Grimsby Telegraph Mon 25th.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

silver blade

Reaction score
I dragged myself out of bed at 7am when I heard the local paper falling on my door mat, as I expected the Blades were on the headlines of both front & back pages.

Shame on You
says the front page, describes how the police had to be drafted in, with many of the so-called fans taking on the police because they couldn't get to the Grimsby fans.
They looked like a herd of wildebeest said one onlooker, while another had her car windscreen shattered, the bar owners lost hundreds of £'s but I'm not sure if they took into account the money they made before they had to close.
A comparison was made between the Blades fans & the similar number of aging mods who took over the same bars during a scooter rally a few weeks previously.

Blades Prove Too Sharp
Says the back page, the promotion favourites put on a better show than Hull as the Blades quality shone through.

PS not sure if it was mentioned on here previously but there manager Paul Hurst was Sheffield born & a life long Owls supporter who desperately wanted to win this one, he also played against us while at Rotherham.

The trouble from the fans is embarassing, a friendly againts Grimsby attracting trouble shows how mindless it is. Some mates of mine said they'd only just got off the train when fans started kicking fences down. If you can't stay out of trouble after a few beers you deserve a ban.

As for the result, considering what you say about Paul Hurst, the fact that Grimbsy probably wanted one over on us, it's probably a good simulation of some of the away matches we'll play this year, I'm happy with the result.

I dragged myself out of bed at 7am when I heard the local paper falling on my door mat, as I expected the Blades were on the headlines of both front & back pages.

Shame on You
says the front page, describes how the police had to be drafted in, with many of the so-called fans taking on the police because they couldn't get to the Grimsby fans.
They looked like a herd of wildebeest said one onlooker, while another had her car windscreen shattered, the bar owners lost hundreds of £'s but I'm not sure if they took into account the money they made before they had to close.
A comparison was made between the Blades fans & the similar number of aging mods who took over the same bars during a scooter rally a few weeks previously.

Blades Prove Too Sharp
Says the back page, the promotion favourites put on a better show than Hull as the Blades quality shone through.

PS not sure if it was mentioned on here previously but there manager Paul Hurst was Sheffield born & a life long Owls supporter who desperately wanted to win this one, he also played against us while at Rotherham.
No excuse for this behaviour whatsoever, but they fail to mention that smaller groups of blades ( with kids) were picked of by the Grimsby contingent of low-lives, and had it not been for other blades comming to their defence, innocent fans would have been hurt.
It's also been counter challenged by one blade supporter, reporting that blades after the game were herded onto the sea front by the police, and were then attacked by Grimsby fans lying in wait.
Some say it's easy to avoid such trouble if you really wanted to. But I don't know how, if your herded towards these cretins by the people that are paid to protect you.
Totally abhor this sort of behaviour, but if anyone's comming at me and mine to cause damage, and I can't get away from it, they're getting some back I'm afraid. And if fellow blades who see me and mine in trouble, I would be grateful for any assistance.
I know most of this as been covered elsewhere, but the local Grimsby press seem to think it was all one way, and it was retribution for the mindless thugs of Grimsby wrecking areas of Sheffield a few years ago.
We have our fair share of knob-heads like any other club, but this sort of reporting makes it sound like some sort of military operation.

I have to say that I didn't see any real trouble at all.

We were drinking away from the ground before the game. We did leave the pub to go for fish and chips and the afterwards wandered back to the same watering hole (Willys) to find it all locked up but the landlady was by the door and let us straight back in. She said that there had been some trouble up the road.

We stayed drinking a bit longer than we should and a local Grimsby fan called us a cab to get us to the ground on time.

We knew that things were likely turn nasty after the game so we left the ground about 10 minutes early (which we shouldn't have to) and walked down the sea front to the station in complete calm.

At the station we saw a bit of posturing by a few nob heads ( I think they were theirs but they could have been ours. They looked ridiculous any way ) but nothing approaching violent disorder. One in a burberry shirt and a couple in Ellesse sun hats looking like they had come straight from the 70s and about as hard as a lump of brie.

