league 1

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

biggey blade

Reaction score
Are we ever going to get out of the league I am sorry for been all doom and gloom, but are we ever going to get out of this league.
I thought adkins was the man to get us out of this league but even he seems to be struggling. I know it is still only early but the form we are on can anyone see us doing it?
On paper we are by far the best team in the league and think this is the easiest league one for a while and can't see it getting much easier. We have a manager known for getting out of league one but even he is loosing patience with the players.
I know we are still 7th which proves how poor this league is with us winning one in 6 games and still managing to be in 7th.
Think we really need to get our arsed in gear before some one starts running away with this league like Bristol city did. We are still 8 points from the leaders which is a big gap to have so early on in the season.
I know a lot of people will comment on this saying it's still early days and this and that but come on how long do you want to give it before we start saying are we really good enough?

Are we ever going to get out of the league I am sorry for been all doom and gloom, but are we ever going to get out of this league.
I thought adkins was the man to get us out of this league but even he seems to be struggling. I know it is still only early but the form we are on can anyone see us doing it?
On paper we are by far the best team in the league and think this is the easiest league one for a while and can't see it getting much easier. We have a manager known for getting out of league one but even he is loosing patience with the players.
I know we are still 7th which proves how poor this league is with us winning one in 6 games and still managing to be in 7th.
Think we really need to get our arsed in gear before some one starts running away with this league like Bristol city did. We are still 8 points from the leaders which is a big gap to have so early on in the season.
I know a lot of people will comment on this saying it's still early days and this and that but come on how long do you want to give it before we start saying are we really good enough?

The league is poor and we are just as poor as most of them.

Foghorn_Leghorn.png

It does say a lot, we are fortunate we are not further behind, come on Adkins sort these muppets we call footballers out and get them winning.
Its not game over but we need to be playing more direct attacking football and putting this sideways/ backwards passing /possession bullshit play behind us.

Doesnt seem to matter that the league gets worse in quality every year

Usually an adequate outlay of cash a devent manager and a consistent level of enthusiasm will be enough to safely leave the lower budget tryers behind

Looks like three teams could get up to the championship this time around who could probably have never dreamed of it before
As no club seems to think spending your way out of it is a worthwile strategy
We could still turn it round but im not overly confident the keystone cops behind the scenes know how to do it

Nigel needs to be less positive (yes I know), however telling us that the players and club need to look at themselves and improve, and we are starting to hear the same stuff every week. What I want to see is some action. I want to see some players being made an example of. Performances like this won't be tolerated or your with the u21's. There are a few players in their contract year and they need to earn a new one. Currently we are giving them a free pass.

as i said in a previous post BB,we have lost 4 games that we really should have beaten,we are now in a scenario yet again of playing catch up as in previous seasons, which will take some doing to finish in the top 2

Nigel needs to be less positive (yes I know), however telling us that the players and club need to look at themselves and improve, and we are starting to hear the same stuff every week. What I want to see is some action. I want to see some players being made an example of. Performances like this won't be tolerated or your with the u21's. There are a few players in their contract year and they need to earn a new one. Currently we are giving them a free pass.
personally i think the side is soft and requires a bit of a joey barton charactor (not that i like bloke, think he is a prize prick) but he made that burnley team tick against rovrum

I agree with the on paper stuff - we do seem to make these players look like shit together. Take Higdon for example, leaves Bramall lane and is 2 in 2 so far for mid table Oldham!

Whatever the problem is, its been here a while, and 3 managers (Weir, Nige 1, Nige 2) don't seem to have solved it.

It does say a lot, we are fortunate we are not further behind, come on Adkins sort these muppets we call footballers out and get them winning.
Its not game over but we need to be playing more direct attacking football and putting this sideways/ backwards passing /possession bullshit play behind us.

Poor old Pinchy has just strained his neck shaking his head.

Tend to feel more pressure is required to be inflicted on the opposition though and if getting it forwards quicker creates that pressure and we achieve it by being more direct then so be it.

Tend to feel more pressure is required to be inflicted on the opposition though and if getting it forwards quicker creates that pressure and we achieve it by being more direct then so be it.

I felt this way at Burton, it was clear that we weren't going to get anything from our pondeous approach play so why not just punt it towards Sammon and let Sharp feed on the scraps. That sticks in the throat for me because i am very much an advocate of keeping the ball on the ground but we dont have the movement to create space for the passing game to bear fruit (even less so now then when Clough was in charge / Murphy was here occupying 2 deffenders).

Maybe we should get ahead, by any means neccessary and then play the neat and tidy stuff when the opponents have to come out and leave gaps for the killer passes.

