January Signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Superbladesman7

Reaction score
With this quality run we are on and the team looking in great shape, I feel as if January is an even more important month than if we were struggling somewhat. If we are in top 2 or comfortably top 6 we could potentially attract that vital bit of extra quality to see us over the line whilst other teams falter and struggle with smaller squads etc.
Also for some reason, I feel like it could come back to haunt me but I do sense that it could finally be the year when we don't sell our best assets but do actually strengthen. Plus a lot of our top performers are recent signings or people like Billy who would never go.
So, if we were to make 2 or 3 key signings what would you want?

For me I think I'd have another tough or goal scoring central midfielder in case the unthinkable of fleck or couttsy getting injured happens.

I'd also like a pacey attacking winger, I know we don't play a system to suit this at the moment, but other than Chapman we don't have any of these in the side and our system may yet change throughout the season. Have been thinking for a bit now if Duffy had more pace he'd be incredible!

Not sure on any specific names at this stage..

Thoughts?

GK - experienced back up to Moore

Right Wing Back - Cover/improvement
Left Wing Back - Lafferty permanent/improvement

Centre Mid - improvement/cover for Basham

Cover for Duffy - he seems to be the only one capable of playing 'in the hole' behind the strikers.

Unless they are definitely better than the 1st team, or strengthens the bench. Then it's leave well enough alone for me.
We've got a good team spirit at the moment, something we've not had for a while, and we don't want to jeopardise that. But if CW thinks otherwise, it's fine by me.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We've got strikers on the bench who other sides would be more than happy to have (injured or not) and subs with a point to prove (Chapman, Scougall, academy lads waiting patiently for a chance). Our squad depth and team spirit is great at the moment.

I'll go along with whatever Wilder sees fit to alter, but it's not like last year where we were crying out for quality all over the shop.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I reckon if Moore was to get injured we may well see a much-changed George Long. If he was to make his way back into the first team, it really would be make or break for him as he'd have a shitload to prove, and if he didn't take the chance with both hands (*insert flapping joke here*) his stock will sink spectacularly low.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We've got strikers on the bench who other sides would be more than happy to have (injured or not) and subs with a point to prove (Chapman, Scougall, academy lads waiting patiently for a chance). Our squad depth and team spirit is great at the moment.

I'll go along with whatever Wilder sees fit to alter, but it's not like last year where we were crying out for quality all over the shop.

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I reckon if Moore was to get injured we may well see a much-changed George Long. If he was to make his way back into the first team, it really would be make or break for him as he'd have a shitload to prove, and if he didn't take the chance with both hands (*insert flapping joke here*) his stock will sink spectacularly low.
I agree entirely Long in the last couple of seasons hasn't played behind the best of defences (not making excuses for him). So if he did need to come into the side he would hopefully be much improved playing in team which overall is much higher on confidence. Or like you say may flop and that would certainly be the end for him. Lafferty is okay from what I've seen but I certainly wouldn't break the bank to sign him permanently. EEL on the other hand....

EEL on the other hand....

It'll be very interesting to see what happens with him. My heart says 'sign up up', head says 'wait until the end of the season'. IF we go up, will he be good enough for the Championship? Wolves fans certainly didn't think so and, although he's been great so far, I'm not so sure myself.

Still 23 so at a good age and definitely room for improvement. Time will tell.

Good question, a lot of this depends on injuries really, but I would say:

A right back as cover to Freeman
And a right sided wide man/winger

I'd like defensive cover, the balance we currently have works well so who it might be is a crucial choice, certainly someone commanding with presence who could cover at fullback or centrally. I will add, defence is a secondary so as money's always in short supply at t'Lane it's best directed to other areas of the pitch. As has been mentioned, if a deal can be struck for EEL then waste no time in securing his services. A gamble worth taking? If he's snatched up by a competitor we'll have shown negligence on a scale that's unforgivable.

A midfield enforcer, to put not too fine a point on it. We have decent creativity in this part of the line-up, but apart from Fleck's willingness to put his foot in when he has to, we lack, and I include Basham in this respect (a jack of most trades but a master of none), someone with good awareness who'll break-up the opposition's threat. Whether CW would see this as an essential addition we'll soon discover, but I think the creative element would benefit from this.

Up-front? Unless someone suitably gifted was available I'd probably leave well alone. Even with an apparent promotion push seeming increasingly likely, I can't see the board dipping their hands too deep into their pockets, which is both shameful and indicative of how this club is run.

