Huddersfield game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi i'm new around here.

I went and I thought we started quite brightly and were probably quickest off the mark. We had a couple of early chances and probably shaded the first half. It wasn't the best game it was a bit ragged at times but it was a decent enough test and I think players are starting to get a better understanding of eachother having gone to burton and northampton I think we are getting there.

Thought we played some good stuff at times, but lacked the final touch/killer instinct.

Dropped off somewhat in the second half.

Thought Harris had another good game.

First half we played some blinding stuff, loads of quality crosses no end product. I though Baxter, played well and Alcock had a great match. Weird watching football in July

Nice to get a clean sheet on the day we lose out 'star' defender :)

First 15/20 minutes played well with a number of dangerous crosses put into their box. Then they stepped up a gear and ran rings round us, they are a decent second division side but didn't expect the gap in class to be so wide. There was some good points, Baxter looked strong and lively but like a few faded later, Murph decent particularly first half. Sadly the defence was suspect again especially when young Harrison replaced Butler, this kid is really raw. Didn't expect to beat Huddersfield tonight but did expect a better performance, none of the new signings I have seen so far fill me with any confidence.

I thought it would have been a good solid performance if it wasn't for some lapse defending at times. We also seemed to tire at the end when Huddersfield still had an extra few gears in them. I can see us reaching the Play Offs at least with performances like that, but if we want promotion we need better understanding in defence and a more clinical touch up front.

I thought it would have been a good solid performance if it wasn't for some lapse defending at times. We also seemed to tire at the end when Huddersfield still had an extra few gears in them. I can see us reaching the Play Offs at least with performances like that, but if we want promotion we need better understanding in defence and a more clinical touch up front.

Yep,we need an experienced striker or two,c'mon we can aim a bit higher for them now NC's got the Harry money..or has he ...?He didn't sound so confident in his latest interview..:(

Defence concerned me I thought Murphy wasnt anywhere near his best.
Alcock is no Brayford but didnt expect that but he does get stuck in
Louis Reed is better than Doyle, I know Hudds were better opposition than Dundee
Its early days I know but we had better start defending better as a unit

Yep,we need an experienced striker or two,c'mon we can aim a bit higher for them now NC's got the Harry money..or has he ...?He didn't sound so confident in his latest interview..:(

I would like to think that we have enough quality in Mcnulty to rip this league up a bit but i'm 100% with you in needing that bit of experience and cleverness up front. I think it is just as important that we bang some in from midfield as well though so we need Baxter, Basham, Scougall, Murphy and Flynn all hammering it home this season as well.

I was thinking earlier how Jamie Murphy didn't do that bad up front last year and I was wondering how dangerous Murphy and Mcnulty could be up there this year and whether it would work? I reckon it could.

I would like to think that we have enough quality in Mcnulty to rip this league up a bit but i'm 100% with you in needing that bit of experience and cleverness up front. I think it is just as important that we bang some in from midfield as well though so we need Baxter, Basham, Scougall, Murphy and Flynn all hammering it home this season as well.

I was thinking earlier how Jamie Murphy didn't do that bad up front last year and I was wondering how dangerous Murphy and Mcnulty could be up there this year and whether it would work? I reckon it could.
Hi Chezzy,
Yeh McNulty lookin ok..but dare we go with him from the start ?We CANT just rely on the midfield to score important goals for us,we need a regular striker/scorer up front,we got in trouble when Ched went on his hols,and haven't looked/scored as well since then !
Its not rocket science to see where our probs are .
(welcome to the board anyway mate)

Have squad numbers been officially announced yet? It may just be my way of thinking, but with Murphy having the No9 shirt, maybe a 442 with Mcnulty may not be a bad call. What other reason to take it off Porter? Personally I like Murphy on the wing though, we still need that other striker IMO.

First half starting line up did OK and Baxter, Basham, Murphy, Alcock and Davies made pleasing contributions. Once second half substitutions began, gulf in class was embarrassing.
Note of concern - Butler.

One thing which worries me about our defending is that a few players go to the ball instead of keeping their position (particularly the new CB) and then we seem to get cut wide open with a simple pass into that space.

The first half we played some good attacking football, some good crosses but nobody on the end of them or if there was then it went straight at the keeper. Still encouraging, Baxter played well, held the ball up well, ran after everything and closed down but he needs somebody up there with him.

More positives than negatives to take out of that match and I can't wait for the season to start.

UTB

I was pleased for one player last night although he wasnt a Blade player. It was Matt Crooks who was one of the 3 centre backs for Huddersfield and played a full game. It is a good sign that he is into Mark Robins thinking for the 1st team squad. I have known Matt since he was young and his mum is a friend of mine (I played in the same football team as Matt's dad in Germany in 1983 but I have not seen him for a long time as he lives in West Yorkshire). The first 15 minutes was a bit of a test for him as the Blades were playing at a fast pace and he was facing Murphy. After he made a good tackle on him he was more comfortable for the rest of the game and had an easy 2nd half as we didnt attack much.
Doyle played well for us in the last two months of last season but if he is a regular starter for this season then we will lack leadership and fire in the middle of the park.