Don't know why anyone would have a problem with a team playing direct attacking football, most of the teams in this league crumble with any pressure, and this sideways/ backward passing isn't doing the trick.

I do believe we have got out of this division twice before, will we ever get out of it of course, either this or next season , hopefully this
why because we have to , need to have the club has the desire to

I just feel like the league isn't going to get much easier than this and can't see the top few at the min managing to hold down there spots at the top but saying that I don't want them to start and get a hold on the league other wise it might be to little to late.

no league is ever easy
those who think any is are deluded
we are here as its our current level
but we have never been out of top 7 so we will only need to improve a bit to go up ,
a 10 % improvement on previous seasons should see us up

oohh man utd getting ripped apart at Arsenal

personally i think the side is soft and requires a bit of a joey barton charactor (not that i like bloke, think he is a prize prick) but he made that burnley team tick against rovrum

I agree, not Barton exactly, but someone who is not a soft touch, actually battles for the ball, shouts out orders, won't shy away from the hard tackles.

Who do we have in that role currently?

Said it before, will no doubt say it many more times, when SWFC pipped us to promotion (Evans in prison, McDonald on crutches, Maguire 3 game ban, etc..) Megson had built a team of rough giants, only 3 players under 6 feet tall, and some of them big rough house units like Reda Johnson, Jose Semedo, Gary Madine,

It pains me to say it, but Bury, Port Vale, and others, would not have bullied and shoved them off the ball.

Port Vale.....to be honest they were crap yesterday, a rag tag team of clumsy cloggers, with one very fast, small, nippy player, and they beat us easily.

I agree, not Barton exactly, but someone who is not a soft touch, actually battles for the ball, shouts out orders, won't shy away from the hard tackles.

Who do we have in that role currently?

Said it before, will no doubt say it many more times, when SWFC pipped us to promotion (Evans in prison, McDonald on crutches, Maguire 3 game ban, etc..) Megson had built a team of rough giants, only 3 players under 6 feet tall, and some of them big rough house units like Reda Johnson, Jose Semedo, Gary Madine,

It pains me to say it, but Bury, Port Vale, and others, would not have bullied and shoved them off the ball.

Port Vale.....to be honest they were crap yesterday, a rag tag team of clumsy cloggers, with one very fast, small, nippy player, and they beat us easily.
agreed grappler, i always thought (and this wont go down well with some on here) we should have gone for rob jones from the darkside, he made a big difference to that donny rovers side that went up a couple of seasons ago, he liked to put his thick head were it counted,like it or not megson got it right for the pigs, mutch as that pains me to say :(

agreed grappler, i always thought (and this wont go down well with some on here) we should have gone for rob jones from the darkside, he made a big difference to that donny rovers side that went up a couple of seasons ago, he liked to put his thick head were it counted,like it or not megson got it right for the pigs, mutch as that pains me to say :(

And it also pains me to say , so did Dave Jones.

UTB

You can only polish a turd so much! If you put Morenio in charge of our squad it wouldn't get them playing like Chelsea (OK bad example but you know where I'm coming from and I can't spell Manures managers name).

Look at the "big" clubs that have been down here in recent years. Wolves, Norwich, Southampton, the Pigs, Leeds, Leicester, Swansea, Forest, Hull.

This season Coventry and Bradford are our closest rivals in terms of size. No one's going to outspend us massively.

We're the biggest club in League One and remain favourites for promotion. We're five points off automatic with eleven games gone. We're not going to win every game. The good ship Promotion is on course. As others say, get a grip.

Arsenal were 5 points off top spot before the game today. All it took was a good performance and a win, bringing them into 2nd place and within two points of Man City, and people are saying what a top team they are and how this could be Wenger's year.

Funny how soon some absolutely shit performances (not least in the CL in Arsenal's case) can be forgotten after an emphatic win.

If we beat Rochdale on Saturday (and maybe a couple of other results favour us) we'll be right back in it, regardless of previous shit performances

Arsenal were 5 points off top spot before the game today. All it took was a good performance and a win, bringing them into 2nd place and within two points of Man City, and people are saying what a top team they are and how this could be Wenger's year.

Funny how soon some absolutely shit performances (not least in the CL in Arsenal's case) can be forgotten after an emphatic win.

If we beat Rochdale on Saturday (and maybe a couple of other results favour us) we'll be right back in it, regardless of previous shit performances
Im sure we will be right back in more than a few times between now and the end of the season
But like last year every time we looked like putting a good run together and grabbing this shitballs division by the horns the players put in another inexplicably careless performance and that cycle of events has followed into this season under a new manager
Unless the first team is strengthened with winners and the type of characters that can drag the rest up their level then the rest of the spineless princesses will just carry on with their inconsistent balless performances

We're the biggest club in League One and remain favourites for promotion. We're five points off automatic with eleven games gone. We're not going to win every game. The good ship Promotion is on course. As others say, get a grip.