It largely depends on who's available and currently on our radar. I'd like to think that if we identify a target that would improve the first team that we're better equipped to secure them than most of our rivals. If we're up in the top two spots, where we want to be, we might have to accept that the quality of player we'd be looking at may not even be available at the right price.

Fans, me included, love to see a quality transfer, but I'd hate to see us do a Clough and make a bunch of poor ones for no reason.

I know we have Wilson as defensive backup, but maybe another big defender?

I think that making sure (as Chris has done already) that we keep all positions covered. Last year was a joke with players being moved all over the place.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens with him. My heart says 'sign up up', head says 'wait until the end of the season'. IF we go up, will he be good enough for the Championship? Wolves fans certainly didn't think so and, although he's been great so far, I'm not so sure myself.

Still 23 so at a good age and definitely room for improvement. Time will tell.

I'd say he would be good enough - from what I've seen of him so far he's better than Baptiste, who also did a good job for us and is plying his trade now in the championship. It's a season long loan anyway so we're covered but my heart also says sign him.

There isn't much wrong with what we've got.
There are a couple of areas where we could be considered weak, however, I'd be surprised if we could find suitable players:

GK - what decent keeper wants to sit on the bench in L1?

RB - could do with cover or better than Freeman but we'll do well to get anyone better. I think Wilson can play there too.

Creative Midfielder - Coutts is currently first choice. Can't see too many wanting to sit on the bench. May change if Coutts decides to turn down a new contract with us.

Attacking Midfielder - could definitely do with cover for Duffy as Scougs hasn't totally convinced me yet. Probably depends on whether Scougall has a run and steps up or if Brooks can show he's good enough before the JTW.

What I don't want us to do is commit more money than we can afford on another gamble to get us up, that will leave CW short of funds next season if we don't get promoted. If the board are prepared to cover the wages of the extra players for the period we sign them for, great, if not, don't bother.

Don't know how much value is out there in January and to be honest I don't think we have massive gaps is the squad anymore.

We've still got lavery and Clark to play some part too. maybe look to make on key signing

I would take signing Freeman and Coutts down to longer term contracts and hopefully concluding a deal for EEL (and hope he doesn't pull a brayford and his form drops off once signed up)

There isn't much wrong with what we've got.
There are a couple of areas where we could be considered weak, however, I'd be surprised if we could find suitable players:

GK - what decent keeper wants to sit on the bench in L1?

RB - could do with cover or better than Freeman but we'll do well to get anyone better. I think Wilson can play there too.

Creative Midfielder - Coutts is currently first choice. Can't see too many wanting to sit on the bench. May change if Coutts decides to turn down a new contract with us.

Attacking Midfielder - could definitely do with cover for Duffy as Scougs hasn't totally convinced me yet. Probably depends on whether Scougall has a run and steps up or if Brooks can show he's good enough before the JTW.

What I don't want us to do is commit more money than we can afford on another gamble to get us up, that will leave CW short of funds next season if we don't get promoted. If the board are prepared to cover the wages of the extra players for the period we sign them for, great, if not, don't bother.

It's a real conundrum the January transfer window . Shit or bust in other words .

Do we want cover in the positions mentioned ? Or do we want quality replacements ?

Cover means we will be signing good league 1 players with real question marks about their ability in the championship IF we are promoted . If we are promoted these players may well prove surplus to requirements and a costly drain on the budget .

Quality replacements mean we are making the signings based upon the fact that these replacements will be better than we already have and will also be good enough IF we are promoted . Of course if we are promoted then all well and good but if we aren't plying our trade in the league above next season is that the budget screwed again ?

January is going to tell us an awful lot about the board and managements view of what Division we are playing on next season . Or maybe the signings , if any , will be made with the stated aim of promotion at all costs and sort the wheat from the chaff in the summer ????

Would it also be fair to say that no matter what option we employ in the JTW the board will get some shit thrown their way :eek:

Last edited:
GK - a bit more of an experienced type for back-up.
CM - as competition, cover or for if Coutts decides to revert back to his usual form pre-this season.

GK - a bit more of an experienced type for back-up.
CM - as competition, cover or for if Coutts decides to revert back to his usual form pre-this season.

Ambition ?

My arse :D

It's a real conundrum the January transfer window . Shit or bust in other words .

