It's easy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeteBlade

Reaction score
"It's easy for a player to sit on the bench at a club like Sheffield United".

Says Marc McNulty as he went out to Portsmouth and bagged 3 goals.

And therein lies the problem.

It's very easy for bang average players to come here and earn a very good wage whether they perform or not.

They don't give a shit. This has been obvious for a long time.

Absolutely can't wait to see the list of players we release at the end of the season.

It'll be the best day this club has had in years.

It's very easy for bang average players to come here and earn a very good wage whether they perform or not.

Absolutely can't wait to see the list of players we release at the end of the season.

It's worth watching his goals for a laugh. It's not like he was amazing. For one goal he was in completely the wrong position because he couldn't be arsed to move and a miss-pass went right to him. He's not exactly in peak physical shape.

That's if we do, I suspect with renewal of contracts up some of them may improve for a short burst.

It's worth watching his goals for a laugh. It's not like he was amazing. For one goal he was in completely the wrong position because he couldn't be arsed to move and a miss-pass went right to him. He's not exactly in peak physical shape.
Yet he bagged a hat trick by being shit ;)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a great player, I'm saying he's part of our issue.

This post should be tattooed on Adkins' fucking forehead. So he 'got lucky' with Scunthorpe and a highly-talented Southampton in the past? Big fucking deal. I'm still getting e-mails from people who I only see on match days. I can tell you that a result like Shrewsbury matters to them. Forget the arse-lickers on Radio Sheffield who daren't ask Adkins the difficult questions. I'm talking blokes in their 70s and 80s who are seriously thinking of packing it in. Our board have - once again - conspired to employ a 'manager' devoid of any tactical or motivational qualities. It's not as if we haven't got 'form' here. Since Warnock we've been a retirement home for utterly useless managers (If we employed Steve McClaren, we'd have the full set).

Adkins has had enough time. He's got resources the envy of most in the Championship, let alone Division 3 and he WILL get us relegated. Who could do a better job? Well, I've been to every home match and plonking a fucking traffic cone in the 'technical area' would achieve more than Adkins. It could only happen to United. After Clough, I thought that we couldn't possibly employ a worse manager. I was wrong.

Stop employing guys who have (wrongly) become multi-millionaires because mugs like McCabe are willingly able to give 6- and 7-figure salaries to muppets with a patchy (or non-existent) record. The reason McNulty doesn't 'give a shit' is because Adkins' experience of the dressing room belongs in the past. It's no guarantee of success - although Wigan, Bury and Millwall would suggest that recent experience of employing young, hard, ex-pros as managers is. Once Adkins has reduced our 19k core support to around 12k, what more damage can he do?

Rant over.

For now.

Reading this and adding it to the apparent behaviour by Turnbull at Chesterfield the other night it really is disturbing.

This is not a critics my of Matty Done but last season he was inspirational due to his 100% effort. This season, admittedly he's just returned from injury, he appears to have succumbed to the attitude of his peers.

The culture of the club needs to be questioned. Is there anyone at the club who understands what we are all about?

I think the players we've sent out on loan have been told they're getting fucked off at the end of the season so they'd better go out and put their selves in the shop window. Otherwise there'd be all the "I want to stay and fight for my place" bollocks.

Adkins has had enough time.

Sorry, I stopped reading here. I've seen this point made a few times now, and it's still bullshit.

To repeat what I've said elsewhere; if you think 6 months working with this shower of shite and not yet having chance to build your own side is having enough time, then you're completely deluded.

Once the deadwood has been shipped out and we see a group of players that Adkins has put together, then we can judge how good he is at his job.

I'm not saying that Adkins is the man for the job. Time will tell. But we do ourselves a dis-service if we cannot see beyond the fact that he has presided over a run that would have found most managers scanning the job adverts ready for the axe to fall. Given our recent history the next 6 league matches and cup game will probably determine Adkin's future with the club and how much he is allowed to spend in January. Unfortunately I can honestly see a situation where we garner no more than 3 points out of the next 18 if things aren't turned around fast. And a cup exit to boot - though to be honest I'd take three points on Saturday over an FA cup run. But if Adkins were to get the chop things wouldn't magically turn around.

The truth is that the squad we have that was largely assembled by Clough is bloated, was unfit, had chronic structural frailties which there was no sign of being addressed (CH, CM and GK especially) and is demotivated and played the latter part of Clough's reign as though fear was the only spur. There is little or no belief there. There was an air of resignation about this squad under Clough in his latter months. 43 players on the books and needing to shift at least 15-20 of them on to somewhere else when they are probably on absurdly high wages for Division Three. A scouting operation that was intrinsically tied up with Clough through his brother doesn't help in the post-Clough quest for the limited team additions we can have because of the current team wage bill. I suspect Turnbull is having to start from virtually scratch. Adkins has had to make-do and mend on the whole, although I would question some of his priorities (just as I would Clough's in insisting on Brayford when we needed a CH) in who he has signed and where he has strengthened. As I said, time will tell if Adkins is the man for the job. He is certainly going to have to earn his money if he wants to stay at the Lane.

To put it bluntly I think things are going to get worse before they get better. Whoever took over was not going to be able to wave a magic wand through a pep talk (Adkins strikes me as someone who isn't entirely useless as a motivator). And who exactly would want to take over knowing that the patience of the fans and the Board was bordering on exhausted and the mountain of problems was still left standing there? There seems to be an air of inevitability over Bramall Lane at the moment and, if we as a club aren't careful, the decline of our once great club may well be permanent. These are truly dark days at the Lane and there is no immediate prospect of light at the end of the tunnel and knowing our luck it would probably be a train coming.

