Goldson and Ryan Woods will continue to develop and they have some experience in the likes of Liam Lawrence. James Collins and Tyrone Barnett have to get the goals or they may be sucked into a scrap though at the bottom.

Key Man : Connor Goldson, Defender

1. Southend

Were literally seconds away from being back in League Two but a late leveller and then penalty drama saw them deny Wycombe to gain promotion. They lost striker Barry Corr who opted to for a bigger pay deal at Cambridge. However they have an excellent keeper in Daniel Bentley and a manager who has been about a bit in Phil Brown. Think they will need to be strong at home to survive but with lack of goal threats and a small squad it could be a step too far.

Key Man : Daniel Bentley, Goalkeeper

22.Colchester

Last day heroics saw them survive but one or two veterans have moved on. They have signed a few defenders in Brindley (ex Rotherham) and Briggs (ex Millwall) but have largely the same squad as last year. Ex Blade Chris Porter may be a good pro but the fact he is now captain and expected to lead from the front says it all about their chances this season. They will definitely be one of the stragglers.

Key Man : George Moncur, Midfielder

1. 23. Blackpool

I do not see the rot stopping anytime soon. The club is a mess. The arguments rage and the chairman clearly does not seem to give a damn. Most of the experienced players they did have left have moved on. They have brought in a few loan players that are inexperienced and a few lads from the Scottish Leagues but it looks a threadbare squad. Neil McDonald has the impossible task of trying to halt the slide but with arguments on (Nial Ranger who signed a new contract but already called the new manager out on twitter) and off the pitch (with Oyston and the fans); I cannot see how they can turn things around. If fans boycott games it will make it even harder for them.

Key Man : Colin Doyle, Goalkeeper

24. Crewe

Crewe stayed up by the skin of their teeth last year and do not seem to have brought many
notable players in losing a couple including the influential Anthony Grant. Unsure where the
goals will come from. They will continue to bring through the young talent but can see them
struggling this season.

Key Man : George Ray, Defender

And for a bonus laugh….

Here are my predictions for the other leagues:

Premiership :

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Man City

4. Arsenal

Relegated :

18. Aston Villa

19. Bournemouth

20. Norwich

Championship :

1. Middlesbrough

2. Derby

Promotion in Playoffs : Burnley beat Hull

Relegated :

22. MK Dons

23. Birmingham

24. Charlton

League Two :

1. Cambridge

2. Portsmouth

3. Notts County

Promotion in Playoffs : Orient beat Oxford

Relegated :

23. Mansfield

24. Dagenham

While we're disappointed by the form over the past 3 games, thought it might be worth thinking back to what was expected. You have to go down to 10th-placed Rochdale till you have a team above us out of Deadbat's expected top 10. Similarly, they're the only ones of the bookies tips that currently sit above us.

Point I'm making, which I appreciate will be no consolation to some, is that while we're not setting the league alight, none of our expected competition is either – they've all had mediocre starts.

Flip side of that is of course that had we seized the opportunity provided by the last three, we could have pulled away from these.

I don't expect many of the current top 6 will last. Despite our defensive woes, I do think we're in an OK position to kick on from...

sky-bet-league-1-probabilities-2015-07-16.png

Oooooooooooh I missed this before but I wanna play. I knwo I'm a bit late but....

1. Wigan
2. Sheffield United
3. Coventry
4. Gillingham
5. Bradford
6. Burton
7. Walsall
8. Barnsley
9. Bury
10. Rochdale
11. Swindon
12. Milwall
13 Fleetwood
14. Chesterfield
15. Doncaster
16. Peterborough
17. Southend
18. Scunthorpe
19. Colchester
20. Port Vale
21. Scunthorpe
22. Oldham
23. Crewe
24. Blackpool

The interesting thing is that the experts (bookies, pundits) and most neutrals
Even after our poor last 3 results still predict we'll get auto promotion.

Still a long way to go.

Still think we will finish top 2. Long way to go yet, players to come in and back from injury, as well as another transfer windows.

I also can't see any other teams smashing it, other than us , Wigan and maybe Coventry. Don't see Burton, Gillingham or Wallsall having enough over the whole season for automatic and everyone else seems just as inconsistent as us, the difference being that we will get stronger.

1. Blades
2. Coventry
3. Wigan
4. Swindon (win play offs)
5. Walsall
6. Milwall (think they will come good eventually)

21. Scunthorpe
22. Peterborough
23. Blackpool
24. Crewe

Mid-season check shows just how far we are under-achieving and how well Gillingham, Bury, Burton and Coventry are doing.

As ever our expectations exceed our performances,;net result frustration and anger.

;)And of course who listened to me in the summer predicting Leicester would be top of the Premiership?

Back
Top Bottom