Higdon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

@thelane

Reaction score
Got to be the most disappointing signing of recent times.
What on earth has he got to bring to the table?....Porter is better, a sad fact.
We need a new centre forward and soon.
Great win last night.......everybody can see what we need to take us forward.

That's one making the sad realisation. Any more?

I thought he was a mistake since the opening day. I keep saying I'd like to be proved wrong, but I'm struggling to see how that could happen.

He's not as good as Porter, sorry but it's true, I am not accepting fitness now he's been here nearly two months.

A signing to rank alongside Barry Hales and Geoff Horsfield, would not be unhappy if he was despatched in the same way.

Must admit things aren't looking good for Higdon, will he keep getting opportunities whilst putting in these kind of performances?

I thought he'd bring something different to the table...and well, he has...but not in the way I was hoping.

:(

You're right. When he signed it was almost as if messiah had come. Message boards radio phone ins, fans were " over the moon". it was as if the final piece of the promotion jigsaw was in place. I've only seen him once, against Brizzel and he seemed to have a good touch and took his goal well. I go on holiday and when I return he's a complete no hoper.

Why ? How can Nigel's "reading" of a player be so wrong ?

I sincerely hope the lad improves and comes good. Very disappointing

I agree with Cahill. He had a good first half against Bristol C (and looked miles better than Porter then) but since then...well, he drew good saves out of the Coventry and Preston keepers, but that's about all.

I was really pleased with this signing. His recent track record is really good. Can he really be so bad? Let's hope not.

I love it that after less than 5 games he is considered a huge failure despite Clough openly saying he isn't fit and will take time to get match fit. Have patience please!

He isn't Diego Costa but we are in the third tier of English football at the moment!

I love it that after less than 5 games he is considered a huge failure despite Clough openly saying he isn't fit and will take time to get match fit. Have patience please!

He isn't Diego Costa but we are in the third tier of English football at the moment!
5 games and god knows how many training sessions and your saying he's still not fit?? What the fxxk has he been doing for 2 months in training, sat eating Mars bars? Think we just need to realise he's a bad buy.

I really don't understand how a professional footballer can't get fit in 6 weeks. He's had the equivalent of a pre-season and probably better as I'm sure he's had a specific programme given that he was at a different stage to the rest of the squad.

In his defence, I think he's suffering with the team just not gelling attack wise this season and the lack of form of certain players around him. I think he will benefit from Scougs being in the team.

In his defence, I think he's suffering with the team just not gelling attack wise this season and the lack of form of certain players around him. I think he will benefit from Scougs being in the team.

One thing i have noticed is that we never cross the ball in to the box high. It's always cross the six yard line balls or cut backs. I think Higdon's main strength is his aerial ability. He's not a 6yard "fox-in-the-box" player. Maybe the overall tactics and setup of our play doesn't suit him?

He would be better in a 4-4-2 with Murphy or Baxter alongside him.

Actually makes me think it isn't the man up top that's the issue. Perhaps he isn't getting enough chances in the same way Porter never got the chances and pretty much anyone since Ched has struggled. Bearing in mind we paid in excess of £3m for Ched then the expectation is different.

The serious question for me is do we need a man who scores 20 per season as the number 9 or has modern day football changed so that in many cases the goals are shared around more. If it is the latter and Clough is working on that premise it would be better than relying on one bloke who could get injured etc.

As for the fitness issue, leave it out. The blokes not had a great start to his career with us and I am sure everyone hopes that changes soon. If he plays and we win then to be honest I don't care how many he gets.

It's not match fitness thats his problem, it's his general fitness.

The fat scouse lump has had 2 months at SUFC to shift the weight and get his mobility up. Instead it looks like he has been eating lard sandwiches and practising his statue impression.

Also as Edwards and Walker laughed about as he was subbed last night, we don't lose any aerial threat by taking him off because he doesn't have any, he doesn't gamble for the crosses.

Get shut, he's a drain.

I really don't understand how a professional footballer can't get fit in 6 weeks. He's had the equivalent of a pre-season and probably better as I'm sure he's had a specific programme given that he was at a different stage to the rest of the squad.

Agree that fitness should be less of an issue now. I think he's the type of player who needs crosses and lots of movement and pace around him to be effective. At Motherwell he was flanked by quick wingers in Murphy and Humphrey (not at Preston) with Nicky Law also supporting from midfield. Last night we had no wingers and a static midfield, so the setup wasn't ideal.

I think Clough sees him as a nuisance player, one who will bully their defence leaving space for other strikers / midfielders to take advantage of. He's also shown that he's a decent finisher throughout his career given the chances. We've been very lightweight up front in recent seasons and we've seen the likes of Brentford, Wolves getting out of this division with strong powerful strikers.

As I say, I just don't think we've gelled up front yet and I don't think Clough's got an idea at the moment who should play and injuries haven't helped. That's why I'm not convinced that throwing another striker into the mix would definitely improve things, it's not as if Higdon's missing chance after chance. He doesn't, though, look like the kind of player who will fashion chances off his own back a la Ched.

Actually makes me think it isn't the man up top that's the issue. Perhaps he isn't getting enough chances in the same way Porter never got the chances and pretty much anyone since Ched has struggled. Bearing in mind we paid in excess of £3m for Ched then the expectation is different.

