How many signings do we need?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How many signings do we need?

• They're all s***, get as many out as you can ASAP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Total sweep of the board. I neither rate nor value anyone other than Adams to be frank.

Total sweep of the board. I neither rate nor value anyone other than Adams to be frank.
If you're not joking with that then that's going to rile a few on this forum my friend but I have to say i'm not far from agreeing with it. We have 6 decent players worthy of a place in the squad in Done, Murphy, Basham, Brayford, Adams and possibly Diego but any of the remaining 27 can leave the blades with absolute delight from me.

I'd like to see what Mr Adkins can get out of the current squad before wasting money. His reputation for bringing on little known players is very good, let's see what he can do, that's what he is being paid for.

Have we got time to do that? I, and 20,000 others, can tell him now we need two big centre halves who eat rocks for breakfast.

Have we got time to do that? I, and 20,000 others, can tell him now we need two big centre halves who eat rocks for breakfast.
I lol'd at that. Have to agree though the season is fast approaching and there doesn't seem to be much urgency from anyone within the club given the amount of changes needed (in a relatively short period of time may I add), if we are to get anywhere next season. Similar to our performances last year in many ways.

Four minimum, Keeper, centre back x2,a striker who is fast and at least 6ft tall. I expect Adkins to get much more out of the rest of the squad than we did last season we will play better tactics and be much fitter as a whole.
Do you reckon Adkins will be able to sign those players as well as allow time for them to gel with the rest of the squad, with the amount of time we have left till pre-season friendlies etc.? I hope so but i'm not too sure i've got to be honest.

Rest assured Adkins will get more out of the existing squad than Clough did. Clearly, we need some new faces and some will need to move on. If you think of some of the stand out performances from last year we need to replicate these far more and we will have a good chance of top two.

Do you reckon Adkins will be able to sign those players as well as allow time for them to gel with the rest of the squad, with the amount of time we have left till pre-season friendlies etc.? I hope so but i'm not too sure i've got to be honest.
Well the Clough signings were still trying to gel going into the play off games but I think Adkins has a little more to him than non league Nigel

Well the Clough signings were still trying to gel going into the play off games but I think Adkins has a little more to him than non league Nigel
Agree. I just cannot see an Adkins Sheffield United team being anywhere below 1st next season and I don't know if that's a view that could be too over-optimistic especially whilst no new players have come through the door as of yet.

I put 6
New goalie
On loan right back while brayford is out
Two new centre backs
A winger even if Murphy doesn't go, so maybe two
A new striker if done goes but I think we need one anyway and billy sharp would be the perfect man

I put 6
New goalie
On loan right back while brayford is out
Two new centre backs
A winger even if Murphy doesn't go, so maybe two
A new striker if done goes but I think we need one anyway and billy sharp would be the perfect man
Have you seen Billy Sharp's recent record ................... piss poor.

Agree. I just cannot see an Adkins Sheffield United team being anywhere below 1st next season and I don't know if that's a view that could be too over-optimistic especially whilst no new players have come through the door as of yet.
Oh I think you and lots of others may be mightily disappointed in how Nigel Adkins lives up to expectations.
Way too much hope and optimism placed on his shoulders at the moment.
First defeat will be greeted with suicides on here;)

Reactions: LSF
Agreed, except Freeman for me
If somebody with your outlook were in charge we'd be in this league forever.
We've got half a dozen championship class players at the club and a few more maybes more than enough to build around.
Adkins will bring in where necessary and I'm sure we will start the season up and running.
To say we need a complete new eleven is ludicrous

No guarantees whatsoever that Adkins will get more out of the players than Clough. Maybe he'll get less and wouldn't get them to say an FA cup semi.

We have maybe two players who look like higher standard league one players. On that basis, I believe 6-8 signings and lots of shipping out are required.

I can't believe some of the comments on here to write off the entire squad, and we say fans are loyal :confused:. Also how can someone put Diego as a possibility on their list who's done the square root of fuck all and not have Reid?

I can't believe some of the comments on here to write off the entire squad, and we say fans are loyal :confused:. Also how can someone put Diego as a possibility on their list who's done the square root of fuck all and not have Reid?
Without intending to knock the lad i've watched Reed enough to form an opinion and he hasn't done anything to remotely stand out. It seemed to me he couldn't wait to get rid of it as soon as he received it. I've also seen Diego a bit for the U21's and Scunthorpe and he does stand out in games, he looks forward and drives at defences. I'm obviously probably wrong with Reed being called up for England so I can only conclude that I could have missed something with him but I definitely think Diego is a much better prospect, and it seems Juventus do(did) too otherwise they'd be after Reed so I can't be that far off the mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inb4 the pedants!

My own view is that we have a lot of talent in the squad, in particular in the various wide positions. We also have decent forwards although we're still lacking physicality up front.

Where we are weak is the spine - Centre backs we all know about and I'd argue we need another central midfielder with height and power. I'd also have a bigger centre forward than we currently have. Being really ruthless, I'm not sure Howard is good enough either. His form last season was horrible.

Without intending to knock the lad i've watched Reed enough to form an opinion and he hasn't done anything to remotely stand out. It seemed to me he couldn't wait to get rid of it as soon as he received it. I've also seen Diego a bit for the U21's and Scunthorpe and he does stand out in games, he looks forward and drives at defences. I'm obviously probably wrong with Reed being called up for England so I can only conclude that I could have missed something with him but I definitely think Diego is a much better prospect, and it seems Juventus do(did) too otherwise they'd be after Reed so I can't be that far off the mark.
:D The Diego to Juve myth still has legs eh?
I like him, and think he may have something, but I just think it's crazy to write off a 17 year old who's played over 30 matches, over a player who's played about 30 mins at the same level.

:D The Diego to Juve myth still has legs eh?
I like him, and think he may have something, but I just think it's crazy to write off a 17 year old who's played over 30 matches, over a player who's played about 30 mins at the same level.
Only played that much because Clough chose him. Any other manager could have easily opted to choose Diego in the same way so that's not really a measure of their ability for me i'm afraid.

Oh, nearly forgot to post my opinion for folk to disagree with. 3 maybe 4 depending on Wallace. - Experienced Center half, 2x Forwards, and then a replacement for Wallace if he ain't going to make it.

Oh, nearly forgot to post my opinion for folk to disagree with. 3 maybe 4 depending on Wallace. - Experienced Center half, 2x Forwards, and then a replacement for Wallace if he ain't going to make it.

Only one centre half? Who would you play as the other centre half?

Back
Top Bottom