JCR talking tactics and wingers in the modern game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tray

Hopeless optimist
Reaction score
Interesting interview in the Stir.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/shef...ur-to-come-from-wingers-warns-jamal-1-7431278

Here's the bit I focussed on:

Although every winger in United’s squad barring Woolford was signed by Nigel Clough, Campbell-Ryce believes the 50-year-old’s emphasis on creative football will suit them better than his predecessor’s more pragmatic approach.

“If you look at last season, we played in a 4-3-3 with one striker up through the middle. That’s difficult because, from our perspective, you are having to run here, there and everywhere while it’s also difficult for whoever’s up top because they have to run all day and hold up the ball.

“Now, with two centre-forwards in the team, it’s a dream to know that we don’t have to pick it up so deep and then travel 40 or 50 yards with the ball. We can do the things we were brought here to do in the first place, use our energy where we are meant to be expending it rather than in the first or the middle third of the pitch.”

He's obviously a lot happier in a 4-4-2 and I wonder if that was part of the reason he was frozen out by big Nige?

Ryan Flynn was signed by Danny Wilson, not Nigel Clough.
'Every winger' makes it sounds like we have half a dozen. I think Clough signed two. JCR and Adams.
Actually, the more I think about it the more I realise pretty much the entire article is nonsense.

You could argue Done was a winger signed by Clough though that wasn't his intended purpose. You could also argue Scougall, A clough signing has been played on the wing.

Conversely, you could argue that McFadzean was another winger not signed by Clough. I read James Shields' articles because they're about my team but he does write some crap.

Couple of things from that article:

1. “The manager always tells us we are like self-made businessmen ...

2. “My mum ... still gets at me now, I’m 32 and she still phones me to tell me this and that.”

What's going on?

Couple of things from that article:

1. “The manager always tells us we are like self-made businessmen ...

2. “My mum ... still gets at me now, I’m 32 and she still phones me to tell me this and that.”

What's going on?
1. I was told something similar by my own boss. See yourself as your own business and make sure everything you do to benefit the business also benefits you. ie take full responsibility for everything you do, live right and work hard.
2. She probably phones him and says 'Jamal, you still need to work in your crossing, how many times do you need to be told?'

1. I was told something similar by my own boss. See yourself as your own business and make sure everything you do to benefit the business also benefits you. ie take full responsibility for everything you do, live right and work hard.
2. She probably phones him and says 'Jamal, you still need to work in your crossing, how many times do you need to be told?'

Sort of see what you're saying about (1.). It's an interesting approach & a logical one too, I suppose, thinking about the financial management players have necessarily to do these days & also thinking about the need for them to manage their careers/futures (quite apart from its relevance on the playing side).

I do find Nigel's psychological & motivational approach very interesting, from the bits & pieces you can pick up about it. I saw from twatter that he invited a counsellor, Andrew Jordan, to talk to the players recently.

http://www.nationalcounsellingsocie...-team-to-help-footballers-with-mental-health/

One snippet I noticed for the first time in print " Murphy transformed himself into a £1.7m footballer". May have missed it elsewhere. Good money, just.

As for playing more attacking wingers, I reckon that's great but not at the expense of the two central midfielders not getting upfield in support. Obviously players have to cover each other when their team-mates push on but threats have to be delivered from more angles than just down the wing. Playing two up front is aggressive and ambitious these days but to complement it there surely has to be a fluidity about the midfield and also the full backs should push on when the wingers are joining attacks. Against Blackpool we didn't get enough men in the final third nor were the full backs active enough against a poor side.

Woolford doesn't look like a box to box player to me these days so when he is on the pitch maybe the central pairing might be more adventurous. When Ryce and Adams are the wingers I suppose they can't be relied upon to get back quickly. It's all a juggling act and these reasons were why Adkins made two early and slightly surprising substitutions v Blackpool. I hate like-for-like and late substitutions so it was refreshing for me and the plan worked.

Back
Top Bottom