Keep Calm. Things need to fall into place, that's all.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
At the end of last season Clough declared that he would be very active over the summer in the transfer market and that some business was under way already, as it was indeed. Some 8 signings or more done in good time.

He specially mentioned strikers and said McNulty would be one of a "strong strike force of four". Many fans would not include Baxter in those four but I think Clough does, and he also mentioned that Murphy could play up there when needed, so there was cover as well.

Well we have McNulty, Porter and Baxter.

At that time he explained that some targets drop into place and others take a while. Some targets take so long that it is imprudent to hold out for them and there was always a need to keep a couple of other situations simmering. Maybe all that has happened to Clough this past few weeks.

We are a week away from the start of the new season, so how do we fans interpret our situation? Many would not have chosen Porter as 4th choice, and a "first choice" between NcNulty and Baxter doesn't leap off the page of a potential promotion story.

What seems obvious is that Clough has a target and something has to happen before it comes to fruition. For example, the word is that Derby are set to sign Leon Best - could that be the trigger? Southampton are all over the place and must be about to sign some strikers. Who knows?

Thing is we should trust Clough to achieve his goals and keep the faith. We are lucky to have him, his appointment came out of the abyss at a time we were dropping like a stone. He personally has a lot riding on United success. His career has been good, but not very good, he has a lot to prove and he knows failure at Bramall Lane would more or less write off any hopes of managing in the Premiership.

The signing of a new "talisman striker" will have been uppermost in his mind since he joined us. It might take until the end of August, sometimes these things do.

Word is we hope to sign a young Derby hopeful but he cannot be the "talisman". Clough knows he needs 15 goals plus from the new man. No, it can't be Evans, he would arrive too late in the season and would take months to get match sharp.

I'm sure we fans will show patience and loyalty to our management team. They are all we've got. Where would we go if we failed to get promotion this season? Who would we get any better than Clough? We are in it together and we should demonstrate our support at every opportunity even if the season doesn't lift off straight away. OK we all feel as though we need a new striker but at least our club should have cash in the kitty for loanees as and when needed and at a time when other clubs are spent up; it is a long season.

Clough is communicating well with us fans. However, we are Blades fans and are never sure how much brass is in the kitty. We've rarely had any cash to speak of and our natural inclination is to blame the budget in these circumstances. Clough seems to be signalling that it is not the budget that is holding him back, let's hope that is the case.

Do we need lots of stikers if we play 4-5-1 ?

You also haven't mentioned Diego. Then there is the one currently serving time in HMP. Recent news links us with the kid from Derby.

It would be interesting to know if we are inside the FFP rules as we have signed a lot of players and they won't be on peanuts.

There is also the loan window which may result in a top name forward being brought in for lets say 3 months until the above mentioned gets match fit again.

I suspect we are going to start 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 to keep games very tight and make sure after a dozen games we are there or there about. It will not be pretty, I doubt we will win games by lots and definitely should not lose very many. A season is not about who starts well, but who "grows" into a season - 2 years ago it was Tranmere, last it was Leyton Orient. Congrats to the Rovrum, they went along steadily and got better as the season went on as did Brentford. We might have to settle for a few low scoring, boring games but the aim and the only aim is to get out of this shit league.

The key this season might be midfield players who get forward and score goals. We might end up with no one who gets 20 goals but if the midfield can all get to double figures then that may be ok - and that excludes Doyle who I don't think should start - but we all have our opinions.

How about this? - we go up this season after one or two dips along the way , and then we go straight through next season. Bassett did it, why not Clough?

UTB

Totally agree woody, this is a long haul, hopefully last season in league one then steady build for another 2/3 maybe 4 seasons, could clough be the Alex ferguson of SUFC? Or even a tenure akin to Bassett or Warnock would be nice rather than 3 managers a season.
The watch word is patience, patience with the players, with the flagship striker, with the manager, give them the chance to show us we should be favourites for auto promotion, as I maintain we are good enough to do at a stroll once everything clicks.
Keep the faith
UTB

At the end of last season Clough declared that he would be very active over the summer in the transfer market and that some business was under way already, as it was indeed. Some 8 signings or more done in good time.

He specially mentioned strikers and said McNulty would be one of a "strong strike force of four". Many fans would not include Baxter in those four but I think Clough does, and he also mentioned that Murphy could play up there when needed, so there was cover as well.

At that time he explained that some targets drop into place and others take a while. Some targets take so long that it is imprudent to hold out for them and there was always a need to keep a couple of other situations simmering. Maybe all that has happened to Clough this past few weeks.

We are a week away from the start of the new season, so how do we fans interpret our situation? Many would not have chosen Porter as 4th choice, and a "first choice" between NcNulty and Baxter doesn't leap off the page of a potential promotion story.

What seems obvious is that Clough has a target and something has to happen before it comes to fruition. For example, the word is that Derby are set to sign Leon Best - could that be the trigger? Southampton are all over the place and must be about to sign some strikers. Who knows?