The train was about 15 minutes late in which didn't help matters but although it was packed solid it was also calm and peaceful all the way back to Donny where we got off.

I did read on the internet that the Grimsby Telegraph was talking about Police barricading hundreds of fans on the station but to be honest that was just a load of sensationalist bollocks unless it all happened after our train (the 17.26 going on 17.40) had left.

All in all a top day out.

No excuse for this behaviour whatsoever, but they fail to mention that smaller groups of blades ( with kids) were picked of by the Grimsby contingent of low-lives, and had it not been for other blades comming to their defence, innocent fans would have been hurt.
It's also been counter challenged by one blade supporter, reporting that blades after the game were herded onto the sea front by the police, and were then attacked by Grimsby fans lying in wait.
Some say it's easy to avoid such trouble if you really wanted to. But I don't know how, if your herded towards these cretins by the people that are paid to protect you.
Totally abhor this sort of behaviour, but if anyone's comming at me and mine to cause damage, and I can't get away from it, they're getting some back I'm afraid. And if fellow blades who see me and mine in trouble, I would be grateful for any assistance.
I know most of this as been covered elsewhere, but the local Grimsby press seem to think it was all one way, and it was retribution for the mindless thugs of Grimsby wrecking areas of Sheffield a few years ago.
We have our fair share of knob-heads like any other club, but this sort of reporting makes it sound like some sort of military operation.

Sorry but if you go looking for trouble you will invariably find it. If you don't you invariably won't. There are a given few who are unlucky but that is what they are, a few. Like all clubs we have a share of knob heads who go looking for this sort of thing. It's no worse than it previously was but let's be honest it isn't a big shock for a game V Grimsby to end up a punching match.

Absolutely agree about protecting your own Jonboy. I'd certainly do the same and would not stand by and watch any other innocents getting attacked. I hate mindless violence (and having come through the 70's and 80's I've seen my fair share) but I'm not going to turn the other cheek just because some muppet thinks they can take liberties.

Disagree, as has been pointed out, people who don't want any trouble are increasingly getting abused by our own fans

In which case the knob heads have gotten worse.

Disagree, as has been pointed out, people who don't want any trouble are increasingly getting abused by our own fans
In fairness to Bladesway, i agree with the first part of his comment because if you're looking for it you'll probably find it - but it's changed over recent years and I've noticed more and more innocent people getting caught up in bits of trouble. I said much the same about the trouble in Marseille with the Russians - yes the English did react and I'm not saying they were angels but there were lots of families eating in that square who were caught up in it and no-one is ever going to convince me that they were looking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, it's still rare BUT it's becoming less so.

There seems to have been a move away from organised 'firms' and those starting trouble are just yobs. With the 'firms' it was often organised beforehand away from the ground. Thus, it was unlikely that innocents would accidentally be in the middle of it. When it's groups of lads just hanging around looking for trouble then there is the likelihood of others being caught up in it.

I have zero time for violence full stop. Whether it be at a football match or on a Saturday night. It's idiotic. It's pointless. It serves no purpose other than making little men feel like they're something. They are nothing.

There needs to be a countrywide crackdown on it quickly because it's rapidly headed back to 80s and 70s territory without anyone having control over it With the cuts to police, I can't see this happening.

. You're thinking of the 80's. Hoolie wear in the 70's was dockers, Harrington coats, Ben Sherman and donkey jackets

You've forgotten Levi Sta Prest.

There seems to have been a move away from organised 'firms' and those starting trouble are just yobs. With the 'firms' it was often organised beforehand away from the ground. Thus, it was unlikely that innocents would accidentally be in the middle of it. When it's groups of lads just hanging around looking for trouble then there is the likelihood of others being caught up in it.

I have zero time for violence full stop. Whether it be at a football match or on a Saturday night. It's idiotic. It's pointless. It serves no purpose other than making little men feel like they're something. They are nothing.

