Injuries: Are we cursed?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Just read on the star website in amongst the Brayford article, that JCR and Edgar are out with Hamstring injuries.

Adkins said upon his arrival that he was shocked at our injury list and how we needed to address this. I was wondering how he would achieve that as, if anything it seemed Clough used to wrap players with niggles in cotton wool or treat with care

On Saturday my first reaction to Brayford starting was that he's going to do his hamstring or groin.

However he was ok, it's JCR and Edgar added to the list now. JCR hasn't had a bad injury record, but Edgar has struggled since he arrived

Hammond was unfit when he arrived and were constantly seeing players coming in then disappearing due to niggles - Flynn, Scougall, reed, Harris, Baxter, Coutts, Diego, James Wallace, Cuvelier, Kennedy all picked up or suffered with injuries so far this season

Do we buy soft lads or is there something which we do in training - boots, pitches, pressure on medical staff which contributes to these injuries?

Or did the streetwise corner stand between kop and John street disturb some Indian burial ground?

Our manager should be able to sort it.
His quals and the set up at Southampton should help him?????

Harris, Coutts, Cuvelier, Wallace and Kennedy all have a track record of injuries so it's no great shock that they've struggled.

I just reckon they're soft these days, jeez, they have a week off for a dead leg :)

We don't have any more injuries than anybody else - it's just an excuse to cover our crapness. Look at Arsenal or Bournemouth. Their injuries will probably cost them the title/place in the PL. The difference is that these teams are losing highly-effective players. Our lot could be easily replaced by a visit to Endcliffe Park.

Promoted teams generally have injury free seasons.

Adkins has had to do without Brayford, Done, Coutts, Harris, Kennedy, Wallace, Cuvellier, Flynn, Edgar, etc. for long spells. It doesn't help especially five of those missed pre-season and early season.

All getting paid a wage and adding to cost of the bloated squad but little playing time.

Our lot could be easily replaced by a visit to Endcliffe Park.

Why don't we do it then, they would play for a few hundred quid a week, sort out our injury problem, finances and of course we would shoot up the league. :)

Harris, Coutts, Cuvelier, Wallace and Kennedy all have a track record of injuries so it's no great shock that they've struggled.

I just reckon they're soft these days, jeez, they have a week off for a dead leg :)

I'm not saying that the long term cripples like Kennedy or Cuvelier could be cured by Jesus of Nazareth, but the new injuries to players like JCR and Edgar surely have to be minimised

Hamstring and groin injuries are common in winter, but should be less if we're fit and warming up/ cooling down properly.

It could be worse we could be like Arsenal when it comes to injuries: http://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom

Interesting that Wenger is now being blamed for Sanchez's injury.

With our players most we knew were crocks from day one. Such as Wallace, Coutts etc.

In todays game , players are trained to run , back track , close down and find space to be fed the ball ie run run and run some more,.
Its all technical crap thats not very entertaining and also means its more stressful to the players bodies and leaving them more prone to injury.
We do seem to be hit by a sirfeit of injuries, the year we got relegated our changing room resembled scenes from the aid tents Florence Nightingale worked in in Sebastapol.

No matter which team you are and what level you play at , you need the bulk of your key players to sustain a challenge, its something we have not been able to do , as we have more players on gurneys than in boots.
The return of some also has to allow for those returning from injury getting up to speed , match fit,
THATS WHERE WE ARE NOW , CLOSE BUT NOT QUITE FULLY STAFFED YET

Hamstring and groin injuries are common in winter, but should be less if we're fit and warming up/ cooling down properly.

On the day warm up appears quite adequate, cool down is less important, I've never seen anyone pull a hammy after the final whistle. However I think Adkins has implemented correct recovery, ice baths etc to reduce swelling and hasten recovery, Sunday cool down sessions in the case of mid week games, ie getting the players recovered quickly following the Saturday game.

Fitness is the key though Swiss (as you point out) and obviously we are not aware the efforts the players put in during the week, training, gym sessions for strength and conditioning and stretching etc. Ultimately a good regime of strength and conditioning helps guard against injuries, particularly of the pulled muscle variety, hammy etc.

Adkins did make comments when he joined about the general poor condition of some of the players. Things like 'some have had better holidays than other' or words to that effect. Obviously he wouldn't say I cant believe how out of condition some of our players are, but he may as well have. Things like this don't turn around overnight, but hopefully if correct procedures are in place we should see on balance an improvement.

Ruud Gullit on MOTD last night said something like if you play 20 games you are doing very well to get 10 of them completely injury free. I suppose the trick is to stop the small injuries becoming more serious.

Back
Top Bottom