Do we want cover in the positions mentioned ? Or do we want quality replacements ?

Cover means we will be signing good league 1 players with real question marks about their ability in the championship IF we are promoted . If we are promoted these players may well prove surplus to requirements and a costly drain on the budget .

Quality replacements mean we are making the signings based upon the fact that these replacements will be better than we already have and will also be good enough IF we are promoted . Of course if we are promoted then all well and good but if we aren't plying our trade in the league above next season is that the budget screwed again ?

January is going to tell us an awful lot about the board and managements view of what Division we are playing on next season . Or maybe the signings , if any , will be made with the stated aim of promotion at all costs and sort the wheat from the chaff in the summer ????

Interesting points raised in your post luke. Thing is, given the possibility of injuries/loss of form, wise investment could be the difference between achieving promotion and remaining in this division. I'm not suggesting that we spend for the sake of spending. Given Wilder's choices so far, in the main he's chosen well. Buying Fleck looks like one of the best purchases we've had for several seasons, similar comments about Duffy, O'Connell, EEL, and Moore, and as for the upturn in form for Coutts and Freeman, well, says a lot about our management duo. As for Wright's influence, nothing short of brilliant......which brings me back to who we might sign, if the opportunity is there to strengthen the team, go for it. Otherwise, take a calculated risk and have faith in the players we have.

I think it is more important not to lose any than it is to sign players. Wilder seems to have got a good team spirit amongst the lads and any loses or additions could upset this.

For the priority has to be:

1. keep the current match day squad together
2. Recruit wisely (the right personalities)

If we are established in the play offs/top two I would like 2 or 3 shrewd signings that can come in and rally the troops for the long hard slog until the end of the season. Some that have the experience or the mental attitude to handle the pressure and influence those around them.

It would be great if one of the three could be a signing of intent one which gives the others at the club a 'fuck me we are going for it!' thought.... (I don't think this will happen though)

UTB.

GK - experienced back up to Moore

This is the most important one, it could only take one poor challenge from an opposition forward and we would be back in the hands of Florist George or risking a Kid in goal.

Also we may need a replacement for EEL if Wolves stitch us up during the JTW.

For once we're going into a JTW window not 4 or 5 players short of where we need to be, which is a novelty for us in this league.

For me it's just as important not to accept any bids for those we don't need to and add that stellar bit of quality if it genuinely bolsters the first team.

We're still on a tight budget so I certainly wouldn't be wasting any of that on a back up keeper when we have adequate back ups already should the unthinkable happen.

I'd like to see us sign Ebanks Landell permanently to stop anyone else coming in for him.

Interesting points raised in your post luke. Thing is, given the possibility of injuries/loss of form, wise investment could be the difference between achieving promotion and remaining in this division. I'm not suggesting that we spend for the sake of spending. Given Wilder's choices so far, in the main he's chosen well. Buying Fleck looks like one of the best purchases we've had for several seasons, similar comments about Duffy, O'Connell, EEL, and Moore, and as for the upturn in form for Coutts and Freeman, well, says a lot about our management duo. As for Wright's influence, nothing short of brilliant......which brings me back to who we might sign, if the opportunity is there to strengthen the team, go for it. Otherwise, take a calculated risk and have faith in the players we have.

I have to say that the approach you outline is the one I'd favour too . It's one based upon cautious optimism and consolidation . Could a couple more loan signings be enough ?

Either way , the JTW could prove very interesting indeed . It's also going to prove extremely contentious no matter what we do :rolleyes:

Freeman, Lafferty/Hussey and Basham are the three areas I think we could improve upon in terms of our starting XI. Some cover for Duffy would be nice too. Other than that, pray we don't suffer an injury crisis and I think we're well covered this year.

There isn't a single position in the team we couldn't improve
One would hope that Wilder has targets and will be given funds to bring them in

This side reminds me of the one clough built in his first season but instead of building on it we let key players coady maguire and Brayford go and replaced them with make weights

I'm just hoping that doesn't happen again as I have the feeling with a bit of backing the current manager could bring the good times of Bassett and warnock back

What makes anyone think that Long would come back into contention if Moore was injured?
I know Ramsdale is only a young lad, but he's on the bench, not Long....maybe Wilder has already made his mind up about Long as he was willing to let him listen to offers once he'd been dropped.

Back
Top Bottom