Jim Phipps on Tickets/Preseason (from Facebook).

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

D

Deleted member 1486

I wouldn't normally post stuff like this, but the Facebook conversations (between Jim and others, I'm just a lurker) turned into a bit of a mini Q&A and I know many don't have Facebook (and being on Facebook this is already open for anyone to see, so I hope I'm not breaking any confidences here).

I've paraphrased the questions and have deliberately not named any questioners. Jim's answers are verbatim.

JP: "Preseason has been ace so far. Love the positivity we are seeing in all things United, both on and off the pitch. Coming away from matches four goals up is something I could get used to. What I really like is seeing people we thought had more really bring it. I am really hoping we can attract (back) to the club new (and former) ST holders, who haven't purchased so far, but want to join us in this season's promotion campaign. The better atmosphere we create at the Lane the better our chances. Can ‪#‎FortressBramallLane‬ be restored this season? I think it can. All the signs are there"

Q: How's season ticket sales gone compared to last season?

"Numbers wise, we are close to last year; money-wise, nearly even. It's the numbers that matter though. What we are trying to create is the most conducive environment possible in which to stage a serious promotion push. The home atmosphere is key to this. We already know we have the league's best away following. We also have its best home following. Now we need to turn it up at the Lane. I think the positive style of play will help and the emphasis on putting balls in the back of the onion bag will create excitement. We want visiting clubs though to feel the heat when they come to our house. Last year we kind of laid out the welcome mat, mainly perhaps because we seemed too often to be playing for a point. This year we need to be more electric, more switched on, more intimidatingly loud. My best day at the Lane so far (I know I am still very new) was season before last Charlton at home in the FA Cup quarter finals. I know what kind of atmosphere we can deliver. If we are more like that more of the time, our home form will get the 12th man advantage every time. UTMB!"

Q: too negative/too many changes last season?

Best not to answer. Let's look forward. One day, I will talk openly about it, but not now when the future beckons and requires 100% of our attention

Q: Why not fill empty seats with free tickets to schools?

I hate seeing those empty seats, not only commercially, but for the reasons you suggest. We do give thousands of tickets away each year to schools, etc., through the Sheffield United Community Foundation. We are under some constraints FL rules-wise about the deals that we offer and how frequently during the year we can offer them. I think there is almost certainly a better way to do season tickets and match day ticketing than the way we currently do these things, one that is simpler, more straightforward and on average cheaper for the fan, but more apt to sell the stadium out, producing more atmosphere and more revenue. If we did it right, we would never be discounting in a way that offended ST holders. While I think I can see this clearly, I won't be imposing change on the organisation by fiat, but rather will continue working to persuade and to do things in a well thought out, consensual and sustainable fashion. We will go along changing things as we go and, hopefully, learning. Of course, the fastest way to sell the empty seats is to start winning games on a highly regular basis, both home and away. For this year, we will do the handful of permissible one offs, continue helping community organisations and schools through the foundation and make winning matches in an entertaining way the core of our plan to fill the empty seats.

Q: Any plans on live match streaming or Blades TV?

I think we will get there, though not straight away. The new TV/media deals might give us more latitude I am led to believe.

Q: 442 please?

Think we will see more 442 and 433 this year than anything else, but the ability to change up constantly is great and being well organised going into matches will help a lot, too.

Has Jim earned a Clough "ding" here?

Good to hear that the board are thinking of changing in a way to benefit the fans, like he said a rocking Bramall Lane really does help the players. As for ther live streaming, that'd be brilliant for many exiles, let's hope that's on it's way soon! Interesting to hear that we haven't quite sold as many season tickers as before though. Hopefully our first few home games will change that!

I work with someone who is also a part-time steward at the Lane and I was talking about the absolute clusterfuck on Sunday where there was a queue a mile long for walk up tickets.

My view is that now with the current ticketing system in place, it is not flexible enough for walk up fans, people who decide to go at the last minute, what we need is a couple of turnstiles in each turnstile block with the facilities to offer tickets on the gates, or outlets around the ground that can sell pre-printed tickets which makes it easier for the walk up supporter.

