Jake Wright

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Can't understand why he's not ahead of Louis Reed in the squad. He's a year older (not that it means much) and he scores for fun. A real prospect.

Anybody know the situation with him?

I honestly know nothing about the kid, so I'm all ears too if anyone can answer your question.

Can't understand why he's not ahead of Louis Reed in the squad. He's a year older (not that it means much) and he scores for fun. A real prospect.

Anybody know the situation with him?
He's about 6 months older than Louis and didn't get a professional contract until March this year. Although he's scored at U18 and U21 level and at Hallam, he really doesn't have the same level of experience as Louis.

I've seen him once for the U21s at Leeds (not this season but the season before) and I liked his movement and he scored a lovely goal.

Hopefully, United have a development path for him maybe including a loan at a higher level. However, he has a long way to go to be thinking in terms of displacing Sammon, Sharp, Done (and Calvert Lewin who is scoring for a L2 side).

Others will have seen more of him but I hope he can make it. It's much harder to score at fist team level though.

He's about 6 months older than Louis and didn't get a professional contract until March this year. Although he's scored at U18 and U21 level and at Hallam, he really doesn't have the same level of experience as Louis.

I've seen him once for the U21s at Leeds (not this season but the season before) and I liked his movement and he scored a lovely goal.

Hopefully, United have a development path for him maybe including a loan at a higher level. However, he has a long way to go to be thinking in terms of displacing Sammon, Sharp, Done (and Calvert Lewin who is scoring for a L2 side).

Others will have seen more of him but I hope he can make it. It's much harder to score at fist team level though.
I think he's one of our most promising young prospects myself. If you've got that knack of scoring then it opens up a world of opportunities. I would love to see him break into the first team in the very near future. Still unable to understand though why Louis Reed was given a chance at the first team ahead of him.

What did Reed do more than what Wright has done to be given his opportunity the season before last? I think it was against Rotherham if my memory serves me correctly. I know we played a lot of kids that day but not sure if Reed had already featured earlier in the season.

My only explanation is that Wright had not been scoring as prolifically then as he has last season and in to this. Because if he had been he deserved to be well ahead of Reed to feature in that game and any games that Reed has featured in since. He would certainly offer more than Higdon currently does as a poster above rightly points out.

Seen Wright a couple of times for the u21's. I have to say he looks a long way off being a first team player even at League One Level.

He works hard and is fairly mobile but his touch needs a lot of work. He also lacks pace and strength to be able to get onto things/or hold it up. Obviously had has a knack of scoring at non league but the jump is huge from Hallam etc to SUFC.

As others have said DDG and DCL have both played at League Level and scored goals and are ahead of him. If he gets a loan to League 2 and can replicate what they have done (albeit it DDG mixed) then he may get near the bench but too may ahead of him at the moment. It is not as if he is banging in goals left, right and centre at u21 level and the other day he was playing against fellow kids, not pros and I felt the Weds centre backs actually played him quite well. As frustrating as DDG was he looked more of a threat.

I think unfortunately United are loaded with players and the squad is way too big but it means likes of him and quite a few others are a long way off the first team. If he is good enough he'll come through regardless of age/current opportunities. At the moment he has a way to go.

I've seen Jake plenty of times at Hallam and he's looked incredible at times. I do question, though, whether that extra yard of pace at league level would make him redundant in L1 or th championship (where we at the very least belong!!!)

One thing I would like to point out is, having seen Jake and Diego play in person, that Jake (forgive me) comes across as extremely arrogant and thinks he's got a right to play at a much higher level. I worry that his attitude may either precede him or prove a hindrance in his long-term ambitions.

That said, I wish him the best and I hope his hard work brings fruitful returns

Seen Wright a couple of times for the u21's. I have to say he looks a long way off being a first team player even at League One Level.

He works hard and is fairly mobile but his touch needs a lot of work. He also lacks pace and strength to be able to get onto things/or hold it up. Obviously had has a knack of scoring at non league but the jump is huge from Hallam etc to SUFC.

As others have said DDG and DCL have both played at League Level and scored goals and are ahead of him. If he gets a loan to League 2 and can replicate what they have done (albeit it DDG mixed) then he may get near the bench but too may ahead of him at the moment. It is not as if he is banging in goals left, right and centre at u21 level and the other day he was playing against fellow kids, not pros and I felt the Weds centre backs actually played him quite well. As frustrating as DDG was he looked more of a threat.

I think unfortunately United are loaded with players and the squad is way too big but it means likes of him and quite a few others are a long way off the first team. If he is good enough he'll come through regardless of age/current opportunities. At the moment he has a way to go.
Thanks for the insight Deadbeat, I don't pay that much attention to the youngsters but it seems every time this guy is mentioned it's coupled with how many goals he's scored/scoring. I remember his old coach saying he was destined for big things so I suppose that can't be bad. Interesting to find out how things go for him though. I wish him well.

Reedy simply stood out in the majority of academy games he played, with a consistancy.

Had plenty of dad's and fans from the away sides asking who he was and shocked at his age over the last couple of years.

Wright has scored a few goals, but hasn't consistently stood out above the others in his age group.

Not to mention when Reed got given his chance we were playing a system with 1 striker, or sometimes a false 9, and 3 central midfielders. Even if they were at the same level it was more likely Reed would be given a go in the team (the night he came on for this debut Dimaio started, if I'm correct). I'm more surprised by Dimaio not pushing on given some good things were said about him a number of times.

They play in two completely different positions, this has to be a contributing factor.

Seems odd to compare a CM with a striker as to progression. As touched upon, Wright has to get past the likes of DCL and DdG to even be considered. Surely we should be looking to get him a loan to Leage 2 or conference. DCL is struggling to get starts in League 2 so conference might be more realistic for Wright.

Back
Top Bottom