I want an answer Mr Clough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
"But the win would have meant that we definitely had got fifth place and we would have known who we were playing and could have prepared a bit better.

"Now we go into next week's game with Chesterfield and we could finish fifth or sixth. So that's the downside of not getting the three points today." Nigel Clough after the Orient game.

Considering either a defeat or a draw would still have left us needing at least a point vs Chesterfield to secure 5th spot, why were our players TIME WASTING at 1-1? Why did we not kick on and go for the win when there was plenty of space in behind considering Orient had to win? What on Earth were we pissing about at?

Just curious.

While we are on explanations from Clough. I want to pull him up on what he is working on during training?

The reason being that I am getting increasingly fed up of his exasparated demeanour in his post-match interviews when he gets talking about the opportunities we create but don't take during games. Suggests to me that either you're neglacting this from our training or you are doing a shit job of it. Either way, you're responsible Nige so acknowledge that please.

He answered this in the full interview, listen if you haven't already.

Whilst at 3-3 away at Fulham with 10 men yesterday and time running out, the Boro manager decided to go for the win. He sent the keeper up in the dying moments.

Not content with a draw which would've left them in 2nd place and just 3 points off top, he wanted a win.

Fulham went up the other end and scored, leaving them in third with just one game left.

With Orient staring at relegation, a must win game for them, Chesterfield and Rochdale losing, you take a draw. Yesterday wasn't a must win, it was a must not lose. I listened to most of the second half and Keith Edwards was really doing my head in. He seems to live in a fantasy world at times. We'd all love us to play wonderful football at home and away, with 2-3 permanent strikers, but you have to deal with what you have.

I think if we'd had kicked on this season like Bristol City we could've played with a lot of freedom, we can talk about points lost, however as its turned out we've had to hold on to our play off slot.

I don't like to hear Clough talking about what 3 pts would've done, sure it was a nice to have but we're in the play offs, that's the importance.

The question I have for Clough is what carries more value: playing the best side possible and risk injury v Chesterfield to players like Done, Davies, Kennedy, Murphy etc or rest the 'stars' for the play offs?

Personally I'd do the latter, the Chesterfield game doesn't really matter other than local rivalry. It'd do something for confidence but so would a win with kids.

Think Rotherham last year...

While we are on explanations from Clough. I want to pull him up on what he is working on during training?

The reason being that I am getting increasingly fed up of his exasparated demeanour in his post-match interviews when he gets talking about the opportunities we create but don't take during games. Suggests to me that either you're neglacting this from our training or you are doing a shit job of it. Either way, you're responsible Nige so acknowledge that please.

Deadly_D'Jaffo over there says we are doing a shit job?

1809760067.jpg

Deadly_D'Jaffo over there says we are doing a shit job?

1809760067.jpg

I don't think i'd say it to Morgs face Silent Blade #Suicide

Sorry though, you're right. Our attacking flair and panache has been brilliant this last few weeks. Gutted I missed the Bradford game, I might've even stayed until 91st minute... ;)

Id like to know why we are so shit at corners.
Even when we take a short one its hit and miss that we clear the first man :(

Our success rate at (attacking) corners has increased significantly since the new year.

One of the things that has successfully been worked on in training.

Whilst at 3-3 away at Fulham with 10 men yesterday and time running out, the Boro manager decided to go for the win. He sent the keeper up in the dying moments.

Not content with a draw which would've left them in 2nd place and just 3 points off top, he wanted a win.

Fulham went up the other end and scored, leaving them in third with just one game left.

With Orient staring at relegation, a must win game for them, Chesterfield and Rochdale losing, you take a draw. Yesterday wasn't a must win, it was a must not lose. I listened to most of the second half and Keith Edwards was really doing my head in. He seems to live in a fantasy world at times. We'd all love us to play wonderful football at home and away, with 2-3 permanent strikers, but you have to deal with what you have.

I think if we'd had kicked on this season like Bristol City we could've played with a lot of freedom, we can talk about points lost, however as its turned out we've had to hold on to our play off slot.

I don't like to hear Clough talking about what 3 pts would've done, sure it was a nice to have but we're in the play offs, that's the importance.

The question I have for Clough is what carries more value: playing the best side possible and risk injury v Chesterfield to players like Done, Davies, Kennedy, Murphy etc or rest the 'stars' for the play offs?

Personally I'd do the latter, the Chesterfield game doesn't really matter other than local rivalry. It'd do something for confidence but so would a win with kids.

I think Swindon gave three players debuts yesterday against Preston.

You can argue this either way but the consensus seems to be R&R at this stage of the season.

"But the win would have meant that we definitely had got fifth place and we would have known who we were playing and could have prepared a bit better.

"Now we go into next week's game with Chesterfield and we could finish fifth or sixth. So that's the downside of not getting the three points today." Nigel Clough after the Orient game.

Considering either a defeat or a draw would still have left us needing at least a point vs Chesterfield to secure 5th spot, why were our players TIME WASTING at 1-1? Why did we not kick on and go for the win when there was plenty of space in behind considering Orient had to win? What on Earth were we pissing about at?

Just curious.

I want never gets ;-)

You mean like "oh fuck, we did all that training boys, but I forgot to point out what that frame and net is for. Silly me, and I'm an ex-England striker an' all"

You mean like "oh fuck, we did all that training boys, but I forgot to point out what that frame and net is for. Silly me, and I'm an ex-England striker an' all"

Kind of, but more along the lines of why do our players not seem to know how to time a run into the box? Or not make the run at all? Why do we not score from attacking set pieces? Why do we crush the expectation solely on Murphys shoulders to create something? Why is Baxter, a goalscoring threat from midfield, forced to play deep?

But I am sure you are right and I am wrong. It's obvious by your logic that anyone who questions Clough is a knownowt...

Stop being sensible Swiss. This forum isn't the place to talk sense. Its a place to slag SUFC, Mcabe, Clough, Coutts, Phipps or the Prince off. If you're on form, you can do all in one post.

Kind of, but more along the lines of why do our players not seem to know how to time a run into the box? Or not make the run at all? Why do we not score from attacking set pieces? Why do we crush the expectation solely on Murphys shoulders to create something? Why is Baxter, a goalscoring threat from midfield, forced to play deep?

But I am sure you are right and I am wrong. It's obvious by your logic that anyone who questions Clough is a knownowt...
I think the answer to the first three questions is that we haven't had a settled line up due to injuries and bringing several players in during the JTW and after. Most of that time we've been playing two games a week so training is limited and focussed on preparation for those games. I'd hope that with a full pre-season the reading and anticipation between the players will improve.

I'm not sure we do rely solely on Murphy, it's just that, along with Holt, he's been our most effective player but the likes of Done, Freeman and Flynn, when fit, have made decent contributions.

Baxter is still a bit of an enigma but has a range of passing and good vision so should be capable of playing in a deeper position, allowing us to play the likes of Holt and Scougall further forward to give more energy and movement in attacking areas. That's the theory anyway.

But I am sure you are right and I am wrong. It's obvious by your logic that anyone who questions Clough is a knownowt...[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, I was just warming to your questions D'Jaffo and then you spoilt it by resorting to self-pity.

With Orient staring at relegation, a must win game for them, Chesterfield and Rochdale losing, you take a draw.

Why do you?

A draw was of no use to us. Only a win was of any value whatsoever. We may as well have gone for the win because a draw was of no greater value than a defeat.

Orient were throwing people forward, and every time we got the ball we had a fantastic opportunity to break - but instead, we took it as an opportunity to waste time.

Just once, we actually attempted a break - and we almost scored. If we'd have grabbed a goal, we'd have guaranteed playing an out of form Swindon side in the play-off semis as well as being able to rest players next week.

Instead, we clung on for a useless point, and now have to decide whether to rest players, and greatly increase our chances of having to play MK Dons or Preston over 2 legs (which looks a hopeless mission currently) or play a full strength side, and have a tired side to face a well rested Swindon.

I'm generally a defender of Clough, but I thought the approach at 1-1 on Satuday was illogical.

Why do you?

A draw was of no use to us. Only a win was of any value whatsoever. We may as well have gone for the win because a draw was of no greater value than a defeat.

Orient were throwing people forward, and every time we got the ball we had a fantastic opportunity to break - but instead, we took it as an opportunity to waste time.

Just once, we actually attempted a break - and we almost scored. If we'd have grabbed a goal, we'd have guaranteed playing an out of form Swindon side in the play-off semis as well as being able to rest players next week.

Instead, we clung on for a useless point, and now have to decide whether to rest players, and greatly increase our chances of having to play MK Dons or Preston over 2 legs (which looks a hopeless mission currently) or play a full strength side, and have a tired side to face a well rested Swindon.

I'm generally a defender of Clough, but I thought the approach at 1-1 on Satuday was illogical.

Exactly this.....or a win at Yeovil that somehow we "were not motivated" for .....

Stop being sensible Swiss. This forum isn't the place to talk sense. Its a place to slag SUFC, Mcabe, Clough, Coutts, Phipps or the Prince off. If you're on form, you can do all in one post.
In other words stop being Swiss, Swiss.

In other words stop being Swiss, Swiss.
Could Basham score in a brothel?
there are some you wouldn't want to score in

I like you swiss am fed up with edwards negative comments he is over critical and laughs off some comments he makes
he is disrespectfull to clough and previouse managers too.As an ex pro you would expect more from him.Bamby (john pearson) is far more supportive of wednesday with his comments he is a wed fan and feels the passion edwards just does it as a job no passion!.Let radio sheffield find a true blade as a co commentator.Kevin gage is one who springs to mind or maybe Len badger he is a life long blade who feels the hurt when we are not playing well.edwards just thinks its funny and makes jokes about it.

I would as him who the fuck is Alise, I'm sure he would know.

Tbf I did hear him say in one interview we need to put the ball under the bar when we shoot. :)

I think it was a week or two *before* Coutts blasted a possible equaliser over. (Crewe?)

Next home game the ball came out to some one on the volley 30 yards out, the kind of shot that has a good chance of ending up in the top tier, instead it was hammered into the ground and looped into the box. Harmlessly. Can't remember who hit it though.

A draw was of no use to us. Only a win was of any value whatsoever.

We are where we are though and, though it was unlikely that Rochdale could score 3 goals in the last 15 minutes, you know what our luck is like - usually bad, frequently awful. Safe is better than sorry I suppose. Down to Chesterfield now and whether they want to push for 5th. I still think we are going to have to beat MKD or Preston at some point, whether it is over 1 or 2 legs. I just wish we had a proper CH pairing and Basham was in M/F for the play-offs

I like you swiss am fed up with edwards negative comments he is over critical and laughs off some comments he makes
he is disrespectfull to clough and previouse managers too.As an ex pro you would expect more from him.Bamby (john pearson) is far more supportive of wednesday with his comments he is a wed fan and feels the passion edwards just does it as a job no passion!.Let radio sheffield find a true blade as a co commentator.Kevin gage is one who springs to mind or maybe Len badger he is a life long blade who feels the hurt when we are not playing well.edwards just thinks its funny and makes jokes about it.

Edwards is awful. Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom