Hands up if you criticised NC's team selection

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 10407

That's why he's a manager and I'm a supporter. I was ranting he has given up on automatic playing a reserve team against th top of the league, how wrong I was pure genious and lots of the changes were forced on him.

Isn't football great

The ten changes were too many to comprehend any comments, way off the scale.

I criticised him when I heard the team and I still think there were too many changes, despite the result. Swindon would have been out of sight if they'd taken their chances in the first half. Apparently, Flynn was injured and Harris was unavailable due to a family bereavement but I couldn't see the justification for some of the other changes.

For me, the league is the priority and the PNE game on Tuesday is the one where players should, if necessary, be rested. Murphy, Scougall and McNulty should all have started today. If midweek exertions began to take their toll second half, bring on fresh legs then.

Imagine what we could have done to their back 4 with a full strength side.

I was shocked

I could understand one or two changes but not that many. Before kick off I was stood on the kop rehearsing what I was gonner say on here and on BM after the anticipated heavy defeat

Silly me :D

who picked the team.. nigel or kev?? i reckon Kev would rather us beat preston and get the rags in the next round for the cash

10 changes seemed too many.

We played like a team of strangers, which is what you would have expected from that many new faces playing together.

We got out of jail and were fortunate to win. Everyone should learn from situations and NC should (privately) hold his hands up and realise that if you keep doing that type of thing, you will get spanked more times than not.

I look forward to the "A" team on Tuesday.:), although I do hope the A team will not be saved until (hopefully) the next cup game after Tuesday evening.

UTB

Not me, I immediately thought about the Rotherham game last season.

Well played.

I said that. The two games that sprung to mind immediately were Peterborough and Rotherham at home.

I trust Clough's judgement. Believe it or not, he actually seems to know what he's doing even if we don't all like it most of the time.

I criticised him when I heard the team and I still think there were too many changes, despite the result. Swindon would have been out of sight if they'd taken their chances in the first half. Apparently, Flynn was injured and Harris was unavailable due to a family bereavement but I couldn't see the justification for some of the other changes.

For me, the league is the priority and the PNE game on Tuesday is the one where players should, if necessary, be rested. Murphy, Scougall and McNulty should all have started today. If midweek exertions began to take their toll second half, bring on fresh legs then.

Problem with resting players against Preston would be more difficult due to 4 of today's starters being cup-tied in the Ilkeston lads, Brayford and Coutts. Also a lot of the players will have been knackered mentally and looked knackered physically after Wednesday. Clearly justified in the end though.

Problem with resting players against Preston would be more difficult due to 4 of today's starters being cup-tied in the Ilkeston lads, Brayford and Coutts. Also a lot of the players will have been knackered mentally and looked knackered physically after Wednesday. Clearly justified in the end though.

Fair point.

Nope. You have to trust the managers judgement. He's the one who sees them in training everyday and knows who needs a rest.

After all what do we have a big squad for if we don't rotate?

My only real whinge and concern was regarding Higdon and in all honesty I think my concerns were proven to be more than justified again cos he put in another poor shift. He's extremely clumsy and I think I counted half a dozen stupid fouls in the first half hour, in fact he was lucky to have stayed on the pitch because I thought he was going when he took out one the swindon lad just before half time.

I did think it was a bit brave but I was excited about the level of creativity in the side.

When Deadly D'Jaffo showed me today's team, I was puzzled cos I was all for playing full strength in today's match rather than in Tuesday's replay. I was a bit annoyed especially during the 1st half when we played like a team of strangers at times. Full credit to the management for taking the risk that paid off!

Guilty. Thought 10 changes including 3 new signings was too much. More than happy to be proven wrong.

What did the Forest fans think when his Dads idea of preparation for a cup final was a session at the bar?

Not surprised at anything a Clough does.

10 changes seemed too many.

We played like a team of strangers, which is what you would have expected from that many new faces playing together.

We got out of jail and were fortunate to win. Everyone should learn from situations and NC should (privately) hold his hands up and realise that if you keep doing that type of thing, you will get spanked more times than not.

I look forward to the "A" team on Tuesday.:), although I do hope the A team will not be saved until (hopefully) the next cup game after Tuesday evening.

UTB

Sorry Fulwood, we were not fortunate to win. Their poor finishing and our good defending is nothing to do with luck. What specific good fortune did we have? What do you say about Ben Davies' free-kick?

Swindon did not take their chances so were not out of sight. That's their fault! It's football. I'm sorry, your attempts to somehow pretend we lost to justify your own views are feeble.

I thought we would be mentally shattered as much as anything else and as such there would be opportunity for some fringe players to play themselves up the pecking order. Plus, the spirit seems to be back and we've started competing again. Starting to think we'll be ok again now.

I was a bit shocked ...10 changes..he's got some Bollox to say the least against top of the league in a crucial must win game...He would have been slaughtered if we had lost...We've shown that whoever steps in can do a job against anybody now..no fear.

I was expecting three...

But who was really worried if they play to their potential??

Imagine the team when its full strength with the additions..

I wouldn't wanna play us anytime soon... frightening

Sorry Fulwood, we were not fortunate to win. Their poor finishing and our good defending is nothing to do with luck. What specific good fortune did we have? What do you say about Ben Davies' free-kick?

agree Pinchy . Its funny but true , the harder we are working , the more luckier we are getting.

We deserved the win , and Mr Clough knows what he is doing .

Couldn't believe the number of changes , worried - not one bit .

If any player in the squad is not good enough to play , get rid .

No more shit times at BDTBL.

UTB

I was surprised but pleased as there was less scrappy midgetry, though we needed Murph off the bench to win it.

I was puzzled by it definitely.

My initial thoughts were that he was resigned to the play offs and thought we'll get in them regardless. Not many beat Swindon so what's it matter.

Then, if we win Tuesday we set up a massive game against Man Utd. TV rights, gate receipts etc. to boot.

Let's be honest, we can't reach the top 2 so even if we had lost yesterday did it matter? We'll still reach the play offs.

What it does show is just how much strength we have in the squad now.

On the face of it. It wasn't the reserves anyway.

First choice RB & CB and Reed. Kennedy who has deputised many times before. Freeman who we know is capable at LB.

Debut for Coutts who looked great.

Start for Adams who most fans wanted to start.

It then gave a chance for the fringe players Higdon, Wallace and Davies.

10 changes is a lot but it wasn't like Rotherham where we did just throw the kids in

Swindon did not take their chances so were not out of sight. That's their fault! It's football. I'm sorry, your attempts to somehow pretend we lost to justify your own views are feeble.

Give over.

I posted in response to the question posed in the title of this thread.

If the result trumps all other considerations, Clough must be an all-seeing genius every time we win and a complete idiot every time we lose.

I can't see where I attempted "to somehow pretend we lost." But we clearly could have lost and we were reliant, as you say, on their poor finishing. And you talk about "our good defending" but some of it, especially first half, was very poor.

Back
Top Bottom