Jim Phipps

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Just put on social media that he will make an announcement after Sunday's game.

Very much looking forward to a few more announcements after Sunday's game.

But not so much this one: it's genuinely saddening. Whatever his faults, a really good man who took the club to his heart.

Sure he'll always have the warmest of welcomes at the Lane if he ever chooses to visit in future.

Announcing that there's going to be an announcement.

No disrespect to the man, but these sort of things from a professional football club employee/chairman/player should be forbidden from now on.

Facebook/Twitter... have their uses but not making announcements that make the club look ridiculous.

While he had to do a lot of spin as the spokesperson, he seemed like a genuinely good guy who didn't deserve any of the rubbish that got thrown his way on twitter. Hope he gets well soon!

Yeah, it's made us a laughing stock across the globe. What an embarrassment.

SUFC's impact on the "Globe" today, is about the same as an ants fart, and about as embarrassing

Let see what he has to say, guessing it aint gonna be owt to crow about ..................

I'm sure Jim's intentions were always good. Most of us who met him found him to be a personable, and I think honourable man. I thank him for his efforts and wish him good health and al, the best..

The social media experiment didn't really work, the down side of being abused by the 'keyboard warriors' was its ultimate undoing.

On a plus side, he can now totally empathise with about 18,000 other deluded idiots in knowing how much failure really hurts. Remember it's the hope that kills you in the end.

On social media? Surely he wouldnt be daft enough to grab the mike in the centre circle

hope he's oreyt, probably time to step down and give himself a break from the abuse etc.

Maybe Jim's going to be modelling the new home/away kits for next season?

A little later than usual in announcing them.

hopefully if we get stuffed he wont get roundly booed..........

As much as he has made some stupid comments over the couple of years ive liked him getting involved & trying his best to get a feel for the club.

anything to do with Elvis?

Does JP know something we don't?

#InTheGhetto

I wouldn't personally say the 'social media experiment' has failed.

It's as engaging as those that try/know how to use it appropriately. Easy to pick out the number of knuckle draggers we have who just send abuse after we've lost with the usual misspelt there/their comments!

It created debate and a certain openness. All well and good McCabe asking fans if it's appropriate for a Chairman to be so open from his own angle when he's out of touch with the social media phenomenon. The odd you tube vid begging for fans to buy notwithstanding.

But what was the alternative? Being told sod all most of the time? Fans forum to send bullshit your way and blame failure on luck when season ticket sales are in jeopardy.

I'm not 'blaming the fans' but if this was seen as failure it's because too many weren't sophisticated or mature enough to know how and when to use this direct portal to the co-Chairman.

Darragh McAnthony at Peterborough seems to be able to keep the chat going well but he probably tolerates or get exposed to less fans who take cheap shots than try to use constructively.

Jim was an honest guy. Never professed to be an expert where he wasn't and at least tried to engage. How many did claim to know more, rarely engaged and failed? Robinson, Birch, Winter all examples.

It's as engaging as those that try/know how to use it appropriately. Easy to pick out the number of knuckle draggers we have who just send abuse after we've lost with the usual misspelt there/their comments!

It created debate and a certain openness. All well and good McCabe asking fans if it's appropriate for a Chairman to be so open from his own angle when he's out of touch with the social media phenomenon. The odd you tube vid begging for fans to buy notwithstanding.

But what was the alternative? Being told sod all most of the time? Fans forum to send bullshit your way and blame failure on luck when season ticket sales are in jeopardy.

I'm not 'blaming the fans' but if this was seen as failure it's because too many weren't sophisticated or mature enough to know how and when to use this direct portal to the co-Chairman.

Darragh McAnthony at Peterborough seems to be able to keep the chat going well but he probably tolerates or get exposed to less fans who take cheap shots than try to use constructively.

Jim was an honest guy. Never professed to be an expert where he wasn't and at least tried to engage. How many did claim to know more, rarely engaged and failed? Robinson, Birch, Winter all examples.

For me it failed because he tried to step into an area that he knew nothing about (sheffield, football, sheffield united, sheffield united fans), the trolls were always going to be there when the footballing side fell apart, but he was also called out by many for trying to blag it a bit...

... oh and retweeting shit

Just so we are clear I wish the bloke, health, wealth and happiness.

However it failed because fans should remain fans and owners/chairman's should remain just that. Social media is not a place for direct communication with fans.

Add to this that the bloke was completely out of his depth in footballing terms plus his 'spin' became more and more obvious to all its no wonder it failed.

For example I'm blocked for telling him that i was unfollowing him because the arguments between him and the fans were getting embarrassing (which they were)

I don't miss him one bit, I was fed up of threads with 'Jim Phipps this' and 'Jim Phipps that'

PS: without those 'knuckle draggers' you refer to, the crowd at the lane would be considerably less. Don't confuse people who really care but who struggle to control their emotions with 'knuckle draggers' ... They are after all fellow fans.

Back
Top Bottom