Hello from Colchester

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ColUDave

Reaction score
Hello Blades fans,

Hope all is well. Thought I would pop my head above the parapet to see if anyone needs any parking or pub info?

Think its your first visit to the Weston Homes Soulless Stadium too, isn't it?

I have made the blog previews bigger and better and will pop back and forward with some questions for you all to answer for me!

It is our first visit, yes :) Quite looking forward to it although I liked Layer Road!

I'm aiming to park a mile or so away from the ground and walk it... any recommendations? I was looking at Newcomen Way or Brunel Way as a decent place.

Parking and ale houses please Dave. As near as possible to the ground and serving real ale. Bricklayers looks like the best bet? Someone was saying that it might be home fans only though. Can you shed any light Dave?

edit: definately not letting away fans in. They've even got doorman on. Any chance of us getting a decent pint somewhere?

ColUDave,

Not going to the match but I wonder if your new ground has undersoil heating? Weather forecast suggesting that it will be very cold this weekend

Ol I cannot believe the Bricklayers are not allowing away fans. The landlord is a pillock. He even closed on Boxing Day which is traditionally the biggest gates we get at home! Absolute kn*b jockey. You can either pretend to be from Essex and speak with plastic cockney accents or go elsewhere because there literally are no other real ale pubs the stadium side of town.

If you think back to Scunny's ground when it was first built, its just like that. Out of town, soulless, characterless, just crap pretty much. I mean there is regeneration work going in up there, but it wont be ready for a few years. It so frustrating when Layer Road, despite being a complete and utter dump had so many decent amenities and was close to the town.

For Real Ale the closest real decent pub is the Fat Cat. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=fat+cat+colchester&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=fat+cat&hnear=0x47d8e24e12f62f05:0x175d5f1c455091de,Colchester,+Essex&cid=17661576723730982190 There is a big public car park just up the road from there (Butt Road, near Layer Rd). The local Wetherspoons "The Playhouse" is also just inside the town centre and is about a 10 minute walk from the car park. Next to that is the Fox and Fiddler which is a real ale pub, but it is the favourite pub of the paras who can get a bit funny...

The closest pub to the ground which should let away fans in is the Dog and Pheasant. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=4466821871842086945&q=dog+and+pheasant+colchester&ved=0CCwQ-gswAA&sa=X&ei=CBwnT76wM4iZjwf8rtlZ&sig2=OElIl5r0v4d7GbhKxzZY8w Not sure what beers they do to be honest as do not venture there as I stay in the town. They have a small parking area at the rear and there is street parking in Defoe Crescent, just up the road if you cannot get in the car park. There are stewards manning the entry to request you to not park there, but they cannot physically stop you due to it being a freeway... To55ers. Be warned that the locals down that end of town are a miserable lot and do not always like people parking down there. Heard a story of a car being keyed, but my friend regularly parks down their without issue. Its about a 15 minute walk to the stadium too.

In terms of paying for parking. Rapid Electronics is cheap as chips and a 15 minute walk from the ground. Once you take the stadium junction instead of heading to the stadium, head left down axial way and Rapid is on the corner of the business park. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=rapid+electronics+colchester&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=rapid+electronics&hnear=0x47d8e24e12f62f05:0x175d5f1c455091de,Colchester,+Essex&cid=0,0,9054765470852253679&ei=MBsnT4iWCYWP0AW7iJHOCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&ved=0CBEQ_BI

Parking at the ground costs £6 but I am reliably informed that it is nearly full now. There is other companies that allow parking but they are expensive. Please do not park anywhere on the access roads to the station. The jobworths come out in force to ticket everyone that does.

Any one coming from the station then the Norfolk is the closest pub, take a right out of the station, under the bridge and across the road at the traffic lights. Proceed down North Station Road and the Norfolk is on your right. It has Sky, Pool table and has your fizzy water, not so sure on real ale however.

