Interview With Adkins After Donny (A)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03jgdd5

Features Andy Giddings.

A lot of motivational stuff. Informative about Billy.
  • good away victory
  • clean sheet
  • excellent pass for the goal
  • Collins hit the bar
  • DCL side netting did ever so well
  • Reed's chance came after a beautiful passage of football
  • we passed the ball well on a lively pitch
  • good following
  • players worked hard
  • good victory away from home
  • George not had much to do [true dat]
  • AG: In an attacking sense I suppose the development of the team you'll want to see more going forward, say, for the 25 minutes at the start of the game [yerwot? :confused:]
  • NA: (admirably unfazed by this verbal freestyling) Well we played really well didn't we?
  • dominated at times
  • three in the middle Jose in the 10 position
  • Jam, DCL on the wings, Che up front - a bit of pace
  • Che was a threat wasn't he?
  • AG: [paraphrased] Why so many nippers? NA: Third of the season to go. Shored it up after Shrewsbury but we were drawing too many games. Moving forward have to bring the younger players through, it was the right time to make that call
  • the players have a belief
  • Reed has played well for u21s
  • Hammond experienced, worked his socks off
  • Jose in his favourite 10 position
  • DCL did ever so well
  • so did Che
  • good victory away from hime
  • AG: Was it a wakeup call for those left out? NA: We need all players to contribute
  • two CHs put in a lot of headers [didn't notice Edgar today - has to be a good sign]
  • good team performance
  • need to keep driving on
  • supporters were good, kept behind the team, will be important
  • Billy was a big call. Pulled out of training Tuesday. Over the foot problem but has been compensating in the way he runs [it happens]. Hamstrings get a mention. Don't want him out for six weeks with a tear. Told him on Friday and he wasn't happy [I bet he wasn't.] but I've got to make those decisions. Hopefully available for Tuesday.
  • AG: Best partner for Billy? NA: We're searching for the long term formula for the team
  • mentions the short term/long term again
  • u21s played well yesterday
  • always had confidence in playing the youngsters

I know a lot of you don't like listening to what Adkins has to say but he's so clever in his interviews!
Praises how his changes performed, praises the fans, mentions how hard his talisman is working, picks up on the under 21s, deflects attention well etc.
it's very generic stuff, he could be a politician, but I think it's smart and I always enjoy hearing how he goes about it.

I know a lot of you don't like listening to what Adkins has to say but he's so clever in his interviews!
Praises how his changes performed, praises the fans, mentions how hard his talisman is working, picks up on the under 21s, deflects attention well etc.
it's very generic stuff, he could be a politician, but I think it's smart and I always enjoy hearing how he goes about it.
They are all taught how to talk in interviews. It is part of the education of players at all clubs ,how to talk to the media. I know a girl who works for a company on Attercliffe who do all the local sports clubs. She says the Ice Hockey guys are really into it and take it seriously as do Rugby and Cricket players. Football managers go on to special courses on how to communicate with the media ,but players are a pain in the arse ,she didn't mention any club or player to me because she I would talk but basically some are just like children who just mess about don't want to learn anything.

They are all taught how to talk in interviews. It is part of the education of players at all clubs ,how to talk to the media. I know a girl who works for a company on Attercliffe who do all the local sports clubs. She says the Ice Hockey guys are really into it and take it seriously as do Rugby and Cricket players. Football managers go on to special courses on how to communicate with the media ,but players are a pain in the arse ,she didn't mention any club or player to me because she I would talk but basically some are just like children who just mess about don't want to learn anything.

"...,she didn't mention any club or player to me because she I would talk but basically some are just like children who just mess about don't want to learn anything..."

"Scougall! Reed! report to Mr. Adkins office right now!

ce20d7199b80dfa97460b219ad680dbd.jpg

I can see that he mentions adding a bit of pace, but doesn't say whether it was tactical or whether it was forced upon him. Where both Coutts and Basham actually injured or dropped?

it's spin.. i hate it.. i find it disingenuous.. just like politicians as it happens
just be honest

No one really cares about managers interviews apart from people who are paid to be interested

it's spin.. i hate it.. i find it disingenuous.. just like politicians as it happens
just be honest

Super Pig,

You'll find that honesty is very dangerous and rarely works.

A good manager chooses his words very carefully with the press and unfortunately it pays dividends to spin because the majority feed off it.

One manager I remember that was really honest was Paulo Di Caneo. His management style had similarities to Brian Clough. He outed the Sunderland players and said some players had a shocking attitude and he would make them train with the kids until they started taking their jobs seriously.

The players didn't like Di Caneos honesty and revolted making sure he was sacked.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Adkins interviews. A good manager only divulges what he wants the public to hear. The real truth goes on behind closed doors.

Super Pig,

You'll find that honesty is very dangerous and rarely works.

A good manager chooses his words very carefully with the press and unfortunately it pays dividends to spin because the majority feed off it.

One manager I remember that was really honest was Paulo Di Caneo. His management style had similarities to Brian Clough. He outed the Sunderland players and said some players had a shocking attitude and he would make them train with the kids until they started taking their jobs seriously.

The players didn't like Di Caneos honesty and revolted making sure he was sacked.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Adkins interviews. A good manager only divulges what he wants the public to hear. The real truth goes on behind closed doors.
if you enjoy having the piss taken out of you every week then fair enough.. he may as well print out one post match interview and re issue it every week. personally i have nothing against adkins but i hate these interviews as i find them patronising. maybe i'm too sensitive ;)

Back
Top Bottom