Happy Play-Off Final Defeat Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeterNdlovu081

COCK PISS PARTRIDGE
Reaction score
26 May 1997

article-1233913-07825761000005DC-984_468x361.jpg

26 May 2003

play-off-final-4x367-833314_478x359.jpg

26 May 2012

1643493367.jpg

What the fuck is wrong with this football club?

After Preston's success, don't we have the worst play off record in the league now? At least it shows that the past means nothing if you have the right team.

How about a thread of pictures from every Play Off Final defeat, starting with Bristol City and including all the semis as well as the finals?

You forget one...

Wade-Elliott-Burnley-v-Sh-001.jpg

Never saw the photo from that angle, I'm almost certainly in that photo somewhere, we were sat right behind the goal and not very far back (at a guess, my head is probably obscured by the bar).

theres 2 ways of looking at it
really

yes theres the pain of being so close and missing out

but

some clubs rarely get high enough often enough to feel the pain
perhaps we have lost more than most because we out perform a lot of clubs season in season out

we do compete , we rarely just make up the numbers
the play offs in their current form have been going 23 seasons, since 93

we have qualified for 9 ,
considering we had 4 relegations and 1 auto promotion , thats 9 out of 18 weve qualified in the top 6
50 % of the seasons we have been contenders , we should be proud of that
not just be negative all the time about it ,

the play offs in their current form have been going 23 seasons, since 93

we have qualified for 9 ,
considering we had 4 relegations and 1 auto promotion , thats 9 out of 18 weve qualified in the top 6
50 % of the seasons we have been contenders , we should be proud of that
not just be negative all the time about it ,

The playoffs in their current form have been going since 1989, not 1993. That's 27 seasons.
We have qualified for 7 in this time, not 9 (we also qualified in 1988 when teams at the bottom were included)
We have had 3 relegations since 1993, not 4
And we've had 3 automatic promotions since the playoffs assumed their current form, not 1
So it's actually 10 times in the top 6 in 22 seasons (5 being spent in the top league), not 9 out of 18.

Other than that, you've got the numbers spot on.

Maybe it's something in our genetic makeup as blades, but we tend to wallow in self-pity a fair bit.
Reckon it's a defence mechanism to help us cope with disappointment!

The playoffs in their current form have been going since 1989, not 1993. That's 27 seasons.
We have qualified for 7 in this time, not 9 (we also qualified in 1988 when teams at the bottom were included)

The page I looked up as usual started when the prem started , football didnt exist before then to some

the figures arent really that important

more the premise you have to get in them to fail in them
ie
you have to have performed well to get there , , the disappointment is deep and masks the fact we've got there
more often than most . Only 2/3 clubs have show similar consistency of performance throughout the seasons
Preston fans will enjoy there win more than most after so many more disappointments

We have had 3 relegations since 1993, not 4
And we've had 3 automatic promotions since the playoffs assumed their current form, not 1
So it's actually 10 times in the top 6 in 22 seasons (5 being spent in the top league), not 9 out of 18.

Other than that, you've got the numbers spot on.

In addition we were serious play off contenders in 1995, 1999, 2001 (arguably), 2004, 2005, 2008 (right at the end) and 2010.

Remember when we thought how boring it was being a perennial top half second tier team? What we wouldn't give now etc etc

Maybe it's something in our genetic makeup as blades, but we tend to wallow in self-pity a fair bit.
Reckon it's a defence mechanism to help us cope with disappointment!

If we were successful I'd miss being pitied, it's all I have these days

Finishing as Champions and winning a title this year,makes up for all those sodding awful journeys home that I've had to put up with over the last 20 years...And the sodding awful jibes and sniping from those twats in S6!
Not now though.And not after they had their chips pissed on the other week...
I fucking LOVE May!!!

That Palace game. It felt like we'd beat then easy after we hammered then a few weeks before .
That one was a bad one... but they've all been bad. But a last minute screamer, felt like a right kick in tje nuts

Well that's in the past and best forgotten, pleased to say that I'll be cheering on a team that plays in blue and white stripes on Monday - thank you Hudders.. ;)

how bad do you think I feel born May 26th, having to go through this shit every few years?

Not this year though :)

and you live in Wakefield. At least it's not Barnsley, unless you live in Sandall/Rhyhill/Notton in which case its North Barnsley

Back
Top Bottom