We have buses which run people back and forth to near the stadium at Bruff Close. It costs £1.50 and is a quick an efficient service. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=bruff+close+colchester&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=IhsnT93DHqbB0QWGiaDOCg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=3&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAg

Hope those bloody links work. Everything is a bit tinpot at the moment. One last thing is the prices of food and drink inside the ground are poor. We have complained big time and club are looking at alternatives for next season. So apologies in advance for that!

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

ColUDave,

Not going to the match but I wonder if your new ground has undersoil heating? Weather forecast suggesting that it will be very cold this weekend

We do not have it as it ruins the grass. I am reliably informed from those in the know, that despite the snow the temperatures are not set to dip below - 1 at night this week.

Mind you it was a bit below that this afternoon, but I have just got home from playing football and it is warmer this evening than it has been in the day. We will have the covers on and despite the snow forecasted for this week they will do everything in their power to make sure it goes ahead. Our head groundsman does a brilliant job, so hope all will be ok.

Hopefully we wont do an MK Dons (against Carlisle) and let SUFC know before its too late. I will keep popping back and forth to let you know if there is any doubt. I know quite a few people at the club so will be well placed to advise if there are any problems.

Thanks for info Dave. Really appreciated. Definately owe you a beer. Hope we can catch up with you at some point and buy you one.

We're coming in a minibus and expecting to arrive at 1pm-ish. The driver kindly says he is willing to park up somewhere for an hour, so we can have a beer, then head up to the ground. We were looking at the Fat Cat, Hole in the Wall or Odd One Out. All seem decent ale houses with parking. Couple of swift real ale's and then up to the ground. Sounds like Fat Cat might be the best one from your post. My only hesitation is that the reviews on the pu guide said the beer was not great, but fuck it they could just be being snobby.

The guy I spoke to on the phone at the Bricklayer's (presumably the landlord) was a condescening arsehole. He took great pleasure in telling me that doormen would not be allowing away fans in whilst still patronisingly calling me sir. He even threw in a bit of sarcasm when I said I was surprised that they were not going to let United fans in.

Looking forward to the game now. Hope it goes ahead. Minus 2 forecasted for Thursday and Friday night and 1 degrees on Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Echoing Highbury and Olle, thanks Dave. Only been to Colchester once before, that was for the Twenty20 cricket and I got royally hammered in the sun. Great day out.

He even threw in a bit of sarcasm when I said I was surprised that they were not going to let United fans in.

Would it be condecending of me to say that they are letting United Fans in .......... Colchester United Fans ..... :p

Also Dave, thanks, we were heading for Layer Road :rolleyes:

My only visit to Colchester was in 4th Division, the match we lost 5-1 (or 5-2) - Keith Edwards scored and we were on MOTD
The team wore Colchester's red away shirts for some odd reason. Maybe we forgot to pack our own.
I remember it being a fair walk from the station and the coppers were none too friendly.
After getting out of the ground I asked a plod if he could get Radio 5 on his walkie talkie for the rest of the scores and he just scowled at me and retorted, No, but I can get the fucking station on it if you fancy going there." ......Nice.

Thanks for info Dave. Really appreciated. Definately owe you a beer. Hope we can catch up with you at some point and buy you one.

We're coming in a minibus and expecting to arrive at 1pm-ish. The driver kindly says he is willing to park up somewhere for an hour, so we can have a beer, then head up to the ground. We were looking at the Fat Cat, Hole in the Wall or Odd One Out. All seem decent ale houses with parking. Couple of swift real ale's and then up to the ground. Sounds like Fat Cat might be the best one from your post. My only hesitation is that the reviews on the pu guide said the beer was not great, but fuck it they could just be being snobby.

The guy I spoke to on the phone at the Bricklayer's (presumably the landlord) was a condescening arsehole. He took great pleasure in telling me that doormen would not be allowing away fans in whilst still patronisingly calling me sir. He even threw in a bit of sarcasm when I said I was surprised that they were not going to let United fans in.

Looking forward to the game now. Hope it goes ahead. Minus 2 forecasted for Thursday and Friday night and 1 degrees on Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed.

