How many of you were at that match?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Better known as Laurie Cunningham's debut for England u21s at the Lane in April 1977

13178637_10209241023643705_2612648080170344302_n.jpg

Better known as Laurie Cunningham's debut for England u21s at the Lane in April 1977

They always have to chuck in a couple of local players to try and boost the attendance. They did the same with Beagrie for one match at The Lane and maybe Maguire as well.

Did Edwards and Garner actually get a game?

They always have to chuck in a couple of local players to try and boost the attendance. They did the same with Beagrie for one match at The Lane and maybe Maguire as well.

Did Edwards and Garner actually get a game?

Kyle Naughton too

Wasnt at the match. Had just returned to boarding school after the Easter holidays. The below link suggests that the subs didnt come on

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/eng-u21-intres76.html

Kyle Naughton too

Wasnt at the match. Had just returned to boarding school after the Easter holidays. The below link suggests that the subs didnt come on

http://www.rsssf.com/tablese/eng-u21-intres76.html

Looking down the list, I see that Wolves player Alan Sunderland played at Wolves and then was dropped.

Brighton player Peter Ward played at Brighton, scored an hat-trick and then was dropped.

Hull player Peter Daniel played at Hull and then was dropped etc..

Looking down the list, I see that Wolves player Alan Sunderland played at Wolves and then was dropped.

Brighton player Peter Ward played at Brighton, scored an hat-trick and then was dropped.

Hull player Peter Daniel played at Hull and then was dropped etc..
Len Badger had 13 England u23s caps but never played in any full international (dont think he was ever a squad player). Is this the highest number of u23s/u21s appearances without ever playing for the full side?

Len Badger had 13 England u23s caps but never played in any full international (dont think he was ever a squad player). Is this the highest number of u23s/u21s appearances without ever playing for the full side?

According to the list you linked to Gary Owen played 22 times for England U21's

Wikipedia confirms that he never made the first team (he just made the first team laugh)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Owen_(footballer)

I think the record holder is Fabrice Muamba with 33 caps

Last edited:
Prolly belongs in a different thread but didn't Mick Speight play in an England friendly?

The first player I ever saw take a shot (it was from the corner of the six yard box) that went out for a throw in.

If that was the game when Mark Hatley scored then Bert was there.

Who in that squad went on to play full internationals? I make it 5: Rix, Williams, Cunningham,Reid and Barnes. I suppose by dint of his spell in midfield in Mexico 86 Reid had the best England career.

I wasn't even born until later that year.

My first game at the lane was England U21 v Turkey U21's, in 1986 ( i think), sat in the top tier of Bramall Lane, seem to remember it was a night match as i remember the 4 shadows around the players from the old style floodlights.

Still have the programme somewhere at home

I wasn't even born until later that year.

My first game at the lane was England U21 v Turkey U21's, in 1986 ( i think), sat in the top tier of Bramall Lane, seem to remember it was a night match as i remember the 4 shadows around the players from the old style floodlights.

Still have the programme somewhere at home
October 1987. I was there until half time when Beagrie got subbed

Haven't they had 7 u21 England international games at the Lane - Scotland '77, East Germany (semi-final) '80 (seem to remember Man U goalkeeper Gary Bailey getting a slaughtering from our Kop), West Germany (final) '82 (think Lothar Matthaus and Rudi Voller played for the Germans), Spain (final) '84 (think the pig Sterland played for England), Turkey '87 (Beags played), Czech Republic 08/09 (Naughton played) and Scotland again '13 (Long unused sub).

Also remember some Euro under 17 tournament in England about 1983, Bramall Lane got a game between Rep of Ireland and Belgium, where a certain Jean-Marc Bosman played for the Belgium, now whatever happened to him???

Back
Top Bottom