It's not a case of getting a grip it's a case of wanting what judge says.

Unless the first team is strengthened with winners and the type of characters that can drag the rest up their level then the rest of the spineless princesses will just carry on with their inconsistent balless performances

Putting in a shift but losing to a better team would be accepted, it's the not putting it in and that being down to gaps in the squad that everyone knows about is what drives us to despair.

Some saw this coming 8 months ago.

Next season if we don't go up will be worse as we build with a third division budget.

I agree with the on paper stuff - we do seem to make these players look like shit together. Take Higdon for example, leaves Bramall lane and is 2 in 2 so far for mid table Oldham!

Whatever the problem is, its been here a while, and 3 managers (Weir, Nige 1, Nige 2) don't seem to have solved it.

Im sure we will be right back in more than a few times between now and the end of the season
But like last year every time we looked like putting a good run together and grabbing this shitballs division by the horns the players put in another inexplicably careless performance and that cycle of events has followed into this season under a new manager

...and many others.

So the falcon has heard the falconer. We need proper bastards like Barton and Flitcroft (Bury manager) to get us out of this division. Otherwise we'll be having this pathetic 'we were bullied out of it' shit on a weekly basis. Players like Barton won't come cheap but, when the other feckless bastards who refuse to put a shift in complain, it will be easy to point out that they've had their chance. And didn't take it.

While ever people go on about which players would be suitable in the Championship, the delusion will go on. This is a 'soft' division and we're struggling. It's becoming increasingly more relevant to ask 'which of these players (and manager...) will get us out of the fourth division?'

Last edited:
We really do not have the strongest team on paper.

Howard - average league 1 keeper. Would get in a few sides in the league but they are all quite similar in standard in this league with no real stand out keeper, with the exception of Dan Bentley at Southend.

McEveley - discarded by Swindon and without a club until September last season as no body wanted him until we came in for him.

Collins - an average league 1 centre half who is getting older and poorer each season.

Edgar - a defender who has never lived up to his promise and looks far too soft centred for the lower leagues.

K Wallace - in an experienced kid who has show promise but unlikely to be ready to hold down a first team place.

Basham - a limited midfielder who is average in possession, does not dominate the midfield but can have the occasional very good game where he shines. Inconsistent the rest of the time though despite his good work ethic.

Flynn - very inconsistent winger who rarely takes his full back on and doesn't produce enough assists.

Coutts - a player who was very good 5 years ago but is now looking a shadow of his former self. Not dominating in midfield, not quick either. Tidy in possession and the kind of player who will be effective provided the other 3 in midfield around him to do all his running.

Baxter - awfully inconsistent and frustrating. Without doubt a talented player, who I think like Coutts, could be very good if we have others around him to do his running and donkey work but we don't.

Scougall - light weight, poor in possession and doesn't offer much other than being a willing runner who is happy to press the opposition. Trouble is that when he wins the ball back he rarely does anything with it.

Woolford - was good 5 years ago at Scunny. His best days are well behind him now though.

JCR - very inconsistent. 1 good game in 6.

Alcock - your typical average league 1 defender.

Adams - a raw striker being played out of position on the wing and failing to impress. Barring Chesterfield he has been largely anonymous, mainly because he is a striker and a different type of player to Murphy.

I make that 3 of our first choice back 4 being substandard and 3 of our first choice midfield 4 being substandard as well.

Adkins is no miracle worker. He has an average league 1 squad made up of players largely on inflated wages that they would not achieve anywhere else. If we get promotion this season Adkins would have done a terrific job but I strongly doubt it.

Yes he was the giant of the side wasn't he, Jones. The second goal at BDTBL when Reda Johnson and Madine ran straight through our defence and clattered Simmo, putting the ball in the net at the same time.

Yes he was the giant of the side wasn't he, Jones. The second goal at BDTBL when Reda Johnson and Madine ran straight through our defence and clattered Simmo, putting the ball in the net at the same time.

Surely you mean Maguire, Phil? I remember that goal well - my grannie could have put in a better defensive job. Rob Jones hasn't played for us, but was a colossus in his playing career with Wendy and Donny - exactly the kind of player we're crying out for.

We really do not have the strongest team on paper.

McEveley - discarded by Swindon and without a club until September last season as no body wanted him until we came in for him.

Adkins. Discarded by Southampton and Reading and out of work for 6 months until United came in for him?

Back
Top Bottom