Jam's tricks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I saw this on Facebook, if he'd crossed first time he wouldn't have had to try and take on two defenders! By the time the ball came in our players were static...

One plus though, their defenders had switched off completely.

JCR frustrates the hell out of me. One good game in Six and as Eggman1889 says, one decent cross in 3

If he crosses first time we don't have any players in the box.
When he gets the ball there are two/ three on the edge of the area. It's up to them to get on the end of it, it's up to him to put it where they want it.

Coutts v Donny- delivered perfectly

When he gets the ball there are two/ three on the edge of the area. It's up to them to get on the end of it, it's up to him to put it where they want it.

Dude, Coutts had four players in or around the six yard box for that ball.

Personally, I would much rather see crosses delivered from near the byline (as Coutts also did) than from 25 yards out.
If it takes a brilliant piece of entertaining skill to get into that position, so much the better.
Especially when you're winning comfortably in a uninportant match.
If players aren't allowed to take risks and showboat a little under those circumstances. When can they?

image.png

Dude, Coutts had four players in or around the six yard box for that ball.

Yeah I agree with that, they'll have known that coutts would deliver the ball early and timed their runs accordingly. With JCR they clearly have no clue when the ball will come in... Or if it will...
Personally, I would much rather see crosses delivered from near the byline (as Coutts also did) than from 30 yards out.
If it takes a brilliant piece of entertaining skill to get into that position, so much the better.
Especially when you're winning comfortably in a uninportant match.
If players aren't allowed to take risks and showboat a little under those circumstances. When can they?

Didn't know the timing of this in the game and yes it was a reserve turn out, in reality, so a bit of show boating is to be expected.

However, he tends to do this a lot and if he can deliver a ball, then fine, but it's rare that he delivers the ball. In this instance, when he finally put the ball to Adams it was behind him...

Yeah I agree with that, they'll have known that coutts would deliver the ball early and timed their runs accordingly. With JCR they clearly have no clue when the ball will come in... Or if it will...

Didn't know the timing of this in the game and yes it was a reserve turn out, in reality, so a bit of show boating is to be expected.

However, he tends to do this a lot and if he can deliver a ball, then fine, but it's rare that he delivers the ball. In this instance, when he finally put the ball to Adams it was behind him...

They knew he was going to deliver the ball early because that attack was a lightening break and Donny had to defend it extremely deep because thanks to Alcock's interception we had got behind them.

Here, as you can see, the ball is being recycled from our attack that broke down and County are defending accordingly on the eighteen yard line. Totally different contexts.

You don't deliver an early ball. What's Freeman going to do, head it in from there?

They knew he was going to deliver the ball early because that attack was a lightening break and Donny had to defend it extremely deep because thanks to Alcock's interception we had got behind them.

Here, as you can see, the ball is being recycled from our attack that broke down and County are defending accordingly on the eighteen yard line. Totally different contexts.

You don't deliver an early ball. What's Freeman going to do, head it in from there?
Different context maybe, but could still deliver earlier. I know we love a slow build up but fizzing the ball into the penalty spot would cause problems

Campbell-Ryce always asks a question of the opposing full back. He doesn't always get it right but he doesn't half put a full-back on the back foot. Reminds me a bit of Nuddy, they over do it at times and crosses are hit and miss but both players always put fear in the opposition defence. Against Colchester JCR was one of the few United players who didn't hide, even though much went wrong for him that game he still went at the full back.

At very least he should be a last 30-minute sub.

Thanks for the vid whoever created and for putting it on again - it happened so quick live I really wanted to see it again.

I get the debate boys but let's be honest we don't see much individual skill of this level down at the lane any more .. You know that one thing in a nothing jpt match that gets people off their seat !

So in and amongst all the frustration at jcr all round performances ( inconsistency perhaps being the key word) I say take a bow son for that particular moment !!

I love me some JCR.

Some players - often wingers - are just fun. Fun to watch, fun to talk about, fun to make fun of even.

As well as Nuddy who's mentioned above, Franz Carr and Peter Beagrie were like this. I have fond memories of Carr's goal at Old Trafford in 1993 and him running Liverpool ragged at Anfield in 1994. Beagrie was the first player I ever saw do a Cruyff turn or a backflip.

I'll take a player like that over the Ryan Flynns of this world every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

And I don't know if Adkins knows it, but JCR terrified Rochdale in the home game last year.

As has already been said, the game was virtually done and dusted by the time JCR did that tricky move, he was enjoying himself and showing NA and the crowd that he still has a role to play at SUFC. Also, it is human nature to have a bit of a dig against a former team, even if done in a friendly fashion. Just like we all knew that Jon Stead would score, the minute he came on the pitch.

I can't understand why everyone slags jcr to high hell.

He is a good player that will run at players and make them look silly. He is not always the best at putting brilliant crosses in but he has never really had a big target up front that will bang all the headers in like we all know from watching matches for the last couple of seasons.
He will tear league one defenders apart and does a job that we want him to do. Personally I would have him in the team over flynn .

He puts defenders on the back foot and there not sure how to get the ball off of him. And many of times will drag at least 2 defenders with him creating space for other players. It is not his fault that no one else is running into the space he has created. Feels to me no matter what he does some people will just not give him credit for it. If he had have put the early ball in and no one was there to get it he would have been slagged for putting a bad ball in.