The Fat Cat is best option parking wise, I read the guide about the beer there too and was a little bit surprised. There is actually quite a few U's fans that use the Fat Cat as there is a shuttle bus taking fans to the ground and back to the pub afterwards. Only trouble is on the way back you have to wait a bit longer for the buses to come as the others go to the station first. The Oddy is a really decent Real Ale pub, but the streets surrounding it lack the parking spaces. There is a lot of permit parking down there, but I am sure on weekends you can stick your motor there for a couple of hours. Its trying to find a space which could be a problem!

Forget about the Hole in the Wall, traditional old pub which my old man reckons has been taken over recently. I always used to avoid it like the plague because it used to be where all the gothic and emo lot hung out and frankly they just worried me a bit. I highly doubt you will get a mini bus in St Mary's car park which is just across the way either as the parking spaces in that place are tighter than a nuns crack!

The landlord of the Bricks is well known for being a complete and utter ar5e and he has lived up to it there. Blades and Colchester have no history whatsoever and nowadays we are a friendly club to visit with our idiot bunch all banned or no longer interested! He is just turning down the chance to make extra cash. He is well known for hating football and if he had it his way he wouldn't let any football fans in!

"Balham Blade said:
Echoing Highbury and Olle, thanks Dave. Only been to Colchester once before, that was for the Twenty20 cricket and I got royally hammered in the sun. Great day out.
Castle Park cricket is excellent, my mate plays for Colchester seconds and they do a great barbeque and decently priced beer too. The festival when Essex play is usually a cracking atmosphere!

Worksop II said:
Also Dave, thanks, we were heading for Layer Road
Very sad sight these days, it looked crap when we played there, but its just been left to rot nowadays. Being demolished soon to make way for sheltered accomodation. So many memories of that hovel gone in an instant. Apparently there will be a memorial plaque to remind people of the old girl!

2ndtenorblade said:
We are thinking of driving and parking at the Nolfolk then getting the bus from Bruff Close.

Norfolk looks good on official site
I would strongly advise giving them a call to make sure you can park round the back pal. Despite it being a car park for the pub, they have residents parking for the houses next to the pub and have clamping warnings. I know my mate occasionally parks in there for games and has never had any trouble, but always lived by being better safe than sorry. Unlike the Bricklayers, Norfolk has got a decent bunch behind it with your usual selection of lagers. I used to drink in there last season, but since the Wig and Pen went up market in the town centre I stick to the River Lodge http://www.theriverlodge.co.uk/ who apparently have draught Real Ale, but I can't remember seeing it in there seeing I stick to the fizzy water haha! There is an NCP car park next to the Lodge or you can stick a car down Victoria Chase for a couple of hours and wander down. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=victoria+chase+colchester&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47d9045936674e5b:0xd1e3931115721039,Victoria+Chase,+Colchester+CO1+1&gl=uk&ei=-ZAoT_axGoiY8gOMzaXUAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCIQ8gEwAA About 5 minute walk and the pub for some reason isnt on the map, but is next door to Trotters Wine Bar. Usually book a taxi to get to the ground if someone is not driving. Usually a group of us so costs the same as the buses.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 AM ----------

My only visit to Colchester was in 4th Division, the match we lost 5-1 (or 5-2) - Keith Edwards scored and we were on MOTD
The team wore Colchester's red away shirts for some odd reason. Maybe we forgot to pack our own.
I remember it being a fair walk from the station and the coppers were none too friendly.
After getting out of the ground I asked a plod if he could get Radio 5 on his walkie talkie for the rest of the scores and he just scowled at me and retorted, No, but I can get the fucking station on it if you fancy going there." ......Nice.

Nice to see Essex OB haven't changed a bit! Not quite as bad as the Thames Valley Paramilitary Police though. They are are properly over the top! We used to have a thing with Wycombe back in the conference days which has pretty much died now, but try telling the cops that. Complete overkill!

Hi ColUDave.

