Hartlepool v Second stringers.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
Well that was a game of two halves and one that in fairness I wish I hadn't bothered with.

We started off really brightly and in all fairness we could and should have had a few early on from McNulty and Woolford. The team as a whole were lively and in typical Adkins style we went at them early looking to get the early goal and we did through Flynn. After that we had more chances but didn't really do much with them and you have to give a great deal of credit to the Pools keeper who I thought was excellent.

Second half was a bit like watching a United of last season at times. We started a bit slower and we allowed Hartlepool to get a foothold back in the game, over the course of the second half they probably deserved the goal as well.

It we would have played like we did in the opening 20 minutes throughout the game then we would have romped them off the park but the game calmed down when he should have been going for the kill. The players on that pitch tonight should have ambitions to be more than a "Second String JPT XI", the first team are doing great in the league and it will take some stand out performance to win a first team shirt and for me not many did much to give Adkins food for thought.

We have some quality players in that first XI but we also need the same level of quality to fall back and call upon when we need them. That performance didn't inspire confidence that we have quality in abundance waiting in the wings. Obviously I had this on my mind knowing that we didn't bring anyone in today and that probably contributes to why I felt that way.

I really hope they prove me wrong but equally I hope we use this loan window wisely as well. I thought we had shipped out all of the dead wood but I think we still have a few players who are surplus to requirements and therefore should be allowed to leave to free up wages!

The thing is with 2nd elevens is when there are so many changes to the core of the side it is difficult to get an understanding with the other fringe players unless youre playing regularly together
As an example I would say McNulty would play better with Sharp and Sammon rather than Higdon same with Kennedy better with Collins or Edgar rather than McGahey
I didnt go tonight and know Edwards was very critical of some of the fringe players and can understand some of his comments when players didnt seem to make the effort to impress

I don't get any pleasure in ranting either, I like to see the positives as and when I can but at times tonight gave me uncomfortable flashbacks to the era before this in which we had mediocre players who appeared clueless. Thankfully we have improved the squad with some much needed quality and for this reason I expect us to do well in the league this year but I would like to see a bit more and I would also be more than happy to let a few go out on loan in this window as well as they aren't good enough and are just stealing a wage.

lets face it we had the weaker geese and stragglers flying the flag tonight and has been pointed ouyt players who rarely figure so lacking in match readyness
but we got through
only 5 wins from a trophy
, oooh be still my beating heart

The pleasing thing is that many of that team we had out tonight were first choices this time last season. Alcock, McGahey, and Higdon were all starting every week with the likes of Ben Davies and Mucheal Doyle also being in there too. We have defintely improved since then

The pleasing thing is that many of that team we had out tonight were first choices this time last season. Alcock, McGahey, and Higdon were all starting every week with the likes of Ben Davies and Mucheal Doyle also being in there too. We have defintely improved since then

Definitely and although I have my own low opinions on Clough and his tactics and formations and stuff (which remain the same might I add), it is also really apparent to me now that the players at his disposal weren't up to much either. If anything we have to draw some serious positives from that because this squad that we have now are head shoulders above what we saw last season. The quality that we have brought in speaks for itself but we have also seen a few players improve under new leadership as well. If that lot got us as close as they did last season then you can only hope that this squad can go one better.

Back
Top Bottom