How many points will we need

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GB10

Reaction score
Just looking at the next few rounds of fixtures and there are so many games between the top teams fighting for play offs .. Chez have won tonight against Bradford of course.. Who have got a tricky run in.
We obviously have a "must not lose game" against Barnsley on Saturday but my question is how many points do you think the minimum would be to get in play offs ???
Appreciate it's a somewhat conservative way of looking at it but unless something changes dramatically and quickly I think we will be looking over our shoulder a bit.

Just looking at the next few rounds of fixtures and there are so many games between the top teams fighting for play offs .. Chez have won tonight against Bradford of course.. Who have got a tricky run in.
We obviously have a "must not lose game" against Barnsley on Saturday but my question is how many points do you think the minimum would be to get in play offs ???
Appreciate it's a somewhat conservative way of looking at it but unless something changes dramatically and quickly I think we will be looking over our shoulder a bit.

One more goal than 7th.

72 points should be enough.

Three wins, two draws and two defeats would probably do it.

Whether they can manage that is another question.

Eleven points minimum will be needed, may need 13 or 14.

Last match against Chessie might be interesting
Yes, us Blades like to keep it interesting. It could go to the wire and then it's anybodies. I have to admit i've changed my tune over the last month or so as i thought we were nailed on for the playoffs (to get in them that is), not anymore i don't. I still think we're in a great position but we all know how hard we like to make it for ourselves at the final hurdle.

It's going to be a low points total for 6th this year. It could concievably be less than 70 points.

We definitely need three more wins from somewhere - or two wins and loads of draws. It would certainly be in keeping with the Blades Way to screw it up, but I think we've got enough about us to get there. Surely our huge squad will count in our favour.

We will struggle but squeeze into the playoffs by a single point and then play like we did in the cup games and get promotion then i will wake up.well were aloud to dream arent we

We will struggle but squeeze into the playoffs by a single point and then play like we did in the cup games and get promotion then i will wake up.well were aloud to dream arent we

That would be such a nice dream but we all know that Donny Rovers are going to beat us in the final with a last minute goal by Andy Butler. Nailed on.

we all know that Donny Rovers are going to beat us in the final with a last minute goal by Andy Butler. Nailed on.

Posted elsewhere that virtually every team Butler has played for has gone to Wembley shortly after he left them ( happened about 4 times now) whereas he hasn't played there. He's technically just left us (some say he never came and its just an ugly rumour he was at the Lane :rolleyes:) so I reckon you are only partially right - Butler scores the winner against ...... Barnsley :p

I am so negative about us this season I can't see us beating last years points total :( the other teams with something to play for just seem to want it more. Only Oldham that we have left at the moment have nothing to play for.

I am so negative about us this season I can't see us beating last years points total :( the other teams with something to play for just seem to want it more. Only Oldham that we have left at the moment have nothing to play for.

Maybe that will suit us more, we play better against teams that attack us more, it plays more into our counter attacking strengths.

Hopefully we can get brayford back to right back and he can find some form.

71 points will do it. All the other teams have to play each other and take points off each other. If we get 4 points out of the next 2 games that should see us through.

After a decent February we have won just 2 of our last 8 matches (9 points out of 24) so we are hardly the form team to put it lightly. Best chance for 3 points is Yeovil. Orient are a better team than their position would say so I don't think that will be a walk in the park. Oldham away won't be easy. Leaving us 4 derbies (if you count Bradford) which are always unpredictable but in which we haven't sparkled. In that context the failure to beat Crewe looks particularly damaging. I have a nasty feeling we may go into the final game needing to beat Chezzie.

71-74 is the average over the years so I don't see this being any different so 4 wins would probably do it, particularly if it was against the right teams. That's what worries me about the 'don't lose' approach. We will play that way away from home and the likes of Bradford, Chessie, Donc will play that way at our place and we now we struggle in those types of games.

