How important is the Chesterfield game for you?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the pig end

Reaction score
Experiment with the team?
Rest certain players?
Give some youngsters a start?
Or try to beat the bastards and go flying into the playoffs rather than limping into them?
I'm not sure either way so this is a genuine question, I just feel that some optimism amongst the fans would be massively beneficial right now, and what better way than to beat our possible wembley opponents?

Personally it's one of the few games I can go to as I work Saturday's. So taking her indoors and hopeful I'll see a good performance that can inspire some confidence going into the dreaded play-offs.

Not too fussed who we play in the semi's as I live close to MK Dons so that would be a nice away trip (again) and I can't make a potential play-off final due to holiday (seriously the one time I let me wife book the holiday)!

I suppose it will depend on who Nigel wants to play, I'm just hoping they both don't want to finish sixth .........:tumbleweed:

My mrs is a spireite so yeah, important. Not as important as the playoff final could be.

Does anyone know what the ticketing situation would be for wembley, i.e. is it like the FA Cup semi was, select your price but get given a seat?

My mrs is a spireite so yeah, important. Not as important as the playoff final could be.

Does anyone know what the ticketing situation would be for wembley, i.e. is it like the FA Cup semi was, select your price but get given a seat?
I'd love to get them in the final!
Would you be sitting with the missis?

Yes I think so but if we get there we should be allowed 2 tickets each at least

We were having this debate in the car on the way home, and we're all undecided.

I was initially leaning towards resting players, but for me we need a performance. We've not played well for some time and you can't just find three performances from nowhere.

There squad not as big as ours so i reckon they will not field there strongest squad they wont be bothered if they lose sat they would be more interested in beating us if we both made the final

I agree, it's not just about momentum, it's about playing Swindon who seem to be in the same form as us.
That said, it'll still mean a tough game at wembley regardless.

We must avoid defeat. We need to finish 5th and play Swindon.

Do we though? Swindon have been assured of a play off place for a while now, have probably prepared like buggery for it and are sitting reasonably comfortable and chilled. Both MK and Preston are still dreaming of an automatic place going into the final game, which either can achieve. Imagine how pissed off and upset one of them will be feeling at full time next Sunday having to settle for the play offs instead of going straight up - especially if it's Preston.

Would it be so bad if we were to finish sixth and play either Preston or MK who would be on a massive downer at having just missed out on automatic?

Hugely important for me as I will be able to attend a Monday away game against Swindon, and was planning to book train tickets and hotel if we'd beaten Orient.

If we end up playing on the Sunday at 12.15 I'll be pushing it to actually see the game on TV given flight times.

The main problem with finishing 6th wouldn't be the standard of opposition in the semi, it would be the draining effect of finishing our season with yet another home defeat. We need to rest certain key players but still go all out for the win.

I'm taking some emcouragement from the fact that we have just one defeat in our past six games (v Yeovil) and two losses in the past 11. Chessie's winning run has come to an end, and they may fancy MK Dons - they beat them in the league in March and also beat them in the FA Cup.

Play out a bore draw and rest as many key players as possible (usual tactics then), we need 5th to get Swindon but also need key players fit. I don't think Chessie will go all out for a win tbh, they will be happy to be in the playoffs and will also rest players and not want any injuries.

Was chatting to chessie mates and they suspect they'll rest players as their squad is paper thin. They also happy to play MKD. I selfishly want us to finish 6th as the kick off times are way better for us down under. So I'd like us to lose :)

Reactions: Dkc
Like others have said, the priority now is to ensure our first choice 18 are fit for the play offs. Against Chessie I would expect the likes of Ben Davies, Reid Scougill McGahey,Doyle and Alcock all to start as will McEverley if fit as he will need some match practice.

On Sunday we start with a point
We only need a point to remain in 5th position to set up a tie with the weaker of the potential candidates
We will set up to protect that point and pitch in with all three if we get an opportunity to strike.
Keep it tight, don't concede and we are into our most desirable outcome.

It's a novel approach and it might work, so it's worth considering as opposed to all this Gung Ho bollocks that has got us into this situation in the first place.

Agree with Danny, WH etc, don't think we beat whoever ends up third over 2 legs so avoiding defeat is critical. Would rather take my chances with Swindon. Go close to full strength, but don't do anything stupid like rushing back anyone with injury only for them to go off at half time and miss the playoffs

Was chatting to chessie mates and they suspect they'll rest players as their squad is paper thin. They also happy to play MKD. I selfishly want us to finish 6th as the kick off times are way better for us down under. So I'd like us to lose :)
Told two of my workmates who are Chesterfield fans that I am hoping we will rest Howard (back probs), Basham (not had a rest), Brayford (ditto), Murphy (dont want to burn him out) and Davies (niggling injuries). They say they hope Morsy (one booking away from ban), Ryan (not had a rest), Clucas (not had a rest) and Roberts (dodgy hamstring) will be rested

Back
Top Bottom