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic but I have not felt so down about our club's future since we went down to Division Four.The difference now is that the financial structure of the game is going to make climbing back up the table even harder. Right now the Championship looks light years away and the trap door ever closer. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Up the Blades forever.

Sorry, I stopped reading here. I've seen this point made a few times now, and it's still bullshit.

To repeat what I've said elsewhere; if you think 6 months working with this shower of shite and not yet having chance to build your own side is having enough time, then you're completely deluded.

Once the deadwood has been shipped out and we see a group of players that Adkins has put together, then we can judge how good he is at his job.

Fair do's. But don't you think that Woolford & Hammond look like adding to this 'shower of shite'?

I'd love it if one of our players scored a not very good hat trick. There's no sign of barn door, I-need-a-dozen-chances-before-I-score Billy getting one any time soon.

Reading this and adding it to the apparent behaviour by Turnbull at Chesterfield the other night it really is disturbing.

This is not a critics my of Matty Done but last season he was inspirational due to his 100% effort. This season, admittedly he's just returned from injury, he appears to have succumbed to the attitude of his peers.

The culture of the club needs to be questioned. Is there anyone at the club who understands what we are all about?
What was the apparent behaviour of turnbull?

What's Turnbull apparently done? I must have missed that.

The problem for Done is that Adkins plays him on the wing rather than up front. He can't close down and pressurise players as much in that position because he needs to be more disciplined and stay in position.

If given a go up front I'm certain that work rate would be back straight away because he feeds off it and it also gets the crowd going as well. I can't see it happening any time soon though as Adkins doesn't favour him in that position.

Absolutely bang on. I bet you it isn't as easy as that though. With us it never is.

Yes what a pathetic hat trick. I imagine the the Pompey fans will be hammering him on their forum as I type! :eek:

Fair do's. But don't you think that Woolford & Hammond look like adding to this 'shower of shite'?

I do. I like to pretend to myself that Hammond isn't quite match fit still, so I don't have to accept that he's utter turd on a football pitch.

He's made 5 signings out of a squad of 30-odd, so less than a sixth of the players are folk he's brought in. When all them contracts are up and we can do a thorough rebuilding project, we'll see what Adkins & Co can do.

Thing about Done is, he was a relatively unknown winger who started banging them in when tried up front. We brought him in, and he was scoring by getting on the end of everything as a poacher. Now we've mostly stuck him back out wide again and are wondering why he looks different.

He's another reflection of the problem. We're playing him in a position he wasn't signed for because we still don't have a decent winger. We had Murphy, and desperately needed to improve on Flynn and JCR, but we're still trying to get by with them, Baxter, or Coutts in that position, minus Murphy, and praying that Adams will show the consistency that someone of his age and experience doesn't often show.

It's a sign of how unbalanced our squad is. We aren't even able to make use of some of the quality we have because players are having to cover for positions they weren't signed for, or because we don't feel our two best strikers in Sharp and Done complement each other.

This is my firt time on the forum but the current set up at the Lane has my blood boiling like many others and totally not enjoying the football served up week in week out, and thats despite seeing plenty of rubbish over the last 40 years. Replying to the first part of the thread and the comments of McNulty, its time the club, that is those that sit on the PLC Board and Football Board stopped believing that we are a Premiership Club, we are in the third tier, the fans know it but those runnign our club seem oblivious to it! They should start by treating the Players like they are in the third tier and not in the premier league, stop the overnight stays before away games, make them wash their own training kit, take the stupid games/chill-out room away from them at the Academy and treat them like they're third tier because thats where they are. Theres no incentive at the Lane for the Players to put up a fight every week as for most of them they've made it, they're at a 'big' club and are teated as such they can all just sit back and take the over inflated salary and at the end of their contract we'll either give them a extra year or they'll move on with plenty of money saved up from 3 unproductive years with us.

This is my firt time on the forum but the current set up at the Lane has my blood boiling like many others and totally not enjoying the football served up week in week out, and thats despite seeing plenty of rubbish over the last 40 years. Replying to the first part of the thread and the comments of McNulty, its time the club, that is those that sit on the PLC Board and Football Board stopped believing that we are a Premiership Club, we are in the third tier, the fans know it but those runnign our club seem oblivious to it! They should start by treating the Players like they are in the third tier and not in the premier league, stop the overnight stays before away games, make them wash their own training kit, take the stupid games/chill-out room away from them at the Academy and treat them like they're third tier because thats where they are. Theres no incentive at the Lane for the Players to put up a fight every week as for most of them they've made it, they're at a 'big' club and are teated as such they can all just sit back and take the over inflated salary and at the end of their contract we'll either give them a extra year or they'll move on with plenty of money saved up from 3 unproductive years with us.
spot on brother.

Yet he bagged a hat trick by being shit ;)

oh, don't get me wrong. I'd happily have a striker who scored 30 goals a year by the ball ricocheting off his testicles but I'm just saying it was a fluke in a lower division against 10 men.

Perhaps Dean Hammond has come in and instantly thought "who the fuck are these jokers I'm playing with? What have I done?" And perhaps that's why he's not up for it

Back
Top Bottom