JPT Selection Rules

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
(Fulwood Blade mentioned this in another thread.)

This comes from an interview a year old - and the JPT website is not up to date afaics - but presumably this is current:

Competition rules state that [teams] have to include

• at least six players who started the previous game [...] on their teamsheet
  • or at least six players out of 11 who have made the most starting appearances in league and cup matches this season.
"[O]n their teamsheet" presumably means they could be subs, if that's the correct wording; it doesn't say "in their starting line up".

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/l...ot-impressed-by-jpt-selection-rules-1-6341025

Do the JPT games count for players that are suspended?

The subs may have to have played though. Which is why weay have seen Alcock and higdon come on so late on in the game.

Didn't the pigs get round this by subbing their keeper within a minute of the game starting? Perhaps an idea we could use.

The subs may have to have played though. Which is why weay have seen Alcock and higdon come on so late on in the game.

OP specifically mentions the Starting XI*.

I'd interpret Alcock and Higdon as being eased back into first team football. It's a long season. I reckon Adkins knows that - even if some fans have us as champions already ;).

*No idea if this is right btw, I'm just quoting from the article.

Hasn't Edgar now flown out to Canada for international duty? Presumably the rest of the lads will also be joining up before the match?

How will this rule work if we've lost 4 players to international duty, 2 suspended and maybe a player or 2 with a knock?!?

Good point.

I was aware that there was a rule however it's not so straight forward.

I appreciate every club should respect the competition but we have a massive squad.
Even if we make 10 changes (like we did against Fulham) then we still have a good team (by league 1 standards).

Hasn't Edgar now flown out to Canada for international duty? Presumably the rest of the lads will also be joining up before the match?

How will this rule work if we've lost 4 players to international duty, 2 suspended and maybe a player or 2 with a knock?!?

Good question - and wouldn't it be nice to have a clear answer? Instead all I can find is this from the Football League

7.5 Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all matches. The Board will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes ‘full available strength’. Any Club failing to meet this requirement will be required to pay a fine of up to £5,000.

And this from Hartlepool (co-incidentally) in 2013:

Full Strength Team Policy
Each club must include in its starting line-up at least six of the eleven players who started the Club fixture immediately preceding or following the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie.

Alternatively, a Club must include in its starting line-up at least six of the eleven players who have made the most starting appearances in League and domestic cup competitions during the season so far.

There are also these two points:

Extra Time
There is no extra time in any round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy prior to the Final. If the scores remain level after ninety minutes in any game then the tie will immediately be settled by a penalty shootout.

Substitutes
The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy continues to make provision for only five substitutes to be named on the teamsheet.

Which is a long-winded way of saying: Who knows?

A £5K fine is sod all in the grand scheme of things. We should play the reserves and kids and have done with it. We simply cannot afford any injuries to key players and our fringe / recovering players need time on the pitch.

Long
Alcock McGahey Collins McFadzean
Flynn Dimaio K.Wallace Woolford
Higdon McNulty

Last edited:
Once again, good game management by Adkins.

Woolford came on to influence the team - Alcock and Higdon so they can start in midweek.

So, 4 other players then to make 6 in total.

Woolford, McE, Howard and 1 other, who should be subbed after 2 minutes.

We also do not have a game on Saturday which make it a bit better. We could if needed use it to give 3 1st team players a 15 minute spell at the end of the game.

In Nigel no 2, we really should start to trust.

UTB

Once again, good game management by Adkins.

Woolford came on to influence the team - Alcock and Higdon so they can start in midweek.

So, 4 other players then to make 6 in total.

Woolford, McE, Howard and 1 other, who should be subbed after 2 minutes.

We also do not have a game on Saturday which make it a bit better. We could if needed use it to give 3 1st team players a 15 minute spell at the end of the game.

In Nigel no 2, we really should start to trust.

UTB

Its only those who started...

"Full Strength Team Policy
Each club must include in its starting line-up at least six of the eleven players who started the Club fixture immediately preceding or following the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie"

So the subs have no influence at all apart from game time. However i do also think its either game prior to or post jpt game

Each club must include in its starting line-up at least six of the eleven players who started the Club fixture immediately preceding or following the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie.

how on earth can that be enforceable, what about any injuries during the JPT game or in training after the game and before the next?

I wonder what will happen at CM. Reed is away and Basham is our only fit CM and Dimaio played today. Maybe Cuvelier or Scougall will be fit enough, hope so.

I can't believe the sodding paint pot trophy has managed to get this rule introduced and really hope we have the balls to play the reserves and pay the £5K fine. We likely to win with a second team anyway. The whole thing about fining weakened teams in general is crap anyway as teams like Man C could play a weakened team all full of top internationals, it's just unfair on the lesser teams.

Play the same team as Saturday where we can. Keep our free scoring going, give our forwards confidence, and allow our defence to play together. Let some of the young players get experience but as sheffielder said above we don't play for over a week and it's not like it's December.

I would love to see us either withdraw from this competition, or field a team of U-18s. Let's treat it with the respect it deserves.

Looks like we dont give a fuck and are happy to take the fine:

Nigel Adkins, the Sheffield United manager, could find himself locked on a collision course with organisers of the Johnstone Paint Trophy as he contemplates breaking its rules governing team selection at Hartlepool tonight, writes James Shield.

Although Adkins has publicly refused to confirm whether United will adhere to legislation which requires six of those who started last weekend’s League One victory over Swindon Town to feature in their first choice eleven against Ronnie Moore’s side, privately The Star understands coaching staff have informed Bramall Lane’s hierarchy they are set to ignore the statute and deal with the consequences.

United requested clarification from the Football League whether David Edgar, Che Adams and Louis Reed - who all faced Swindon before reporting for international duty - count towards the quota but, as of last night, were apparently still awaiting a definitive response.

“We are very respectful of Hartlepool and the competition,” Adkins said. “It’s an opportunity whereby good players coming back from injury can play some proper, competitive football.

“We’ll do what’s right by Sheffield United. We’ll be going there to try and win the game and give some of those who need game-time good experience. The regulations are what they are and you’ve just got the get on with it.”

United climbed the second in the table after beating Swindon and Adkins said: “It’s an interesting one because the rules say we’ve got to keep six but three of those are going to be away. We are trying to clarify what effect that has.

“Hartlepool have done really well, Ronnie (Moore) did a great job of keeping them in the league last season and they’ve started this one well. But, if we can keep our momentum going, then it will be a fantastic thing for us. Like I say, we’ve got very good players available and we’ll do what’s best.”

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/shef...n-collision-course-with-jpt-chiefs-1-7436753?

It's a ridiculous rule really. If we could play our squad players we could go on a decent run but if they're going to start fining us every round the logical step is to play the kids and just go out. Take a single fine and have done with it.

Basham? Kennedy? Let's just risk our only decent CM and use someone whose knees allow one game every (insert long time here). Jesus.

I think those away on internationals are counted so we effectively have 5 players in who played last Saturday. One of the other 9 need to play in the next game to avoid£5K fine. If we do get fined though at least we know what the same owd same owd board have done with the Murphy money.

Yep,team news in and rule broken.

I think those away on internationals are counted so we effectively have 5 players in who played last Saturday. One of the other 9 need to play in the next game to avoid£5K fine. If we do get fined though at least we know what the same owd same owd board have done with the Murphy money.
thought it had to be 5 who started on saturday , so on that basis we don't and must be paying the fine. Don't know what we get from the sponsorship but I would think it could be worth considering not being in it at all.

thought it had to be 5 who started on saturday , so on that basis we don't and must be paying the fine. Don't know what we get from the sponsorship but I would think it could be worth considering not being in it at all.

Think its 6 who were in previous team, or made most appearances in season who were on team sheet for next game.

Think its 6 who were in previous team, or made most appearances in season who were on team sheet for next game.

so ruddy complicated, not sure anyone knows for sure, info on jpt site is so last year. Pay the fine, play who we want and win the fucker any way to show em what a farce it is ;)

Back
Top Bottom