On Sunday I went last minute, usually do all my tickets for cup games in advance, and also hold a season ticket so it is not applicable to me, but if I had been a walk up supporter who goes a couple of times a season, or someone who had decided to go to a football match, I would have been dissuaded from making a return visit

Live streaming! Awesome - won't have to buy a ST lol

Only kidding !

Might make a retirement location easier to choose though ;)

I work with someone who is also a part-time steward at the Lane and I was talking about the absolute clusterfuck on Sunday where there was a queue a mile long for walk up tickets.

My view is that now with the current ticketing system in place, it is not flexible enough for walk up fans, people who decide to go at the last minute, what we need is a couple of turnstiles in each turnstile block with the facilities to offer tickets on the gates, or outlets around the ground that can sell pre-printed tickets which makes it easier for the walk up supporter.

On Sunday I went last minute, usually do all my tickets for cup games in advance, and also hold a season ticket so it is not applicable to me, but if I had been a walk up supporter who goes a couple of times a season, or someone who had decided to go to a football match, I would have been dissuaded from making a return visit

I'd agree with that - I was lucky that when I went for the first time in January (it was an impulse decision made several days earlier but I couldn't buy online due to new registrations being suspended because of the semi-final ticket sale) I arrived early due to wanting to listen to the lunchtime PL kickoff on my phone (signal is non-existent on the train) so there wasn't a queue and the (lovely) person serving me taking my details didn't hold anyone up... I get them wanting everyone registered for the system and people needing to be on there for points but it is one of the issues with walk up first timers and the current system if there is a queue...

I do remember when, I think at the Bradford game, I had to go into the ticket office because my ticket for the Chesterfield game had got lost in the post and I was most comfortable dealing with it in person, there was a line quite a bit longer and it wasn't that close to kick off, so yeah, some form of ticket purchase elsewhere for people who are prepared to forego the loyalty points would be a good idea...

As was said, you don't even need every turnstile selling tickets, just have a few and make sure the stewards know where they are... I went to the sty a few years ago (was in the city for a few days, randomly fancied a football match) and while I had to ask a few stewards to get to the right turnstile, once I found it, I got a ticket no problem... we really could do making that an option as has been said, people do decide to go to matches on impulse and it shouldn't be too difficult to change things to at least reduce the queues

So to summarise
jim takes 19 bazillion words to say fuck all on facebook

Jim is a legend. Few people on there saying they can't afford to go, and he's basically said he'll have them over one day as his guest. We've had a constant stream of wankers at our club who have only been interested in lining their own pocket, he can take a few more bazillion words to say fuck all as long he continues doing right by the club as far as I'm concerned!

I'd forgot the game was on but was in town so i popped down to the Lane to buy the shirt. Seeing people going to the ground put the thought in my head to attend the match, instead of getting on a train back to London,.That thought evaporated rapidly once i saw the queue which at 1:30pm was well out of the car park and not moving particularly fast.

It was frankly embarrassing.

I saw the post on fb and been thinking about it; this is a really important conversation for the club. I get the sense that this season really could be entertaining and has the potential to draw in new fans and old.

A few random thoughts:

First Timers
  • From memory buying your first ticket is difficult. As we know the phone can ring expensively forever - I know the cost is being addressed. ,
  • If you try to buy online you have to join - don't you?
  • If it's your first game you have to really persist. I think this will put many potential fans off.
  • Interesting bit of Market Research would be to get a few people to try to but their first ticket and see what they made of their experience.
This is really important to get right, otherwise potential lifelong fans could be put off.

Kids
  • Children are the future.Obviously. Kids for a quid, free tickets through the Community work - these sorts of idea are a good start, but are they followed up, or does the club just hope that one taste of the game and they'll want more?
  • How about 3 tickets for a tenner - or something that helps parents establish a routine, and then a follow up with details of a mini season ticket.
  • How about a Saturdays only season ticket for younger kids?
  • Hundreds/Thousands of kids play junior football locally - it's the biggest junior league in the country I think - can the club connect with the kids through the League? I've coached for three years off and on and had very little contact from any local club. We did get England tickets for a junior game at Rotherham and quite a few went.
  • More generally, often the Community work will be through schools, is there any way of connecting with the Junior Sunday League teams?
  • Could players go to Junior Sunday League games?
  • Could players visit training?
  • Run a coaching session?
  • Promote the team on fb, Twitter, IRL (In Real Life!) wherever. Even if this has no direct effect - most of my friends kids are not yet interested - it might feed into a conversation about what to do this Saturday: might mate says the football's good and there's a child friendly atmosphere at BDTBL then they might come along.
Students
  • Went down to get Gillingham tickets today and it looked like three Chinese students were buying tickets - not sure for what though. Anyway, students are a big potential market.
  • How does Freshers week work - it's a few decades since I went to one. Are there literally stalls? The club should have some presence.
  • But not just for new students, second and third years might want to come too.
  • The club already has links with Hallam University after the pre-season, promote the club to the students there, and at Sheffield University. We are right in the middle of the student area. Not sure of the details but this must be possible. Plenty of exiled fans from all over the country, all over the world, will be wanting a game to watch I'd imagine.
Miscellaneous

• If the season does start well, and attracts interest, then how about a 75% Season Ticket? How about a 75% Season Ticket anyway?
  • As fans we can also promote the club. I'm genuinely enthusiastic about the managers, players, and board we've got at the moment. As above promote the team on fb, Twitter, IRL (In Real Life!) wherever.

For gigs, train tickets etc you can not only buy, but print your ticket from home. If that can't be managed, how about a ticket distribution point in town? It needn't be manned, it could just be a machine line they have at Midland Station where you pick up tickets by entering your credit card after buying them online.

For gigs, train tickets etc you can not only buy, but print your ticket from home. If that can't be managed, how about a ticket distribution point in town? It needn't be manned, it could just be a machine line they have at Midland Station where you pick up tickets by entering your credit card after buying them online.

That is a good idea - I did that when I went to a rugby match when I was in Glasgow for a couple of days earlier in the year - really useful for late purchases, but don't make it mandatory though

I went on Sunday at the very last minute. As it was shit weather I asked the daughter (4) if she wanted to go to the match. We got down at 11:30 to get tickets before going home to get changed etc. The queue was back to the superstore so I thought, by the time we get back this queue will have gone...Wrong.
The queue was now on to Shoreham Street.

Luckily I had a brainwave. Purchase online through my phone and go to the collection point. It worked fine and i got in just as Newcastle hit the bar. The queue was still on to Shoreham Street.

I saw the post on fb and been thinking about it; this is a really important conversation for the club. I get the sense that this season really could be entertaining and has the potential to draw in new fans and old.

A few random thoughts:

First Timers
  • From memory buying your first ticket is difficult. As we know the phone can ring expensively forever - I know the cost is being addressed. ,
  • If you try to buy online you have to join - don't you?
  • If it's your first game you have to really persist. I think this will put many potential fans off.
  • Interesting bit of Market Research would be to get a few people to try to but their first ticket and see what they made of their experience.
This is really important to get right, otherwise potential lifelong fans could be put off.

Kids
  • Children are the future.Obviously. Kids for a quid, free tickets through the Community work - these sorts of idea are a good start, but are they followed up, or does the club just hope that one taste of the game and they'll want more?
  • How about 3 tickets for a tenner - or something that helps parents establish a routine, and then a follow up with details of a mini season ticket.
  • How about a Saturdays only season ticket for younger kids?
  • Hundreds/Thousands of kids play junior football locally - it's the biggest junior league in the country I think - can the club connect with the kids through the League? I've coached for three years off and on and had very little contact from any local club. We did get England tickets for a junior game at Rotherham and quite a few went.
  • More generally, often the Community work will be through schools, is there any way of connecting with the Junior Sunday League teams?
  • Could players go to Junior Sunday League games?
  • Could players visit training?
  • Run a coaching session?
  • Promote the team on fb, Twitter, IRL (In Real Life!) wherever. Even if this has no direct effect - most of my friends kids are not yet interested - it might feed into a conversation about what to do this Saturday: might mate says the football's good and there's a child friendly atmosphere at BDTBL then they might come along.
Students
  • Went down to get Gillingham tickets today and it looked like three Chinese students were buying tickets - not sure for what though. Anyway, students are a big potential market.
  • How does Freshers week work - it's a few decades since I went to one. Are there literally stalls? The club should have some presence.
  • But not just for new students, second and third years might want to come too.
  • The club already has links with Hallam University after the pre-season, promote the club to the students there, and at Sheffield University. We are right in the middle of the student area. Not sure of the details but this must be possible. Plenty of exiled fans from all over the country, all over the world, will be wanting a game to watch I'd imagine.
Miscellaneous