Can I just say that I think this interraction with 'other' supporters is great? We had a Walsall fan on here - RugbySaddler - earlier this season who came in a similar, helpful way.

Perhaps this is the way forward? Real ale and friendly banter! Unfortunately there are people like this Bricklayers landlord and a lot of cops on match duty who seem determined for it not to happen.

Last Saturday, as usual, SYPD's Finest again let 4k + mostly pissed-up Brummies pour out onto the streets at full time - right into many women, kids etc. who were leaving the ground. I suppose it justifies their overtime if a few innocents get smacked...

United's shirts had advertising, which was not allowed to be shown on TV at the time...

United's shirts had advertising, which was not allowed to be shown on TV at the time...

For details, see Ballinpigpubs signature. Pic of said away shirt included with advertising! :)

Wouldn't have been Radio 5 it didn't exist in the eighties.

Fat Cat is looking good then. Any chance you'll be able to pop down and join us Dave? Beers on Highbury* ;)

* owes me loads of pints for Beattie being a flop

I would strongly advise giving them a call to make sure you can park round the back pal. Despite it being a car park for the pub, they have residents parking for the houses next to the pub and have clamping warnings. I know my mate occasionally parks in there for games and has never had any trouble, but always lived by being better safe than sorry.

Cheers again Dave, I gave them a call and there are no problems with parking, thanks

Hi Guys...
FYI... The Norfolk will prob be the designated "away pub" for sat it has SKY sports/Pool table etc ... however...
the Norfolk is not noted as a real ale pub in town. The other pubs mentioned "Odd one out, Hole in the Wall and Fat Cat are further away across the other side of town.
There is a nice pub called The Victoria Inn, North Station Road, CO1 1RB
www.victoriainncolchester.co.uk
It is only 5 mins walk from the bus service to the ground. No TV or Pool table... However..
It serves good beer via sparklers/creamers (as the landlord and landlady are from gods own county ) real cider too!!
A limited amount of free parking is available on a pre booked basis.
Ring on 01206 514510 after 12 noon to book.
The Victoria is frequented by Col UTD real ale fans who are a friendly bunch and Blades of a similar persuasion would be most welcome.
See you in there for a pre match pint.
UTB

Hi Guys...
FYI... The Norfolk will prob be the designated "away pub" for sat it has SKY sports/Pool table etc ... however...
the Norfolk is not noted as a real ale pub in town. The other pubs mentioned "Odd one out, Hole in the Wall and Fat Cat are further away across the other side of town.
There is a nice pub called The Victoria Inn, North Station Road, CO1 1RB
www.victoriainncolchester.co.uk

It is only 5 mins walk from the bus service to the ground. No TV or Pool table... However..
It serves good beer via sparklers/creamers (as the landlord and landlady are from gods own county ) real cider too!!
A limited amount of free parking is available on a pre booked basis.
Ring on 01206 514510 after 12 noon to book.
The Victoria is frequented by Col UTD real ale fans who are a friendly bunch and Blades of a similar persuasion would be most welcome.
See you in there for a pre match pint.
UTB

Thank you for that, have spoken to the Landlady and landlord and we discerning beer drinking Blades will be more than welcome. So The Victoria it is.

grafikhaus said:
Can I just say that I think this interraction with 'other' supporters is great? We had a Walsall fan on here - RugbySaddler - earlier this season who came in a similar, helpful way.

Perhaps this is the way forward? Real ale and friendly banter! Unfortunately there are people like this Bricklayers landlord and a lot of cops on match duty who seem determined for it not to happen.

Last Saturday, as usual, SYPD's Finest again let 4k + mostly pissed-up Brummies pour out onto the streets at full time - right into many women, kids etc. who were leaving the ground. I suppose it justifies their overtime if a few innocents get smacked...

Yeah I have come across a decent Walsall fan, going to sink a pint with a fellow Dave next weekend in the supporters bar at the Bescott. But you are absolutely right there is no reason why fans cannot get along with each other!

