Horses for Courses

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Going up

Reaction score
I will probably upset many on here, but I think Cloughie picked the most experienced side for this game. A game we lost awfully last year.

Generally, I would love to see Marc get more starts, but today, I wasn't too surprised or concerned that he didn't.

A statement made, a huge improvement 12 months on, another clean sheet, a great confidence boost, a couple of steps up the table.

As we do pull away from the pack and get firmly established in the playoffs, I would hope and expect us to be more aggressively challenging for the top two spots by going for broke when a draw is on the cards. Until then, I expect a few more 1-0 wins.

Going Up!

Whilst the Blades are a different team to this time last year (as are Crewe) we still need more goals to kill off teams. Not complaining about where we are at the moment though.

As ive said all season we will make top 6 without really having to perform well , we are about where id expect us to be
If we want to win the division we only have to add a couple of quality players to the squad and we will romp it
Carry on as we are and its the lottery of the play offs

As ive said all season we will make top 6 without really having to perform well , we are about where id expect us to be
If we want to win the division we only have to add a couple of quality players to the squad and we will romp it
If we carry on winning 3 games a week I fancy our chances...!

A little unfair calling Scougs a half, Sitwell:)

He did score the goal!

Baxter adds nothing to the team when played as a lone striker, we really should be hitting 5 past teams like Crewe. One reason why we will struggle to make the top 2 unfortunately.

If Baxter gets more than 2 on anyones report they must be related to him.
Basham today was fearless ,brave ,energetic ,committed ,skilful and strong.
Baxter wasn't.

Agreed, Ched and 1 dominant centre half (the replacement for Maguire they should have lined up in the summer before they sold him)

Seems like Basham will be our replacement for the CH spot! If we can extend Paddy, I can see a strong, experienced, Center pairing in the making plus money on the table from the HM sale.

They weren't up against much but basham and McCarthy were excellent today, with the return to form of Harris and wallace/Doyle looking a partnership in front of them we could have something.

Be nice to get Mcarthy on season long loan nothing doing for him at Palace.

If Baxter gets more than 2 on anyones report they must be related to him.
Basham today was fearless ,brave ,energetic ,committed ,skilful and strong.
Baxter wasn't.
You've got your knife in Baxter at the moment with good reason but what can he do when the manager plays him in position completely alien to him.

Agreed. There is a real talent in Baxter but he is not mobile enough, tuned in enough, strong enough, or sharp enough to be a Striker. He is much better with the ball at his feet where he can pick out a pass and play someone in rather than play with his back to goal and run the channels.

Agreed. There is a real talent in Baxter but he is not mobile enough, tuned in enough, strong enough, or sharp enough to be a Striker. He is much better with the ball at his feet where he can pick out a pass and play someone in rather than play with his back to goal and run the channels.

I've always wanted Baxter to be like Andy Reid but unfortunately he just looks a bit like him without actually being close to being anything like as good as Reid is.
Baxter has ability but it think we're only seeing 40% of his potential!
Is it fitness or is he carrying an injury?

I've always wanted Baxter to be like Andy Reid but unfortunately he just looks a bit like him without actually being close to being anything like as good as Reid is.
Baxter has ability but it think we're only seeing 40% of his potential!
Is it fitness or is he carrying an injury?

You got dried off yet Tybers ;)

For a player with so much talent with the ball at his feet his passing was awful,his free kick was toss and his penalty the same. Still some give it josebaxterbaby while knocking scougall who did all his work for him while Baxter slumped around like a spoilt child who really couldn't give a toss. I don't care if he feels he's out of position his body language and effort is a joke, and when he doesn't produce when the ball is at his feet he is a complete waste of a player.
Clough is making a big mistake playing him in front of mcnulty or higdon, we would have won easily with either of them today in baxters place

Do people think NCs squad rotation system will see us up in the top 2 come the end of the season?

Im hoping so. Whilst many Blades Maligned our summer signings (me included excluding JCR) I think this guy could have pulled off a masterstroke.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a rotation with the front three. We need Baxter, Higdon and MM to be fit and firing.

I would expect Higdon on to start and MM off the bench to take advantage of a tiring set of opposition defenders come the midweek.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a rotation with the front three. We need Baxter, Higdon and MM to be fit and firing.

I would expect Higdon on to start and MM off the bench to take advantage of a tiring set of opposition defenders come the midweek.
I expect our manager to play our BEST attacker and GOALSCORER from the start in every match,and that person is no doubt Marc McNulty.

I like Baxter,but why the fuck is he playing him in that position when we have a ready made player allready in McNulty.Don't play Baxter unless you play him right,it nearly cost us again today and we never looked like losing it really.

I might sound like i'm knocking Cloughie,and i am in a way,but it's so frustrating to watch when a team like Crewe who never looked like penetrating us could so easily have got a draw in the end.We have the players at the club to get promotion now,that i am convinced of(i didn't think so at first),there's only one thing that could cost us,and that's negativity.This league's here for the taking,all we have to do is fucking grab it.

Loan Baxter to the Minstermen and get Diego back,crap yesterday and am really pissed off with this theory he is being played out of postition, doesn't warrant a place in the squad on current form.Murphy on the other hand was back to his old self yesterday, left Tootle on his backside many times.

Do people think NCs squad rotation system will see us up in the top 2 come the end of the season?

Im hoping so. Whilst many Blades Maligned our summer signings (me included excluding JCR) I think this guy could have pulled off a masterstroke.

I think we are now starting to see the benefits of having a big squad, but I also think it seems a bit more like squad rotating than it actually is. The three players that came in yesterday, McCarthy, Wallace and Baxter would probably have started vs Yeovil if they'd been fully fit. Clough seems to either miss or get two or three players back from injuries/niggles almost every match.

Yesterday was probably his current preferred XI, although with the next fixture being a cup game he may want to make a few changes again.

Ken post: 665651 said:
You mean like Mcdonald did with Ched a couple of years ago? Have to say that I agree with you. IMO Baxter has a huge amount to offer if played in the right position. He can see a pass and could control a lot of our attacking from midfield with a couple of decent wide men and a striker with movement to stretch defences.

Totally agree with this. At the moment NC seems to pick either Baxter or Mcnuts - why not both? I feel a little sorry for MM because if he had Baxter playing behind him I'm sure he'd get many more chances (and he's not doing too bad with the few he gets now).

Back
Top Bottom