Interview with the new skipper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
First since Sharp was handed the armband, not much to surprise the masses: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wssbh#in=collection:p031xqzh

Aside from the obvious happiness of being made captain, a few things...

On the failure last year: Not just about the 11 on the pitch, you have to have 10 off it ready to step in. It's easy when you're winning and people aren't playing, but when times were hard we didn't have enough leaders or people on the pitch willing to drive us forward.

Couldn't get the right rhythm and belief last season. Wasn't surprised Adkins went, as Adkins himself would have felt they would have made playoffs as a minimum. Has spoken to him since and Adkins said he was disappointed.

Sounds like he just woke up, but credit to the bloke: seemed like a lot of games he was the only one up for it. Carried us really when you look at his goals.

Haven't done the maths but I'd imagine we wouldn't be a million miles away from the relegation spots without the points he won.

Sounds like he just woke up, but credit to the bloke: seemed like a lot of games he was the only one up for it. Carried us really when you look at his goals.

Haven't done the maths but I'd imagine we wouldn't be a million miles away from the relegation spots without the points he won.

His goals were worth an extra 20 points. I've only counted the goals where his goal was the difference between us getting a draw or a win.

So yes, we'd have been battling relegation without his goals, but obviously had we not bought sharp, we'd have got someone else in, so not as clear cut as that.

Quick check shows you're right - although you could probably expect players replacing Sharp to score at least 8-10 goals, the goals he did score won us 15 points and without those we'd have ended up in 20th.

Sharp scored in:
United 2-0 Blackpool
Swindon 0-2 United
United 1-3 Bury
United 2-3 Colchester
Bradford 2-2 United +1 point
United 3-1 Doncaster
United 3-0 Fleetwood
United 1-0 Coventry +2 points
Scunthorpe 0-1 United +2 points

United 3-1 Bradford
United 2-3 Peterborough
Wigan 3-3 United +1 point
Colchester 1-2 United +2 points
United 1-1 Swindon +1 point
United 1-0 Port Vale +2 points

United 3-0 Oldham
United 3-2 Crewe +2 points
United 2-0 Walsall
Chesterfield 0-3 United
Shrewsbury 1-2 United +2 points
Coventry 3-1 United

Quick check shows you're right - although you could probably expect players replacing Sharp to score 8-10 goals, the goals he did score won us 15 points and without those we'd have ended up in 20th.

Sharp scored in:
United 2-0 Blackpool
Swindon 0-2 United
United 1-3 Bury
United 2-3 Colchester
United 3-1 Doncaster
United 3-0 Fleetwood

United 3-1 Bradford
United 2-3 Peterborough

United 3-0 Oldham
Chesterfield 0-3 United
Coventry 3-1 United

Doh! I must have included cup games :)

His goals were worth an extra 20 points. I've only counted the goals where his goal was the difference between us getting a draw or a win.

So yes, we'd have been battling relegation without his goals, but obviously had we not bought sharp, we'd have got someone else in, so not as clear cut as that.

Quick check shows you're right - although you could probably expect players replacing Sharp to score at least 8-10 goals, the goals he did score won us 15 points and without those we'd have ended up in 20th.

Sharp scored in:
United 2-0 Blackpool
Swindon 0-2 United
United 1-3 Bury
United 2-3 Colchester
United 3-1 Doncaster
United 3-0 Fleetwood

United 3-1 Bradford
United 2-3 Peterborough

United 3-0 Oldham
United 2-0 Walsall
Chesterfield 0-3 United
Coventry 3-1 United

Could really use you two in future arguments with girlfriends to back me up with stats and what not :rolleyes:

Sharp scored in:
United 2-0 Blackpool
Swindon 0-2 United
United 1-3 Bury
United 2-3 Colchester
United 3-1 Doncaster
United 3-0 Fleetwood

United 3-1 Bradford
United 2-3 Peterborough

United 3-0 Oldham
United 2-0 Walsall
Chesterfield 0-3 United
Coventry 3-1 United
Quality Stats.

I am so out of my depth on here !!

Back
Top Bottom