There needs to be a countrywide crackdown on it quickly because it's rapidly headed back to 80s and 70s territory without anyone having control over it With the cuts to police, I can't see this happening.
Back in the day, it may well have been true that the top lads didn't kick off with civilians but there were always groups of wannabes. Cowardly cunts who'd only attack you if they had the numbers, often picking on groups of two or three, they weren't there for fighting, they were there to kick some fuckers' heads in and not get hurt in the process.
And regularly, places got trashed and people who had nowt to do with football got there premises smashed up

The idea of a golden age of chivalrous hooligans is a myth, perpetrated by trash films by the likes of Nick Love, and has helped to inspire a new generation of wankers, who get brave in a mob and would shit themselves one on one.

It was scary in the eighties (and, from what I've heard, even more so in the 70s when the coppers didn't give a fuck and there were regular pitched battles inside the ground) and it will put a lot of people off from going if it gets like that again.

Very very early. More late sixties in fact.

Everybody must be embarrassed by admitting they wore Rupert bear trousers, Ocford bags and such around that time.
Early 69-Early71 Skinheads
Early 71- Mid 72 Suedeheads

Back in the day, it may well have been true that the top lads didn't kick off with civilians but there were always groups of wannabes. Cowardly cunts who'd only attack you if they had the numbers, often picking on groups of two or three, they weren't there for fighting, they were there to kick some fuckers' heads in and not get hurt in the process.
And regularly, places got trashed and people who had nowt to do with football got there premises smashed up

The idea of a golden age of chivalrous hooligans is a myth, perpetrated by trash films by the likes of Nick Love, and has helped to inspire a new generation of wankers, who get brave in a mob and would shit themselves one on one.

It was scary in the eighties (and, from what I've heard, even more so in the 70s when the coppers didn't give a fuck and there were regular pitched battles inside the ground) and it will put a lot of people off from going if it gets like that again.

Completely agree on all points.

I note ID2 is due out soon as well which will note doubt please the animals.

From the press...

Named and shamed for all to see.

• Derem Smith, 27, of Bridby Street, Sheffield, was charged with assaulting a constable and using threatening/abusive words/behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress, and will appear at Grimsby Magistrates' Court on August 3
  • Brett Houldworth, 29, of Wadsworth Avenue, Sheffield, was charged with assaulting a constable and will appear at Grimsby Magistrates' Court on August 3.
  • Perry Keith Smith, 30, of Garland Close, Westfield, Sheffield, was charged with assault and will appear at Grimsby Magistrates' Court on August 3.

Very very early. More late sixties in fact.

Everybody must be embarrassed by admitting they wore Rupert bear trousers, Ocford bags and such around that time.
Oxford Bags , and platform shoes , oh and those 3 star jumpers .
Jesus you trend setter Darren , I'm shaking my head in shame now

Completely agree on all points.

I note ID2 is due out soon as well which will note doubt please the animals.
ID was based on true events and I have to confess that I've read the book by the undercover copper who helped write the film. Can't remember the author or title right now but it helped kill a long plane journey.

Early 69-Early71 Skinheads
Early 71- Mid 72 Suedeheads

Is have said late 68-70 and 70-71 LE. I certainly wouldn't have been seen dead wearing a Harrington in 1972. Prince of Wales check rather than Sta Prest as well.

Is have said late 68-70 and 70-71 LE. I certainly wouldn't have been seen dead wearing a Harrington in 1972. Prince of Wales check rather than Sta Prest as well.
Too right Sean Sheepskins and Crombies (and not the cheap shit from Harringtons in the Castle Market)
Footwear - brogues,loafers.

Too right Sean Sheepskins and Crombies (and not the cheap shit from Harringtons in the Castle Market)
Footwear - brogues,loafers.

Those Harringtions Crombies were laughably cheap and horrible. Made to measure was the way.
I always thought the Barathea blazer with a Yorkshire Rose badge was a great look.
There a few original skinheads (all approaching 65!) who run a ska night and all wear the original gear from the sixties. Not like the fifty year old "mods" who claim to have been around when it all started mid sixties.

Back
Top Bottom