Hypothetical cup draw

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
I guess this is the world's most pointless question, but if we had drawn at Bolton yesterday would we have been the same number as Bolton were in the draw? If so Crystal Palace would have been a great draw for us, a potential upset.

If we aren't going to win it anyway I want to play either a big top flight club, a home derby or away at a 4th Div/non-league shed.

Palace is just 'meh'.

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about that. Some decent ties in the round so I can't really imagine us being high on the TV agenda if we'd gone through.

Certainly won't shed any tears at missing out on playing against the 'Nigels' in front of 9,000. Bolton are welcome to that one.

Could do with Fleetwood losing to Shrewsbury in their replay, though. Otherwise, we won't have a match on 7 January, it'll be re-arranged for a Tuesday night, and we'll only have one home fixture in the whole of January.

we'd have had the six fingered lot from across the way had we beaten Brackley and Blackpool

Didn't see the draw. Were the numbers alphabetical? So if we'd beaten Bolton could it have changed the whole draw and actually resulted in some interesting ties?

I guess this is the world's most pointless question, but if we had drawn at Bolton yesterday would we have been the same number as Bolton were in the draw? If so Crystal Palace would have been a great draw for us, a potential upset.
Like it was in the play-off final in 1997?

Palace in a one-off, winner takes all match seems to stir unhappy memories.

My memories of that day (not game) are mostly positive. I'd not long been seeing Msz Flawed, and we went down together. Lots of beer in the sun.

Funniest part of the day: drinking outside the pub at Euston after the game, wished a bunch of Palace fans the best for the following season, to be told I was a northern wanker and they hoped we went down. Have to admit. I'm not really a fighter, but did consider sticking the nut on the guy who said it (but was luckily persuaded not to by the Msz). Just thought "fuck em" and went back to drowning our sorrows.

We literally had to wait 2 minutes before they obviously said something to the wrong person, a blade walked into the pub and half the pub piled back out after them. Karma.

Vaguely remember drinking with a bunch or our lot (maybe in The Globe?), and met them again in a pub in Soho after the game. One of the group had been arrested before the game, missed the entire match, then released straight after (lucky sod). That anyone off here?

My memories of that day (not game) are mostly positive. I'd not long been seeing Msz Flawed, and we went down together. Lots of beer in the sun.

Funniest part of the day: drinking outside the pub at Euston after the game, wished a bunch of Palace fans the best for the following season, to be told I was a northern wanker and they hoped we went down. Have to admit. I'm not really a fighter, but did consider sticking the nut on the guy who said it (but was luckily persuaded not to by the Msz). Just thought "fuck em" and went back to drowning our sorrows.

We literally had to wait 2 minutes before they obviously said something to the wrong person, a blade walked into the pub and half the pub piled back out after them. Karma.

Vaguely remember drinking with a bunch or our lot (maybe in The Globe?), and met them again in a pub in Soho after the game. One of the group had been arrested before the game, missed the entire match, then released straight after (lucky sod). That anyone off here?

On the flip side...I was 11 in 1997...I remember a day out in London...but the memory that stands out is getting the tube back from wembley to meet my mum and sister (me and my dad had been to the match) and the thorough decency of the palace fans consoling me and being genuinely nice.

"you were unlucky, you'l join us next year."

"hard lines mate...good luck next season."

As I've got older I've wanted to hate Palace for that day, but the memories of how nice their fans were to a genuinely heartbroken kid have always prevented me harbouring any malice towards them. I now feel a sort of antipathy towards them...leaning towards "I hope they do OK, as long as they're not playing us."

Funny how people can experience the same thing, from entirely different perspectives.

That draw is bit irrating. Because premier league team at home wouldve been nice & i believe we couldve caused an upset, as palace have been poor especially defensively apparently bottom of the football league on pts per game in 2016. Dont get the focus on the league as i quite like the distraction as who wouldve people rather played on 7th Fleetwood or Palace

On the flip side...I was 11 in 1997...I remember a day out in London...but the memory that stands out is getting the tube back from wembley to meet my mum and sister (me and my dad had been to the match) and the thorough decency of the palace fans consoling me and being genuinely nice.

"you were unlucky, you'l join us next year."

"hard lines mate...good luck next season."

As I've got older I've wanted to hate Palace for that day, but the memories of how nice their fans were to a genuinely heartbroken kid have always prevented me harbouring any malice towards them. I now feel a sort of antipathy towards them...leaning towards "I hope they do OK, as long as they're not playing us."

Funny how people can experience the same thing, from entirely different perspectives.

That was one memory of many, and in isolation is out of context. We were drinking in the same pubs as Palace and, of course, sharing transport with them, all good-natured and without incident. I've also done Palace away more than any other ground, and apart from being misdirected to the ground when I got lost, had no issue with them at all.

I harbour no malice toward them, t'was just one isolated incident. I fully recognise all teams have knob-headed supporters, even ours. I was just unlucky enough to bump imto some of theirs on that particular day.

Back
Top Bottom