Higdon.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Higdon is a certain type of striker and he will be good at what he does when he gets his match fitness sorted.

What he won't do is run the channels or even run the line. He's a relatively static target man who knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball before he gets it. His touch on the ball is very good and his skill in the air is exceptional both in and out of the box.

When he gets good service into the box he will use his height and weight and experience to bully defenders. Once he has won his ground he knows how to find the spaces out of the reach of the keeper, he's not one of those strikers who just heads for goal and hopes for the best, like many forwards. Fans should support the man for what he is and not hope for a pacey youngster. During the season Higdon's strength will be needed and it is not his fault that we do not have a pacey striker on the books. Perhaps we'll sign one soon.

This is my view after watching him in 3 games and observing his career goals and record. Not a lot but enough.

I've seen him run the channels and move around a lot more at Motherwell. To be honest I think he's doing exactly what he's being told to do....stay central and occupy certain positions in certain phases of play. He's also taking a lot of stick for it.

What football supporters don't take into account is that players often have instructions to follow as well. They can't always simply charge about and challenge for every single ball.

No, he's quite a bit better.

Needs his fitness back and, as above, would 'look' more the part if he was running channels more like at Mwell. Currently he's not fit and he's told to stay central.

Not sure how much getting his fitness back will help him, he never jumps for a ball, wins the header and was the only player in the starting XI who contributed very little to us achieving a point yesterday. In comparison, McNulty who was on the pitch for 12 minutes, did more in that time than Higdon's 78. At least he hassled opponents, chased balls down and even for a small lad won headers, etc.

I really do hope Higdon proves me wrong this season but the signs aren't looking good. That's why it is imperative that we sign at least one or two strikers this transfer window. Especially now Baxter has found his position in a deep laying playmaker role and should not be used any further up the pitch. If Baxter can improve his stamina and fitness for 90 mins in a central midfield role, he will be one of main players firing us up to the championship.

Higdon is a certain type of striker and he will be good at what he does when he gets his match fitness sorted.

What he won't do is run the channels or even run the line. He's a relatively static target man who knows exactly what he wants to do with the ball before he gets it. His touch on the ball is very good and his skill in the air is exceptional both in and out of the box.

When he gets good service into the box he will use his height and weight and experience to bully defenders. Once he has won his ground he knows how to find the spaces out of the reach of the keeper, he's not one of those strikers who just heads for goal and hopes for the best, like many forwards. Fans should support the man for what he is and not hope for a pacey youngster. During the season Higdon's strength will be needed and it is not his fault that we do not have a pacey striker on the books. Perhaps we'll sign one soon.

This is my view after watching him in 3 games and observing his career goals and record. Not a lot but enough.
Lot of ifs buts and maybes in there WWF ?

I guess we will see.

UTB

5 goals in 5 games is poor - and only 4 Div 1 teams have scored less. We are crying out for a pacey and powerful striker who can run at defences and create his own chances.

Not sure how much getting his fitness back will help him, he never jumps for a ball, wins the header and was the only player in the starting XI who contributed very little to us achieving a point yesterday. In comparison, McNulty who was on the pitch for 12 minutes, did more in that time than Higdon's 78. At least he hassled opponents, chased balls down and even for a small lad won headers, etc.

I really do hope Higdon proves me wrong this season but the signs aren't looking good. That's why it is imperative that we sign at least one or two strikers this transfer window. Especially now Baxter has found his position in a deep laying playmaker role and should not be used any further up the pitch. If Baxter can improve his stamina and fitness for 90 mins in a central midfield role, he will be one of main players firing us up to the championship.

Agreed. Didn't go yesterday but In other games, he has looked woefully short and I would also prefer it if he started on the bench to come on and try to influence the game in the last 20 mins or so.

Impossible to agree with OP in that there have been no signs whatsoever of a good 1st touch and far from exceptional in the air so far !

UTB

I'm not going to repeat the words that came into my head when you put that,lets just say i absolutely disagree.The records speak for themselves,Higdon scoring his goals at a lot higher standard than Porter for a start.
And yet just 1 goal in Div 3 thus far kind of proves a point that having a decent record in previous years doesn't disguise the fact that the player does not look very good in said division in 2014/2015.

If Higdon has been signed on the basis of his prior track record rather than an up to date and thorough assessment of his standards AS OF NOW then the club may have made a big mistake.

And yet just 1 goal in Div 3 thus far kind of proves a point that having a decent record in previous years doesn't disguise the fact that the player does not look very good in said division in 2014/2015.

If Higdon has been signed on the basis of his prior track record rather than an up to date and thorough assessment of his standards AS OF NOW then the club may have made a big mistake.
Give the lad a chance,Ffs.Porter has ran out of all of his lives twice over:rolleyes:

I'm not going to repeat the words that came into my head when you put that,lets just say i absolutely disagree.The records speak for themselves,Higdon scoring his goals at a lot higher standard than Porter for a start.