After a decent February we have won just 2 of our last 8 matches (9 points out of 24) so we are hardly the form team to put it lightly. Best chance for 3 points is Yeovil. Orient are a better team than their position would say so I don't think that will be a walk in the park. Oldham away won't be easy. Leaving us 4 derbies (if you count Bradford) which are always unpredictable but in which we haven't sparkled. In that context the failure to beat Crewe looks particularly damaging. I have a nasty feeling we may go into the final game needing to beat Chezzie.
Thought best chance of 3points would be crewe no need to say what happened there. so yeovil no guarantee we will pick up points but its which sheffield united turns up tongames that count

Sorry but the form books out the window now. We just have to win against whatever is in front of us. If we don't then Clough will probably be sacked and we will have to start all over again. I can't see how we are going to secure the points but then again this season has been impossible to predict. Beat Bristol City away and lose to Crewe at home. It's the Blades Way.

Sorry but the form books out the window now. We just have to win against whatever is in front of us. If we don't then Clough will probably be sacked and we will have to start all over again. I can't see how we are going to secure the points but then again this season has been impossible to predict. Beat Bristol City away and lose to Crewe at home. It's the Blades Way.
Agree with you we are though actually in a good position bradford looked really strong till last night. games in hand are ok but points are better

Maybe that will suit us more, we play better against teams that attack us more, it plays more into our counter attacking strengths.

Hopefully we can get brayford back to right back and he can find some form.

71 points will do it. All the other teams have to play each other and take points off each other. If we get 4 points out of the next 2 games that should see us through.

I hope you are right, but the worry i have is the next 2 games IF we lose them both (with them being derbies you just don't know) then that will almost certainly put us in the pack, that puts huge pressure on us win them both and we can relax imo. I think if we are in the pack with everyone else we will struggle, we just don't look strong enough. Teams that "need" to win seem to be able to do so against us just like Crewe fighting for their lives i just hope that when we play Yeovil they will be down therefore not fighting for their lives and yes maybe relaxed but we shouldn't be losing to a side with nothing to play for. I also hope Bradford will be out of the playoff picture by the time we play them as well.

Reactions: Dkc
You can just see it panning out this way, can't you?

Disappointing results in the two derby games vs Barnsley and Donny - a defeat and a draw. Ibhere steals the show with a dominant performance and a brace of goals at Oakwell and Butler nets for Donny - a header from a set piece. The blood and thunder of a derby game was detrimental to the way we are trying to play so that made things difficult for us. (let's gloss over the fact that we knew there would be 10 such games this season)

We get a 'terrific away point' at Oldham - any point away from home is a bonus, obviously. Oldham score against the run of play in the first half and Murph equalises with a superb run and clips it over the keeper - we have the majority of the possession but fail to break through a resolute Oldham back line.

We visit Yeovil who, by then, are relegated and can play with a freedom that such a situation creates so we find it difficult to play against and come away with a disappointing defeat as we fail to convert numerous chances and Yeovil nick one 10 mins form time and hang on for the win. McNuts gets on after 88 mins to see if he can affect the game.

That's the journo's job sorted for them - they can fill up on Balti pies now

Entirely possible so far. That would put us on 63 points with 3 to play, and probably in 8th place.

Wins against Bradford, Orient mean that we gain some ground, then on the last day of the season we need to beat Chesterfield at home, and hope that Rochdale don't win at Barnsley, to finish the season in 6th.

Clough must go for the win but still plays a cautious formation with Higdon returning to play the lone striker role up front. The game ends 1-0 to the Blades, against the run of play, when Higdon wins a penalty in the 73rd minute.

Following Baxter's successful strike we take off Higdon and revert to a 5-5-0 formation for the final 20 minutes.

No doubt it will be (a bit) clearer by Tuesday night. Here's the latest:

upload_2015-4-2_11-27-39.png

Seventh place are currently on course to get more points than 6th (game in hand). We're so inconsistent we risk being 'chased down' when we could have been relaxing. Plenty of time for a team to come up on the rails.

Only Oldham that we have left at the moment have nothing to play for.

Oldham are currently 13th, but just 5 points behind Chezzie in 6th. Their remaining fixtures include Crawley, Coventry, Peterborough and Walsall and a severely underperforming and inconsistent Sheffield United. Tomorrow afternoon they're at home to Bristol City (on the beach with flip-flops on?) and their other game is at home. To Chesterfield...

Back
Top Bottom