Ollessendro said:
Fat Cat is looking good then. Any chance you'll be able to pop down and join us Dave? Beers on Highbury*

* owes me loads of pints for Beattie being a flop
If you go to the Victoria as mentioned above then I will come an join you as it is next door to where I usually drink. Fat Cat is wrong side of town for me though unfortunately.

Anyhow chaps, wondering if a few of you could do me a favour and answer 10 questions for my Blog Preview?

1) The Blades are riding high in the league and are looking good for promotion. Are you happy with the way things have gone so far?

2) There was a bit of discontent amongst the Blades when Danny Wilson was appointed manager having played and managed your major rivals. Has he grown on you and are you happy with the job he is doing?

3) How would you describe your current style of football, and are you happy with it?

4) Who has been your key man this season?

5) Are you pleased with the way the Transfer Window went? Are there any areas of the squad you would have liked to have seen strengthened?

6) Which team has impressed you most in League 1 this season?

7) What is your perception of Colchester United as a club?

8) What do you think the score will be, and scorers (if any)?

9) Which three teams do you think will get promoted this season?

10) Who do you think will go down?

Cheers in advance

1) The Blades are riding high in the league and are looking good for promotion. Are you happy with the way things have gone so far?

2) There was a bit of discontent amongst the Blades when Danny Wilson was appointed manager having played and managed your major rivals. Has he grown on you and are you happy with the job he is doing?

3) How would you describe your current style of football, and are you happy with it?

5) Are you pleased with the way the Transfer Window went? Are there any areas of the squad you would have liked to have seen strengthened?

Cheers in advance

1. Too fucking right.
2. You betcha.
3. Anti Hoof. Delighted.
4. Kevin McDonald.
5. NO. Monty remains poncing wads of money out of the club.
6. Huddersfield.
7. Tidy but slightly insignificant (except for that time they beat Leeds in the cup, Crawford for president)
8. 0-2 Evans and OG
9. Charlton, Sheffield United and Huddersfield
10. No idea. If we're still in this league next season and we re-structure again . . . . .

Yeah I have come across a decent Walsall fan, going to sink a pint with a fellow Dave next weekend in the supporters bar at the Bescott. But you are absolutely right there is no reason why fans cannot get along with each other!

If you go to the Victoria as mentioned above then I will come an join you as it is next door to where I usually drink. Fat Cat is wrong side of town for me though unfortunately.

Anyhow chaps, wondering if a few of you could do me a favour and answer 10 questions for my Blog Preview?

Cheers in advance

I am one of the few who thought we would be doing better (perhaps the only one!). On the whole though, I am reasonably happy.

Yes and yes.

Quite fluid, though penetration can be a problem (oo err missis). Generally happy.

Ched Evans

Yes - we were hoping not to lose players and didn't. Some defensive strengthening would have been nice.

Charlton.

Not a lot I am afraid. Like most lower division clubs, they wern't really on our radar until this season. Sorry to be a (relative) big club patroniser!

I reckon 2-0 to us. Evans and Hoskins.

Charlton, United and Huddersfield

It looks very tight down theer, but your lot should be safe :)

Yes, with the slight qualification that we seem to be turning into flat-track bullies. Win at the Galpharm or Hillsborough though and I'm sold.

Yes. I think a lot of the discontent was that his recent record wasn't good enough to blot out the errors on his CV: his spells with Hartlepool and Swindon were hardly successful. However, he's approaching games the right way, we're not hearing the same excuses to the media post games and he's given the players their belief back. One thumb up from me at the moment; as noted above, if we win at the Galpharm and/or Hillsborough it'll be both.

Tiki-taka, only with English technique. Perhaps a little one-paced but on the whole, it's good to watch. Kevin McDonald is the key man to all this.

4) Who have been your key men this season?
Ched Evans and Neill Collins share this, with McDonald coming in closely behind. Collins has given the defence leadership and solidity, McDonald gives the midfield guile and the ability to pick a pass and Evans has looked a striker reborn.

I'd like to have seen a pacey striker in permanently but Hoskins on loan is a decent signing. Aside from that, creative back-up to McDonald would have been good but overall it was a novelty to come out of a transfer window with the squad arguably strengthened for once.

Stevenage - overachieving considering their budget and beating our neighbours 5-1 topped that off

Good, old-fashioned small town club with the right attitude. Moving to the Weston Community Stadium was a bit of a surprise and I think it sums up my opinion that the only fault I can find is with your choice of shirts!

United to win 2-0, Evans with both.

Charlton, United, Huddersfield

Chester-vegas, Wycombe, Scunthorpe and Exeter. Wild guesses for the last two as I haven't looked at that end of the table!

Cheers in advance
No worries, happy to help!

Cheers in advance

1. Better than anyone could have imagined after last seasons debacle
2. Definitely, quietly gone about his business and done a magnificent job to date
3. Easy on the eye although I think we overplay it occasionally, but the style is clear to see and I like it
4. Ched Evans
5. We didn't lose anyone and made a couple of additions, it's been years since we were able to say that about the JTW so I'm delighted. Would have liked to have seen another winger and some cover at centre half though
6. Stevenage - they've been the surprise package for me as well
7. A small family orientated club, though I loved it when you smashed Norwich in their own back yard, temporarily stopped the arrogant chirping in Norfolk!
8. I think we will see goals, I am going to vouch for 2-0 to the Blades
9. Charlton, Blades, MK Dons
10. Wycombe, Scunthorpe, Yeovil and Walsall (I think Chesterfield will survive by the skin of their teeth)

Mightily.

He was my pick from the start. The dissenters were louder than they were numerous.

Passing football, nicely balanced with the needs of the division.

Ched Evans for his goals (by a nose from Neil Collins for his surprising competence).

Please not to sell, but I'd have liked more pace and width to be found.

Charlton - cannot argue with the table.

A proper old-school small(er) town club, albeit with an incongruously shiny new ground.

2-1 to the visitors - Evans is due a goal.

Charlton Hudders and err... Colchester United. :)

Yeovil, Wycombe, Rochdale, Exeter.

Alright Dave,

Heres my responses:

Yeah, we're right amongst it where we should be. I've been surprised by the gulf in quality between the teams in the top 8 and the teams below. JTW has passed by without the annual departure of a star player

It was never the rivalry issue for me. It was his poor record, we weren't moving forward. He really has grown on me, lots of work to do still this season. Never thought I'd say this but he's managed to get the team playing decent football, but most importantly being effective and getting the results. Not really seen so much of the kids coming through. The key with Wilson will be how he manages if we don't go up (there will be a fire sale) or when we go up how he copes against a vastly superior quality in the Championship

Free flowing football. Very happy, but lots of improvement can be made. We still seem vulnerable against physical teams which is worrying. I don't think anyone in this League could match us for passing football this season, but against bit teams we struggle.

A number of them. Many of the flops from last year have stepped up to the plate. Simmonson, Quinn, Doyle, Williamson and Ched have all had excellent spells, Macca is growing into the Central ball playing slot. But Collins has probably been the most consistent performer. A rock at the back

Very. Injected a different option up front in Hoskins, tied BT down until the end of the season, let a few youngsters out on loan, but most importantly we haven't sold the family silver this year.

Huddersfield stand out in some ways. MK Dons are dark horses, Charlton are professional. Wednesday are just down right thugs. Other than that, not much to be overly impressed with.

Small club that turned Wednesday over a few seasons ago. Honestly don't know much about them

We're on the rebound from losing to Charlton away and a pummelling in the FA cup. Barring late injuries then we should have a settle side. I expect us to approach this one like Bury away - Professional, organised, no panic, just play our game and the goals will come

0-2 Blades - Evans and Hoskins

Blades, Huddersfield and Stevenage/ MK Dons

Chesterfield. Not really sure who else is down there.

Back
Top Bottom