Question Wiz and for all the others asking that he be given sufficient time ( or words to that effect).

Just exactly how much is sufficient time ?

10 games ?

40 ?

We need to get out of this fucking division NOW and carrying a main striker all season who is little more than excessive baggage ATM just does not wash with moi.

Didn't hear the radio commentary but Keith Edwards, who I would like to assume is a reasonable judge of a striker , in yesterday's commentary just about managed to stop short of labelling Higdon Shite in his assessment of his performance yesterday.

Open your eyes. See it for what it really is and try and understand that a footballer can only dine out on past glories for so long.

Higdons free lunches are fast running out !!

UTB

Very true Dronnie.

Clough would love that. Finding that man is another thing (Ched responses not required).

Question Wiz and for all the others asking that he be given sufficient time ( or words to that effect).

10 games ?

40 ?

We need to get out of this fucking division NOW and carrying a main striker all season who is little more than excessive baggage ATM just does not wash with moi.

Didn't hear the radio commentary but Keith Edwards, who I would like to assume is a reasonable judge of a striker , in yesterday's commentary just about managed to stop short of labelling Higdon Shite in his assessment of his performance yesterday.

Open your eyes. See it for what it really is and try and understand that a footballer can only dine out on past glories for so long.

UTB
I can see something in Higdon for the long run,that's why i'm saying give him time,how much time is down to Clough really,not me.Anyway,back to the original point,and talking about sufficient time,i'd say Porter has had sufficient time,87 games worth,with just less than a 1 in 6 goal ratio,so on that point alone with Higdon having a 1 in 5 ratio:DI'd say my eyes were wide open mate.

10 games ?

40 ?

UTB

....and Keith was labelled lazy in his day. But he sure knew where t' goal was!

5 goals in 5 games is poor - and only 4 Div 1 teams have scored less. We are crying out for a pacey and powerful striker who can run at defences and create his own chances.

We've played 3 teams that will probably finish in the top six. Two of them could quite easily win the league and we've scored against them all. The defeat to Coventry was poor but other than that, we've done ok. A draw against Bristol C would've been the fair result

Clearly IMO, Higdon is not "match fit" and his current touch is terrible. However, we must remember that he didn't have a "pre-season" and he is on a par with the guys that did with say the "friendly" at Northampton, where his team-mates were woeful.

Give him time, and hopefully he will come good.

I'm not disagreeing with you but how much do you think one of those will cost? Name one that would want to play in this league!

The guy always looks to be 3 weeks away from fitness to me. I've got no problem with him not running the channels and to be used as an old fashioned target man but he doesn't exactly bust a gut to win headers. His feet haven't left the ground yet this season! He does have a great touch though :)

Higdon's control must have been immaculate yesterday because a few have said he's got a great touch and yet against Crawley he had the subtle close control of a brick wall.

Should have had a hat trick looking at the highlights
Wasnt the only one without his shooting boots on though
Positives were a class goal from jose and top draw wing play from jcr

It'd be interesting to know how Clough sees his role for us. Does he expect him to simply be a goal getter? A lot of his goals for Motherwell seemed to come from crosses and cutbacks from wide areas - are we going to attempt to get the ball wide and get plenty of crosses in? If so, you would hope that Higdon would score plenty over the course of a season.

Reading opinions on here, it seems most don't rate his hold up play which is disappointing. I was hoping he would link our counter attacks together and that Murphy, Flynn, JCR etc. would be able to make runs off him to receive the ball.

The Emperor's New Clothes are looking lovely today!

Seriously, he might well prove to be, but I ain't seen it yet.

yes, seriously he hasn't been good, but the question was " Porter is better" - people need sectioning for suggesting such drivel.

Porter was signed before we knew about Mcnulty and Higdon, otherwise Porter probably wouldn't be at the club.
As for Higdon, clearly not fit. In Holland they play 4-3-3 so the fella is having to get used to a different style, at a different club whilst at the same time trying to get match fit.

He needs a bit of time - as how much, who knows. Only playing 1 up front is putting too much pressure on a lone striker - the system is dependent on the 5 in midfield doing their bit - at the moment they are going .....................very little....apart from Baxter.

UTB

I was fed up listening to people slagging him off yesterday. They were on his back from the first time he mis-controlled the ball and certain supporters seemed to take exception to him not chasing down the full backs.

He's clearly been detailed to stay central which at the very least occupies the centre halves so that they can't push up. I don't think football fans are bright enough to take the tactical side into account when they start criticising players for being "too static" as someone put it.

Back
Top Bottom