just thought i'd repost this..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

super_pig

Reaction score
found in the rumours section, i'd been looking for it 'cos i remembered the original.

thanks nedski.. original post from themaninblack

Got this update last week from a pal of mine, life-long Ram, on living with Nigel:
Most Derby fans were broadly pro-Clough, because in addition to his name, they could see that he and done a good job re-modelling the side with no money to spend. Each season there had been some progress, all be it very small.
On the downside, he is not without his flaws. Chief among these are;
Total unwillingness to change tack when things aren't working- he never makes substitutions before the 89th minute and never ever ever changes tactics or formations during the course of a game.
Has no time for 'flair' (or foreign or, worryingly, black) players. Only likes honest artisans who run around and get a sweat on, regardless of ability.
Has favourites (see above) whose place in the side is guaranteed even after a dozen poor performances.
Publicly criticises and falls-out with players and never forgives them, even if they are our best player. He is never culpable for a defeat, it is always the (named) player's fault.
If you score early he will try to defend the lead for the whole game instead of looking for another goal- this invariably ends in disappointment!
Surrounds himself with a load of ex-forest yes-men (Crosby, Metgod, Garner etc) whom are too scared to ever contradict him.
He followed it up with:
I forgot to mention, every player you sign must come from one of the following locations:
1) must have played for either Burton Albion or Mansfield Town or preferably both.
2) the Scottish Premier League ( fertile hunting ground for the talentless trier).
3) the League of Ireland ( I presume he must like holidaying there).
Also, of course, you may not know the name of our chief scout was- Simon Clough!

wow.. pretty sobering reading eh?

found in the rumours section, i'd been looking for it 'cos i remembered the original.

Got this update last week from a pal of mine, life-long Ram, on living with Nigel:
Most Derby fans were broadly pro-Clough, because in addition to his name, they could see that he and done a good job re-modelling the side with no money to spend. Each season there had been some progress, all be it very small.
Total unwillingness to change tack when things aren't working- he never makes substitutions before the 89th minute and never ever ever changes tactics or formations during the course of a game.
Has no time for 'flair' (or foreign or, worryingly, black) players. Only likes honest artisans who run around and get a sweat on, regardless of ability.
Has favourites (see above) whose place in the side is guaranteed even after a dozen poor performances.
Publicly criticises and falls-out with players and never forgives them, even if they are our best player. He is never culpable for a defeat, it is always the (named) player's fault.
If you score early he will try to defend the lead for the whole game instead of looking for another goal- this invariably ends in disappointment!
Surrounds himself with a load of ex-forest yes-men (Crosby, Metgod, Garner etc) whom are too scared to ever contradict him.
He followed it up with:
I forgot to mention, every player you sign must come from one of the following locations:
1) must have played for either Burton Albion or Mansfield Town or preferably both.
2) the Scottish Premier League ( fertile hunting ground for the talentless trier).
Also, of course, you may not know the name of our chief scout was- Simon Clough!

Don't know if you've heard yet, but Nigel Clough has already left Sheffield United and won't be returning. So maybe you could gradually get out of the habit of slagging him off at every opportunity and just move on with life?

Don't know if you've heard yet, but Nigel Clough has already left Sheffield United and won't be returning. So maybe you could gradually get out of the habit of slagging him off at every opportunity and just move on with life?
point taken .. you know i was just thinking the same.. although the board is about banter and you should take my posts firmly tongue in cheek. perhaps i should add a disclaimer for more sensitive types? ;)

point taken .. you know i was just thinking the same.. although the board is about banter and you should take my posts firmly tongue in cheek. perhaps i should add a disclaimer for more sensitive types? ;)

Fair enough :) and good luck with curing your addiction ;)

Fair points apart from the veiled allegation that he's a racist. He was full of praise for Chris o Grady and tried his hardest to get him signed. Accusing someone of racism is quite a serious charge these days and there's no evidence for it.

He may have his faults, but I think that the fact that his preferred hunting grounds (Scotland, Derby etc) aren't overflowing with non-white players may be more relevant.

He may have his faults, but I think that the fact that his preferred hunting grounds (Scotland, Derby etc) aren't overflowing with non-white players may be more relevant.

And the reason that Derby wasn't overflowing with non-White players was....?

And the reason that Derby wasn't overflowing with non-White players was....?

Because Afro-Carribeans constitute around five percent of the UK population.

And the reason "racist" Clough tried to sign Chris O Grady was.....?

I was just pointing out the flaw in that part of the argument.

I don't think he's a concious racist at all.

But about 25% of professional footballers.

I think most people are subconsciously prejudiced* in some way.

*not just referring to race here.

Totally agree, and I'll admit to it. Not skin colour, but if I hear certain accents I find it hard to see past the stereotype. Also, swallow tattoos on the neck and and knuckle tattoos make me think someone might have spent time in prison. Awful, I know, and I'm seeking counselling.

Fair points apart from the veiled allegation that he's a racist. He was full of praise for Chris o Grady and tried his hardest to get him signed. Accusing someone of racism is quite a serious charge these days and there's no evidence for it.

Racism is'nt just about black people?! Fuck's me off something chronic when racism is mentioned all that springs to people's minds is black!!!

Last edited:

He followed it up with:

Well that's.... Not surprising at all

He followed it up with:

Pot, kettle, grimy arse.

He followed it up with:

You had a good post there and you went and ruined the entire thing by making bold a ridiculous assumption he is racist.

So if theres not ay least 5 ethnically varied players in a team the managers a racist

when did that kick in

Clough has proven hes not size ist hes played several dwarves

Racism is'nt just about black people?! Fuck's me off something chronic when racism is mentioned all that springs to people's minds is black!!!

In football it is - there's very few Indian, Chinese or other non-white footballers

It was pointed out to Bert recently that it's OK to use the term dwarf but not midget, Bert had just used the "offending" word.

When did this all start?

Back
Top Bottom