Jim ear marks £13m investment for when we finally go up.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
Just watched the interview with jim regarding finances and investment. He speaks of the £5m league one plan but then interesting to hear him talk to what the club feel the level of investment should be when we finally get promoted to the Championship. He speaks of £12m to £13m of investment that would become available and be injected into the quickly pushing on to the next level.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on what he meant by this? Does he mean that this is the level of investment that will go into new players? Players and wages combined? Operating costs, players and wages?

I'd say it would be a mix of all of those. We wouldn't need that much with the squad we have there to build from, a bit of experience and flair at that level and we'd be a match for most. There isn't much difference between the leagues and with momentum anything is possible, plenty of teams have come from lg1 and gone up. It's encouraging to hear it's there though and that we have a sensible plan for the long term

On gaining promotion there is a minimum amount you need to spend as you ascend the divisions, wolves were the blueprint for how you exit this league, dunno the figures but they bought well enough to go up and consolidate, to push on into the prem though they'll need to spend another 10 - 15 million on players to guarantee the same outcome, getting up, and consolidation, the next step to finish mid table, would need another 10+ million, the quality is that high up there, you can wing it for a season, but, it takes money to stay up, and more to push on..

If we are going into the championship and talking of 13 million on players, then for our squad 13 million in additions should ensure we don't slip back out any time soon, with the right buys, we could slip into the playoffs, who knows, if phipps is talking realistic here, I agree with his numbers, and at the moment we shouldn't doubt him because they've pretty much kept their word regarding investment in players..

Wolves were not the blueprint, as they had millions of pounds in parachute payments to support them.

Just watched the interview with jim regarding finances and investment. He speaks of the £5m league one plan but then interesting to hear him talk to what the club feel the level of investment should be when we finally get promoted to the Championship. He speaks of £12m to £13m of investment that would become available and be injected into the quickly pushing on to the next level.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas on what he meant by this? Does he mean that this is the level of investment that will go into new players? Players and wages combined? Operating costs, players and wages?

Call me stupid, but why not invest that money now on 2nd tier level players and thus ensure we get out of this godforsaken division?

Call me stupid, but why not invest that money now on 2nd tier level players and thus ensure we get out of this godforsaken division?
The only thing I got from the interview I saw is he was saying without the investment (8m )we wouldn't have been able to spend the Maguire money

So if they are talking of 12m next year it's probably to keep the club afloat on higher wages etc

I've been asking the same thing since the takeover. It's easier to say you'll invest when event X happens, rather than you'll invest anyway.

Jam tomorrow (with the caveat that the Brayford deal seems to be a genuinely ambitious one)

Call it a test of Clough's abilities. If he can only get us out of this division with the application of 13m pounds of investment, then he's the wrong man for the job.

Remember, investing a shitload of cash into a shit manager is what led to us being down here in the first place.

Despite the parachute payments, Wolves lost £30m+ in 2013.

Well without them they would have lost even more then. They were financially flush enough to buy Macdonald and 9 other players for a fee. They only player we paid anything for in our first season in this league was Flynn.

Wolves were not the blueprint, as they had millions of pounds in parachute payments to support them.

They spent on the team, went up at a canter and have consolidated, aren't theyre three points off the playoffs?

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna copy them idiots....

seems like he felt the need to speak out after the owls takeover. or iam just being cynical. either way, its good that he keeps us in the loop with masterplan

Well without them they would have lost even more then. They were financially flush enough to buy Macdonald and 9 other players for a fee. They only player we paid anything for in our first season in this league was Flynn.

Yes, they had to spend enormous amounts of cash over and above the parachute payments (wage bill was over £30m) and I wouldn't see such a huge gamble as being a blueprint we should follow.

They spent on the team, went up at a canter and have consolidated, aren't theyre three points off the playoffs?

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna copy them idiots....
Shouldn't we take a detour to the money tree on the way though?

UTB

Back
Top Bottom