Is anyone else relatively happy with our options up front?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kozzy_is_my_Dad

No excuses, no dickheads.
Reaction score
Ideally, yes - we'd have a 'plan B' target man type forward, but for me, I'm relatively happy with our forward options as things stand - Sharp, Done, Adams, DCL, McNulty. In my opinion, it's our strongest area in the squad.

We need to be prioritising transfer bids for elsewhere in the side, and using what money we do have for:
Right sided centre half
Attacking centre mid
Goalkeeper
Winger

In that order, IMO.

UTB.

We can score goals, no doubt about that.

Just the rest of the team that's atrocious.

Please tell me more.

Last season we scored more than enough goals to get promoted. The defence let us down massively.

No we didn't, though that wasn't the forwards' fault so much as the complete lack of a contribution from midfield.

Assuming all our forwards stay, I'm happy even if no target man comes in.

The priority is to ensure that our midfield is good enough so that Coutts and the Powder Puff twins don't have to play. Then better defenders as a second priority.

Ideally, yes - we'd have a 'plan B' target man type forward, but for me, I'm relatively happy with our forward options as things stand - Sharp, Done, Adams, DCL, McNulty. In my opinion, it's our strongest area in the squad.

We need to be prioritising transfer bids for elsewhere in the side, and using what money we do have for:
Right sided centre half
Attacking centre mid
Goalkeeper
Winger

In that order, IMO.

UTB.

We could do with a target man but we have great options up front for L1. If Done and McNulty are firing then it's by far the strongest area of the squad and Wilder will have team selection problems.

The priorities are elsewhere but it depends how much Wilder wants a target man and in particular Clarke. If we're going to play in a way that requires a target man then it's very important. It's also important that we have at least one strike partnership. No combination of the current strikers is ideal. Whereas everywhere else in the team we have partnerships we can get by with. So I can see why a target man could be next on the list.

Priorities for me are:

Combative, strong, reliable central midfielder
Right sided centre half
Target man
Winger
Goalkeeper

And it pains me to put goalkeeper at the bottom. We'd benefit hugely from having a good one. But I suppose Long is 'OK'. Whereas we have no good wide option other than Duffy. Unless Adams lost weight and played on the left in a 4-2-3-1.

Appreciate Ricky that you are not Che's biggest supporter.

I do wonder whether hanging on for another year might be the best option as we may be looking to play 4-2-3-1, something that would very much suit someone who wants to play in the left and is a striker/winger/attacking midfielder.

Looking at what we have and what we need, surely the huge wage saving can potentially help us here:

Morsey - 200k
Clarke - 300k
New CB - 200k

Seems a little wasteful to be offloading an asset for 3m+ in order to get 700k with of final jigsaw puzzles into the team.

If Adams took the LHS spot and Duffy the RHS spot then the need for a winger is far less. Although not orthodox wingers you've still got Done, DCL, Brooks who could perform there and need a pathway.

I suppose it would be easier if someone came for Coutts and Woolford but I would love to think we might get some money from Maguire or the owners just realised they got the right manager and added Morsy, Clarke and a dominant centre half without having to weaken elsewhere.

We still have last seasons lack of goals from midfield so far and thats against poor sides, and once more our keeper showed that he is still wide open to those long punt against the run of play soul distroying wonder goals.....

I suppose it would be easier if someone came for Coutts and Woolford but I would love to think we might get some money from Maguire or the owners just realised they got the right manager and added Morsy, Clarke and a dominant centre half without having to weaken elsewhere.

Christ, I'd genuinely forgot Woolford was still on our books.

Unless Wilder can teach Adams to track back, I can't see him putting him on the left knowing Hussey also likes to get forward. Would leave us too exposed in my opinion, and can already see from the friendlies how hard he's got Done and Duffy working backwards as well as forwards.

It's the 'relatively' bit I'm struggling with Kozzy !?!?
:eek:

The strikers are ok but there's not enough to feed them and create for them. I can see Billy having to create his own goals again

Don't think we were weak upfront last year. Most of our strikers are capable of goals in this league. Be interested to see how dcl features next year.

Our issue was we could defend last year and then when we tried to tighten that up we struggled massively creatively. Just a mess

Hopefully 2 more attaching fullbacks should help this year.

Don't think we were weak upfront last year. Most of our strikers are capable of goals in this league. Be interested to see how dcl features next year.

Our issue was we could defend last year and then when we tried to tighten that up we struggled massively creatively. Just a mess

Hopefully 2 more attaching fullbacks should help this year.

I don't want them attached to anything. It will slow them down and severely restrict their mobility.

Some people.... :)

Billy was on fire yesterday. Already! By the looks of it, he's gonna thrive on the responsibilities of captaincy and have a monster of a season.

We're absolutely fine up front, bar just needing the option of a mobile big man (one who's not expecting to play all the time, & who isn't gonna whine about having to appear off the bench often).

But, we'll need to prune one, possibly even two (if Sparkington gets all sulky about being a second-string figure, which he'll inevitably be). And we need some sort of pathway being developed for the highly promising forwards in the youths - Hallam, Hall, Wright, Smith, etc.

Given his performance yesterday, DCL may be able to step up but we need another 'target man' type. We also need another winger, especially if Che goes.

From the limited amount I have seen and read I would say CMF is priority 1, GK 2. LMF and RCH also needed. At the moment I wouldn't put us as anything higher than lower play-off positions to 8th/9th. MF really has to contribute far more than the current crop seem capable of in terms of goals and assists. A better keeper would cut down the worldies, organise the defence better and reduce our vulnerability at corners/set pieces. Up front we can't compete aerially so some variety there would be good. Hope we are practising throw-in's as well as recently we are pants at them.

No we didn't, though that wasn't the forwards' fault so much as the complete lack of a contribution from midfield.

Assuming all our forwards stay, I'm happy even if no target man comes in.

The priority is to ensure that our midfield is good enough so that Coutts and the Powder Puff twins don't have to play. Then better defenders as a second priority.

You're being obtuse. Going up with 57 goals is, I suspect, a once in a generation experience. And they only conceded 37 goals in 46 games: that's an outstanding effort.

I like Billy , and think the others will chip in more.such as Fleck , with his rarely seen of late forward passes, whod have thought theyd work eh , should lead to more goals this term
I still think theres room for another dedicated striker, we are a bit light on headers of the ball , but another midfielder who goes forward could fetch even more out of the current bunch.
and more goals from said midfield is essential
corners need people with heading ability and centre backs will need a couple of goals to chip in to the total
but another center back and experienced keeper , wed have a decent squd now , but with changes to the loan system might have to add 2 more

Back
Top Bottom