Jose Baxter...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He added quality to what had been until then a poor game. Was he injured when he was taken off? If not, it was an astonishing decision when he was starting to dictate the game,

The finish for the goal showed his class. His technique is far and away the best in our team and he has the ability to be one of the best in the division. Long may his run in the team continue.

He almost scored another similar to the one that went in about five minutes afterwards, from a more difficult angle, that just went wide.

I was surprised when he went off and hope it was more precautionary than anything.

Talking to a toffee's fan last week and he was well respected at Goodison park.I was only saying to him that he doesn't score many goals but when he does - wallop!

He had a poor game at best until that goal and I was criticising him just moments before he hit that. Knownowt.

Baxter will and always will be an enigma. He can turn a game, but even with his bipolar-like performances, is he worth building a team around? His fitness/weight makes me question his ambition as a professional footballer, but his technique makes me admire his potential.

Whaddayadu?

He had a poor game at best until that goal and I was criticising him just moments before he hit that. Knownowt.

Baxter will and always will be an enigma. He can turn a game, but even with his bipolar-like performances, is he worth building a team around? His fitness/weight makes me question his ambition as a professional footballer, but his technique makes me admire his potential.

Whaddayadu?
Sounds like you've just described Glynn Hodges :)

Anyone got a link to the goal, missed it due to finishing a shit, cold, overpriced, fizzy Carlsberg if it's not finishing a drink, I'll miss a goal to taking a piss! Maybe I should stay on the concourse in future!

He seems to have a bit of the Glynn Hodges about him. I'd don't think we're ever going to get a full 90 minutes performance from Baxter but him, Murphy, Davies and Scougal at least have some class about them.

Anyone got a link to the goal, missed it due to finishing a shit, cold, overpriced, fizzy Carlsberg if it's not finishing a drink, I'll miss a goal to taking a piss! Maybe I should stay on the concourse in future!
Haven't got a link but seen it on Sky Sports News and it's a belter, looks even better on the telly than in real time. Almost worth sitting through an hour of the Football League Show for.

Haven't got a link but seen it on Sky Sports News and it's a belter, looks even better on the telly than in real time. Almost worth sitting through an hour of the Football League Show for.

The best thing about it was how the ball was coming from the awkward side for a right-footed hit. Most players just cannot attempt what he did today without spooning it upwards.

Baxter has class alright. It's his brain and belly I worry about.

Baxter is and always will be an enigma. He can turn a game,
Exactly how I feel about Baxter.

His goal today was sublime and he deserved another shortly afterwards.

However, he frequently gives the ball away. And not always when he's trying something ambitious. I think Cloughie's style is to encourage something different but not without putting a shift in or tolerating careless passing.

He's still young and if he can improve that part of his game, he could be a very good player.

He'll never be blessed with great pace but he has vision and I'd certainly persevere with him. It's probably the away games we need to think twice about starting him.

But today, let's applaud the best of Baxter, a great goal.

Great goal from Baxter today. For all the things he isn't very good at he usually influences the game either scoring or creating chances and this more than outweighs his weaknesses.

Whaddayadu?
The answer to your question is to obviously play him.

If it wasn't for Baxter,we would be sitting very anxiously in the relegation zone at this moment in time pure and simple,and this forum would be in meltdown,so for anyone else questioning what to do with our best technical player,don't bother.

Cracking goal it was he in his last year of his deal to.

The best thing about it was how the ball was coming from the awkward side for a right-footed hit. Most players just cannot attempt what he did today without spooning it upwards.

Baxter has class alright. It's his brain and belly I worry about.

Disagree JD - was exactly right for him to wrap his foot around it and place it into the top corner. Wrapping the foot around it puts the spin on it that controls the flight of the ball. Perfect execution of the shot by Baxter was more about him not trying to put too much pace on it.
That's where other players would have ballooned it into the kop.

Baxter is a classy player and his ability is streets ahead of most of our squad. His skill and execution was the difference between 1 point and 3 yesterday.

A quality goal by an enigmatic player.

It's also worth noting that Murphy only seems to play well when Baxter is in the team, due to the fact that Baxter gets the ball to him on the floor in the right areas. No doubt about it for me, Baxter as to start each game.

I just wish he was a stone lighter and a yard quicker, well maybe two yards quicker.

HH

PS - The same could be said for me. :rolleyes:

How people continue to think he's fat astonishes me. He'd had a poor game? Unbelievable. The vast majority of our fans can't spot quality and can only see obvious contributions. This is why many think Scougall is better than Baxter (he's far worse) because he's busy and runs about and is quick so fans notice it more despite the fact that in reality he's contributing less. Same applied last year where the majority saw Murphy as the better of our two wingers (both class, Flynn edged it last year) because of Murphy's pace he's more obviously good. Admittedly that's a weaker example than Baxter V Scougall.

As far as him giving the ball away I haven't seen it myself but if he does it's more often than not because of a lack of options or people not being turned on to the opportunitys and runs he is.

Baxter is a proper footballer, and the best player we have got by a mile at the minute. He has got a great football brain, is naturally talented and i think we need to build a team around him Jose Baxter rather than shoehorning him in to the side as a square peg in a round hole.

Frustrating is the best way to describe him ,he could do so much better ,and every time he does something good you almost here him say to himself 'what a player' :)

Regarding his weight ,I think its his natural body shape and attitude rather than a fitness or weight problem.
For the older ones ,look at him from a distance , he is a dead ringer for Alex Sabella with his pigeon chest and his frame.

There ya go mate,bit late,but well worth everyone watching it over and over,if this was a prem goal we'd be havin it shoved down our throats all weekend ! ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom