How Was The Game Today?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Official match report here:

United ended their pre-season campaign unbeaten following Sunday's stalemate against Championship outfit Hull City.

Jamie Murphy's first-half goal put the Blades in front at the interval following a dominant opening 45 minutes, but substitute Abel Hernandez
equalised late on for City to ensure the spoils were shared in what was an entertaining Yorkshire derby at the Lane.

For the final pre-season test before the Sky Bet League One campaign gets underway at Gillingham, Adkins handed Billy Sharp his third home debut, with Che Adams partnering him in attack having scored twice at Macclesfield Town in midweek.
Jamie Murphy also returned to the starting XI to face the Tigers having missed the 4-0 victory at Moss Rose, with Marc McNulty named amongst the substitutes.

An open start saw a chance at both ends. Firstly Basham headed Murphy's deep free-kick into the side netting, before Jelavic saw a shot blocked after a misplaced pass from Adams.

In the 11th minute United broke at pace and nearly opened the scoring. Collins strode out of defence before playing in Adams and McGregor got down in the nick of time saving with his legs, before Bruce cleared at the expense of a corner.

Moments later the teenager drew another good save from the City goalkeeper after dispossessing Meyler, with Bruce just able to stop Sharp getting on the end of the rebound. The Blades continued to look the likelier to break the deadlock and almost did so on three occasions in quick succession midway through the first period.

After being played in by Sharp, Dawson had to produce a last ditch tackle to block the advancing Scougall. From the resulting corner some indecision from McGregor saw Robertson head off the line, before the Scottish international stopper almost palmed a Murphy effort into the path of Sharp.

United finally made a dominant first-half display count a minute before the interval. MURPHY, who had been a constant threat throughout, cut inside from the left and saw his effort squirm through the hands of McGregor and into the net at his near post. At the other end, with the final kick of the first-half, Taylor fired a free-kick narrowly wide for the visitors.

At half-time, Long replaced Howard in goal, whilst the visitors made four changes. Having took a knock, Baxter was substituted with James Wallace given the final 30 minutes to impress, shortly before Woolford was introduced for Scougall.

Chances were at something of a premium, although Clucas and substitute N'Doye looked live threats for City. With little over 20 remaining, Sharp and Adams received a standing ovation from the 6,000 plus crowd inside Bramall Lane as they were replaced by Higdon and McNulty.

In the 78th minute Hull levelled the game with a goal from nothing. Dixon played a ball forward in the direction of HERNANDEZ who headed it over McFadzean before volleying home past Long. United reacted positively, with Woolford forcing a corner after his shot was deflected.

From the resulting set-piece with five minutes remaining, Higdon ghosted in unmarked at the back post, only to see his header rebound off a combination of the defender and the woodwork.

Moments later, the goal frame saved United at the other end after N'Doye and Hernandez combined to tee up Luer in the last meaningful action of the contest.

Blades: Howard (Long 45), Freeman, Collins, McEveley, McFadzean; Scougall (Woolford 62), Basham (K. Wallace 88), Baxter (J. Wallace 60), Murphy (Reed 76); Sharp (Higdon 69), Adams (McNulty 69).

Hull: McGregor, Taylor (Hayden 45), Dawson, Bruce (Davies 45), Robertson (Jahraldo-Martin69); Elmohamady (Lenihan 74), Meyler (Dixon 74), Huddlestone (N'Doye 45), Clucas; Aluko (Hernandez 69), Jelavic (Luer 45).
Unused: Jakupovic.

Abel took the Mick a bit there didn't he?

Here's how I saw it:

Overall I think we played well. Could have had more goals in the first half in particular. They never really looked a threat, this must be down to the way we're organised but it's this aspect of the game that remains a mystery to me...and then the goal happens.

MacFadzean played well. Lively, confident, positive.

Freeman had a bit of a mare distribution-wise.

Collins striding, ok lumbering, out from the back on more than one occasion - great 30/40 yard ball(!) down the side to play in Adams.

Baxter on form but seemed to get a kick and limped after.

This (I think) got Collins riled and he might have been in trouble. He also had a go at Basham at one point. Wonder if there are signs here of how he ended up sidelined last season.

Sharp looked very good, winning possession and linking play.

Adams was quiet. Made a couple of bad decisions with his passing - one was near-suicidal.

Scougall - surplus to requirements :( ? Also he can't take a bloody corner.

Murphy looked very good. Dangerous in possession.

Reed seems to have developed his tackling(!).

McNulty lost possession :mad: but otoh did link play well on a couple of occasions :)

We don't seem to have a developed the ability to interchange passes quickly and incisively when we're attacking.

Strange set up from goal kicks: flat front 4, CHs go to LB and RB, Baxter drops deep.

Woolford is rusty but hopefully will (re-)develop into the player Adkins thinks he bought.

There's goals in that thar team.

Harry's spending a lot of time at the Lane...

For now, like most others I think, I'm optimistic but the real test comes in two weeks.

Goals

Not sure what went wrong on their goal. Please say it's not McEveley getting under the ball.

nope it was a quality finish. Mcfad should really have challenged a bit more though.

UTB

PS: The grass was too long also - just hope this is a growing issue and once it's meshed a bit more it is cut a bit shorter - ball just didn't travel well.

Both Howard and Long did OK in goal. It's not obvious which one should start the season, although the League Cup game in midweek means they should be able to have one each anyway.

The back four were solid enough. It'd be nice to have at least one new centre back and Brayford and Harris available, but Freeman, Collins, McEveley, McFadzean will do a decent enough job, Hull did so little attacking it was hard to judge.

Baxter looks at home starting attacks deep in the midfield, which is good as he's not likely to be used as an attacker this season. Basham still doesn't convince me in a central midfield 2 as he wanders out of position too much leaving a big gap behind him.

Out wide, we need Coutts, Flynn or Campbell-Ryce fit. Scougs has been rubbish on the right whenever he's played there and was no better today, Woolford came on and looked like he was running in custard, he doesn't really offer anything our oversized squad didn't already have. Murphy was an interesting one today. On the one hand he scored and had a couple of other driving runs, but until his goal he was one of Hull's best defenders as a few of our pacey attacks reached Murphy and he just killed the move dead and passed it backwards, he was also too selfish a couple of times when early passes could have given Adams and Sharp a chance to score.

Up front, Sharp did general decent striker work without anything exceptional. Lack of service in the second half meant he didn't do much until he was subbed. Adams has to play as a secondary striker rather than out wide. He could play from the right as we have no natural players available to play there, but a few of his passes showed why he should be as far away from our goal as possible. It was nice to see someone with a bit of attacking intent though and his pace and power will cause trouble through the middle.

Higdon is still tubby, but seems to move better and had a good header. Since he doesn't seem to be moving on, I've no idea what the point of Sammon is, just an extra body who probably won't even make the bench. The other subs didn't get much chance to do a lot, James Wallace looked a bit off the pace, Kieran Wallace barely even got on the pitch before the match was over.

Great goal by our intrepid threat. Receives ball, cuts in, gets goal. Just like last season.

Back four ball watching and fast asleep for their goal. Just like last season.

Sign some fucking defenders, you cunts.

pommpey

I think you haven't give credit to Hull for a good goal there Pompey. Nicely taken.

Both Howard and Long did OK in goal. It's not obvious which one should start the season, although the League Cup game in midweek means they should be able to have one each anyway.

The back four were solid enough. It'd be nice to have at least one new centre back and Brayford and Harris available, but Freeman, Collins, McEveley, McFadzean will do a decent enough job, Hull did so little attacking it was hard to judge.

Baxter looks at home starting attacks deep in the midfield, which is good as he's not likely to be used as an attacker this season. Basham still doesn't convince me in a central midfield 2 as he wanders out of position too much leaving a big gap behind him.

Out wide, we need Coutts, Flynn or Campbell-Ryce fit. Scougs has been rubbish on the right whenever he's played there and was no better today, Woolford came on and looked like he was running in custard, he doesn't really offer anything our oversized squad didn't already have. Murphy was an interesting one today. On the one hand he scored and had a couple of other driving runs, but until his goal he was one of Hull's best defenders as a few of our pacey attacks reached Murphy and he just killed the move dead and passed it backwards, he was also too selfish a couple of times when early passes could have given Adams and Sharp a chance to score.

Up front, Sharp did general decent striker work without anything exceptional. Lack of service in the second half meant he didn't do much until he was subbed. Adams has to play as a secondary striker rather than out wide. He could play from the right as we have no natural players available to play there, but a few of his passes showed why he should be as far away from our goal as possible. It was nice to see someone with a bit of attacking intent though and his pace and power will cause trouble through the middle.

Higdon is still tubby, but seems to move better and had a good header. Since he doesn't seem to be moving on, I've no idea what the point of Sammon is, just an extra body who probably won't even make the bench. The other subs didn't get much chance to do a lot, James Wallace looked a bit off the pace, Kieran Wallace barely even got on the pitch before the match was over.

Didn't go so perhaps shouldn't comment but very worried that Wallace didn't get on until 4.20.
I'd like to have seen him doing 70/80 minutes at this point ready for 90 on Saturday.

Will he ever be fit?

Didn't go so perhaps shouldn't comment but very worried that Wallace didn't get on until 4.20.
I'd like to have seen him doing 70/80 minutes at this point ready for 90 on Saturday.

Will he ever be fit?

