Jack O'Connell And 'A Team Full Of Captains'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tyler Durden

Well Loved Icon
Reaction score
Once every ice-age James Shield produces an article worth reading, this is one of them.

Expanding on Chris Wilders above-referenced desire to create a team 'full of captains' and O'Connells role in that. For the record I believe that with a bit more refining he will be perfect for playing a leadership role in the side, he certainly has those attributes.
Even more pertinent as I still don't agree with Billy Sharp having to carry that burden alone.
Either way, the attitude that eminates from this seasons players is a night-and -day difference from what we had to endure last season

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...mission-to-prove-the-doubters-wrong-1-8205187

Still manages an absolute bullshit title without providing any further substance though. Who the fuck are the doubters? Our fans? A Brentford manager who wanted to keep him? A PE teacher from primary school?

• Banned
Still manages an absolute bullshit title without providing any further substance though. Who the fuck are the doubters? Our fans? A Brentford manager who wanted to keep him? A PE teacher from primary school?

Now that I do agree with. I scanned the article twice for evidence of "doubters". Shield has form of doing this shit too.

Once every ice-age James Shield produces an article worth reading, this is one of them.

Expanding on Chris Wilders above-referenced desire to create a team 'full of captains' and O'Connells role in that. For the record I believe that with a bit more refining he will be perfect for playing a leadership role in the side, he certainly has those attributes.
Even more pertinent as I still don't agree with Billy Sharp having to carry that burden alone.
Either way, the attitude that eminates from this seasons players is a night-and -day difference from what we had to endure last season

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/foot...mission-to-prove-the-doubters-wrong-1-8205187

James Shield obviously reads my posts on here then: http://s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/jake-wright.49759/page-2#post-1128850

Also he says "O’Connell might only have performed the role once; during a Checkatrade Trophy tie against Walsall."

Not sure if he is only referring to starting a game as captain or what but O'Connell certainly had the armband at Wimbledon when Sharp left the field. Basham had already departed injured.

Also... Why has Simon Moore got a sorn-off shot gun in his hand? Surely that's frowned upon??

image.jpg

• Banned
James Shield obviously reads my posts on here then: http://s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/jake-wright.49759/page-2#post-1128850

Also he says "O’Connell might only have performed the role once; during a Checkatrade Trophy tie against Walsall."

Not sure if he is only referring to starting a game as captain or what but O'Connell certainly had the armband at Wimbledon when Sharp left the field. Basham had already departed injured.

Of course he was reading your posts. The Stir doesn't have any original journalists, they get 90% of the stuff they write directly from the forums. The 'Terry Henfleet' prank on Porktalk a few years back is proof of that.

Now that I do agree with. I scanned the article twice for evidence of "doubters". Shield has form of doing this shit too.

I think the doubters refers to the fact he wasn't picked up by a club until he was 17.
Not sure if James Shield would even have written his own strapline?
The bigger papers have editors / sub-editors who do that. Don't know about The Star?

I would read the article if the Star didn't have such a wank website that takes about 3 years to load because it's crammed full of ads and pop-ups. Then apart from the first sentence, the rest of the article is masked.

Ad blockers are your friend.

Clough tried that if you recall - he signed Walsall's captain (Butler), Peterborough's captain (Alcock), Blackpool's captain (Basham) and Tranmere's captain (Wallace) in the summer of 2014 but that didn't work out in the slightest. What Wilder has done is made sure that the strong personalities he's signed are capable of working together.

Clough tried that if you recall - he signed Walsall's captain (Butler), Peterborough's captain (Alcock), Blackpool's captain (Basham) and Tranmere's captain (Wallace) in the summer of 2014 but that didn't work out in the slightest. What Wilder has done is made sure that the strong personalities he's signed are capable of working together.

What Wilder has done is made sure that the strong personalities he's signed are capable of working together, are not crocked, or shit, or losers.

The Star does well on a peanuts budget. Radio Sheff is fantastic despite its limitations, budgetary and otherwise. Both are staffed by people who are absolutely passionate about local football and could probably earn more doing something else. Just don't get the diatribe against them.

Much rather have both of them than out Rupert hoovering them up along with everything else.

Fair point, but signing a team of actual captains is always a risky strategy due to ego's and the rest.
However, to instill those qualities in your existing players has a far better chance of paying off.

I always think Shield gets a lot of unfair stick and reporters don't tend to write headlines.

There's a humongous difference between captains and leaders. Some captains couldn't walk a dog let alone have the capabilities to inspire those around him. Leaders are a very different kettle of fish. The title is unimportant, what matters are the qualities possessed by several players throughout the team. Their influence is felt and passed on, those around the leaders begin to take responsibility and grow as players, and whether it's by design or default, Wilder seems to have signed players hungry to progress.

Back
Top Bottom