The serious question for me is do we need a man who scores 20 per season as the number 9 or has modern day football changed so that in many cases the goals are shared around more. If it is the latter and Clough is working on that premise it would be better than relying on one bloke who could get injured etc.

Ched in his last season made a lot of the goals himself. He worked very hard and chased down lost causes and sometimes took on three or four players before scoring.

Higdon relies on good balls in to feet or head. He's never going to do what Ched did above.

With regards to a "20 goal striker". Look at Chelsea. I think Hazard was their leading scorer last season so no, you don't necessarily need a 20 goal striker as long as the team chips in.

AND... before people start with the "We're not Chelsea" comments. No we're not. But it's all relative and we should be the League 1 equivalent of them, we're big enough.

I have only seen him in the Bristol City game in which he looked much more like what we wanted in the first 45 mins ( straight in the side, scores a goal and even captain - though I never worked that one out) and then looked absolutely knackered and from what I have seen seems to have gone backwards.

I don't know what the problem with him is but something isn't working - fitness/talent/faster pace to the game/wrong system. I read somewhere on here that we seemed to change tactics to accommodate him and that did nothing for our potency up front.

NC must have seen something in him and I truly hope he comes good because we cannot afford the luxury (especially with FPP) of strikers who can only warm the bench and come on for cameos when we are struggling. We only have room for one of those at the most and Porter sounds the better (and cheaper) bet at the moment. So lets hope Higdon finds some willpower, lays off the Mars bars and proves he can be statuesque and not a statue.

I agree with Cahill. He had a good first half against Bristol C (and looked miles better than Porter then) but since then...well, he drew good saves out of the Coventry and Preston keepers, but that's about all.

I was really pleased with this signing. His recent track record is really good. Can he really be so bad? Let's hope not.
My thoughts entirely. Awful right now, but scored shit loads at a higher level over the previous 2 seasons.

Chesterfield fans thought Doyle was wank last seson. They're playing it differently at a higher level this season and look at him go.

I don't think we get enough people in and around the box, often enough, to suit his style. He's definitley not a mobile player, he's a finisher. Without service, or someone to feed off him, he's a waste of a shirt.

UTB

It's not match fitness thats his problem, it's his general fitness.

The fat scouse lump has had 2 months at SUFC to shift the weight and get his mobility up. Instead it looks like he has been eating lard sandwiches and practising his statue impression.

Also as Edwards and Walker laughed about as he was subbed last night, we don't lose any aerial threat by taking him off because he doesn't have any, he doesn't gamble for the crosses.

Get shut, he's a drain.

If you watch footage of Higdon when he was banging them in at a rate of more thas a goal a game, he wasn't mobile and looked just like he does now. It's not just about fitness, of that I'm sure.

UTB

Really don't know about Higdon. I thought he was good against Bristol City chased down some lost causes, taken off to a good reception and instead of building on that he seems to have stalled. His body language last night was appalling and he seems to not have the confidence of the other players as scoogs did when he came on. He never seems to want to come near post to challenge the keeper when a cross is coming in. I thought he might do the "Billy Whitehurst" role ie frighten the opposition keeper, really let him know he is there on crosses even if he doesn't score himself but he never challenged the keeper once last night
I agree with others he is never going to make chances for himself so he needs to play in a 4-4-2
I hope he does come good as I never like to see a scapegoat and he was certainly not the only player who didn't perform at least for 80 minutes last night

Really don't know about Higdon. I thought he was good against Bristol City chased down some lost causes, taken off to a good reception and instead of building on that he seems to have stalled. His body language last night was appalling and he seems to not have the confidence of the other players as scoogs did when he came on. He never seems to want to come near post to challenge the keeper when a cross is coming in. I thought he might do the "Billy Whitehurst" role ie frighten the opposition keeper, really let him know he is there on crosses even if he doesn't score himself but he never challenged the keeper once last night
I agree with others he is never going to make chances for himself so he needs to play in a 4-4-2
I hope he does come good as I never like to see a scapegoat and he was certainly not the only player who didn't perform at least for 80 minutes last night

Here he is. Billy Big Blade hahaha :D

I agree with Alco. I have looked at his goals and for a big man he seems mobile and scored a fair proportion of headers. At the moment he seems to be struggling to get of the ground. There must be something wrong either at the club or in his home life? He seemed in the videos to be a tough no nonsense type of centre forward who would stick his nut in. He is far from that atm.
This is where NC earns his money. we need to get this sorted fast.

Just proves that when you pay a fee it doesn't guarantee quality. JCR on the other hand looked excellent on Saturday.

With Higdon though he looked decent yet unfit v Brizzle, so the potential is there at least.

Personally though I think McNulty on Saturday looked like he could be the goal scorer we need. His positioning looks good but he needs a run of games to allow those around him to see the runs and start playing the right balls for him

I think it's more down to a confidence issue, now. Strikers need to feel confident to perform - he just needs a lucky break or two and then you might see him score a few goals in consecutive matches. A goal or two will do his confidence a world of good and then he will look a bit more mobile and gamble for chances that he just seems to let go by at the moment - just like buses - they all seem to come at once.

As for the fitness issue, leave it out. The blokes not had a great start to his career with us and I am sure everyone hopes that changes soon. If he plays and we win then to be honest I don't care how many he gets.

Should be sharing the goals around PLUS a 20+ striker..

That's where your cash should be spent.

Back
Top Bottom