• If the season does start well, and attracts interest, then how about a 75% Season Ticket? How about a 75% Season Ticket anyway?
  • As fans we can also promote the club. I'm genuinely enthusiastic about the managers, players, and board we've got at the moment. As above promote the team on fb, Twitter, IRL (In Real Life!) wherever.

I know the Saturday-only ST was an idea for kids but a weekend-only ST would be so good for me and lots of other adults who can't do evening games (in my case a combination of distance - not that far relatively but enough to be a problem for evenings - and transport issues due to not driving)... Also holiday fixtures can be problematic for some people due to similar reasons - being able to get a weekend ST and then add any other games that you can get to would be useful...

I have bought an ST but financially it will probably just about break even with Matchday tickets for me - it was more about convenience, but I would love there to be an option for weekend games only, and I suspect a lot of people faced with the same circumstances would choose to just get matchday tickets

As for getting a first ticket - exactly, it's not easy, and in some cases, like with me, if it's a time ahead of a major game, there's a block on new customer registrations online - another thing which would put some people off - understandable but it can have negative effects too

Think there could maybe be problems at the turnstiles with self printed paper ones as opposed to thin card, they'd have to be cut to the right width and not wrinkled. But if it worked it would be great - a lot better than having them posted (and the hassle if they don't arrive) and a saving for the club too, which they could pass on to us :)

"I think there is almost certainly a better way to do season tickets and match day ticketing than the way we currently do these things, one that is simpler, more straightforward and on average cheaper for the fan, but more apt to sell the stadium out, producing more atmosphere and more revenue. If we did it right, we would never be discounting in a way that offended ST holders. While I think I can see this clearly, I won't be imposing change on the organisation by fiat, but rather will continue working to persuade and to do things in a well thought out, consensual and sustainable fashion. We will go along changing things as we go and, hopefully, learning."

Would love to know what Jim's ideas are here about easier ways to do season tickets & match day ticketing?

Btw, those few sentences sum up just a couple of the many ways that Jim's proving such an amazing asset to this club. It's not just the thinking & the ideas, it's the sensitivity to traditions & the commitment to teamwork too. And that's before you even get started on his keenness to interact. Or the fact that a Yank is talking about "putting the ball in the onion bag"! :D

Ledg.

Hibernian do this

So do the NY Red bulls, for what it's worth. They have a barcode scanner at the turnstile.

So do the NY Red bulls, for what it's worth. They have a barcode scanner at the turnstile.

I'd say plenty of North American teams across most sports do - some have been doing this for years. Fenway Park has had print-at-home tickets since 2005 at least for example.

And that's before you even get started on his keenness to interact. Or the fact that a Yank is talking about "putting the ball in the onion bag"! :D

Ledg.

He's fecking lifted that from me off 'ere, the plegiarising toe rag :)

In fact his whole bloody response about positive football and the way it should be played is a rip off of some of my posts. I demand royalties. I'm not his bloody copy writer :mad:

Aprart from the use of "onion bag" bag it's pretty good and sensible. Jim can sometimes go overboard in some of his comments but comes over as sensible and positive on this occasion

Very impressive stuff from a great guy. We are very lucky to have him. Only extreme cynics, attention seekers and pigs will disagree

....and those who don't like being told what they are 'supposed to think'.

Back
Top Bottom