Good first 15 minute spell,after that faded away. Not impressed with either Basham or Butler. Basham for not getting into the game and Butler for too many mistakes, although to be fair second half there weren't as many one on ones for Huddersfield.As a team we couldn't keep hold of the ball and kept giving it straight back to Huddersfield, which made it pretty easy for them.

First half starting line up did OK and Baxter, Basham, Murphy, Alcock and Davies made pleasing contributions. Once second half substitutions began, gulf in class was embarrassing.
Note of concern - Butler.

I watched Doncaster - Huddersfield in March and couldn't help thinking that we were a better side than both of them. The team is a bit different now though.

Good first 15 minute spell,after that faded away. Not impressed with either Basham or Butler. Basham for not getting into the game and Butler for too many mistakes, although to be fair second half there weren't as many one on ones for Huddersfield.As a team we couldn't keep hold of the ball and kept giving it straight back to Huddersfield, which made it pretty easy for them.

I'd expected Basham to be tried in Doyle's role, but so far in pre season he seems to have been a direct replacement for Connor Coady?

I'd expected Basham to be tried in Doyle's role, but so far in pre season he seems to have been a direct replacement for Connor Coady?
Yes and despite the negative comment earlier in this thread about him, I thought his box to box role last night deserved credit. Defensively he got in blocks tackles and headers, competed tirelessly in midfield and arrived in oppositions box in good positions on a number of occasions. I liked the look of him. Scougall by contrast was largely anonymous up to his substitution.

Me too Bergs, Basham and Doyle will not be a good partnership. I suspect Wallace's injury might have something to do with it, I still think Basham / Wallace are probably his 1st choice. Worrying that Wallace seems to have the same problems he had in previous seasons injury wise and NC only expects 15-20 mins from him at the weekend at best pre-season.

Me too Bergs, Basham and Doyle will not be a good partnership. I suspect Wallace's injury might have something to do with it, I still think Basham / Wallace are probably his 1st choice. Worrying that Wallace seems to have the same problems he had in previous seasons injury wise and NC only expects 15-20 mins from him at the weekend at best pre-season.
Mentioned this a few times also, no doubting a fully fit Wallace is a great asset to our team and could potentially be one of our best players in the team IF fit. Seemed a strange signing when we decided not to keep Shaun Miller on because we couldn't take any gambles this season on players fitness but they we went out and signed Wallace who has had endless injury troubles.

I like Clough and I hope we succeed under him for years to come but some of his decisions and choices are very strange, in yesterdays press conference he said we have enough players with potential we are now in the market for an experienced striker, the next day we are set to sign Mason Bennett an 18year old striker who has scored one goal in his career.

I would love for us to be promoted on the cheap this year and have more money to spend next season but is it not better to be safe than sorry and go out spend £500k - £1m on a striker that's going to guarantee you goals in this league........

Mentioned this a few times also, no doubting a fully fit Wallace is a great asset to our team and could potentially be one of our best players in the team IF fit. Seemed a strange signing when we decided not to keep Shaun Miller on because we couldn't take any gambles this season on players fitness but they we went out and signed Wallace who has had endless injury troubles.

I like Clough and I hope we succeed under him for years to come but some of his decisions and choices are very strange, in yesterdays press conference he said we have enough players with potential we are now in the market for an experienced striker, the next day we are set to sign Mason Bennett an 18year old striker who has scored one goal in his career.

I would love for us to be promoted on the cheap this year and have more money to spend next season but is it not better to be safe than sorry and go out spend £500k - £1m on a striker that's going to guarantee you goals in this league........

Yep, agree with all that. One good thing this season is that we'll be in a good position to strengthen through loans (not ideal) and in January. You can't imagine that we won't be there or thereabouts with the squad we've got but we still need the 1/2 players to make THE difference. Anyway, Ched's out soon ;)

There is no such thing as "thereabouts". There is only "there", or alternatively "not there". In 05/06, we were "there". In seasons such as 02/03, 08/09, 11/12 we were "not there".

There is no such thing as "thereabouts". There is only "there", or alternatively "not there". In 05/06, we were "there". In seasons such as 02/03, 08/09, 11/12 we were "not there".

Thereabouts (def): Near that place, or alternatively, near 'there' :p

Hi Chezzy,
Yeh McNulty lookin ok..but dare we go with him from the start ?We CANT just rely on the midfield to score important goals for us,we need a regular striker/scorer up front,we got in trouble when Ched went on his hols,and haven't looked/scored as well since then !
Its not rocket science to see where our probs are .
(welcome to the board anyway mate)

Cheers for the welcome to the board mate.

I see what you mean with Murphy out wide he has been great out there especially towards the end of last season I just think he has some goals in him and he might be one of those players who bags a couple which then gives him confidence to get a good few more if you get what I mean. Equally I think him and Mcnulty will click as time goes on wherever Murphy plays. I have to admit I didn't know what to expect of McNulty but I am getting more and more impressed with him and think he could be quite the handful next year.

Back
Top Bottom