Why do you think he isn't fit? - he is.

Wallace has said he is fit - he looks physically fit and has had decent match time in pre-season.

As for 4.20 - Baxter took a knock and came off, but I suspect Wallace was always going to come on to replace Baxter.

The question is who starts at the side of Basham in CM - Baxter or Wallace v Gillingham?

UTB

What the video doesn't show is that Collins has just passed the ball straight to the Hull player who puts in the cross, making the poor positioning of some other blades players a bit more understandable.

Some other general observations on the game.

Sharp looked very good against 2 very good centre backs. His play in the build up to the goal was typical.

Adams caused Hull some real problems and probably should have scored another. Needs a contract extension as I've yet to see him play poorly.

Basham and Murphy also looked a class above league 1 as usual. Also good to see J Wallace get a good run out (fingers crossed).

Despite the evidence in the video, the defence played really well until Hernadez came on and caused problems for everyone across the back four. Thankfully, they won't have too many £10m strikers to mark over the next few months. Having said that a big strong centre back would be top of my shopping list as I think we need another CB anyway so why not get one who makes us stronger in that area.

Baxter looked good in CM, can he play there week in, week out - I'm not so sure

McFadzean did OK at left back (again until Hernandez started to attack him) but looked unsure of how to deal with the long diagonal ball all afternoon. He'll need to strengthen that part of his game if he's going to focus on being a full back which is what I think he should do.

Right wing is the other area that wasn't quite right. Scougall didn't look comfortable there and Woolford looked like he was still catching up fitness wise. Woolford is a big unit who might offer an alternative approach once he gets going although he also looks a bit clumsy so no doubt he'll be a target for abuse by some.

Finally, the curious case of Harry Maguire. I heard he was injured but he does seem to be 4th choice centre at a championship club and that seems a real waste. From what I saw of him the season before last he should be playing every week in the Championship by now. He'd certainly be an amazing season long loan for a league 1 side with ambitions ;-)

Wallace has said he is fit - he looks physically fit and has had decent match time in pre-season.

As for 4.20 - Baxter took a knock and came off, but I suspect Wallace was always going to come on to replace Baxter.

The question is who starts at the side of Basham in CM - Baxter or Wallace v Gillingham?

UTB

I was hopeful that Wallace would be the man but not starting the Hull game suggests not?

I was hopeful that Wallace would be the man but not starting the Hull game suggests not?

Wallace is quality and for me needs to start at the side of Basham. Like Sitters, not a fan of Baxter and in a 4 we are going to be overrun as he does his disappearance bit in games. Baxter just isn't good enough in a 4, especially with a weak pair of Central defenders behind him.

We just don't know what NA is thinking yet.

NA has a few decisions for the Gills.

1) who plays left back
2) who plays CM with Basham
3) where does he play CHE - as, he has to start.

Where he plays Che opens other questions - if Che is up top (like yesterday) who plays RM. If Che plays RM (where I would use his pace to best effect), then who plays up top.

Think the rest pick themselves (for now). Howard in goal btw.

UTB

Wallace is quality and for me needs to start at the side of Basham. Like Sitters, not a fan of Baxter and in a 4 we are going to be overrun as he does his disappearance bit in games. Baxter just isn't good enough in a 4, especially with a weak pair of Central defenders behind him.

We just don't know what NA is thinking yet.

NA has a few decisions for the Gills.

1) who plays left back
2) who plays CM with Basham
3) where does he play CHE - as, he has to start.

Where he plays Che opens other questions - if Che is up top (like yesterday) who plays RM. If Che plays RM (where I would use his pace to best effect), then who plays up top.

Think the rest pick themselves (for now). Howard in goal btw.

UTB

I think we know exactly what Adkins is thinking re central midfield. Baxter will start with Basham as he has done in every pre-season game.

I'm not sure why people are still puzzling this one over?

I think we know exactly what Adkins is thinking re central midfield. Baxter will start with Basham as he has done in every pre-season game.

I'm not sure why people are still puzzling this one over?

depends what you think of Baxter really. Thought he was as usual yesterday very average, slow in movement, plays easy showboat passes.

He will as usual divide opinions. CM is key to any team.

True, Baxter may start - trouble is, United won't

UTB

depends what you think of Baxter really. Thought he was as usual yesterday very average, slow in movement, plays easy showboat passes.

UTB

I understand why people don't think he should play but Adkins has played him there in every match and surely won't drop him at this stage. Maybe later? ;)

I think you haven't give credit to Hull for a good goal there Pompey. Nicely taken.

Yep, he took the goal well. But really ... where were the central pairing with an aerial ball in the box, as it were? There should be no more than 10m between them both when we are defending and they should alsways be goal side of the ball. I didn't catch who it was tracking their goalscorer (was it McFadzean?) but he was always going to come off second best.

And Billy's driving run through the attacking midfield area to give the ball to Murphs. Acres of space and Hull backpedalling. That's what we want to see.

I'd have taken the 1-0 win as a positive, but our central two are showing their worth, once again. We can't defend still.

pommpey

For our goal Billy Sharp turned his man brilliantly ( that's what he does) and of course knew where Murphy was and played the ball into his stride. Kepper error helped of course.

Their goal is unfortunate, nothing to do with the central defenders. McFadzean tracked the winger's excellent run, couldn't even let him go as he timed his run so well. I honestly think McFadzean was unlucky that the winger headed the ball the way he did, in a way it was a fluke IMO. McFadzean didn't think he'd just lob the ball up off his head and round the back of him. Basically he stood his ground thinking it would be keeper's ball. It wasn't and it was a really good goal. In Adkins' interview he said at half time they had talked about that ball and those runs and he was disappointed we conceded to it. McFadzean was alert to it but unfortunate IMO.

Midfield? Each place is up for grabs and it won't settle for a month or so.

I agree with comments above. Baxter is not active enough for central midfield in 4-4-2, nor is Coutts. Basham has poor discipline in midfield and that's what Collins was on about. J.Wallace needs game time but not too much too soon. Scougall doesn't fit into 4-4-2 easily, unless he's one of the front two, same with Baxter.

As far as I'm concerned Reed is nailed on for one of the places, it's a matter of time that's all. K. Wallace has impressed Adkins though, albeit at centre back mind you and might be tested in his proper position, maybe at Morecambe.

UTB

There isn't a question, is there? It's crystal clear that NA favours Basham and Baxter. They've been a constant when our "first XI" has been out there.

Midfield? Each place is up for grabs and it won't settle for a month or so.

I agree with comments above. Baxter is not active enough for central midfield in 4-4-2, nor is Coutts. Basham has poor discipline in midfield and that's what Collins was on about. J.Wallace needs game time but not too much too soon. Scougall doesn't fit into 4-4-2 easily, unless he's one of the front two, same with Baxter.

As far as I'm concerned Reed is nailed on for one of the places, it's a matter of time that's all. K. Wallace has impressed Adkins though, albeit at centre back mind you and might be tested in his proper position, maybe at Morecambe.

Woody, You are just finding a way to make room for your Bladey favourite. You are really straining it and it shows. Reed has done absolutely nothing at the end of last season (rightly subbed at half-time twice as I have to keep reminding you) or in pre-season to justify selection and he's nailed on not to get a place. Why? Because he's not yet good enough and may never be. Do try to let go of this crazy obsession. It will end in tears...

As far as I'm concerned Reed is nailed on for one of the places, it's a matter of time that's all.

I think it's fairly clear it'll take some time, and possibly an injury or two, before Reed comes in to start. He's probably tied 3rd in the pecking order with James Wallace. No doubt he'll get his chances.

Woody, You are just finding a way to make room for your Bladey favourite. You are really straining it and it shows. Reed has done absolutely nothing at the end of last season (rightly subbed at half-time twice as I have to keep reminding you) or in pre-season to justify selection and he's nailed on not to get a place. Why? Because he's not yet good enough and may never be. Do try to let go of this crazy obsession. It will end in tears...

Actually my Bladey favourite was signed last week but as regards Reed, my comments were relevant to the discussion topic i.e. how the midfield will shape up.

Baxter's another of my favourites BTW!!:eek: I love proper footballers that's all, you know, players who lift their heads up when they have the ball and even know where everybody is before they even get the ball.

Actually my Bladey favourite was signed last week but as regards Reed, my comments were relevant to the discussion topic i.e. how the midfield will shape up.

Baxter's another of my favourites BTW!!:eek: I love proper footballers that's all, you know, players who lift their heads up when they have the ball and even know where everybody is before they even get the ball.

I can assure you nobody loves proper footballers more than me, mate! I've been tirelessly fighting the cause against the We ❤️ Hoof Brigade for many years...

Central midfield is not up for grabs at the moment. It's perfectly clear that NA has settled on Basham and Baxter. That's the right choice for now as Wallace strives for full fitness and Coutts seems out of the picture. Incidentally if Coutts ever regains full form and fitness, he's the one 'nailed on' for a midfield berth.

Uncomfortable truth time: Reed is too small. He's a lightweight. He is neither a scorer nor a creator of goals. He may develop in time (though he's hardly going to grow!). I hope he does, but right now, the player you have imagined for yourself is not the one we see on the pitch. He's a million miles away.

UTB

I thought Baxter played well yesterday. When he came off we missed his ability to pick the ball up and distribute. He seemed to be playing much deeper than under Clough but I thought it suited him well.

Back
Top Bottom