Jose Baxter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jose's certainly had a few decent games. But he needs time on the ball to play to his strengths and he's not guaranteed that against the division's better teams.

Jose's certainly had a few decent games. But he needs time on the ball to play to his strengths and he's not guaranteed that against the division's better teams.

I know what you are saying, BUT are they the better teams or Cloggers inc. FWIW we are the better team

This is unfair. The likes of Gillingham are not cloggers. They are teams with pace and a good physical presence, which are qualities that United managers have largely ignored since about 2012.

The attributes of most teams in this league is physical strength and pace , not clogging , and tactical awareness when they play us . Also they do seem to play without any pressure , and a win against us is a bonus for them , whoever they are . Thats what we have to overcome , with consistant performances and as you say match other teams man for man . A good result last night , as any win is a good win, but we have to put the result into perspective , against a poor County side.

Will we get the same old , same old on saturday against Rochdale , who will be no walk over .

Opposition know our weaknesses and so do us fans.

UTB

Jose Baxter looks a good player when he doesn’t have to earn the right to play. That tends to happen against awful opposition who are sitting back, not really competing in midfield and not having any midfield runners giving him something to think about defensively. The other way it tends to happen is if we have 3 in midfield and the other 2 effectively do most of his work for him. Last night was probably a combination of those factors.

I think he’s looked good when we’ve played Blackpool, Donny, County and some said he was good Posh (although I think he improved when Wallace came on for Sharp freeing him up into a free role).
Whilst Baxter is the poster-boy for this conundrum, it kind of applies to our team throughout. We’re different from last season in that we can now hurt the teams that come just to park the bus. What we’re struggling to cope with is those teams that want to have a go at us (Vale and Colchester running us ragged). I’m not convinced Rochdale will let us have it our own way and I can see it being very tough again. But, we have the attacking threat to potentially outscore them now we have our pace back (JCR, Done and Adams- we’re far too slow when all 3 are out).

I’m looking forward to Saturday as I find us entertaining to watch again this season. I don’t expect us to play a similar team to last night’s. I think we’d get hammered without Bash in the midfield. Even with him, we struggle to cope with teams who have runners from there (like Colchester).

I think having Done back will help a little because he is one of the few that combines being a good player with being a real grafter. Brayford would also help in that regard but the news from the U21s game doesn’t look great for him.

This must be about the 5th or 6th Jose Baxter thread since I joined in April. Personally I'm looking forward to Sitwell's comments!

As I've said many times before, I like Jose, he's the only player in the squad who plays with his 'head up'. He also keeps things ticking over and, unlike many of our players recently, usually makes himself available to receive the ball.

There are a few negatives, he's not good at tackling and defending so can be perceived to be a 'luxury' player. For the same reasons, as is being implied already, he's a bit of a 'flat track bully'. As Pete Townshend said of Keith Moon, "He's the best Jose Baxter type player we've got".

This must be about the 5th or 6th Jose Baxter thread since I joined in April. Personally I'm looking forward to Sitwell's comments!

As I've said many times before, I like Jose, he's the only player in the squad who plays with his 'head up'. He also keeps things ticking over and, unlike many of our players recently, usually makes himself available to receive the ball.

There are a few negatives, he's not good at tackling and defending so can be perceived to be a 'luxury' player. For the same reasons, as is being implied already, he's a bit of a 'flat track bully'. As Pete Townshend said of Keith Moon, "He's the best Jose Baxter type player we've got".
Don't know what you want me to say ,he played well last night as I have already said ,but face it he had poor opposition last night and he doesn't do it often enough in the league. I prefer Coutts ,who gets his head up much more than Jose if you watch. He could play as part of a 4-3-3 as Ive said in another thread but his attitude has to be like last night all the time ,not when he feels like it.

Unfortunately we never know whether Baxter is going to have his game head on. If he doesn't, he is a liability in a 442

Play like he did (by all accounts) last night and we have a very good player on our hands. Play like he did at the weekend and he's as likely to cost us a goal as create one: his decision to blindly volley a throw-in across the edge of our penalty area straight to the Vale winger was one of the most bizarre pieces of play I've ever seen from a professional footballer.

Don't know what you want me to say ,he played well last night as I have already said ,but face it he had poor opposition last night and he doesn't do it often enough in the league. I prefer Coutts ,who gets his head up much more than Jose if you watch. He could play as part of a 4-3-3 as Ive said in another thread but his attitude has to be like last night all the time ,not when he feels like it.
Bring back Monty so Pinchy can gave a go;).

I can't remember who it was on here but they were spot on about Jose. What he needs is for us to have pace up front so that the opposition defence have to sit deeper. That will allow him all the time in the world on the ball and hence realise how dangerous he can be. Matt Done could be the answer

I can't remember who it was on here but they were spot on about Jose. What he needs is for us to have pace up front so that the opposition defence have to sit deeper. That will allow him all the time in the world on the ball and hence realise how dangerous he can be. Matt Done IS the answer
CORRECTED FOR YOU

I can't remember who it was on here but they were spot on about Jose. What he needs is for us to have pace up front so that the opposition defence have to sit deeper. That will allow him all the time in the world on the ball and hence realise how dangerous he can be. Matt Done could be the answer

I said something similar mate - about how Baxter needs movement off the ball to be a success. Often he gets the ball, nobody moves, so he passes it sideways (as he doesnt that often give the ball away to his credit). Leon Britton for example, looked a bad player as our movement off the ball was rubbish. When there has been movement (ball to Flynn against Donny, ball to Adams against Vale, ball to Sharp for the goal vs Bradford) he has been able to feed.

He isnt a defensive type player, and thats why you need Bash or others in there to do some of the dirty work - so he can play. And when he is able to play, he is a good, good player at this level. Thats why I think we should try something thats not out and out 4-4-2.

Play like he did (by all accounts) last night and we have a very good player on our hands. Play like he did at the weekend and he's as likely to cost us a goal as create one: his decision to blindly volley a throw-in across the edge of our penalty area straight to the Vale winger was one of the most bizarre pieces of play I've ever seen from a professional footballer.

So that really happened!? I thought someone had spiked my cup of tea.

So that really happened!? I thought someone had spiked my cup of tea.

Not at all mate ...... Baxter had a good game last night but as has already been commented, he had nobody snapping at his ankles or closing him down quickly as happens in 95% of L1 games.

We should not get carried away with last nights very positive result, although it was a very welcome distraction from the many very obvious unsolved issues in our first team squad.

JCR & Done will hopefully start on Saturday to give us some pace to worry Rochdale, as they both did well. Nobody else really staked a claim for a first team place.

Enjoyed the six goals though and the best referee I've seen at the lane since the 1970's !!!
UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom