I'm struggling a bit here

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

raul

On the right side of the wrong car
Reaction score
But bear with me. Good Friday 1997, my Son was born, Jimmys, Leeds. I missed the John Ebbrell experience the day after because of this. Overbearing thought was - do I let him choose his own team, or do I point him in the right direction? After much soul searching, I chose the latter. Didn't care if he loved us, just wanted to do everything I could to keep him away from the Dirties. Now, you could view that as bad parenting because it meant outsider status for the rest of his days, but he still has his first Blades shirt - bought aged 18 months - framed on his bedroom wall.The day we dug it out of the loft with all the other ephemera he said "Thanks Dad, for making me a Blade"

He hasn't , in truth, become an every game supporter, and to be honest I never made it part of the contract. Come when you want, do other stuff if you'd rather has been my standing, but throughtout all schooldays, in the face of massive Dirty/Man U/Whoever is doin well at the time pressure, he's held the line. A Blade,, when it's far easier socially and footballly, to be something else.

Tonight was the last time he'll stand beside me - shouting singing swearing - before he leaves us to join HM Forces. He did us proud, they did him proud, I'm proud of all and sundry and fucked.

Good luck Son, your extended family - thats what we are - is always here.

But bear with me. Good Friday 1997, my Son was born, Jimmys, Leeds. I missed the John Ebbrell experience the day after because of this. Overbearing thought was - do I let him choose his own team, or do I point him in the right direction? After much soul searching, I chose the latter. Didn't care if he loved us, just wanted to do everything I could to keep him away from the Dirties. Now, you could view that as bad parenting because it meant outsider status for the rest of his days, but he still has his first Blades shirt - bought aged 18 months - framed on his bedroom wall.The day we dug it out of the loft with all the other ephemera he said "Thanks Dad, for making me a Blade"

He hasn't , in truth, become an every game supporter, and to be honest I never made it part of the contract. Come when you want, do other stuff if you'd rather has been my standing, but throughtout all schooldays, in the face of massive Dirty/Man U/Whoever is doin well at the time pressure, he's held the line. A Blade,, when it's far easier socially and footballly, to be something else.

Tonight was the last time he'll stand beside me - shouting singing swearing - before he leaves us to join HM Forces. He did us proud, they did him proud, I'm proud of all and sundry and fucked.

He'll be back don't worry! Wish him luck from me

what a send off for him, very proud of our boys, especially the blades...

Brilliant Raul ,good luck to him mate. Mine phoned me during the first half to tell he has passed module 1 and goes to module 2 and Adventure training in Wales next week. Just as he rang off Eriksen scored ,to bring me down a bit ,typical Utd. Tell him to be strong for the first 10 days , they are the worst ,all the lads on his intake struggled badly with home sickness and tiredness ,but if he is strong and gets through that it will all be worth it. My lad is loving it now.

Cheers Gents, your kind words are appreciated. Sits, will show him your post, extra thanks.

Good luck to your lad Raulito. Shame it couldn't have been a victory, but i thought we were a good advert for a league one team tonight.

Which one is he joining raul?

pommpey

Nice stuff mate and best wishes to your lad, mine was at BDTBL tonight as well, and I never forced it on him, I just think my enthusiasm was infectious, you have to give them some pointers in life after all.

Army - he looked at the Navy but it was full of NBW's......;)

I heard that as well. That's why I'm not in the navy any more.

Lovely. Hope he has a good career. Which regiment?

pommpey

Great post Raul. Good luck to your lad, my 18 month old will grow up in Derby a Blade. Hope he grows to make me as proud as your young 'un rightly does you. And he'll soon be back next to you at the lane, watching us draw at home to Colchester!

Good post Raul. One of my little brothers joined the army at 17, and it turned him into a man, as the saying goes. Two tours of Bosnia had our mum shitting kittens, but he made it through and when he left he joined the police following in our dad's footsteps. He gets his promotion to detective sergeant in March. He still comes to the lane when he can, and he brings his daughter.

My own daughter was registered as a Junior Blade by me on the day she was born....

Good luck to your son Raul.

My son (21) was at the match last night also.

Guess I'm from the old school ..... Took him to the Lane at a very young age before he really knew what football was all about. When he did get older and realised there were other teams apart form the Blades I told him if he supported anyone else he wouldn't get any spending money.

It worked !

UTB.

Why you struggling, you obviously are a great dad and did I fine job bringing him up.

Mine are 27 & 31 and were with me last night. When we were 2-1 up I sat back in all that noise and the feeling of being at a blades match with my 2 sons by my side on the enge of a cup final was immense. Love my sons love the Blades. Together, what more can you want raul ?

Small SV gets dragged along to the odd game. She's not bothered but when my father-in-law, a pig season ticket holder, suggests taking her to the sty she always says the line from Star Wars about never turning to the Dark Side. She's coming on Saturday too. She wasn't bothered, but I told her The Beard is back and she changed her mind...

My own daughter was registered as a Junior Blade by me on the day she was born....

I was secretary of the HQ branch when my eldest was born and had sneaker the supporters club register in the delivery room with a card for a boy and a card for a girl. When they said its a boy I filled the name in the book then said well done love, is he OK? I thought the midwife was gonna kill me!

Made the bloody papers as well, wife was not happy, loads of weird people and old friends tried to get in touch. It's an am using anecdote 31 years later at family events though, but she still gives me the evils about it!

Family and football, nothing better

I was secretary of the HQ branch when my eldest was born and had sneaker the supporters club register in the delivery room with a card for a boy and a card for a girl. When they said its a boy I filled the name in the book then said well done love, is he OK? I thought the midwife was gonna kill me!

Made the bloody papers as well, wife was not happy, loads of weird people and old friends tried to get in touch. It's an am using anecdote 31 years later at family events though, but she still gives me the evils about it!

Family and football, nothing better
I went to the Lane a few hours after Small SV was born, on the way home for a shower and a change of clothes after being up all night at New Jessop's, and getting afterbirth and blood on my nice new Reeboks. When I told the nice lady in the ticket office I'd like to register my daughter as a Junior Blade the woman behind the counter asked me when she was born. I looked at my watch and said "Oh, about three hours ago." The ticket office lady rolled her eyes as if to say "Another one....":D

Agree with all these sentiments. I've got lads of 32, 31 and 2 (see pic on the left), all Blades of course, as well as a 93-year-old uncle who remembers us winning the FA Cup (or so he claims). The family tradition is one of the things, perhaps the main thing, that makes supporting this club so important in my life, especially on occasions like last night.

Agree with all these sentiments. I've got lads of 32, 31 and 2 (see pic on the left), all Blades of course, as well as a 93-year-old uncle who remembers us winning the FA Cup (or so he claims). The family tradition is one of the things, perhaps the main thing, that makes supporting this club so important in my life, especially on occasions like last night.
Kudos on the age gap Newbury Blade and if he says he remembers it, he did

Only met him once, Raul, but you know what sometimes that's all it takes. He's a good lad in every sense of the word, even better for being a Blade. He gets every best wish from me as he embarks on his forces career.

And next time he's around I'll buy him a pint ;)

I can't believe how quickly he has grown up. What i found amusing last night when i joined you in the Rutland, and i said aren't they letting you have a drink, as he had a glass of pop on the go, and then he grinned and pulled a hipflask out!!!!

I know what the feeling will be like when he goes away. It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since i was stood at Sheffield Station seeing my little sister leaving home to join the Royal Navy, she ended up having the best 10 years of her life.

I can't believe how quickly he has grown up. What i found amusing last night when i joined you in the Rutland, and i said aren't they letting you have a drink, as he had a glass of pop on the go, and then he grinned and pulled a hipflask out!!!!

I know what the feeling will be like when he goes away. It doesn't seem like 5 minutes since i was stood at Sheffield Station seeing my little sister leaving home to join the Royal Navy, she ended up having the best 10 years of her life.
Well done on grassing t'lad up brownstuff

I'm going to blub :,(

Congrats.

Oh, and only ever been attacked twice in my life, both times by off duty squaddies, so tell him if he thinks he fancies his chances, ill be ready for him...

;)

All the best to your lad. We can all be proud of him and the rest of our armed forces.

Good luck to your boy. Tell him to keep safe.

Something's are bigger than football.

Family is one of them.

You know what? I was right when I posted this before, The Blades have become your non-Prem pet and you love us don't you?
We are your second team now, it's just obvious.

Good luck in the final

Back
Top Bottom