Last time a Blades manager got promoted first time

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesway

Not a member of the reaction faction
Reaction score
If I have it right, Ian Porterfield from Division 4. We may have done the right thing but before some of you get the tissues out consider that the last time we got out of a division upwards at the first time of asking it was 81/82. Going down however is a more recent affair as we know.

Whatever we do next has to be a 2 year plan at least because going up at the first time of asking, with less time to sign players etc is a massive ask. Certainly for us.

Be warned the road ahead isn't going to be paved with gold any time soon.

So what to do? Well I am sure some will say Big Sam and others reach for that king of Bladey Bladeness Neil Warnock. For the short term and for a one season fix that may be ok but what about 1,2 or even three years down the line? If we are genuinely building a future then these men are not the answer. Adkins? Don't know myself. Parkinson or Evans seems to be about the height of our pulling power but I'm not convinced there either.

I think unless they have an ace up their sleeve we are in for a fuckload of trouble. Here's hoping I'm wrong because I don't see anything out there that excites me and 2 cup semi's and a play off in 1 1/2 seasons isn't the worst record to put on your CV.

Bassett got us relegated in his first season and offered his resignation but Brearley turned it down

I was going on the basis Bassett did not take over until January '88. His first full season was 88/89.

I was going on the basis Bassett did not take over until January '88. His first full season was 88/89.

Fair do. If I give you that it's still the best part of 30 years ago!

Yes. We haven't had an immediately successful manager really since then - although you could argue Warnock's first 12 months upto December 2000 were pretty successful.

How many times have we had a new manager in charge when we've been the biggest club with the biggest budget in the league?

How many times have we had a new manager in charge when we've been the biggest club with the biggest budget in the league?

Robson 07/08? Wilson 11/12? Don't know for sure but how relevant is that to a basic fact? Unless you want your own agenda crow barred into the discussion?

Robson 07/08? Wilson 11/12? Don't know for sure but how relevant is that to a basic fact? Unless you want your own agenda crow barred into the discussion?

Robson is a crap manager, simple as that, we were never going to go up under him, bad appointment simple as.

Wilson, yes he failed but with the points he achieved it's difficult to be critical because the majority of other seasons we would have gone up.

Robson is a crap manager, simple as that.

Only man in Premiership history to keep a team up when they were bottom at Christmas. Devils 's Advocate by the way not disagreeing.

If I have it right, Ian Porterfield from Division 4. We may have done the right thing but before some of you get the tissues out consider that the last time we got out of a division upwards at the first time of asking it was 81/82. Going down however is a more recent affair as we know.

Whatever we do next has to be a 2 year plan at least because going up at the first time of asking, with less time to sign players etc is a massive ask. Certainly for us.

Be warned the road ahead isn't going to be paved with gold any time soon.

So what to do? Well I am sure some will say Big Sam and others reach for that king of Bladey Bladeness Neil Warnock. For the short term and for a one season fix that may be ok but what about 1,2 or even three years down the line? If we are genuinely building a future then these men are not the answer. Adkins? Don't know myself. Parkinson or Evans seems to be about the height of our pulling power but I'm not convinced there either.

I think unless they have an ace up their sleeve we are in for a fuckload of trouble. Here's hoping I'm wrong because I don't see anything out there that excites me and 2 cup semi's and a play off in 1 1/2 seasons isn't the worst record to put on your CV.
Why not next season whoever gets the post !! most of us have identified where the weaknesses are (stands out like a sore thumb) we are not far short of having a squad capable of taking this division clough has left us with some weakesses but whoever gets the job will be well aware of those and by sacking clough the board have made a statement of intent which means they have to back the new man with cash.

Only man in Premiership history to keep a team up when they were bottom at Christmas. Devils 's Advocate by the way not disagreeing.

Also with a record low points total.

Going back to the original point, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect us to be mounting a serious challenge for automatic next season. Assuming we keep our best players and add to the squad, there shouldn't be any excuses.

That's not to say that it means no promotion = sack, if we get a manager with a track record of promotion it is easier to have faith that sooner or later we will go up. My biggest problem with Clough was that I didn't think he would get us promoted while ever there is a hole in my arse.

team is crap.. no balance .. disorder in the dressing room.. shocking treatment of captain over contract.. been missing three key players all season.. shocking to watch.. should i continue? i had zero confidence we would get up next year and it appears HRH concurs

Absolutely cannot disagree with that Bladesway - in the cold light of day, sacking Clough now could become the most stupid thing this club has done, ever.

Back
Top Bottom