He is a good player that will run at players and make them look silly. He is not always the best at putting brilliant crosses in but he has never really had a big target up front that will bang all the headers in like we all know from watching matches for the last couple of seasons.
He will tear league one defenders apart and does a job that we want him to do. Personally I would have him in the team over flynn .

He puts defenders on the back foot and there not sure how to get the ball off of him. And many of times will drag at least 2 defenders with him creating space for other players. It is not his fault that no one else is running into the space he has created. Feels to me no matter what he does some people will just not give him credit for it. If he had have put the early ball in and no one was there to get it he would have been slagged for putting a bad ball in.

Exactly. I think people have to remember it's not all about delivering into the box, even if that is a winger's main task. When Campbell-Ryce plays like that, defenders are scared and mistakes are made. He'd already won one penalty that night, can you imagine what the defenders would have done the next time he'd got the ball after those tricks if he hadn't gone off? They'd have backed off or dived in giving away a silly foul.

I think that showing your superiority on the ball is a good tactic in of itself because it makes defenders nervous.

I also don't agree that he should have whipped an early ball in. After his tricks he on the byline, in the area, under no pressure whatsoever with plenty of United players in the box. It's not his fault Adams miscontrolled it.

ITS CALLED ENTERTAINMENT
Dribbling is nearly a lost art , wingers are frustrating at times but when the beat a man or two and deliver its worth the wait
crosses are ok but beating 2 man with ball skills is surely why we pay to get in
to watch people do what we cant

ITS CALLED ENTERTAINMENT
Dribbling is nearly a lost art , wingers are frustrating at times but when the beat a man or two and deliver its worth the wait
crosses are ok but beating 2 man with ball skills is surely why we pay to get in
to watch people do what we cant

Especially at 5-1! If a winger can't cut loose then, when can he?

i just wish sometimes he would just put the ball in once he has beaten his man rather than going back for another go. mind you if he was that good he wouldn't be here

Cheers for posting this WHF, been wanting to see it since hearign about it. I love watching JCR play. I loved watching Franz Carr play. I also loved watching Nuddy play. In better circumstances, I might have also loved seeing Febian Brandy play.

There's reasons that their careers pan out at the levels they do and that tends to be because of lack of end product, poor decision making, tactical naivety etc. But how much more entertaining is it to watch this type of player than Flynn/Coutts etc on the wing. That's not meant as a dig at those 2 because that type of player can have a positive impact on the outcome of a game. They just don't offer the same sort of entertainment to supporters.

There's little better as a spectator than watching players go by opponents with pieces of dazzling skill like we see in that clip. It's exciting to watch and I'm all for it. Obviously you couldn't have too many JCRs in a team but I like that we have 1.

Beagrie was the first player I ever saw do a Cruyff turn or a backflip.

The first time I saw Beagrie do a celebration backflip was just after his header to make it 3-1 to us at home to Stoke in November 1986. He didnt even use his hands!

Different context maybe, but could still deliver earlier. I know we love a slow build up but fizzing the ball into the penalty spot would cause problems

the most difficult ball for a defender to defend is when you have a ball from the byline whipped in at thigh height.

hitting the ball first time would have resulted in 2 things either it heading too close to the keeper for an easy catch or the defenders being able to clear it....

the JCR debate is always an interesting one, when he has crossed balls (people often accuse him of being poor at crossing..)

but if you look at the area (rather than who collects the ball) that the balls are put into the balls themselves arent actually always that bad, last season under clough for example, having 1 up front when a cross went in, JCR's balls always seemed to go to the back post.. our striker always ran to the front... (if only someone in the team would have noticed that 9/10 crossed from JCR went to the back stick then we would have captilised on it...

so some of the blame has to do with the poor anticipation of our forward line when it comes to crosses, I was always told it was schoolboy like for everyone to run to the same place... (yet it's what we did) I seem to remember that the cross for the Spurs game was knocked to the back for Che Adams, had he not made the run it would have looked a bad ball, after the attacker in the middle missed it...

we need to anticipate more and expect that the ball is going to be be played. or the defender is going to mis control. etc.

Great piece of skill but that small ginger player acted like he'd never seen anything like it and just stood still and watched!

Adams really should've done better with it too. It's a perfect example of what he needs to work on. His footwork isn't good enough and he lacks finesse. He should've been able to control and shoot there or have the ability to hit it first time.

As for JCR's crossing, it's often not actually that bad, it's just that he often doesn't look before he puts it in and when that's the case he'll usually cross it to the far post. It's not a big ask for players to know their team mates and it's staggering that they almost always run towards the front post when JCR's got the ball. Even if a cross is intended for the front post it will often run all the way through to the back. A lot of goals are scored at the back post, it's a shame our players don't seem to realise that.

Last edited:
The first time I saw Beagrie do a celebration backflip was just after his header to make it 3-1 to us at home to Stoke in November 1986. He didnt even use his hands!

When Beags got to the top division he did it after every goal. He saved it for the good goals when he was with us!

When Beags got to the top division he did it after every goal. He saved it for the good goals when he was with us!
I didnt go to the 2-1 win at Hull in Feb 1988 and paper reports said Beagrie celebrated his winner with several somersaults

I think it was meant to go to reed but Adams took it anyway

Back
Top Bottom