If you were the owner(s).

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
One owner has been here long enough. In all likelihood he ( and his family) has lost more than £60m.

The other owner has been here 5 minutes and to date has put in say £10m plus ( guess) Fact: £8m.

In a big fanfare of achievement both owners trumpeted the arrival of Nigel Clough as our new manager and, be honest, we were all "over the moon".

The joint owners gave the man the "keys to the castle". His own men all over the club and a big budget, both now and in the future.

Is Nigel Clough big enough and good enough to take us up two levels and have us competing in the Premier League within a reasonable timescale ( I hesitate to say "within 5 years" of last year).

I happened to see our long standing owner leave his seat last night. He always acknowledges an old fan on his way out. Last night he nodded, shook his head slightly, and walked on grim faced.

I have my own opinion whether they are the right team to lead the club over the next 5 years but I invite comment before I comment on here.

Simple question. Can Clough and his management team ( manager, coaching staff, Chief scout, Chief Exec.) lift us to Premier League security within 5 years?

That is the job in hand. That is in the mind of our joint owners. What will each owner think - an interesting perspective.

One owner has been here long enough. In all likelihood he ( and his family) has lost more than £60m.

The other owner has been here 5 minutes and to date has put in say £10m plus ( guess) Fact: £8m.

In a big fanfare of achievement both owners trumpeted the arrival of Nigel Clough as our new manager and, be honest, we were all "over the moon".

The joint owners gave the man the "keys to the castle". His own men all over the club and a big budget, both now and in the future.

Is Nigel Clough big enough and good enough to take us up two levels and have us competing in the Premier League within a reasonable timescale ( I hesitate to say "within 5 years" of last year).

I happened to see our long standing owner leave his seat last night. He always acknowledges an old fan on his way out. Last night he nodded, shook his head slightly, and walked on grim faced.

I have my own opinion whether they are the right team to lead the club over the next 5 years but I invite comment before I comment on here.

Simple question. Can Clough and his management team ( manager, coaching staff, Chief scout, Chief Exec.) lift us to Premier League security within 5 years?

That is the job in hand. That is in the mind of our joint owners. What will each owner think - an interesting perspective.

Woody , not bothered about 5 year to get into the premiership.

not bothered about what happens in 5 years ( i could be dead )

Not bothered about the money

Only bothered about here and now and to get out of this shit league.

UTB

It's alright having plans, but some plans can ultimately go up in smoke, if we don't go up this season then that's what will have happened to ours. Each year it only ever gets harder not easier.

I've seen nothing from Clough's history, or from his time at the club, that would suggest he could get us into the top flight. His track record is hardly impressive, and considering his playing career and his dad, he will have had an advantage over other managers in the lower league in bringing in players. He has connection that most non/lower league managers would kill for.

The scouting seems limited to say the least. His tactical ability has thus far been lacking. His ability in the transfer market has been lacking. His motivational skills have been lacking. His reading of games has been lacking.

I just think he lacks the ability or nous to manage at a high level.

Clough is a stabiliser, he can keep you in any division, avoiding both relegation and promotion. Would be good in the prem I reckon.

I think fans opinions are underestimated.

If we are doing well everyone is happy a very little negative comments are made.

But when it's not right fans start debating and falling out and it's usually because the fans are talking sense and know when things are right and not right.

There is an audiable rumble amongst fans that despite the BIG name NC is not the One!

I've seen nothing from Clough's history, or from his time at the club, that would suggest he could get us into the top flight. His track record is hardly impressive, and considering his playing career and his dad, he will have had an advantage over other managers in the lower league in bringing in players. He has connection that most non/lower league managers would kill for.

The scouting seems limited to say the least. His tactical ability has thus far been lacking. His ability in the transfer market has been lacking. His motivational skills have been lacking. His reading of games has been lacking.

I just think he lacks the ability or nous to manage at a high level.

Disagree on scouting, think his ratio of good signings to bad is actually pretty good. Given the number of players he's managed previously who have gone on to play for him again indicates he's a good man manager. He's also tactically very astute during games and makes constant positional changes as the game ebbs and flows. Bergen Blade offers some insightful analysis on this point.

He's not without his weaknesses and I think his conservative approach means we don't grab games by the throat, Warnock style. He's more of a steady hand on the tiller.

I think in the playoffs we'd have a good chance provided we don't fall behind by more than one goal. We'd need to get the second leg at home where we can use the crowd to make the opposition wobble and peg back a deficit. At Wembley I think our passing and counter attacking could really hurt any side on such a big pitch.

On to next one, let's bounce back with a win.

UTB

Don't know about the 5 year timescale, I would say that all depends how much our owners would want to spend when we get back to Championship level. I say WHEN as I fully believe that the current management team will get us there if not this season then next. The one thing I am certain of is that if we keep sacking managers & don't commit ourselves for the long term, we will get no where near the Prem any time soon. In my opinion the club is now being rebuilt from the bottom up as it should be and I fully believe that if given time Clough etc will deliver, but this is not a quick fix project, its a long term plan.

Sacking managers is not the problem at SUFC, hiring the right one is, looking at the list of incumbents since we dropped out of the Premiership. May as well add Clough to that list as he is a steady hand nothing more, he will never win us promotion to the Premiership even if you give him ten years to do it and £20m to spend to get out of a shit League One.

Don't know about the 5 year timescale, I would say that all depends how much our owners would want to spend when we get back to Championship level. I say WHEN as I fully believe that the current management team will get us there if not this season then next. The one thing I am certain of is that if we keep sacking managers & don't commit ourselves for the long term, we will get no where near the Prem any time soon. In my opinion the club is now being rebuilt from the bottom up as it should be and I fully believe that if given time Clough etc will deliver, but this is not a quick fix project, its a long term plan.
Problem with that as I see it is that what do class as long term. If you can see progress I would agree but this season we haven't really progressed since end of last season.

Yes they can....whether they will or not is another question entirely...

Back
Top Bottom