Thing is we should trust Clough to achieve his goals and keep the faith. We are lucky to have him, his appointment came out of the abyss at a time we were dropping like a stone. He personally has a lot riding on United success. His career has been good, but not very good, he has a lot to prove and he knows failure at Bramall Lane would more or less write off any hopes of managing in the Premiership.

The signing of a new "talisman striker" will have been uppermost in his mind since he joined us. It might take until the end of August, sometimes these things do.

Word is we hope to sign a young Derby hopeful but he cannot be the "talisman". Clough knows he needs 15 goals plus from the new man. No, it can't be Evans, he would arrive too late in the season and would take months to get match sharp.

I'm sure we fans will show patience and loyalty to our management team. They are all we've got. Where would we go if we failed to get promotion this season? Who would we get any better than Clough? We are in it together and we should demonstrate our support at every opportunity even if the season doesn't lift off straight away. OK we all feel as though we need a new striker but at least our club should have cash in the kitty for loanees as and when needed and at a time when other clubs are spent up; it is a long season.

Clough is communicating well with us fans. However, we are Blades fans and are never sure how much brass is in the kitty. We've rarely had any cash to speak of and our natural inclination is to blame the budget in these circumstances. Clough seems to be signalling that it is not the budget that is holding him back, let's hope that is the case.
What a good post. Can be so easy to be impatient and negative sometimes when we really need to look at the bigger
picture and be realistic.

Reading between the lines about the young kid from Derby it looks as though Freeman has got a bit greedy at the last
minute and that is holding the deal up. All credit to Cloughie for saying he wants players who want to come to the club
first and ask how much they will be getting paid afterwards.

Also is the form and fitness of Diego a deciding factor in the search for a new striker. I personally think he needs to show
a bit more but who knows he could be doing well in training and could well step up to the mark. Once a few clubs have finished
doing their business things could open up a little bit more so let's not panic just yet.

If we do sign Higdon, Freeman and Bennett I think we're starting to look very strong, and even our reserve side looks decent:

Howard
Alcock Collins Butler Harris
JCR Basham Wallace Scougall Murphy
Higdon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Baxter
DeGirolamo Dimaio Doyle Reed Flynn
Davies Kennedy McGahey Freeman
Willis

Still unused: Porter, McNulty, Bennett, McGinn, Khan

If we do sign Higdon, Freeman and Bennett I think we're starting to look very strong, and even our reserve side looks decent:

Howard
Higdon
Baxter
Willis

Looking at those line-ups Bergen Blade, we'll have the strength in depth that's been absent for some time. I'm a bit clueless about the possibility of Higdon becoming a Blade, most of what I've read is fan speculation, so no idea how realistic this might be. But impressed with our cover and think Clough has done well with his dealings throughout the close season.

If Freeman does sign I would make him first choice right back as he's better going forward than Alcock and I think attacking full backs were key to our success last season.

I would possibly try Alcock and Butler together as the new centre back pairing. Collins and Butler together seems might it will lack pace. I don't think Collins is guaranteed a slot now as he had a great partnership with Harry which often made up for his individual shortcomings.

Surprising you haven't mentioned Mcgahey at CH - I reckon he will start next week and will be better than the one that has gone to Hull............can't remember his name now!

If we were going to experiment with new centre back pairings we should have done it in one of the friendlies. I'm a bit concerned that the solid Maguire-Collins partnership from last season doesn't seem to have been replaced, judging by the number of goals L2 sides have scored against us.
The whole team needs to take a step up in performance next week.

Back to the O.P. I reckon the very first signing Clough would have made would have been THE STRIKER. It didn't work out that way, and, as I've said on another thread; Lyle Taylor must have been some reprobate or absolutely useless!!??

However, keep the faith, he's all we've got!

Trouble is we have too many players. There is no reserve team, cos nobody has a clue what the best team is.
It will probably work itself out over time, if i'm honest it's what i do on football manger! Sign a load of players and spend the first few months figuring out who's actually any good. Works well for me, i've got us to win the champions league and premier league several times each. Not sure it will work in real life, we'll have to wait and see! :cool:

You talk a lot of sense Woody but we shouldn't be waiting till the end of August for a striker, we've had all Summer to come up with one and still nothing.

The saving grace is that we have last year's formation which will see us through so far. 4-5-1, very good for a cup run but any promotion challenge needs goals surely.

Cloough has more to lose than us Blades Fans, so keep the faith. Or is he so adjusted personally that he does not drive for success any more? Either way he is our only hope!

Edit: Sorry that's a late night throwaway!

Howard
Higdon
Baxter
Willis

Can't for my life see why anyone would replace JCR with Flynn at the moment.. He's a quality player but unless he's earn't his place or Flynn is unfit he's not proven yet.

Back
Top Bottom