Hottest United game you have been to.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Seeing as it is one of those occasional days where it is red hot, and the national falls to bits as it can't handle a bit of hot weather, just wondered what the hottest game you have even been at is.

The one stand out game for me was Gillingham at home, first game of the 03/04 season and it being swelteringly hot. Think it nearly hit 100f down south that day.

Other hot games I can remember

Norwich, the last home game of the 90/91 season where the kop was roofless.

A steel city cup game before the 95/96 season, and Tranmere at home in the first game of that season.

Play off final games against Palace in 97, Burnley in 09 and Huddrsfield in 12 all seemed to be roasting hot days as well

Huddersfield play off final.

People queuing for water as opposed to be. Staff refusing to give it free of charge until everybody threatened to kick the fuck out of them and threatened them with corporate manslaughter or sumat

That Gillingham game was probably the worst I've ever experienced, as I was sat in the shitty seats for the udders playoff.

Other notable games were first day of season at wolves late 90s? It was a 0-0 and we were on bottom tier of one of the side stands.

Also consecutive games at elm Park last match of season and first of following season in early 90s

Away at Reading on the old open terrace at Elm Park. It was the day we brought Carl Muggleton on as an outfield player and I got burnt to a crisp.

Gillingham in 2003 was hotter than Hudders, Burnley in play offs, Sunderland in 1997 and QPR in 1974

Gillingham 2003 at the Lane for me. Went to a 21st birthday do at the Sicey hotel after the game, it was so hot in there you could barely breathe.

Hottest for me: Reading 1st day of the 1996-7 season.

I missed the Gillingham game on the 1st day of 2003-4, but I remember the heat that day and it wouldn't surprise me if that game was hotter.

Hottest abroad: Chelsea 7 Chengdu Blades 0 in Macau in the summer of 2008. It was that hot I got dehydrated (there was no drink on sale in the stadium)

Another vote for Huddersfield play-off. It was roasting.

My seat was in one of the 'sponsors' designated areas and I was told at the last minute I wasn't allowed to wear my replica shirt!! Quick dash to the supermarket to get a shirt to get back for kick-off.

The norwich game where they took the roof off was jotter than a motherfucker

But maybe thats because some clowns set fire to some guy in a pig shirt and mask (his shirt anyway )

The norwich game where they took the roof off was jotter than a motherfucker

But maybe thats because some clowns set fire to some guy in a pig shirt and mask (his shirt anyway )

Forgot about that one, a scorcher and a much, much bigger crowd than reported.

I remember Huddersfield game being really hot, but I didnt tan at all that game. The Yeovil playoff semi final away game, I ended up soo burnt. So I will go with that one

That Norwich game for me, I do remember me and the kids making sure sure we all had our coats before setting off for the Lane ............... :confused:

Only game where I actually got burnt was that Norwich game. I'd cut my hair the day before (No.1 all over) and by full time you could fry eggs on the top of my head.

Definitely Gillingham 2003/4. I think it was 33 degrees in Sheffield, and i'm sure that was the day we had the all-time record of around 38 degrees further south ?

Edit: Yep - all time UK record 38.5 degrees in Kent.

Last edited:
Came in to post the Gills opening match and the Burnley playoff final.

Both fucking miserable.

absolutely, no question about it - play off final u udders.

The sun appeared on us just at kick off - just an absolute nightmare......and come to think of it, the end result was a nightmare too - is that ball still in the stratosphere?.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom